Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Which one was that?
Athenaeum Grand Hotel

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ns_Attica.html

Last edited by nk15; Jan 29, 2018 at 7:43 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
had a nice stay this past weekend--booked two rooms on points for family of four and got upgraded to exec floor, acropolis view (which is magical at night if not so much during the day). as gold was given a choice of breakfast in the lounge or the restaurant. staff super friendly and helpful. taxis are cheap so being slightly out of the center wasn't a problem (5 Euros from the hotel to the Acropolis entrance). saunas and steam rooms are in the locker rooms so single sex;shower caps required in the pool but not the jacuzzi. All in all a great hotel for Honors benefits, friendliness, etc. though 50,000 points per room is admitedly still a fair bit (cash rates for our period were over 200 Euros).
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond
This is a new one for me. Back in October, I booked this hotel for 4 nights in early June on points. My plans have changed a little bit and I have the opportunity to celebrate with friends on Mykonos for 2 of the 4 days I have booked. I went to the website to change the reservation and it would not let me. The hotel is now sold out as well. I called the Honors line and they tried to change the reservation as well, and it was blocked out. They indicated that since the hotel is sold out, they are not allowing this to change. HUCA...same result. So, its either stay all 4 nights or cancel.

One one hand, I guess I understand that they would make more revenue if I just cancelled my points stay (rooms were going for close to $400 a night when I checked last week). But I have just never run into this policy before.

I am probably going to just cancel the reservation and extend my time in Mykonos. I am sure I will find another use for the 200,000 points. Has anyone ever run into this before?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
One one hand, I guess I understand that they would make more revenue if I just cancelled my points stay (rooms were going for close to $400 a night when I checked last week). But I have just never run into this policy before.

Depending on the occupancy (as the hotel is sold out), Honors will be paying full rate for you points stay.

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I am probably going to just cancel the reservation and extend my time in Mykonos. I am sure I will find another use for the 200,000 points. Has anyone ever run into this before?
Changing a reservation basically means making a new one. If there is no availability on the two nights that you need you won't be able to change. If you cancel the four nights stay the room may go back to availability, but there is no guarantee of course.

Last edited by Andriyko; Feb 19, 2018 at 1:33 am
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko

Depending on the occupancy (as the hotel is sold out), Honors will be paying full rate for you points stay.

[color=#333333]

Changing a reservation basically means making a new one. If there is no availability on the two nights that you need you won't be able to change. If you can the four nights stay the room may go back to availability, but there is no guarantee of course.
Exactly, that is why I really have no choice. I am not paying 4 nights and only staying 2, and I am not going to try to change the reservation only to get locked out. So, I will cancel and save Athens for another day. I just have not experienced this before.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Can anyone comment on if the property has a good track record allowing late checkouts for Diamond members? We only need a one night stay as we are coming in from Mykonos around 2 pm and then flying back to the US the next day. We are booked on Emirates to EWR and the flight doesn't leave Athens till 5:30 pm. Currently have a Marriott group hotel booked but they also do NOT offer confirmed late checkout since they are part of the Design Hotel brand. Location for the Marriott option is better IMHO but since we have been to Athens before and are only staying one night it isn't that big of a deal.
MrHilton likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Their official check-in time is 4pm, the latest I have ever seen at any hotel, so they shouldn't be too stingy. When I stayed there I was offered late checkout without prompting but I didn't need it. Anyway you can stay in the lounge if they really want you out of the room.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:36 am

Thanks for the info on the check-in time which I was not aware of and which might help ask for a late check-out.

Originally Posted by :D!
Anyway you can stay in the lounge if they really want you out of the room.
Not sure that is what I want or I could just go to the airport and stay in the EK Lounge.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Thanks for the info on the check-in time which I was not aware of and which might help ask for a late check-out.

Not sure that is what I want or I could just go to the airport and stay in the EK Lounge.
Assuming that the OP has access to EK lounge
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your flight is at 1730, leaving an hour to get to the airport, and bring there 2 hours before, you are looking for what 2pm, maybe 2:30, not really a big ask or big deal at any property......
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Your flight is at 1730, leaving an hour to get to the airport, and bring there 2 hours before, you are looking for what 2pm, maybe 2:30, not really a big ask or big deal at any property......
One would assume not but I have encountered more instances than I care to remember where 2.5 hours seemed to actually be a "big ask or big deal."
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by christianj
Can anyone comment on if the property has a good track record allowing late checkouts for Diamond members? We only need a one night stay as we are coming in from Mykonos around 2 pm and then flying back to the US the next day. We are booked on Emirates to EWR and the flight doesn't leave Athens till 5:30 pm. Currently have a Marriott group hotel booked but they also do NOT offer confirmed late checkout since they are part of the Design Hotel brand. Location for the Marriott option is better IMHO but since we have been to Athens before and are only staying one night it isn't that big of a deal.
Depends on the occupancy - anyhow you don t need to check out that late if you are at the airport at check in time. 2pm will work and thatīs should be no problem with normal occupancy.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Just spent 2 nights at the ATHENS HILTON.
Checked in at 330pm - We had a large group - 5 total rooms - relatively no issues
Property is very nice and Staff was very polite.
Galaxy Bar on the roof was great - go there at Sunset or after - the view is worth the price of the drinks!
will return next time despite having no HH status

__________________________________________________ _____________
2019 cities: ATH, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, ORD, STL
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nk15

I actually stayed in an amazing brand new 4-star hotel in the same area (with free breakfast, luxury toiletries, sleepers, etc) in December for $40-50, using a basic OTA discount. Hilton was pricing 4-5x that.
Originally Posted by nk15
Are you sure that was the name? I'm pretty certain there's a similarly names place just down from the Intercontinental So quite a hike from the Hilton...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:54 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just had a two-night stay at Hilton Athens. I originally booked Marriott Athens, but it is on the West side and close to the port, not the airport. I also booked New Hotel in Plaka. But the room is small and can only accommodate two adults. Also, I do not like its decor, too fancy for us. Hilton is the best choice for us. It is on the airport side, and X95 bus is right at hotel door front. It is just a 5 euro taxi ride to anywhere city center if you do not want to walk 10 to 15 minutes.

The hotel itself is still grand. We received a club level upgrade and have access to club lounge. It offers breakfast and limited evening snacks and hard drinks.

Since we were busy touring, we did not stay a lot of time at hotel room. I do not see any need to book anything like King George or GB in the dead city center. It is just a waste of points or $$.

I'll write a more detailed review when I get time. We'd like to stay there again when we return.

Do not spend your hard earned $$ on hotel rooms. Go outside and explore. Spend $$ to book some tours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.