Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Atlanta - Galleria {US-GA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embassy Suites Atlanta - Galleria {US-GA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2001, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Arrow Embassy Suites Atlanta - Galleria {US-GA}

for raising it's AAA rate by $88.00 nite. I stay in Atlanta about 12 times a year. A group of us always stay at this particular hotel because of location/preference/etc. and have really come to enjoy the property.

In '99, '00 we stayed there for the AAA rate of $84.00/nite and the best we can do with AAA is now $172.00. The regular rate is $109.00 while the senior rate has stayed the same ($84.00). I called AAA and they said there was nothing they can do about the rate a hotel charges.

I wish Hilton would look into this property because it is going to cost them the business of 4 couples who stay there quite regularly. A total of 48 stays between us. They also changed the award reservation category from (I hope this is right) Executive to Select. Meaning that it costs 5,000 more points per nite.

Oh well, there is always the Residence Inn around the corner for $69.00/nite...

Falcon56

[This message has been edited by Falcon56 (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old Mar 28, 2001, 12:24 pm

Falcon
Call back during "business hours" and ask for the sales/marketing department. I have gone over the front desk at the particular location several times and was able to negotiate with the sales department directly.
I actually was able to get the "Welcome Center Rate" off the little handouts at the welcome center for like $79 a night. Other rates to try for are Southern Living rate etc. Try this and let me know.
Cindi
Old Mar 29, 2001, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up cndij. Didn't know if this would work or not. My buddy had suggested it and is going to call and see what kind of rate he can get for all of us.
Thanks again.

Falcon56
Old May 29, 2001, 5:21 pm

Programs: FL, AA, DL
Marriott Resident Inn vs Embassy Suites

I'm looking at hotels in Smyrna, GA (just outside Atlanta). I've got booked now a studio at the Residence Inn. I stay in Marriotts primarily, so I know what that's like.

For $7 more a night, I can get a suite at Embassy Suites. (This is Embassy Suites Atlanta Galleria, for anyone who might have visited there.) The room is described as:

[block]
NON SMOKING 2-RM SUITE WITH KING BED-WET BAR LIVING ROOM-SOFA BED-2 TVS/PHONES.
[/block]

How does this compare to a Residence Inn? Is the bedroom separated by a door? Is it bigger/smaller? Nicer furniture? How does the kitchen compare?
Old May 29, 2001, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never stayed at a Residence Inn, but I love Embassy Suites. They have free made to order breakfasts and if this doesn't sway your vote... free "manager's happy hour" in the late evening!
Old May 29, 2001, 8:04 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've stayed at both and have found that Embassy Suites are a bit more upscale than Residence Inns. Residence Inns are more geared towards longer term (week or more) guests. Breakfast that's included at Residence Inn is generally a continental breakfast. Embassy Suites was a higher-line product of Promus before Hilton took over Promus.
Old May 29, 2001, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Well, for $7 more dollars and you get breakfast for you and whoelse in your room?? Def. Embassy Suite for me!! Plus, generally good experience w/ ES during our last yr few stays at diff. loc.
Old May 29, 2001, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
as much as i'm generally a big fan of the hilton family of properties, i must say that i've had several subpar experiences at embassy suites, but have never had a bad stay at a residence inn. i've stayed in them for as long as a week and for as short a time as a single night.

many of the embassy suites i've stayed in have been rather shabby. i think of them not so much as true suites, but as really big hotel rooms. they're great for families, though, with a door separating the two rooms, one of which is a bedroom and one which is equivalent to a parlor or den.

the true comparison might be between homewood suites and residence inn. that's a tougher call, but even there i like the residence inns because they're like little townhouses or condo apartments, often duplexes... and always with full kitchens (like homewood suites).

some residence inns have added more extensive free buffet breakfasts (perhaps to remain competitive with homewood and embassy), as opposed to continental breakfasts.

but as for choosing embassy suites or residence in smyrna... these things always boil down to being property-specific, rather than chain-specific. try to consult guidebooks or find someone who's stayed at each in that location. it might just happen that it's a really superior residence inn and a really lousy embassy suites.

or vice-versa.
Old May 29, 2001, 10:12 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ES!
Old May 29, 2001, 10:44 pm
dvb

I would definitely stay at Homewood Suites than Embassy Suites....a lot more relaxed and more to offer at the same price...as compared to Residence Inn, there is many older properties than Homewood Suites.
Old May 30, 2001, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I agree Homewood vs. RI is a better comparison but since that isn't the question here are my viewpoints:

Advantages of RI over ES
Full Size Fridge vs. dorm size fridge
Stove top (occasional Conventional ovens) vs. no stove or oven,
Kitchen area larger (although not a large kitchen)
Full set of utensils, plates, bowls, pots, pans etc
Usually lower rates and can be even lower with longer stays
Many RI (not all) have deals with independent gyms locally
Phone calls usually .50 for local, most ES I've been at are $1.00 for ea local

Advantages of ES over RI
Made to order breakfast vs. buffet style breakfast,
Inside entrances to room vs. Outside entrances for most RI (not all)
10 pts per $1 Hh, vs 5pts per $1 MR

Toss ups
Both have separate bedrooms separated by a door,
both have living areas off the "kitchen" area
happy hour 7 days/wk (including mixed well drinks) at the bar with snacks vs. light meal at RI with beer and wine only (mon thru Thurs)
TV in BR and Living area
Sofa Beds for couches available at each

Thats about all I can think of for the time being. I would also say that I would compare the ES more to the Marriott Suites than the RI and the Homewood Suites to the RI. Then the differences are much harder to distinguish
Old May 30, 2001, 9:19 am

Points issues aside, I'd vote for ES.

Embassy Suites includes a full American breakfast -- eggs, bacon, juice, donuts, the works. Residence Inn has varying breakfast opportunities.

I've never had a bad stay @ an Embassy Suites, though I've had some bad ones @ Residence Inns.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.
Old Jun 4, 2001, 10:13 am

Embassy Suites Atlanta

Has anyone stayed at the Embassy Suites on Akers Mill Road in Atlanta?

I am booked there for a couple of upcomming biz trips and was curious about the place. Do the Embassy Suites offer any upgrades, etc for Gold members?
Old Jun 4, 2001, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
all the embassy suites i've ever stayed in, including the one i'm now, maintain a constant hum... with noise coming from the people in and activities taking place around the center atrium.

this starts at 6 AM or so with the clinking and clanking of the breakfast set-up, continues full throttle through 10 AM or so and then picks up again for several hours before and after the evening manager's reception. this noise can range from a fairly pleasnt low level "white noise"... to young children running back and forth at all hours unsupervised... to intolerable whooping and hollering from drunken guests (or prom, graduation or event attendees.)

trying to work in the parlor room, or even enjoying a night of televison or the company of business associates or friends is often impossible with the noise... which sometimes renders the front room essentially useless.

just another reason residence inn wins out over embassy, in my opinion.
Old Jun 5, 2001, 1:52 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Hmmmm......no mention of the mattress yet. 3" thick piece of foam at RI versus a real mattress at any Hilton property. But you know that already because you're a Marriott fan.

Unless the Atlanta ES is a worn out property, your best value would be ES.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.