Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Homewood Suites by Hilton Jackson {US-WY}

Homewood Suites by Hilton Jackson {US-WY}

Old Aug 19, 06, 9:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow Homewood Suites by Hilton Jackson {US-WY}

I recently completed a six night reward stay at this property and I did not see any comments posted about this hotel so I thought I would briefly add some. For additional comments, the reviews at Tripadvisor.com are spot on, except for one malcontent's comments.

This hotel is roughly 2 blocks walking distance to the main center of town -- the town square whose 4 conrers are adorned with Elk antlers formed into arches -- for those who are animal lovers, do not worry, the antlers likely were acquired as a result of natural shedding processes as the National Elk Refuge abuts Jackson, and I have read that they auction off those that are recovered and the $$ are plowed back into conservation efforts for the species.

The hotel is perhaps no more than 2 years old and is in very good condition. The downside -- it only consists of 41 rooms, all suites, naturally.

The standard suite size appears to be a bit smaller than the avg. Homewood Suites room, though. I had a handicapped room -- and it was slightly bigger, from what I could see compared to most on the floor plan.

Bear this is mind, most of the suites do not have sleeper sofas. So, if you wish to have one in your room, be sure to contact the hotel to see if that is possible. The suite bedrooms, themselves, are nicley appointed with the usual white down comforter with pillow top mattress.

The living room was nice, if snug, and it did have a gas fireplace on a timer, similar to the one I saw at the Hilton Sedona. Both rooms have flat-panel TV screens (not flat TVs, though). The couch was upholsetered in a material that appeared to be designed for durability, not for comfort of lying down and taking a snooze. Similarly, the chair was ok, but not luxurious. However, although it was a Lazy Boy Style, I never quite figured out where the lever was to release the foot component!

The breakfasts were decent, as they rotated the offerings -- scrambled eggs, breakfasat burrito, breakfast fritatta?, etc. The sausages and bacon that they served on some days were OK, but not overly crisp the way I liked it. I drank Cranberry juice instead of the OJ.

The small evening buffets I attended were fair -- mediocre chili -- really just beans -- and OK BBQ beef one night. As the property does NOT have a liquor license, there is no beer or wine, or any other sort of alcohol on offer for the buffets.

The hotel staff are really quite nice and helpful, if somewhat harried at some times. The morning breakfast guy is very polite -- he is from Poland, I believe. Ryan at the front desk is a really nice guy, as are the ladies named Michelle -- I kid you not -- the GM's name ends in that moniker, and I beleive there are two front desk staff who sport that name, as well -- all nice.

The Hot tub and pool are small and nice, and the excersise room was small if the standard treadmill and other equipment.

This is the nicest chain property without a doubt, within at least 75 miles of either the Yellowstone or Grand Teton National Parks.

To my knowledge, there are some closer Best Western properties near any of the multpile entrances to each, but they apparently do not rate, if the reviews on Tripadvisor are any guide.

No Marriott properties near Grand Teton, and only a Fairfield Inn in Bozeman -- the nearest point to Yellowstone. Billings has both a Fairfield and a newer Springhill, but the drive is much farther.

SPG to the best of my knowledege is not even on the map there, perhaps SLC is the closest.

As an aside, whereas Marriott is sparse in this area of the Mountain NorthWest, Hilton has an abundance of properties -- both a Hampton and a HGI in Bozeman, and any number of hotels in the rest of WY, MT, and ID!

I drive fairly fast, and do not mind a longish drive, so although you may be about 65 miles from the South Entrance to Yellowstone, you had better give yourself about 1 and 1/2 hours to get there. We alternated Yellowstone -Grand Teton - Yellowstone, etc. However, the drives back and forth were anything but monontous -- as we drove via the Grand Teton National Park each day, and were rewarded with magnificent views as well as some wildlife -- saw a grey fox and a herd of bison one day. Grand Teton is a short 20 minute drive from the hotel.

The hotel has a shuttle -- to the airport and around town -- probably for the winter ski season, so we did not utilize it, but it is nice to know that if you wish to ski, a car rental is probably not necessary.

As this hotel has only a small complement of rooms -- and the summer season in Jackson is busier than in the winter -- the hotel was sold out on most days -- therefore commanding rates of $269 to $309 each night. We met a nice couple celebrating their 10th anniversary while he was back from Iraq on leave, and the miliatry discount still was a hefty $199.

