FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Best beach-y Hilton (Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii) with a baby (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/581767-best-beach-y-hilton-caribbean-mexico-hawaii-baby.html)

Amy28 Jul 21, 2006 5:10 pm

Best beach-y Hilton (Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii) with a baby

We'll be taking the newest member of the Amy28 family on vacation this fall. He'll be 9 months old, we'll be pulling our hair out. But at least we can pull it out in a warm, sunny locale!

Hawaii and the HWV will be our fall-back, since we've been there twice. But can anyone recommend any of the other beach Hiltons in the Caribbean or Mexico? We went to Barbados last year, and loved it, but looking for something new.

Thanks in advance. We'll be going in early November, so hoping a suite upgrade will help with the whole "sleeping in the same room with the baby" problem.

ajcopley Jul 21, 2006 10:11 pm

Curacao Hilton is perfect with small children

It's an older property, but in the midst of a renovation. Executive floor rooms are nice and spacious, but unfortunately i think there are only 2 real suites (and 10 'junior' suites) in the entire hotel, so the chances of scoring one of those might not be too great. Assuming you have status with Hilton, you'd most likely be upgraded to at least an ocean view (and what a view it is!)We've been there twice now the past two years and plan to go back again next year. Very kid-friendly, wonderful beach (ie very small waves), decent restaurants, great kids pool, and kids eat free (not that a 9-month old is really going to eat anything off the menu...but it's a nice-to-know).

The island itself is quite different from Barbados. Not a lot of tourists (those that do go typically come from Holland as it's a Dutch protectorate). It's quite arid (which also means you're virtually guaranteed perfect weather, no matter the time of year). You'll definitely want to rent a car, as there are some incredibly beautiful (and deserted, I might add) beaches to see. And then there's the town of Willemstad which is a shopper's paradise!

Getting to Curacao is really easy. There's a non-stop from both Newark (Continental Saturday's only), and another 7 days a week from Miami (on American).

They've really treated us well the past two years which is why we'll be back.

Give it a look and check out www.tripadvisor.com for some really good, honest reviews of the Hilton. We were pleasantly surprised, and you might be too.

loomis Jul 22, 2006 5:53 am

The Embassy Suites in Dorado, Puerto Rico is all-suites, so you won't have to gamble on your status getting you an upgrade. It worked well for us last winter to put the crib in the living area and shut the door. Microwaves and mini-refrigerators in each room.

It is oceanfront. They have a kiddie pool and a swimming area protected with rocks, so you don't have to worry much about undertow.

iluv2pilot Jul 22, 2006 7:23 am

Hilton Caribe in PR is nice. Nice beach and pool area, easy access to anything you need.

volrichard Jul 24, 2006 9:36 am

Try the Hilton Cancun. Airport is serviced by most airlines. Variety of pools, including one zero depth entry. Quiet, resort property, not in the 'party zone'. Only 15 minute van ride from airport, nice beach. Just got back from there Saturday and is very accessible for stroller (I have son in wheelchair, so I am aware of those things).
Good luck.

MRKEY Jul 24, 2006 10:06 am

Originally Posted by volrichard
Try the Hilton Cancun. Airport is serviced by most airlines. Variety of pools, including one zero depth entry. Quiet, resort property, not in the 'party zone'. Only 15 minute van ride from airport, nice beach. Just got back from there Saturday and is very accessible for stroller (I have son in wheelchair, so I am aware of those things).
Good luck.

Ditto on Cancun...you can't go wrong ^ . Check out http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=CUNHRHH

phillygold Jul 24, 2006 10:40 am

Good luck.

Ditto on this recommendation. We just got back from Cancun as well, and I can't say enough nice things about this property.
BTW - VolRichard....I think that I saw you in the Villa lounge one evening. Either that, or there was another guy walking around with an orange Univ of Tenn. polo shirt on !

volrichard Jul 24, 2006 10:52 am

Originally Posted by phillygold
Ditto on this recommendation. We just got back from Cancun as well, and I can't say enough nice things about this property.
BTW - VolRichard....I think that I saw you in the Villa lounge one evening. Either that, or there was another guy walking around with an orange Univ of Tenn. polo shirt on !

That was probably me!! The Villa lounge was great, wasn't it? We had a great trip, with the exception of the pool construction going on ALL NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT!! If you were not on the pool side, you probably were not exposed to it. Not sure if you have been there before, however they were not clicking on all cylinders this week. Nothing that jumps out, just a few service details that did not match up to our stay a couple of years ago.
We will be back, though.

Hope you had a good trip.

phillygold Jul 24, 2006 11:04 am

That was probably me!! The Villa lounge was great, wasn't it? We had a great trip, with the exception of the pool construction going on ALL NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT!! If you were not on the pool side, you probably were not exposed to it. Not sure if you have been there before, however they were not clicking on all cylinders this week. Nothing that jumps out, just a few service details that did not match up to our stay a couple of years ago.
We will be back, though.

Hope you had a good trip.

Thanks ! Sorry that I missed out on a chance to say hello to a fellow FT'er. I didn't notice the pool work being done...thankfully, as our villa faced the tennis courts.
This was our first time at this resort. The only service complaints that I have concern the amount of time it took getting served at 2 of the restaurants (Spices and the Pizza/Pasta place), and the quality of the food within those 2 establishments.
The other thing was the checkout process, which took far too long. The lady in the lounge had to manually remove charges for the Hilton water and the 15% discount for eating in all 3 restaurants. What should have been 2 minutes took 20, as she had to use a calculator to figure out our final bill.
Other than that...it was a great time, and like you, we will return.