Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

Old Jul 4, 2004, 10:03 am

Programs: HHonors, UA/MP
ES or Hilton

Seems like this has now gone full circle. I have been to both the ES and Hilton. Both are convenient to downtown area. ES is beautifully designed and historic. Excellent Bfast and good libations (Hefeweisen and blace bean salsa) at managers reception ES is also conventient to local pubs. Both offer convenient acces to good eating establishments. Hilton offers a continental bfast or $8 off full buffet. Both Hilton buildings (yes 2) have about the same bfast, but no Exec Lounge or managers reception. I have another stay coming up is Sept and have been able to get my Gov't rate at the ES and chose that over the Hilton, FWIW.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:39 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
On the budget end for reward stays, the Hampton Inn Clackamas is an Opportunity class property (7500 points per night). I'd rather stay at any of the above properties, but travelling alone (without the fam) I found this hotel just fine, and a bargain at the price.

Here is my review, originally posted in the thread Post Your Opinions On The Following Opportunity Class - 7,500 Point/Night Hotels!

I'm on my reward stay at this property right now, using the free high speed wireless available throughout the building. It's fast enough, and easy to use.

The hotel is right off the 205. It shares the parking lot with Denny's. The parking lot had some beer cans and bottles in it, but I've seen no other signs of trouble in the hotel or from the other guests.

Hint -- if coming from the north, instead of exit 12, take exit 13, and turn right at the off ramp onto SE 82nd Dr. You'll end up at the hotel quicker, avoiding a congested intersection.

Rooms are very small, but clean and in good shape. Staff has been OK, but not super.

Their are no suites or whirlpool rooms. I think I am now in the largest room possible, having sampled three of them during the checking process.

First I was put in 203, with two queen beds that barely seemed to fit. Then 409, this time one king, but instead of extra space, the room was actually smaller. Finally, I ended up in 428 the same size as the first room, but with one bed and an easy chair. Hardly spacious, but at least a little breathing room.

The website lists these rooms as
Single
Double Double
King Standard

Clearly, I'm in the King Standard now. Unless you need two beds, be sure to get this type. It was some work getting the better room. I felt a little resistance, but think the 100% satisfaction program worked in my favor to make the check in staff a little more pliable.

I was offered no Hampton Touch at check in, but seeing the fig newtons and bottled water behind the counter the next night, I received my touch with an apology upon asking. She seemed a little more responsive than the person at check in.

In summary, the rooms are small but fine, and the staff needs to treat Gold's a tad better. But for 7,500 points per night, this room is a bargain and I'd most likely stay here again.

Off to breakfast now... which is the standard fare plus hard boiled eggs and sausage gravy for your biscuits.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had good luck at the airport HGI. Their shuttle will take you the airport anytime for the cheap light rail. The full breakfast is fine and theparking and high speed internet is *FREE*.

And chose the nearby Comfort Suites for new clean huge rooms often for about $50/night incl *FREE* HSI.

MisterNice
Old Jul 22, 2004, 8:01 am

Hampton Inn Clackamas or Gresham area

I will be going to Portland in August and was hoping to use an opportunity level award at one of these Hampton Inns. Which Hampton is nicer and in a better location?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I think Gresham is a little nicer. Regarding location, its a little bit further from downtown but very close to the Columbia river gorge.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Hi ed926, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

I posted a detailed review of my stay at Clackamas in the composite review thread on Opportunity properties:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329545

However, those composite threads are not always that accessible for finding specific reviews, so I'll repost my comments here:
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
OR Portland/Clackamas

I'm on my reward stay at this property right now, using the free high speed wireless available throughout the building. It's fast enough, and easy to use.

The hotel is right off the 205. It shares the parking lot with Denny's. The parking lot had some beer cans and bottles in it, but I've seen no other signs of trouble in the hotel or from the other guests.

Hint -- if coming from the north, instead of exit 12, take exit 13, and turn right at the off ramp onto SE 82nd Dr. You'll end up at the hotel quicker, avoiding a congested intersection.

Rooms are very small, but clean and in good shape. Staff has been OK, but not super.

There are no suites or whirlpool rooms. I think I am now in the largest room possible, having sampled three of them during the checking process.

First I was put in 203, with two queen beds that barely seemed to fit. Then 409, this time one king, but instead of extra space, the room was actually smaller. Finally, I ended up in 428 the same size as the first room, but with one bed and an easy chair. Hardly spacious, but at least a little breathing room.

The website lists these rooms as
Single
Double Double
King Standard

Clearly, I'm in the King Standard now. Unless you need two beds, be sure to get this type. It was some work getting the better room. I felt a little resistance, but think the 100% satisfaction program worked in my favor to make the check in staff a little more pliable.

