Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:33 pm

I was there over the weekend too, checking in around 5PM on Saturday. Lounge was a zoo every single time I entered. Why on earth would the designer place a communal table in the Exec Lounge? Not very impressed with the redesign. The adjacent room with floral carpet looks very out of place. Didn't check out the (I assume) "temporary" lounge on 30F.

My complaint with the standard room is that the trash bin is so hidden (aesthetically pleasing, but not practical) - that most guests would miss it. Soon there will be a label on top of the cabinet. On my stay, housekeeping even missed emptying it.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bamboola
I spent two nights this past weekend at the CCS. As a Diamond member, I was upgraded to a room on the 31st floor and given lounge access. From earlier posts, I knew the fourth floor lounge was under renovation and that I could use the 31st floor lounge.

While most lounges offer food and drinks for a two-hour period between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m., the CCS lounge offerings are extended from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. I checked in at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday. I had expected the 5:30 crowd to have already vacated the lounge, but it was still packed at 7:00 p.m. People were literally elbowing each other at the buffet table. It took some time before I found an empty table and for a server to take a drink order.

I have stayed here a handful of other times and had not witnessed such a busy lounge on prior stays. In addition to the main room, there were three other nearby rooms that had been converted for use by lounge patrons. I only saw children in one of the nearby rooms so I presume children are not allowed in the main room.

The following morning I had the opportunity to speak with a member of the management team. I spoke candidly with him and said that many Diamond members are not happy about the two-tier Exec Lounge system. I commented on the previous "champagne on 31 and sparkling wine on the fourth floor" policy. He assured me that once the fourth floor lounge reopens, the food and beverage offerings would be exactly the same in both lounges. Champagne in both lounges? Yes, he confirmed. However, there will be a difference in the dress code; shorts will be permitted in the fourth floor lounge. Children will also be allowed on the fourth floor. The 31st floor will be open to all eligible guests who meet the dress code. The hope is that business people will gravitate to the 31st floor lounge and that tourists will head to the fourth floor. The manager also revealed that on this particular weekend, there were well over 100 Diamond members staying at the hotel.

I asked about eliminating the buffet system to avoid congestion and switching to a delivered tray of food - a system used by the Conrad Tokyo and Bali. The manager stated that due to the offerings at competitor hotels, a buffet was necessary. How about switching to sparkling wine in both lounges as a cost-cutting measure? "Absolutely not," he replied. "We are a Conrad property!"

The manager asked what I thought of the newly renovated rooms. On prior stays, I had always stayed in a Centennial Suite so I couldn't comment on the changes to an Executive room. The manager pointed out that the bathroom now has two sinks (definitely a "must" in my eyes). He also pointed out that most room occupancy is now 2.5 people - parents, plus a child. The long sofa along the window can serve as a bed for the child.

My chat with the manager was an eye opener for me. I thought I had answers to some perceived problems, but the CCS has to consider the nature of its clientele, staying competitive in the market, and upholding the Conrad brand reputation. The chat has helped me to think twice before I have a future DYKWIA moment.
Very interesting and positive update, if they follow through. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Surprised by the champagne comment, since it is a rare Conrad that offers it rather some form of sparkling wine in the EL. Nevertheless, now looking forward to my next visit.. will be sure to have "evening" clothes for the 31st floor lounge access ;-)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:01 pm

I was similarly surprised. This Conrad hasn't had champagne for a couple of years at all until they redid the lounge.

i will wait to see how the redone lounge on the 4th is received on here before I bother coming back!

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Very interesting and positive update, if they follow through. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Surprised by the champagne comment, since it is a rare Conrad that offers it rather some form of sparkling wine in the EL. Nevertheless, now looking forward to my next visit.. will be sure to have "evening" clothes for the 31st floor lounge access ;-)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
I asked about eliminating the buffet system to avoid congestion and switching to a delivered tray of food - a system used by the Conrad Tokyo and Bali. The manager stated that due to the offerings at competitor hotels, a buffet was necessary. How about switching to sparkling wine in both lounges as a cost-cutting measure? "Absolutely not," he replied. "We are a Conrad property!"
Thank you for taking the time to write it all out, and indeed interesting to know the hotel's way of thinking ! Another way to the food offerings would be to offer certain dishes as buffet (starters & desserts) and main items to be ordered. People tend to leave after finishing a plate of served food compared to having another go at the buffet.

Also surprised by the champagne comment, since I don't know of any other Conrad where it is complimentary.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
I find the champagne remark by the manager to be very funny, considering that two years back, the official reason given of why they dropped champagne from the lounge offerings was so that they could be more aligned to the Conrad's brand standard.

Thanks bamboola for the update! Did the manager elaborate on the required dress code to enter the lounge on the 31st? The last time I was there back in April, I was allowed access to the 31st floor lounge but I didn't really remember any special dress code aside from the usual no shorts, no gym attires, no sandals, etc.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I'd hope its like a few other lounges in pants, no jeans, collared shirt. Not too difficult, albeit Hilton KL doesn't seem to enforce it.

