Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Old May 4, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Chicago, Illinois, USA {US-IL}

Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I have one night in Chicago this May, and plan to take in an evening game at Wrigley.

I've been looking at the Drake, Palmer House and Conrad on points- no rooms available at London House or WA.

Which one would give me easiest connections to Wrigley and ORD?

Thanks!
There are all pretty comparable. You could google map it to know for sure but essentially you want to take the Red Line to Addison. Off the top of my head I would say the Drake is closest to Wrigley (but ultimately slightly longer to get to the stadium because you have to walk the furthest to the train station). Conrad and Palmer House are probably under 5 minute walk to the red line. Drake is maybe 10.

Essentially the same for transit to ORD. Palmer House is probably the easiest for Blue line (aka walkable). Conrad or Drake will require 2 forms of transport (i.e bus connection or train transfer with that same 10 minute walk). None are essentially horrible (assuming a minimal amount of luggage)
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I have one night in Chicago this May, and plan to take in an evening game at Wrigley.

I've been looking at the Drake, Palmer House and Conrad on points- no rooms available at London House or WA.

Which one would give me easiest connections to Wrigley and ORD?

Thanks!
The red line (for Wrigley) is right outside of Palmer House’s State Street doors. The blue line (airport) is one block
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:31 pm

Just stayed one night at the Waldorf using my Aspire free weekend night certificate, then moved over to the Drake and paid $ to use up some of my $250 Amex Hilton credit.

I don't have much experience with 5-star hotels (I'm a credit-card Diamond-not a "real" Diamond haha) but from my limited perspective this place was incredible. They did give me an upgrade to a junior suite after I asked about it. The junior suite was fantastic-living room, king-sized bed, entry with a sink, fridge, and microwave. The soaking tub was huge. They brought up a Nespresso machine. They gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne as an anniversary amenity. Some bad-They didn't initially give me my $30 breakfast credit until I messaged them. They initially charged me a $9 private bar charge despite not taking anything from the private bar-I messaged them about this two and the charge was removed. My fireplace didn't work and the guy that came up to fix it couldn't get it to work. But overall I loved it and am considering spending 95K in Hilton points to do it again.

Moving from the WA to the Drake was admittedly a terrible idea. The Drake is nice and cool but such a step down from the WA. We were right next to an executive suite and when we came back at 12:15 AM they were partying like crazy. We could hear beer pong being played, music rocking, and drunk people having a great time. Yes, Mr. Grinch called security, they handled it very well although the party was so loud they didn't even hear security knocking for over five minutes. It took them about 20 minutes to shut everything down. When I checked out I politely mentioned my sleeping difficulties and they said they would give me 10,000 Hilton points so I'm satisfied with the outcome. Breakfast was good but the line to sit was long and the dining room was very hot. Overall, the Drake isn't my scene but I can see why people like it-I'm not into historic charm. The room was only $125 with tax.

I'm looking forward to trying the Conrad and London House but I can't imagine they will be as great as the Waldorf.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:48 am

You may be surprised. I personally like the Conrad more than the WA at this point in time. LondonHouse is nice but something is up with it, rumor in the other thread says may be leaving Hilton (no basis for this).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:57 pm

Yea I've read on the boards that Conrad is great too. I think it is next on my list. I think Conrad does a $30/person (2 max) credit for Diamond members. Have you done both (LH and Conrad)? How do you compare them? Like I said I'm a novice with luxury hotels-curious why you like Conrad more than WA-is it a "better value" or just better from an absolute standpoint in your eyes?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:04 am

I have stayed at the WA, the LH, and the Conrad, yes. They are just different types of properties. I like the Conrad because it is brand new and very modern, a style that just as a matter of personal preference I enjoy more than the classical style of the WA (which originally opened as the Elysian in 2009, hence the overt classical themes). The Conrad also draws from the brand's strength in Asia, which I again enjoy both from a thematic perspective and because it reminds me of great stays I've had at Asian Conrad properties. More concretely, the Conrad is more centrally located and often does price out significantly less than the WA, despite being newer and in a better spot.

The LH is a modern adaptation of a gilded age building and definitely offers a cool blend of modern and old Chicago touches. It's a very nice property in its own right at which I'd happily stay again.

Try them all and see what you like. And of course, while not modern "luxury" properties, it's often hard to beat the location, price, and inimitable, timeless designs of the Palmer House or Drake.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:36 am

I am thinking of using my Amex Hilton free weekend night certificate to book a night on the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago. I see from previous comments on this thread, that others have done so, but any specific gotchas I should watch out for ?

Thanks !
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:28 am

I love the WA. It's been my go-to for a few years in Chicago. I've tried the LH and liked it, but wasn't head over heels. The old Conrad was very good to me with upgrades so I liked it a lot as well. Trying the new one in August and I'm really excited about it. I love Chicago and it's great to actually have multiple good properties around the city. I wish I liked the NYC or Boston options as much.
Prancer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by MissJ
I wish I liked the NYC or Boston options as much.
Seconded! Two great cities with rather poor Hilton hotel options.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MissJ
I love the WA. It's been my go-to for a few years in Chicago. I've tried the LH and liked it, but wasn't head over heels. The old Conrad was very good to me with upgrades so I liked it a lot as well. Trying the new one in August and I'm really excited about it. I love Chicago and it's great to actually have multiple good properties around the city. I wish I liked the NYC or Boston options as much.
This is my sentiment as well
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:35 pm

Hilton Garden Inn location question

Is this hotel a good choice if you want to go visit University of Chicago? I see its near a subway stop. I hear that you can take a non-stop train to Hyde park so you reduce the probability of getting mugged.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by obbut
Just stayed one night at the Waldorf using my Aspire free weekend night certificate, then moved over to the Drake and paid $ to use up some of my $250 Amex Hilton credit.
How did you use your $250 Amex credit at the Drake? I didn't think it qualifies as a resort.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:14 am

Going to Chicago this weekend and wondering if the Conrad is worth about $100 a night more than other hotels close by. I was looking forward to trying it because I like the old one so much but reviews in the Conrad thread aren't as glowing as I expected though some people do seem to really love it. Going to an event at House of Blues so just need to be within walking distance of their and maybe thinking I should save some money if the Conrad isn't going to be what I hoped. Any suggestions?

Taking the blue line in from ORD. We have a high tolerance for walking. 20 minutes to HoB is no big deal. Love the idea of a good view but really we just want a comfy bed and a nice shower. Don't care for bathtubs. No issue if there is one, but happier with just a shower/

Last edited by MissJ; Apr 2, 2019 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
hi all- I'm heading back to Chicago next week. My last two stays were at the Conrad, which I liked, but it is pricing too high for me on this trip. I'm debating between the Londonhouse and theWit, both of which are at an acceptable price and are basically equivalent for me in terms of location relative to my office. Any thoughts on choosing between the two?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:34 am

LH is a newer and nicer property, so I'd probably lean in that direction, having stayed at both. Neither really offer what I would call remarkable elite benefits. The breakfast benefit at theWit can get you closer to real food, while at LH it does not. However if you are traveling for work I would advise going out for breakfast or buying a real one anyhow. I know that there are some fans of theWit but I've never been super impressed by it (but never had a bad stay either).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.