I was offered no Hampton Touch at check in, but seeing the fig newtons and bottled water behind the counter the next night, I received my touch with an apology upon asking. She seemed a little more responsive than the person at check in.

In summary, the rooms are small but fine, and the staff needs to treat Gold's a tad better. But for 7,500 points per night, this room is a bargain and I'd most likely stay here again.

Off to breakfast now... which is the standard fare plus hard boiled eggs and sausage gravy for your biscuits.
During my entire weekend, I never ventured east of earshot of the 205, so in other words I never got out to Gresham and have no way of comparing them for you.

LarryU's comments on location sound spot on, and I think Gresham is also a bit more upscale than Clackamas -- not that I felt like I was slumming it or anything, and again, by reputation only, as I never have been to Gresham .

I was quite pleased with how easy it was to get downtown from Clackamas, even during rush hour, using Route 224, an "express" type thoroughfare.

Gresham is served by the light rail system but the HI is not close to the station from what I can gather. I'm sure there is a bus near the Gresham location, though, and Clackamas, while rail-less, did have a bus route that I never used.

Here's a possibility: consider splitting your stay between the two. You'll get credit for two stays, and add a little variety.

Good luck, and please be sure to follow up and post your experience whichever way you go.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Jul 22, 2004 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I've been to both, and prefer the Greshem one, myself. Nothing wrong with Clackamas, but the rooms are a little on the small side. Clackamas has the advantage of being one freeway stop from the Mall, so tons of food and entertainment choices.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
Smile

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn/Gresham several times now, the night before an early flight out of PDX. I use to stay at the Hampton Inn at PDX but rates went up and they started charging for parking while you were away. This all added to the cost of my trips so I explored other options that would earn me Honors points.

This is a clean, quite hotel, with free shuttle service to PDX. The facility needs an upgrade but that should come with the overhaul with the Hampton brand. Staff are very helpful, goodies awaited me in my room which were helpful the next morning for those 6 am flights to the east!

I've never stayed at the Clackamas HI - it's close to more activity (shopping, etc.) so it depends on what you're planning to do. Gresham HI is just a few minutes up I-84 to a good outlet shopping center.

Room size (king, standard is what I request) is good - nice size bathroom too. Highly recommended for overnight stays when flying out of PDX (I live about 50 miles south of Portland, and overnighting in Portland is much easier), or if you're planning a tour through the Columbia Gorge - one of the most breath-taking spots on earth!
Old Aug 9, 2004, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Portland Mattress Run Report

Did some bed hopping to help clinch Diamond this week. Got to see properties at four different brands and price points.

1) Hampton Inn--Portland Airport--First impressions: More than adequate. Neither the swankiest HI I've been to, but far from the worst. Hampton Touch was water and Peanut M&Ms. Very friendly staff downstairs attended to breakfast and airport van, which provided quick pickup at PDX At $93, little more than I'm used to paying for HI, but got the job done.

2) Hiton Portland and Executive Tower--Used points to stay here. Was put in oversized corner room in Exec Tower, which has fewer amenities than Portland Tower across the street. The latter has nicer health club and full-service restaurant, where we had a Gold HHonors breakfast. Service on slow side, but food (mine a breakfast wrap with egg beaters), was surprisingly good. With a little persistence, you can avoid the $22 nightly valet parking ripoff and find a free spot on the street after six. Caveat: Need to move start feeding meters by 8, except for Saturday. The Hilton's lot has a $4 maximum rate on Saturdays and Sundays (not including overnight parking), so if you move the car off the street it won't cost a fortune.

3) Doubletree Lloyd Center. Stayed on a Saturday night, so street parking a breeze, saving $21. You can then ride the MAX light rail into downtown for free from right in front of the hotel. Property itself is decent, but on its way toward needing a renovation at least when it comes to decor. Health club on lame side, but surprisingly quiet given the size of the place. Tasty breakfast, though pancake sandwich turned out to be nothing more than two pancakes with bacon and eggs. Got the job done.

4) Hilton Garden Inn--Portland Airport. Unlike the HI, which is literally on airport property at the end of a runway. This is just three miles away, benefit being more restaurant choices in area. Otherwise, usual HGI fare. Business center unoccupied, which came in handy when I found out the room had free wireless access, and my company doesn't support wireless yet. But there's high-speed downstairs, along with a free water at check-in. Didn't try the b'fast, but at least smelled good. At $73 for a weekend rate on AAA, a deal.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Was just in Portland this weekend also. Stayed Friday night at Hilton Portland & Executive Tower. Was put in a smallish room in the Exec. Tower, 'tho it was on second-to-top (19th) floor. I was under the impression that there was an executive lounge, but I was wrong. Was given coupons for free continental breakfast or $8 off another menu item. I thought their buffet breakfast, both cold and hot, was very weak. Although I requested a king bed (and reconfirmed it twice during the prior week through Central Reservations - this hotel does not have its own reservations group, which I find a little odd), our room had two doubles. When I requested a king, was told that the only kings were in the Portland Tower and the rooms were not as nice there (contrary to murrayhill's perceptions). They offered to try to move me on Saturday night, which I would have done if I'd not been with hubby, who does not quite understand this whole FT move-from-one-place-to-another mattress run concept. Oh, well, he's sweet so I'll still keep him .

