Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Do government rates qualify for points?
-Yes, government rate stays receive full points.
Apparent acceptable forms of government identification:
• DD Forms 2, 1173, 1173-1 (ID cards)
• Credit card issued by a government entity
-----
Will Hilton check my government ID when I check in?
-It depends:
Starting on June 14, 2019, FlyerTalk members are reporting increased scrutiny in checking for proof that guests are eligible to pay government rates to stay:
-----
FlyerTalk members report successfully bypassing the front desk when staying at a property with Digital Key enabled, thus avoiding being checked for government identification.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I get asked about 20% of the time. Usually showing them my CAC card is enough
Old May 29, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Had anyone been asked to show travel order when checking into a Hilton? I am working in a state government position that travel orders are not something we do while we are on a business trip.
Rate planPrice per night (USD)
  • GOVERNMENT RATE ON DUTY TRAVEL ID-TRAVEL ORDERS REQUIRED
I have stayed dozens of times on the federal government rate and I've never been asked for travel orders. We also don't get travel orders and I can't tell people why I'm in town so I'm not sure what would happen if I were ever asked. I'm only asked for government ID about 5% of the time.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Had anyone been asked to show travel order when checking into a Hilton? I am working in a state government position that travel orders are not something we do while we are on a business trip.
Rate planPrice per night (USD)
Never. I've been with HH since 2011 and I've never been asked once.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:34 am

Replying above so even if you have no status and you book with govt rate you get diamond status attached to your stay? How do you even mention that to the front desk?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by Greg Malyshev
Replying above so even if you have no status and you book with govt rate you get diamond status attached to your stay? How do you even mention that to the front desk?
No, I believe what the above posters are saying is that if you're diamond you still get your diamond benefits, regardless of the fact that you're paying the lower government rate. I am not aware of any automatic platinum benefits for government employees.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Greg Malyshev
No. Not at all. There is no "status" associated with government rates. There may be certain perks offered with a government rate (e.g. free breakfast), but never any true perks of elite status.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was looking at Bora Bora and see the Hilton there has "government rate" . That looks to be significantly cheaper than the regular.

Does that include US government personnel?

Has anyone ever stayed with a gov rate?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:33 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
What's the official policy on who is eligible for "government" rate such as below regardless of whether proof of ID/travel order is requested at check-in?
Is it just intended for government employees traveling on official business only? What about government employees on personal travel? I have a friend who is a federal employee, but hesitant to book this rate (sometimes almost half of some discounted rates) because he does't want to risk his job.

LAX
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by LAX
What's the official policy on who is eligible for "government" rate such as below regardless of whether proof of ID/travel order is requested at check-in?
Is it just intended for government employees traveling on official business only? What about government employees on personal travel? I have a friend who is a federal employee, but hesitant to book this rate (sometimes almost half of some discounted rates) because he does't want to risk his job.

LAX
When in doubt I email the hotel, asking if the rate is available although I am not traveling on government business. Some properties allow it, some do not. I carefully avoid giving the impression that I am trying to negotiate the rate. Just ask the question. All of that said, your friend’s employer may have specific rules forbidding this. All agencies are not the sane.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LAX
Is it just intended for government employees traveling on official business only? What about government employees on personal travel?
When I see that particular language in the rate rules I always assume that the intent of the property listing the rate is that it is for official travel only, and not for leisure or personal travel. The verbiage about "duty travel" and "travel orders required" is pretty clear.

However, I haven't traveled with, or been asked to provide paper travel orders at any property of any hotel chain in the last 15-20 years of heavy government travel (it was common in the 1990s). I'm not sure how I'd even deal with a situation where a property asked for them today.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
However, I haven't traveled with, or been asked to provide paper travel orders at any property of any hotel chain in the last 15-20 years of heavy government travel (it was common in the 1990s). I'm not sure how I'd even deal with a situation where a property asked for them today.
I'd tell them my government ID is good enough and for security reasons we don't carry paper orders, or give them to anyone.
I don't know where that would get me, but that's what I'd say, I've just never been asked. That said, I present my government ID at check in. When they ask, "are you here for work or pleasure?", I always respond, "both."
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:57 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
When I see that particular language in the rate rules I always assume that the intent of the property listing the rate is that it is for official travel only, and not for leisure or personal travel. The verbiage about "duty travel" and "travel orders required" is pretty clear.

The reason I am (my friend is) uncertain is that a rate for government leisure/personal travel is not listed. Perhaps it's not something offered by the Hilton chain as I often see two different government rates listed, one for official and another for leisure travel, at some other chains. I know Marriott offers the same rate for both official & leisure travels although the government rate there is often not available or not the cheapest available. I guess my friend can check with the property in advance if the discount is worth the hassle. Thanks to those who chimed in.

LAX
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Can you just work remote? That would be official. Perhaps take a print out of your boss giving you permission to work remote.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver

+1 to this- when they include the language about duty travel and orders, I think it’s pretty clear that they intend the rate for official travel only. When the language is not there and I want to travel for leisure, i contact the property and ask them if it’s valid for leisure travel. I’ve had good success asking and being told it’s ok. I also agree that in over a hundred trips, I’ve never been asked for anything more than my government ID (and that only happened once at a Hilton property- in my experience it is more common at Marriott properties).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:28 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
So as a follow up question: What would you provide when traveling on government business and they request travel orders? As a federal employee myself who's going to be doing more travel for my position, I'm genuinely curious--because the two times I traveled on business in my position I didn't have any 'travel orders'--I did use a govt. CC to pay for the room, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.