Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetSet05

Interesting that you received a welcome letter, and I did not. As I mentioned, I had to ask the front desk if I received 30/day anywhere, and she confirmed. After reading the updates on the forum, I was curious what would happen upon check out. Sure enough, my original receipt did not give the credit ($150). I called the front desk, and he explained to me that it was for the grand dining room only. I informed him what my front desk agent told me, his response was only “Sorry, she told you wrong”. I asked how that was my fault, and how should I know. He again only apologized. I asked to speak to a manager on duty, and he put me on hold. After a few minutes he came back and informed me he was able to apply the $150 credit to my bill.

I also noticed that sometime during my stay, the stated benefits on the app was updated to state that the diamond benefit was $15 per person per day, max 2 people, for the grand dining room only. It also states that the credit would be applied at the time of purchase at the restaurant. I have no idea when this app update occurred, as it was not listed this way when I checked in.
This is all really stupid. I contacted the hotel a week or two ago and was also told the credit was only good in the grand dining room. So I guess no room service anymore? What does breakfast cost in the dining room? I thought they're supposed to provide you the equivalent of a free continental breakfast. I'm skeptical that only costs $15 at this hotel.

EDIT: The hotel sent me the breakfast menu for the grand dining room. It looks like most "a la carte" breakfasts cost $26 to $30, but it seems like coffee and juice are included in that price. There's also a buffet, but no price listed. Does anyone know how much that costs?

Last edited by iahphx; Jan 22, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Originally Posted by iahphx
This is all really stupid. I contacted the hotel a week or two ago and was also told the credit was only good in the grand dining room. So I guess no room service anymore? What does breakfast cost in the dining room? I thought they're supposed to provide you the equivalent of a free continental breakfast. I'm skeptical that only costs $15 at this hotel.
I am not sure I. Th cost of the buffet, but a previous poster mentioned it was $39. I did take a look at the menu and the items a la carte menu ranged from $20-35. I believe children under 5 eat free with an adult.

So in no way does the $15 actually cover the cost of the cheapest breakfast in the dining room.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the Honors "fact sheet" they sent me.

HH Benefit Info HHonors Tier In-Hotel Benefits

Blue  Two bottles of water per stay  Use digital check-in  10 points per dollars spent  Use of the Exclusive Member Services Line

Silver VIP  Two bottles of water per stay  Use digital check-in  10 points per dollars spent  Use of the Exclusive Member Services Line

Gold VIP  Two bottles of water per stay  1 Complimentary movie  Use of the Exclusive Member Services Line  One category room upgrade (EXCLUDES suites and Napua Tower). If room upgrade is not available, member may choose one of the remaining options…  AND may choose ONE of the following benefits: - 1,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points - $15 dining credit per day, per person, up to 2 people with a maximum of 2 rooms. Credit applied at point of service, only applicable at Grand Dining Room.

Diamond VIP  Two bottles of water per stay  1 Complimentary movie  $15 dining credit per day, per person, up to 2 people with a maximum of 2 rooms. Credit applied at point of service, only applicable at Grand Dining Room.  Use of the Exclusive Member Services Line  One category room upgrade (EXCLUDES suites and Napua Tower). If room upgrade is not available, member may receive an additional 1,000 HHonors bonus points  1,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure I. Th cost of the buffet, but a previous poster mentioned it was $39. I did take a look at the menu and the items a la carte menu ranged from $20-35. I believe children under 5 eat free with an adult.

So in no way does the $15 actually cover the cost of the cheapest breakfast in the dining room.
According to the Hilton website, this is what Golds and Diamonds are supposed to receive:

"When selected as a MyWay Benefit by a Gold or Diamond Member, daily complimentary continental breakfast is provided for the Member and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of Member's stay. Breakfast is only served in the hotel's designated restaurant or Executive Lounge. At the discretion of the hotel or where breakfast is a brand amenity, the hotel may provide full breakfast or in-room service.""

I'm guessing it would theoretically be possible to order off-menu a muffin at the Grand Dining Room (which would then also theoretically include coffee and juice) for $15?

It's kind of screwball, and it seems petty given how expensive this hotel is (honestly, because of the crazy Maui hotel market, the Grand Wailea seems to be about the most overpriced Hilton in the world). But I suppose they don't see it that way.

As long as they don't renege on waiving the resort fee for award stays, I guess I can't be too unhappy about it. Marriott and IHG are now routinely hitting me up for $30 and $40 "destination charges" (not even resort fees since they're not resorts) at their USA properties on award stays. I'm waiting for a class action lawsuit on those.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:29 pm

I checked out yesterday and I can confirm that it is a credit only for the breakfast in the grand dining room. I did not eat there but had charges at several other places every day and received no credit. I did however get an upgrade to Napua club on a standard room reward, so I am not complaining.

I booked three nights over MLK weekend for the Terrace King. I had emailed asking if possible if I could have 2 queens since it was me and my adult daughter using the room. I got a reply from the concierge that he would make a note in my reservation but that the room did have a fold out couch. The hotel was sold out on the website but when I checked in online, I noticed that my reservation was now for 2 queens Napua club. Maybe they had more demand for king rooms. I am diamond by credit card and gold by nights.