As it turns out, we learned that there was a big bike race Sunday a.m. through the city and that the bridges would be closed. Since we had a Sunday a.m. flight out, we decided to leave the downtown Hilton a day early and stay at the HI at the Airport (so I got a mini mattress run in anyways ). The dt Hilton was going to charge the $50 early departure fee, but I got them to waive it for me (a Gold).

Off we went to the Airport HI, which I quite liked. It would be very handy to stay there and take their shuttle to the airport and catch the MAX into town. Free parking, too. The staff are very friendly and helpful. murrayhill is right - it is right next to the north runway. If you like watching planes, ask for a room facing the runway (my guess is that not many people do, so there will be plenty available). However, it is likely to be rather noisy. Hubby noticed that we had two sets of double-paned windows on our room's window - you have to open both in order to get some outside air. No doubt to help with noise abatement. The breakfast selections were, I thought, more than adequate -- better, in fact, than the cold buffet offerings at the downtown Hilton. The main problem with the HI is that there is nowhere to go to eat lunch or dinner (except the Sheraton next door I suppose), without a car. And even with a car, it is a bit of a drive. But all-in-all, a nice HI.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:45 pm

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Bringing this really old thread back to the surface -

Went with the downtown Embassy for a labor day weekend stay. First time there, but hotel was as previously reported - great Gold upgrade to one of the oversize end suites (204) that includes the 8-person dining table in the living room. Staff was attentive and helpful (front desk said they didn't have a biz center per se, but gladly went on-line and printed out boarding passes for us).

Location is excellent - close to Saturday Market, downtown/Pioneer Square, the Pearl district (where there was an art festival), public transportation, etc. Because of the holiday, found ready on-street parking and avoided the parking fee.

Pool/fitness facilities are good. The breakfast and reception were nothing memorable, but OK. Nice historic hotel - especially impressive lobby. If back in downtown Portland, I'd want to stay here.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. July
Location is excellent - close to Saturday Market, downtown/Pioneer Square, the Pearl district (where there was an art festival), public transportation, etc. Because of the holiday, found ready on-street parking and avoided the parking fee.
Glad you enjoyed your stay in "my town". ^

You're welcome back anytime!
Maybe I should go check this property out sometime.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I'm sorry to rehash this yet again. But I have a question that wasn't explicitly answered in the above posts, and I'm kind of slow. I will be coming to PDX on 12/6 for for a one night stay on a mileage run. As a Hilton Gold VIP, would I be better off paying $84 to stay at the Hilton (non towers room) or $80 to stay at the Doubletree Lloyd Center? I arrive early enough in the day on the 6th that I will want to do as much sightseeing as can be done in a day. My flight back is at 8:30 AM on the 7th, so I should have plenty of time to get to the airport in the morning. Getting up early won't be hard since I'll still be on Eastern Time. Thanks for any advice!
Personally, I would pick the Hilton. Nicer hotel better located for shopping and dining.
Old May 23, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Transit to/from Portland, OR to Hampton Inns

I' be in Portland for a conference in June. Since I want to max out my earning potential with the stay 5 / 1 free, I'm thinking about one day stay at the two Hampton Inns in the area, since I'll be there for 4 days, that would be 4 stays for the promo.

Just wondering how convenient is the transit, specially the MAX light rail system, if I'm to commute to the Convention Center.

The HI are the one in Clackamas and Gresham.

Would any of the local people know if I'm giving myself WAY too much trouble or if it is achievable?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2005, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Super Larry
I' be in Portland for a conference in June. Since I want to max out my earning potential with the stay 5 / 1 free, I'm thinking about one day stay at the two Hampton Inns in the area, since I'll be there for 4 days, that would be 4 stays for the promo.

Just wondering how convenient is the transit, specially the MAX light rail system, if I'm to commute to the Convention Center.

The HI are the one in Clackamas and Gresham.

Would any of the local people know if I'm giving myself WAY too much trouble or if it is achievable?
Of the two (considering the MAX route), I think only the Gresham location is viable. Even so, it's about a mile away from the E 181 Ave. MAX stop on the blue line.

It may already be where you're staying, but you might wish to consider the Doubletree at Lloyd Center for one of your stays. It's located right on the MAX, two stops away from where you need to be (in the so-called "Fareless Zone," so your back and forth would be free). Also, there are a few Hilton-branded hotels at the airport that are not too far from the MAX.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.