Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates: The Definitive Thread

Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates: The Definitive Thread

Old Jun 13, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post
When I see that particular language in the rate rules I always assume that the intent of the property listing the rate is that it is for official travel only, and not for leisure or personal travel. The verbiage about "duty travel" and "travel orders required" is pretty clear.

However, I haven't traveled with, or been asked to provide paper travel orders at any property of any hotel chain in the last 15-20 years of heavy government travel (it was common in the 1990s). I'm not sure how I'd even deal with a situation where a property asked for them today.
+1 to this- when they include the language about duty travel and orders, I think itís pretty clear that they intend the rate for official travel only. When the language is not there and I want to travel for leisure, i contact the property and ask them if itís valid for leisure travel. Iíve had good success asking and being told itís ok. I also agree that in over a hundred trips, Iíve never been asked for anything more than my government ID (and that only happened once at a Hilton property- in my experience it is more common at Marriott properties).
Old Jun 13, 19, 6:28 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, WN A-List
So as a follow up question: What would you provide when traveling on government business and they request travel orders? As a federal employee myself who's going to be doing more travel for my position, I'm genuinely curious--because the two times I traveled on business in my position I didn't have any 'travel orders'--I did use a govt. CC to pay for the room, however.
Old Jun 13, 19, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Again, Iíve never been asked. Were it to happen though, Iíd likely explain that we donít have printed orders anymore and show them the emailed travel itinerary sent to my govt email account. Paying with a govt credit card should also be sufficiently convincing.
isle-hawg and mdbe like this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Rd3 View Post
So as a follow up question: What would you provide when traveling on government business and they request travel orders? As a federal employee myself who's going to be doing more travel for my position, I'm genuinely curious--because the two times I traveled on business in my position I didn't have any 'travel orders'--I did use a govt. CC to pay for the room, however.
As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been asked to produce paper travel orders in 15-20 years, and in that time I have spent well over a thousand nights in hotel rooms. Since you have gov ID and the gov CC you'll be fine.
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz 5-star, National Emerald Executive
I have once in my life been "carded" for my gov't ID. Never for travel orders. Ironically the one time I was carded was at a Staybridge Suites in Marquette, MI in winter. Ha!
Old Jun 16, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post
I have once in my life been "carded" for my gov't ID. Never for travel orders. Ironically the one time I was carded was at a Staybridge Suites in Marquette, MI in winter. Ha!
I've been asked to produce Gov ID much more frequently in the past 2 years than I ever was in the prior decade. I know that Marriott properties have recently been given guidance to check gov ID more regularly, and I've experienced this first hand. IME Hilton properties have also been checking more regularly, though not as consistently as MR properties. YMMV.