Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Booked 2 nights with points and Aspire free night. Will I have to pay resort fees? Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by shanna135
Booked 2 nights with points and Aspire free night. Will I have to pay resort fees? Thanks
Hilton does not charge a resort fee on free rooms, whether it is a certificate or 100% points booking.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by CalvaryMike
What's a lot of HH points? If you don't have an Aspire card and you barely stay at Hilton properties, how are you earning these points? For instance, 100k points doesn't translate to much. I'm currently sitting on 700k points and I consider that a moderate amount of points.
i have 150k points. That100k for getting the card...
so yes... I have some. I really never know what to do. I’m new to Amex / Hilton. But I’ve enjoyed Embassy Suites in the past.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Hilton does not charge a resort fee on free rooms, whether it is a certificate or 100% points booking.
Just be aware of the parking fee (no plausible alternative to park your car), which I think is now $35.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:46 am

Any good tours you would recommend? Also are you able to book them through the hotel and charge to the room?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boringbarry
Any good tours you would recommend? Also are you able to book them through the hotel and charge to the room?

Thanks
There are plenty of tours you can book. They will all be incredibly expensive because you are staying in one of the most expensive places in the world at a luxury hotel. The tours will be good; they will also be horrifically overpriced. If you want to save money on a tour, go the Groupon website, put in Maui as your destination, see what tours are available, and then read the reviews to see if the tour company has a good reputation. Or go to a local discount Hawaii tour provider. Google it -- there are several.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Boringbarry

Thanks
redline rafting was a great experience if you enjoy snorkeling, got to see tons of sea life. the ride is "rough" but definitely not unbearable
Old May 12, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glynot
It's now only in the dining room, continental breakfast or upgrade to full buffet for $20
The cost of the buffet went up in the middle of my six day stay. It was $20 for Diamonds, and now I believe it’s $27.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:57 pm

Just checked in and staying on points. Got upgraded from a terrace view to ocean view. Napua suite upgrade option was presented at check-in for an additional $150 a night (supposedly discounted from $250). I didn't see the value so I waived off on it.

Diamond benefits are: 1) Continental Breakfast for 2 in the grand dining room; 2) 20% discount at F&B and Spa services...there may be more but it was hard to hear the FD clerk and I didn't care to push for the full list. Parking is not waived and tacks on another $35 a night.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:31 pm

Glad to see they added a 20% F & B and spa service discount. That was not an option on my stay 2 months ago.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Glad to see they added a 20% F & B and spa service discount. That was not an option on my stay 2 months ago.
Now that I mention it, I noticed they didn't give me the 20% discount on our breakfast this morning so I gotta follow up with the FD on that.

Also, FYI, for the breakfast benefit, make sure you wait until the waiter asks whether you want the "free" continental vs. upgrading (additional $27 per person) to the buffet. Silly us, we thought the food buffet was the continental since the hostess showed us our table and pointed to the food. We started plating and something didn't seem right to me so I asked a server and only after the wife and kids sat down with their plates did another waiter say the continental breakfast that is complimentary for HHonors members was a plated dish that our waiter would bring out. Lucky for us the waiter didn't charge us for the buffet (especially since we didn't grab too much food), but the kids (6 and over) get charged regardless ($22!!) since the continental is only for 2 adults with no option for kids other than the buffet. Good to know...

Continental breakfast is a croissant, chocolate muffin, 4 pineapple slices, a slice of melon and honeydew, two strawberries and a small yogurt/granola cup. It was actually filling if you aren't a big breakfast eater like us.

Sad part is, the complimentary breakfast at the Residence Inn less than a mile away was far superior to the "complimentary" continental breakfast, but then again we are at a "upscale" resort. Guess we were spoiled at the St. Regis Bali...which btw was hands down the best hotel I have ever stayed at, but I thought the Waldorf Astoria brand would be up to that standard...sadly disappointed.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Well, just confirmed they DO NOT offer the 20% discount off F&B and spa services. FD associate misspoke when I was checking in and when I went today to debate the lack of discount on my bill, was told they offer the 20% discount only to members of the Grand Wailea (different membership club from HHonors). Was fortunate that they honored the discount for us though since the FD clerk told me we rated it.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
What email have you all used for reaching out to the hotel prior to arrival? Is it just the gwconcierge address?
Old May 27, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Ti, Hilton Dia, MVC Chairman, Hertz PC, Royal Caribbean D+, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I was actually speaking to Frank808 - he was in the Napua Tower this trip, but would not be if he uses free night certificates on his next trip. I was wondering if *he* would pay to upgrade again.
Sorry for the late reply but yes it is worth it for the 3 of us. Last stay it was 3 nights on points and 2 nights with the weekend certificates. Will be doing it again with using 3 free night weekwnd certs and 2 nights on points. If it is $100 a night again, that would be an easy way to use both wifes and I Aspire $250 credit.

Savings for the 3 of us i would estimate at about $40 for breakfast and $40 for dinner between wife and I. About 4-6 cocktails an evening between wife and I would easily cover the remaining $20 that we paid for the upgrade. Now the questiin is if there will be any rooms in Napua tower to upgrade to and hooe they will be under $150 a night.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:51 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I grew up on Maui, and remember "Wailea" when it was dirt road and kiawe trees. I can't believe there are actually plans to make this hotel bigger.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...U2nuhKTcBHfffE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.