Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nldogbert
eg. no room slippers, bikini's, singlets, etc this should be fine - but why slippers?
Because they don't want to have a 3 page dress code for the EL. And since guests wearing room slippers around the hotel is for some reason more prevalent in Asia, it was probably easier to just say slippers in general are banned.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:55 am

I was in a T-Shirt, “dress shorts” (i.e. not a bathing suit) and sandals. I told the front desk I wanted to go to the lounge but assumed I was not dressed appropriately. They said I was fine. I went as dressed. No odd looks from guests or staff.

TD
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by Cynicor
There is no tipping culture in Singapore. You don't tip the doormen and don't need to tip for bags.
Thank you for asking, please don't bring it here!!

Although I agree it’s not expected, it’s always appreciated. I usually tip housekeepers every few days and the doormen on leaving, especially where service has been good. I also tip if I’m leaving a bag in long term storage. If during a month stay I’ve spent $50-100 in tips to housekeeping, I’m not too concerned versus the overall cost, probably less than 1%. One thing markedly different from most other developed countries is that tips are genuinely appreciated and often result in little notes of thanks ... I’ve even had small gifts in return sometimes, or extra chocolates etc (try tipping a taxi Uncle and you’ll have made his year, or take your own tray to the collection area in a hawker after eating ... it’s nice to be nice). People are very proud to be recognised for good service, and I’ve no doubt many in the service industries in Singapore are looked down on, yet work extremely hard. There’s the old adage that it’s not clean, it’s cleaned! Keep in mind that Singapore wages in the service sector are often shockingly low given the cost of living, with many elderly staff, and the service sector as a whole is unremarkable - it’s the exception to the norm to find good service, certainly compared to places like Thailand and Indonesia. On the occasion I find good service, I therefore don’t mind showing my appreciation, whether it be in Singapore or elsewhere.

Last edited by EGW1; Jul 14, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I was in a T-Shirt, “dress shorts” (i.e. not a bathing suit) and sandals. I told the front desk I wanted to go to the lounge but assumed I was not dressed appropriately. They said I was fine. I went as dressed. No odd looks from guests or staff.

TD
for breakfast at Oscars I wore tshirt,shorts and slippers
for afternoon tea at level 4 lounge by the pool same attire
for level 31 evening cocktail I wore long pants and sneakers.no issue
At check in,the receptionist said for the Executive Lounge at Level 31 shoes is the dress code priority.having said that a few guest that wore Birkenstock was allowed entry or maybe they were too busy to enforce this at evening cocktail
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:11 pm

The only rule on the 31rst floor was no flip flops. I was always in shorts and t-shirts and it was fine tough we were maybe 3 ppl max wearing shorts during the 4 days I spent there.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for all the advice to date. I will be staying at the Conrad for 4 nights ( 23-27th July) with 2 nights at the Hilton on orchard road to compare and contrast ( first time in Singapore)- I decided to pay for an Executive King ( even though I'm Diamond) as it was only a few $ more than the Premium King .
I do have a 9pm flight back from SIN to DOH and EDI but will see if I can get a 2-3pm check out as I want to spend some time at the Jewel before the SIN lounges. Looking forward to exploring Fort Canning, Orchard Road, the Gardens by the Bay, Universal Studios and Little India and maybe the Marina Bay sands and the singapore flyer

Regards

TBS

Update: I plan on sightseeing in the morning, back to the hotels in the early afternoon for a dip in the pools and a shower ( due to the humidity) and then go out again

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 14, 2019 at 1:33 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Thanks for all the advice to date. I will be staying at the Conrad for 4 nights ( 23-27th July) with 2 nights at the Hilton on orchard road to compare and contrast ( first time in Singapore)- I decided to pay for an Executive King ( even though I'm Diamond) as it was only a few $ more than the Premium King .
I do have a 9pm flight back from SIN to DOH and EDI but will see if I can get a 2-3pm check out as I want to spend some time at the Jewel before the SIN lounges. Looking forward to exploring Fort Canning, Orchard Road, the Gardens by the Bay, Universal Studios and Little India.

Regards

TBS
Hi TBS,
A few suggestions as this is your first time in SIN and this Conrad and the Hilton.

The Hilton is mid-grade for Asia standards, but definitely nice enough, especially if there is a big price difference vs. the Conrad. While there, I would try to visit the Botanical Gardens, which are quite close by. They are very impressive, but should you go, be prepared to take a shower afterwards. Lots of walking around in very humid conditions (duh). There are also more malls around this area, if you are into those..

