Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Do government rates qualify for points?
-Yes, government rate stays receive full points.
Apparent acceptable forms of government identification:
• DD Forms 2, 1173, 1173-1 (ID cards)
• Credit card issued by a government entity
-----
Will Hilton check my government ID when I check in?
-It depends:
Starting on June 14, 2019, FlyerTalk members are reporting increased scrutiny in checking for proof that guests are eligible to pay government rates to stay:
-----
FlyerTalk members report successfully bypassing the front desk when staying at a property with Digital Key enabled, thus avoiding being checked for government identification.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
I am a Federal worker. I have booked several federal hotels rates will different hotels such as Hilton , PC, ect. Very rarely am I as to show an I.D. I have one book for Uath in Aug of 06. I booked Hilton. They had a different rate for state and Federal. The state was $10 lower than the Fed rate
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:52 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I am a state employee. In 5 yrs I have been asked for ID 3 times. I have even offered it and been told dont bother.

That said - if I didnt have the ID to show - I dont think that I would book the rate.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:22 am

As a federal employee, I am required to use a credit card obtained through my agency when on official business (which stinks, since I'd love to use my HH AMEX card or some other card with points or miles). One glance at this card (which is emblazoned with "United States of America - For Official Government Travel Only" and has a picture of the capitol) is usually all the "ID" the front desk clerk needs. However, when I book the government rate for personal travel (and hence not using the official CC), I am almost always asked to show government ID.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
San Diego Gas Lamp Hilton

I booked this Hilton in June under a federal rate. I am a city employee and my SO is a Fed employee. Have never been asked for an ID before. On checking in at this hotel, they promptly asked for the proper ID. My SO pulled out her ID and the gentleman at the desk did a careful look at it and the SO (we have different last names). Then said okay, fine...welcome.

The Federal rate was the only gov. rate available. Lesson well taken about be sure if necessary you can prove it if asked.

What I have noticed recently is something called "government alternate" I am not exactly sure what that means. Anyone know?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
As a federal employee, I am required to use a credit card obtained through my agency when on official business (which stinks, since I'd love to use my HH AMEX card or some other card with points or miles). One glance at this card (which is emblazoned with "United States of America - For Official Government Travel Only" and has a picture of the capitol) is usually all the "ID" the front desk clerk needs. However, when I book the government rate for personal travel (and hence not using the official CC), I am almost always asked to show government ID.
I also have to pay using my Govt Credit Card, although my agency goes for something more understated than having "United States of America - For Official Government Travel Only" on it. I think it just says Bank of America Business card Services.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
As posted by others here, the GSA sets a "per diem" rate for each locality.

It is up to the hotel to decide if it has a Government rate, and what it should be. If that rate is greater than the per diem, then you could have to pay out of your pocket the difference. In many of the areas I travel the AAA, AARP, State Gov, are all much higher than the GSA sets the per diem amount.

Originally Posted by Karter
Can someone explain why Government Rates exist? Do US government employees not earn enough money and thus the hotels sympathetically lower their rates for them?

And what's with AAA rates? Isn't AAA some sort of car repair service?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, HH Gold
I have never been asked to show id when booking a gov't rate, but most of my 30 nights this year have been with a different chain. I just started being loyal to Hilton. However I have found that most Hilton hotels do not offer a true government rate, with the exception of the Hampton Inn. I have found the government rate at Hilton to be a lot higher than the alloted room rate for the area.. what gives?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by daggett24
I have never been asked to show id when booking a gov't rate, but most of my 30 nights this year have been with a different chain. I just started being loyal to Hilton. However I have found that most Hilton hotels do not offer a true government rate, with the exception of the Hampton Inn. I have found the government rate at Hilton to be a lot higher than the alloted room rate for the area.. what gives?
I get asked for my gov ID occasionally so YMMV. As to the gov rates at Hiltons I'm almost always able to find them but sometimes I need to check properties that would otherwise be my second or third choice. I usually stay in areas with multiple HH properties so that helps. Of course there are times when I can't find any gov rates even in a major metro area (think cherry blossom season in DC...).
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by daggett24
I have found the government rate at Hilton to be a lot higher than the alloted room rate for the area.. what gives?
Does the particular Hilton provide breakfast as part of the Government rate? In my experience the rate is $10 or $15 above the per diem rate when a breakfast coupon is included as part of the rate. Hamptons meet the per diem rate becasue breakfast is included in all rates.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:54 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
You've got to be joking....

Can someone explain why Government Rates exist? Do US government employees not earn enough money and thus the hotels sympathetically lower their rates for them?

This is the funniest post I've read in a long time.

How much an employee makes (salary) has absolutely nothing to do with the government is charged for their stay. For the most part, the government rates are utilized for business travel (like some one else said, many times other rates are lower, i.e., AAA).