Hence, this is a very good use of HHonors points. Perhaps not like using them for the Cavalieri -- whose room rates and benefits are likely much higher/nicer than the above -- but then again, your $$ goes farther on this side of the pond, and the airfare to get here is far less expensive, as well. We flew into SLC and drove the distance in about 4 and 1/2 hours.

Finally, we had some excellent dinners in Jackson each evening -- of course some days we were so tired we just ate the BBQ chickens we bought at the Albertsons and Smith supermarkets that are on the edge of town, about a 2 mile drive from the hotel. On the other hand, I can highly recommend the Snake River Grill and the Gun Barrell restaurant -- especially if you wish to sample some local game dishes such as Buffalo steaks, Elk medalliors/chops, and/or Buffalo or Venison sausages. These restraurants are not inexpensive, but if you expect to pay big city prices, then you will be happy to receive more value for your $$ than you generally receive at those sort of city establishments.

Next year, I am contemplating a Montanna and Idaho trip -- too bad that the only Hilton property near Glacier National park is the Hampton in Kalispell.

By the way, anyone ever stay there, or at any of the Hilton properties in Missoula, Bozeman, or Idaho, as well??

P.S. The town is named Jackson, the "Hole" comes from Old West parlance where a "Hole" denoted a valley. Jackson is sited in a valley, so the two are sometimes used interchangeably, and sometimes not!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Aug 30, 06 at 11:21 am
Old Aug 19, 06, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Thanks for the report. I'm trying to get there again before October 1 when the Teton Village tram stops running forever.

I usually stay in Teton Village, but I think I'll give this one a try next month.
Old Aug 22, 06, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
The hotel is perhaps no more than 2 years old and is in very good condition. The downside -- it only consists of 41 rooms, all suites, naturally.
Had the pleasure of being there in Aug 2005 for work! IIRC, the property was open only a few weeks earlier...in fact, when I booked my trip in mid-July they were not even taking reservations.

Great place to visit...and the above is an excellent review!
Old Aug 30, 06, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, WN A-List, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Avis 1st
I had mentioned in another thread that I had recently stayed at this property. The OP requested that I give the hotel a quick review, so here goes:

My wife and two teenage kids stayed on an award stay a little over a month ago. We had a rather severe problem making the award reservation through the diamond desk but it was eventually resolved. As for the hotel, it is certainly one of the newer properties in Jackson. Our room was clean and bright. Lots of windows and at least for our room plenty of space. We had two queen size beds in the seperate bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room. We would have prefered a two bedroom suite but I don't believe they have any at this hotel. There was still plenty of room for the four of us.

The hotel provides very easy access to Grand Teton National Park and to the Jackson Hole airport.

The breakfast selection was above average but the dinners were pretty average, and that might be overly generous. Parking is quite limited so you need to be quick to take a good spot if it's available.

I would recommend the hotel to those who wish to visit the area. It is a bit pricy compared to other hotels in the area. So if cost is a consideration there are plenty of less expensive alternatives. If you wish to use Hilton Points for an award visit, this is the only property in the region.

After three days in Jackson we also stayed at Bozeman Montana Fairfield Inn on a reward stay. No suites so we had two regular rooms. This was a good location for getting to the north end of Yellowstone Park. The area around Mammouth Hot Springs. It takes just over an hour to drive from Bozeman to the northern park entrances. However the property is average to slightly below average. We only selected it for location and to burn some Marriott points.

By the way the weather is fantastic.
Old Aug 30, 06, 9:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PCMflyer
After three days in Jackson we also stayed at Bozeman Montana Fairfield Inn on a reward stay. No suites so we had two regular rooms. This was a good location for getting to the north end of Yellowstone Park. The area around Mammouth Hot Springs. It takes just over an hour to drive from Bozeman to the northern park entrances. However the property is average to slightly below average. We only selected it for location and to burn some Marriott points.
Thanks for the review!