Not surprised the lounge is full to capacity plus overflow - that's why they need two lounges.
Splitting the lounges between business/ dressy and families casual seems reasonable.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Staying there now and indeed access to 31st floor lounge as a Diamond during the renovation.

il very surprised by the Champagne comment mentioned upthread because during my stay, it has precisely been only sparkling wine (Australian Moet) that’s been available! Totally uninterested in it myself so went for the decent G&T made with Sipsmith gin.one category upgrade and quite upgrade refused (‘we are fully booked’ — untrue, suites still available to book as I was checking in). Nice hotel nonetheless.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Staying there now and indeed access to 31st floor lounge as a Diamond during the renovation.

il very surprised by the Champagne comment mentioned upthread because during my stay, it has precisely been only sparkling wine (Australian Moet) that’s been available! ...
That's been my experience as well. Chandon from Australia cannot be Champagne, but sparkling wine. I haven't seen authentic French Champagne at any Conrad in decades. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I can discover some new properties not previously on my radar.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by rhu171
I find the champagne remark by the manager to be very funny, considering that two years back, the official reason given of why they dropped champagne from the lounge offerings was so that they could be more aligned to the Conrad's brand standard.

Thanks bamboola for the update! Did the manager elaborate on the required dress code to enter the lounge on the 31st? The last time I was there back in April, I was allowed access to the 31st floor lounge but I didn't really remember any special dress code aside from the usual no shorts, no gym attires, no sandals, etc.
When I told the manager that not many Conrads offer real champagne, the manager replied that lounge champagne would make the CCS more competitive with other Singapore hotels. I saw an attendant walking around offering refills, but I did not have any and did not notice the bottle label. I agree that anything other than French Moet & Chandon is not champagne. Has the champagne begun already or will it start after the renovations? That is a question that I did not ask. I also did not ask for additional clarification on the dress code. Perhaps someone else can ask follow-up questions....
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Maybe the reason for real Champagne

Did a quick search and found this from "https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g294265-d302294-i124654362-Pan_Pacific_Singapore-Singapore.html". It is right next door..

"Our suite was coming with the full benefits of the AMAZING pacific club which is simply one of the very best with experienced. Very spacious, occupying the entire top floor with superb bay views and with a marvelous design. Staff at club lounge is fully dedicated to your complete happiness. Benefits are just incredible with fine food with beautiful products (echire butter, la ferme des peupliers yoghurts at breakfast for example) and free flow of rose veuve cliquot champagne and blanc de blancs Laurent Perrier champagne at breakfast and evening cocktails. Everything is wonderfully arranged on an elegant buffet and it's always delicious."

And a few places on this list also include free champagne in their lounge benefits descriptions:

https://stays.tripzilla.com/en/stori...freebies/60386
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:33 pm

To be frank, I reckon Bamboola has been fed a line of BS by the manager, but I'm happy to be proven wrong when L4 opens.

The 31st lounge had:
Laurent Perrier until about 2011.
then it was kept hidden until about 2014 and only on request with Aussie Chandon available openly.
2014 to the reopened 31st this year they only had Chandon
Since the reopening they have had LP.
the 4th floor has not had LP at all.

considering they have now brought back Chandon and hidden the champagne again, I suspect the 4th floor won't be getting LP.

And yes, they do need this to be competitive.
I can't think of a single other lounge in a similar hotel that doesn't have champagne in Singapore- Pan Pac, Fullerton, Fairmont all do it.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cynicor
considering they have now brought back Chandon and hidden the champagne again, I suspect the 4th floor won't be getting LP.
The lady at the table next to mine yesterday explicitly asked if they had "any other Champagne" and was told that this was all they had (the Australian sparkling). I can only hope that this is a temporary issue.

I agree with others that brand consistency is far less relevant than local competition. Look at what happens in a place like Hong Kong where the quality of hotels' lounge offerings has pushed many a brand to offer far more than they are used to.

On other notes, the CCS lounge cocktail food is generally nice but I find the Oscar breakfast average in quality. Admittedly the quality of both restaurants and hawkers food in Singapore means that even "good "quickly feels mediocre in comparison, but there is a general feel of cutting corners a little.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 13, 2018 at 7:47 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The lady at the table next to mine yesterday explicitly asked if they had "any other Champagne" and was told that this was all they had (the Australian sparkling). I can only hope that this is a temporary issue.

I agree with others that brand consistency is far less relevant than local competition. Look at what happens in a place like Hong Kong where the quality of hotels' lounge offerings has pushed many a brand to offer far more than they are used to.

On other notes, the CCS lounge cocktail food is generally nice but I find the Oscar breakfast average in quality. Admittedly the quality of both restaurants and hawkers food in Singapore means that even "good "quickly feels mediocre in comparison, but there is a general feel of cutting corners a little.
Perrier champagne is available, the numerous temp staff being used at the lounge have limited training!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
The following morning I had the opportunity to speak with a member of the management team. I spoke candidly with him and said that many Diamond members are not happy about the two-tier Exec Lounge system. I commented on the previous "champagne on 31 and sparkling wine on the fourth floor" policy. He assured me that once the fourth floor lounge reopens, the food and beverage offerings would be exactly the same in both lounges. Champagne in both lounges? Yes, he confirmed. However, there will be a difference in the dress code; shorts will be permitted in the fourth floor lounge. Children will also be allowed on the fourth floor. The 31st floor will be open to all eligible guests who meet the dress code. The hope is that business people will gravitate to the 31st floor lounge and that tourists will head to the fourth floor. The manager also revealed that on this particular weekend, there were well over 100 Diamond members staying at the hotel.
I’ll reserve judgment on this until it actually comes to fruition after the renovation of the 4th floor lounge. There was one Diamond chap up thread that had to pay S$50 extra to get access to the real lounge on the 31st floor.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Deleted

Last edited by Abidjan; Jul 14, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.