And I don't know what you have heard or your experiences, but no one that I know becomes a government worker for the money!!!! Most that I know live paycheck to paycheck like everyone else. Now the benefits, IMHO, are great and keep me happy, but no one is getting rich Karter. At least no in any state job that I am aware of....

You said "US" government workers, but I think you are bluffing because if you were truly a government worker, you wouldn't have posted such a ridiculous statement and you would have know about the per diem rates vs. salary.

Dawn
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
I never get asked to show ID because I offer the 4 cards before asked -- Gov't Travel ID, Drivers License, HH Gold Card, and Credit Card.

Why invite the questions -- if you are eligible, no worries, right?

I work for a Govt Sponsored Enterprise with a GSA number on our ID Badges, but we have a Travel ID since that isn't accepted by most hotel clerks.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:17 pm
PD

I am convinced that both government and AAA rates, as well as discounts for other groups, such as AARP, are just another form of pricing. The government rates in particular are often not available. My theory is that if the hotel is full, it does not need to offer discounted rates, and so does not. If there is space available, offering these types of rates is a way to fill rooms that would not be taken at the regular rates.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold
Their are only a limited number of rooms available at the per diem rate at a given property. Once those are gone, the rates go to an "alternate government rate" or rack rate, etc. I often have to book well in advance to get the per diem rate, esp in DC in the summer.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:10 pm

These are fair questions.

Not repeating the earlier responses, the government rate is available for official business; my companions have to flash their badge virtually all of the time. If a hotel offers the rate to government employees on personal travel, then it's solely at the hotel's discretion. Many high-line hotels have no interest in providing government rates; on average, government rates are offered in the the 2- to 4-Star hotel range. Again, it has nothing to do with salary.

Do understand that the States and Federal governments have considerable buying power and, as said before, can negotiate rates. If a major corporation in the US doesn't do the same, then its CFO isn't doing her/his job. What do you think airline employees pay at hotels when on official business; just get overnighted by an airline and you'll see the value of the voucher (a small fraction of the rack rate). AAA is a travel club and uses a club to entice hotels to offer special rates to its members; AARP, AMA and other professional societies, etc. have buying power and so do the travel websites.

Just imagine the government employee traveling with a contractor of hers/his; some times a hotel offers the government rate to government contractors as well. Some hotels under contract with the government, just as with contract air carriers, will sell the last space to a government employee on official business. Others do not. Some hotels have a certain number of rooms set aside for government employees [(sym)pathetically they pick out the choice rooms overlooking the ventilation systems, the alley, the parking lot, or the ones conveniently located next to the noisy elevator, the frequently used ice maching, or the vending area]. Most have a certain number of rooms until they hit a certain occupancy factor and then the rack rate kicks in. So what happens in that case, you downscale to the 1-Star hotel as your private enterprise companion gets the rack rate and bills your agency for a quality room; or, if you were so inclined, you could stay at the same hotel at the higher rate and absorb the difference; or, your contactor sympathizes and downscales with you. On occasion, some hotels even charge a government rate that is higher than the government's reimbursement for the area. If you're a contractor, you should be aware of that to avoid an awkward situation.

Sympathy? I think not. The government rate is far greater than the marginal rate to clean a room that would otherwise be left empty overnight. It's a good business decision based on the occupancy factor approach described above. Hotels are not in the business of losing money. For those who offer the last room to the government employee, they gain loyalty;good will has value as well.

Ergo, for the government employee, I recommend that you reserve early when your plans develop and get status with one supplier; you just may be treated humanely. If the plans don't work out, cancel by the deadline. More often than not, the hotel will sell the room at a higher rate and, if it can't, then the room would probably have been left empty overnght anyway. If there's no government rate available when your plans crystalize, then check in with the hotel directly; if you have status with them, they may empathize and use some discretion to accommodate you.

Safe travels to our Fed/State friends. Some of us really appreciate what you do.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by denis in denver
I booked this Hilton in June under a federal rate. I am a city employee and my SO is a Fed employee. Have never been asked for an ID before. On checking in at this hotel, they promptly asked for the proper ID. My SO pulled out her ID and the gentleman at the desk did a careful look at it and the SO (we have different last names). Then said okay, fine...welcome.

The Federal rate was the only gov. rate available. Lesson well taken about be sure if necessary you can prove it if asked.

What I have noticed recently is something called "government alternate" I am not exactly sure what that means. Anyone know?
The alternate rate is a rate given to fed/state employees which is close to but somewhat above the actual perdiem rate. Lately I have noticed that ES tend to post this alternate rate. I guess they try to recoup something for the free breakfast and drinks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.