As for the Conrad, there is plenty to do within a reasonable walking distance, or by taking the metro. I love visiting the Lau Pa Sat hawker market at any time, but especially in the evening when they close down the street for competing Satay stands- https://www.visitsingapore.com/see-d...al/lau-pa-sat/ . Just know to bring your own paper napkins and wet wipes, especially if eating the shrimp (trust me).

Chinatown is crowded, but great for people watching while enjoying a large cold Tiger Beer (my preference). I have a lot of favorites in Singapore, but this isn't the right thread to share all of them ;-).

The Conrad will let you checkout and still access the EL prior to your departure back to EDI. I would recommend spending more of your time there rather than too much time at the OW lounges at SIN. Better F&B.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by wantan
T-3 days to check in, seems I've been upgraded to Exec Room from base already as NOR1 to suite is now SGD150 and there's no NOR1 to Executive (previously SGD90).

Any advice if I should just select the NOR1 now or does anyone has experience / tips of getting an even better rate ? Quite reluctant to email the property, past experience in other Asian properties they would reply with an up sell rate similar to Hilton website BAR which is much higher.
just completed my stay. went for the NOR1 upgrade for SGD150 which was accepted on morning of check-in (did OLCI).

However when I arrived for check in at 4pm, was told room I had OLCI-ed on 25th wouldn't be ready till 9pm (reason: guest was only leaving at 8pm) but I could check in to a room on 8th floor.Tried asking if I could have any other floor that was higher but the receptionist was adamant 8th was the only Suite left .... No biggie to me, view of Suntec from that level made it look like I was in a star-trek like backdrop

What irked me was that when asked if I could have late check-out ... lamely offered a 1pm because "somebody has already booked that room." My stay was for 5 nights so I'm quite sure it was just an excuse.

Apart from that, was a pleasant stay throughout.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:09 pm

What is "NOR1"?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
What is "NOR1"?
it's an option to upsell higher category rooms. usually at a lower price than booking the room outright. eg: I booked my base room at SGD270 + NOR1 SGD150 = SGD420/night. Booking via Hilton would have been ~SGD600.

but you'd only know what the NOR1 rate is AFTER making the original booking, so while it's cheaper most of the time, check the Hilton website for the direct rate to be sure you're not paying more for nothing.

there's usually a link in the original Hilton reservation confirmation email and in the Hilton app (Request Upgrade button).
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

I am here just now enjoying breakfast in the 31st floor el on a beautiful sunny morning so far. The stay has been good so far and will post details when I am home next week as I leave on saturday night and have access to a desktop pc

having booked an executive room I got a executive room with marina view but was able to get a 3pm checkout for saturday

regards

tbs

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 25, 2019 at 4:09 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi.

I am here just now enjoying breakfast in the 31st floor el on a beautiful sunny morning so far. The stay has been good so far and will post details when I am home next week as I leave on saturday night and have access to a desktop pc

regards

tbs
Enjoy! Looking forward to reading about your experiences..
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I booked a Deluxe King room for a 1 night stay. I was happy to see that I was upgraded to an Executive King room the day before through OLCI... I was even more ecstatic to learn that I was upgraded to a Centennial Suite when I arrived! I asked for a late check out since I have a late flight. Since the next guests for the room are arriving late, I was told I can check out at 6 pm.
​​​​​
I'm lounging at the pool as I type this. It truly has been a very short, but very sweet stay at the Conrad Singapore!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I booked a Deluxe King room for a 1 night stay. I was happy to see that I was upgraded to an Executive King room the day before through OLCI... I was even more ecstatic to learn that I was upgraded to a Centennial Suite when I arrived! I asked for a late check out since I have a late flight. Since the next guests for the room are arriving late, I was told I can check out at 6 pm.
​​​​​
I'm lounging at the pool as I type this. It truly has been a very short, but very sweet stay at the Conrad Singapore!
Other than Exec Lounge access, whats the difference between a Deluxe and Executive roon?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Other than Exec Lounge access, whats the difference between a Deluxe and Executive roon?
I'm not sure besides the possibility of an xtremely better view of the Marina Bay...When I did ONCI, I was on the 31st floor facing Marina Bay. Never had the chance to check it out since I went straight to a Centennial Suite...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.