Hilton Athens {GRC}

Old Mar 15, 2003, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Is Coke Glass statue still out front!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 1:27 am
Original Member

Athens, Greece

I'll be traveling to Athens, Greece in August. I'd appreciate any advice and information regarding the City Hilton of Athens. Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:12 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Renovated Athens Hilton vs. Ledra Marriott

Assuming my flights don't cancel, I will be in Athens later this spring and have narrowed my hotel choices to the Hilton or the Marriott -- I'm Silver in both programs. At the Marriott, I have a Concierge Level room at a highly discounted rate. At the Hilton, I will be using HHonors points and will be getting a room with a balcony and Acropolis view (but not on an Exec Level). Which way should I go?

[This message has been edited by prh (edited 03-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by prh (edited 03-26-2003).]
Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Do a search - think this was discussed recently either on this forum or Marriott.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I have no idea where the Hilton is located but the Ledra is quite a distance from the center of town. I would want to find out what kind of shuttle they have now. We stayed there quite a while ago and found getting into town was a hassle. Had to use a cab at night. I was wishing we were located near the old market so we could walk around at night.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 8:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Can't say that the Hilton is in a great location either. Easy enough to get places by cab, but there is a certain charm in being able to walk to the Plaka or around neighborhoods with things to see/do. The Hilton, though recently rennovated does not offer easy walking access to anything.

Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Athens Hilton

Has anyone stayed there since it reopened? Is construction completed? What is it like?
Old May 12, 2003, 3:12 pm

Location: Lawrenceville, GA**DL GM**HH Diamond**Airtran Elite
Any updates from recent stays at the Athens Hilton?

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2003, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed from 4/6 to 4/12 on a GLON award. They only have 5 floors open. The lounge is fantastic. Good breakfast and good snacks in the evening. I only had to buy lunches. Rooms are very nice and staff is great. Had room on 10th floor that looked at the Acropolis. There was a crane out front as construction is still going on but it was removed the last day. It was below room level so did not really hinder the view. coffee shop and roof restaurant are open and the gift shop. No pools or exercise room yet. No computers in the business center as high speed lines had not been hooked up. Did not try one in room but suspect same story. Rooms are very modern and comfortable with balconies you can sit on. As a Diamond was treated excellent and upgraded to executive floor. Staff very helpful in arranging rental car and giving maps and directions and setting up 1 day 3 island cruise. Don't settle for first thing given if having them setup rental car. 3rd try was what got me what I wanted, unlimited miles, insurance and 2 days. Kosmos rental. 164 euros. Most only allow 100km per day. I drove over 900 km during the 2 days had car but saw a lot.

I would highly recommend the Athens Hilton.

Points and stay posted in about a week after checked out. Yes it was an award stay.
Old May 19, 2003, 11:04 am

Location: Lawrenceville, GA**DL GM**HH Diamond**Airtran Elite
Anybody remember how far the Hilton is from Syndagma Square?

Also, what is the nearest Metro station to the Hilton.
Old May 19, 2003, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is about a 15-30 minute walk to the square depending on how fast you walk. Hilton has a shuttle that runs once an hour. I just walked as the timing did not work to use the shuttle. There is a Metro station about 2 blocks away.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 10:15 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I stayed there on an award stay on June 15 & 16. I am VERY pleased about my overall experience in this hotel.

The hotel is very modern and looks very ....say, kind of like the Matrix was shot in its lobby, futuristic? Lots and lots of marble everywhere.

As a Gold, I was upgraded and checked in the Executive Floor on the 11th floor. Very smooth checkin process. I was given a room on the 10th floor with a magnificent view of the Acropolis. We got a big bottle of some fancy water each day and a very nice welcome letter by the manager. We had requested a bed for our 5 year old which was neatly set up. The rooms are smaller than the US standard rooms but still very comfortable. A very nice bed with plenty of very nice pillows, so nice in fact that we decided to request a baby crib for our 10 month old so mommy and daddy can take advantage of this bed and then have the chance to drink coffee in the balcony looking at the Acropolis early morning The staff was there almost immediately and set it up for us.

The bathroom had a nice size tub and the water pressure was great. The floor was all marble and it also had a stand up shower. Two bath robes we took advantage of and those cute Hilton slippers. The bathroom wall is kind of a see through material, you can actually see the person in there taking a bath while laying on the bed. The shampoos, soaps and lotions were also super nice too.

A small TV with plenty of channels. Pay per view movies was $9.50 per movie.

The lounge was on the 11th Floor, in one word: Awesome! VERY spacious with two TVs, plenty of papers and magazines and constantly full of all kinds of tasty goodies, including booze. Sitting in its balcony with the view of the Acropolis was really cool too. Staff was outstanding!

The gal at the lounge right off the elevators was also very sweet. I broke my Visor PDA and lost all contact info of my former college roomate. I remembered the street he used to live on and she spent some time tracking him down and got me his current phone number, god bless her soul.

The bar at the top of the hotel also has spectacular views, it should be an awesome setting for a date with some wine (with two young kids, forget it!).

The day we were there another restaurant opened. But still a lot of construction going on at the pool and gym, they should be ready in the Fall. I did not eat in any restaurant here, way too expensive. With the food in the lounge you definitely don't need to pay to eat much anyway.

There is a very convenient metro stop in the next block which can take you all over Athens. Syntagma Square is 10 to 15 minutes walking. There is a shuttle but operates only from 10 to 2 on the hour.

Athens is a construction parking lot to get ready for the Olympics. Soon the metro line to the Airport will be completed too.

Unfortunately, the stay credit & points for incidentals has not been posted yet 3 weeks later.

I will definitely be back in this hotel next time I am in Athens, very worth the 25,000 per night!
Old Jul 6, 2003, 10:26 pm
pax

I second gpapadop's comments. Athens Hilton is superb in service, rooms and facilities.

I stayed at the Hilton using points from June 10 to 14. Had a wonderful experience.

I booked my room earlier this year when I was still Gold VIP. I dropped to Blue in May. When I called in early June to reduce my stay by one day, I noticed that the revised reservation didn't show Gold VIP anymore after they revised my reservation (it was there when I did the original booking).

I expected to be treated as a non-status member at the Hilton but to my pleasant surprise when I checked in on the main floor, I was asked to check in at the Executive Floor and I received all the benefits of a Gold VIP! I also had a room on the 10th floor with Acropolis view.

By the way, Athens Hilton is the official hotel for the 2004 Olympics. I'm confident the Olympic guests will find the hotel to be one of their highlights too.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:18 am

Email address for Athens Hilton?

If anyone has this, would you please post it?

Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Athens Hilton a Real Gem!

I just returned from a stay and I have to say this is a property to watch. They have gone all out for the Olympics. This is my favorite Hilton after Rome Cavalieri. The pool wasn't ready yet but I'm sure it will rock by next summer. I look forward to spending many summers at this property. You have to check out the rooftop restaurant...it blows "La Pergola" out of the water at a fraction of the price. Great job Hilton!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.