I would just add that if you wish to burn Hilton points or stay at Hilton properties, there are both a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn in Bozeman, as well. The HGI, especially, appears to have gotten many good reviews on tripadvisor.com
Old Jul 4, 11, 1:32 pm

We just stayed here with our granddaughter and it great!!!. We flew into Jackson Hole and wanted to stay here the night we arrived and the night before our flight out. We were on a trip to tour Montana and Jackson Wy was the best flight for us. We wanted to use points but when we called the HHonors line we were told that that there were no rooms available for points. We called the property direct and they said that they did have rooms available for points. We called the Hhonors line again but they couldn't do anything so we called the property back. Ther were extremely helpful in helping us make the reserervations for both nights using our points.

The rooms were great. Our granddaughter loved the fireplace in each room. The first night we had a suite with the fireplace between the living room and the bedroom. The second stay there was a fireplace in the living room.

The front desk people were very friendly and helpful. We only had the evening reception one night (the night we flew in we arrived too late) and it was fine. They served vegetable lasagne, garlic bread, salad and a vegetable. It wasn't gourmet dining, but it was tasty.

I highly recommend this property.
Old Jul 4, 11, 8:31 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Has anyone stayed here for skiing? I am curious as to how long the shuttle ride in the morning is, fare cost, and whether staying in town is the better option?

I've been trying to find a reasonable ski resort with access to a hilton property (i.e. not the Waldorf Park City or Breckenridge HGVC). PM or reply, Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 11, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
"The downside -- it only consists of 41 rooms, all suites, naturally."

Some of the more thorough and helpful reviews I've ruin across in the thread, but I couldn't help addressing the point above -- I've stayed at Homewoods that had regular, non-suite rooms.
Old Jul 4, 11, 8:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
You can take their public transportation (Start Bus), which pretty much runs from town to the village every hour or so. Depending on where you pick up the bus, it takes a little more (or less) than 30 minutes.

Cost is $3 each way.

You can get more information here:

http://www.startbus.com/schedules.html
Old Jul 5, 11, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mjtx View Post
I highly recommend this property.
I fully agree. I've stayed here 3 times now and every time is a charm. The overall property is a bit small compared to other HS, but that adds to the charm if you ask me. Staff is absolutely wonderful and they provide top notch service.

This is one of my favorite Hilton properties!

Originally Posted by BLazarus22 View Post
Has anyone stayed here for skiing? I am curious as to how long the shuttle ride in the morning is, fare cost, and whether staying in town is the better option?

I've been trying to find a reasonable ski resort with access to a hilton property (i.e. not the Waldorf Park City or Breckenridge HGVC). PM or reply, Thanks!
You should check with the hotel, but they do shuttles from the airport (call when you arrive). There are car rentals at the airport but on the expensive side in the winter (airport also occasionally closes down if slammed with snow). Drive from hotel to Jackson Hole is approx 15 min (you can arrange cab in the AM or take public transport) and longer to Targhee.

Keep in mind, the HS is one of the few properties that is a brand affiliated property in Jackson.
Old Jul 5, 11, 9:11 am

Programs: DL -DM / 2MM, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by BLazarus22 View Post

I have stayed there for skiing but did not use the shuttle. My only complaint was that one night I could not find a parking spot and ended up parking 3 blocks away in subzero weather.

For a Hilton property with easy access to great skiing, I would recommend the Embassy Suites at Lake Tahoe.
Old Jul 5, 11, 11:16 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by trlaura View Post
I have stayed there for skiing but did not use the shuttle. My only complaint was that one night I could not find a parking spot and ended up parking 3 blocks away in subzero weather.

For a Hilton property with easy access to great skiing, I would recommend the Embassy Suites at Lake Tahoe.
That's where I stayed last year. I agree it is perfect location but I was hoping to try something new and different. Trying to break the trend of going to Vail Resorts.

I saw the $3 shuttle I just didn't know if the hotel offered something on site/different from the city's transit system.
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Am glad that many of you like the hotel. You should know that come later this year or next, there will be a Courtyard by Marriott opening up -- a conversion from a pre-existing hotel.

It will not have the Homewood amenities, but should permit additional points earning opportunities!
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Thanks for the reviews. I'll be staying there at the end of July.

MO
Old Jul 5, 11, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
Am glad that many of you like the hotel. You should know that come later this year or next, there will be a Courtyard by Marriott opening up -- a conversion from a pre-existing hotel.
Really, where at? Which property?

Search this Thread