Beautiful hotel but yes overpriced if paying cash but great on an award stay. Noisy if you are an early to bed type.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:29 pm

Interesting that you received a welcome letter, and I did not. As I mentioned, I had to ask the front desk if I received 30/day anywhere, and she confirmed. After reading the updates on the forum, I was curious what would happen upon check out. Sure enough, my original receipt did not give the credit ($150). I called the front desk, and he explained to me that it was for the grand dining room only. I informed him what my front desk agent told me, his response was only “Sorry, she told you wrong”. I asked how that was my fault, and how should I know. He again only apologized. I asked to speak to a manager on duty, and he put me on hold. After a few minutes he came back and informed me he was able to apply the $150 credit to my bill.

I also noticed that sometime during my stay, the stated benefits on the app was updated to state that the diamond benefit was $15 per person per day, max 2 people, for the grand dining room only. It also states that the credit would be applied at the time of purchase at the restaurant. I have no idea when this app update occurred, as it was not listed this way when I checked in.
I just remembered the $30 credit was taken off by the breakfast server, not at check out. Glad you got the credit reimbursed, but the agent was definitely wrong by telling you it applies anywhere within the resort.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:33 pm

EDIT: The hotel sent me the breakfast menu for the grand dining room. It looks like most "a la carte" breakfasts cost $26 to $30, but it seems like coffee and juice are included in that price. There's also a buffet, but no price listed. Does anyone know how much that costs?
Can confirm buffet is $39pp. Cheapest a la carte item is acai bowl for $20, which we ordered and is actually quite nicely put in a half pineapple. Most expensive item is customizable omelette at $30. Anything comes with one glass of juice (no refill) and coffee. The credit definitely will not cover your breakfast bill, so it will be around $20-30 extra out of pocket for you after tax and tip.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ezak
Can confirm buffet is $39pp. Cheapest a la carte item is acai bowl for $20, which we ordered and is actually quite nicely put in a half pineapple. Most expensive item is customizable omelette at $30. Anything comes with one glass of juice (no refill) and coffee. The credit definitely will not cover your breakfast bill, so it will be around $20-30 extra out of pocket for you after tax and tip.
Then how is that a "continental breakfast benefit"? No one is asking them to give away 2 free buffets every day.

I really don't understand why they can get away with this, and all their previous machinations of "breakfast only at night", "breakfast only for room service"...ridiculous. $15 per person is pretty standard, just take it off every day there is any kind of restaurant charge and be done with it.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Then how is that a "continental breakfast benefit"? No one is asking them to give away 2 free buffets every day.

I really don't understand why they can get away with this, and all their previous machinations of "breakfast only at night", "breakfast only for room service"...ridiculous. $15 per person is pretty standard, just take it off every day there is any kind of restaurant charge and be done with it.
Well, I'm "asking" for the free buffet (many other Hilton hotels include it), but I don't think I'll receive it from these guys.

But, yes, this is wrong. If there's supposed to be a specified loyalty program benefit, that benefit should exist. I am still wondering if it's possible to order a muffin for $15, and that's their defense.

And I still don't understand why the breakfast benefit has to change every month or so. I mean, really. Given the room rates this place charges, is it really that important for them to focus so much attention on this modest elite benefit and constantly change it?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:12 pm

Well, I'm "asking" for the free buffet (many other Hilton hotels include it), but I don't think I'll receive it from these guys.

But, yes, this is wrong. If there's supposed to be a specified loyalty program benefit, that benefit should exist. I am still wondering if it's possible to order a muffin for $15, and that's their defense.

And I still don't understand why the breakfast benefit has to change every month or so. I mean, really. Given the room rates this place charges, is it really that important for them to focus so much attention on this modest elite benefit and constantly change it?
I wish they could offer a take-out style breakfast for $15, this way you at least get something to eat without having to pay extra.

I guess they’re changing the benefit because of capacity issues. Before the “room service” era, people complained waiting in line at the cafe. And perhaps their room service team couldn’t handle the volume of elite members. Not defending them, just guessing their logic behind the scenes.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:38 pm

Anyone have an actual picture of the breakfast menu? The most recent one I could find was from several years ago.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Anyone have an actual picture of the breakfast menu? The most recent one I could find was from several years ago.
I have one, but flyertalk says the file is too big to attach. All breakfasts include juice and coffee, and range from $20 for the acai bowl to $30 for an omelette. Loco moco at $29 is as "wild" as the menu gets, otherwise it's standard hotel breakfast fare.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:34 am

My experience over New Years as a Diamond. I was given a sheet at check in that stated $30 per day Food and Beverage credit. Had to be used each day, not cumulative. Was able to snag an upgrade to the Napua tower, so we ate there every morning. Charged snacks and cocktails by the pool each day. Went to concierge prior to check out and got a copy of my folio. It showed $150 HH credit for the 5 days.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Did you have to use it at the Grand Dining Room?
No, it was good on all charges, Botero Bar, Volcano Grill, breakfast buffet......drinks at the pool. Did not have any restrictions
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
No, it was good on all charges, Botero Bar, Volcano Grill, breakfast buffet......drinks at the pool. Did not have any restrictions
Strange how everyone has a different experience. Check-in roulette. We're not going for a while so who knows what it will be then. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.