I Hope Hilton Goes Smoke Free

Old Dec 5, 05, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Westin Bans Smoking will Hilton Follow?

Wondering with Westin beginning to ban smoking if Hilton will follow suit?

Personally I'd like it, sick of getting smoke filled "non-smoking" rooms, and I leave smelling like an ashtray. Though it is a quick way to get money back from Hampton and their "100% Guarantee"
Old Dec 5, 05, 10:31 pm
rqd

What are the consequences of violating the rule? Someone mentioned a $500 fee added to your bill.
Old Dec 5, 05, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Given that Westin introduced the Heavenly Bed something like six years ago, and Hilton is only now starting to play catch-up (sort of), I predict there will quite a time lag (a few years) before Hilton emulates Westin on its newest initiative. (By the way, you neglected to mention that the upcoming Westin ban on smoking will only be in U.S., Canada, and Caribbean hotels, and indoors only.)
Old Dec 5, 05, 11:16 pm

Programs: United GS/3MM Delta Platinum ,AA platinum,Marriott platinum,Hilton Diamond VIP,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by delpreston
Wondering with Westin beginning to ban smoking if Hilton will follow suit?

Personally I'd like it, sick of getting smoke filled "non-smoking" rooms, and I leave smelling like an ashtray. Though it is a quick way to get money back from Hampton and their "100% Guarantee"
I agree 100% i hope all the hotels be smoke free.
Old Dec 5, 05, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
and indoors only.)
So, if I ask for a Westin room with a bed on a balcony, could I still smoke?
Old Dec 5, 05, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by tcook052
So, if I ask for a Westin room with a bed on a balcony, could I still smoke?
You smoke in bed?
Old Dec 6, 05, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

You smoke in bed?
Only while awake.
Old Dec 6, 05, 4:00 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by rqd
What are the consequences of violating the rule? Someone mentioned a $500 fee added to your bill.
Only a mere $200, according to this AP article.

I have a hard time imagining Hilton taking this route with their Hilton brand, but I might could see them making this move with one such as DoubleTree or Hilton Garden Inn. Doubt it might happen anytime soon, though. I'm sure Hilton will be watching to see how many of you non-smokers abandon Hilton in favor of Westins. I'm sure Hilton will be gaining a few of the Starwood smokers.
Old Dec 6, 05, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
You smoke in bed?
I don't know; I've never looked.
Old Dec 6, 05, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I don't know; I've never looked.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!
Old Dec 6, 05, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is obviously a test as Starwood isn't doing it at any other properties. I should also note that barring/fining people in certain cities and states for smoking is not actually legal. You see, when you rent accomodation in some city/states you cannot be legally prevented from smoking in these rooms. I have actually witnessed a guest checking out in California being told that he had to pay a fine, he was a lawyer deemed it illegal, refused and proceeded to call the police to file some sort of fraud charge. The manager immediately appeared and made it all go away, admitting quietly that the guest in fact was correct in his legal interpretation of CA occupancy law(s).
Old Dec 6, 05, 11:27 am
Original Poster

People are still going to smoke in non-smoking rooms regardless of the rules.

Enforcing it is probably next to impossible. Not like you could have "smoke meters" determining that you in-fact did smoke in the room.

Though it's a step in the right direction. Like someone said earlier it's taken years for competitors to come out with their better bedding in response to the Heavenly Bed. It will likely take a decade or more for hotels across the country to go smoke free.
Old Dec 6, 05, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
I tried to book a friend for two nights here in Sacramento. Both the Hilton and Doubletree are smoke free at least as of January 2006 when I was trying to book. I booked him into the HGI.
Old Dec 6, 05, 12:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I think it's pretty easy to determine who smoked in a room. It doesn't go away as easily as one might think. Plus, if your room was smokeless at check-in but smoky afterwards, I'm sure you can figure out who the culprit was. Charge those $200 fines, Westin!
Old Dec 6, 05, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
You smoke in bed?
You just made it quite clear to everyone else you don't. Haa haa

Search this Thread
Search Engine: