Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
When we stayed at the Grand Wailea for the first time two years ago, after a couple of days we had a lovely little box of nice chocolates in our room, with a card that read, paraphrasing: "We know you have a choice where you want to use your Honors points, and we are very happy you decided to stay with us".

Doesn't sound to me like they dislike points stayers. And at that point in time we probably had not charged up "that" much for them to know what our total bill would be.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Just to correct misinformation, the hotel is only reimbursed a nominal amount (~$50/nt) based on which brand it is. It is unrelated to occupancy.

Here is the same link I posted on this thread a couple days ago: REVEALED: How Much Hilton Reimburses Hotels When You Book Awards

My point is not that you're screwing the hotel/Hilton over, you're ultimate screwing your fellow points-schemers. But based on the tone of your thread, you don't care as long as you get to freeload. We can leave it at that.
He is not screwing anyone over and isn't freeloading. As he said, those points have value and everyone signed up for this willingly.

Edit: How can you say it is unrelated to occupancy when the first bullet point in that article is: When a hotel isn’t full, it’s reimbursement rate is fixed regardless of prevailing room rate. Doesn't that imply that the reimbursement rate is different when the hotel is full?

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Dec 19, 2018 at 9:47 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am somewhat dismayed that the topic of "how to get good value out of your $30 credit" has become a contentious one. Personally, I don't care if folks spend $30 or $3000 a day -- I'm just looking for information on what food and beverage is a (comparative) value at this hotel.

FWIW, I plan to drop several hundred dollars at this hotel during my award stay. Not because I'm worried about the hotel's profitability, but because I have an Aspire credit and an additional AMEX offer that is incentivizing me to do so. If the optics look better for the hotel because of this, that's great, but I know they're going to do whatever they want to do anyway.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Just to correct misinformation, the hotel is only reimbursed a nominal amount (~$50/nt) based on which brand it is. It is unrelated to occupancy.

Here is the same link I posted on this thread a couple days ago: REVEALED: How Much Hilton Reimburses Hotels When You Book Awards
I certainly don't want to ever post anything untrue. (I did state in my post that the information was based on my recollection of what I'd read.) However, I'm a bit confused by your correction, since the link you posted says that the reimbursement is related to occupancy:
  • When a hotel isn’t full, it’s reimbursement rate is fixed regardless of prevailing room rate.
If reimbursement depend on if a hotel is full, then by definition it depends on occupancy.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by anabolism
I certainly don't want to ever post anything untrue. (I did state in my post that the information was based on my recollection of what I'd read.) However, I'm a bit confused by your correction, since the link you posted says that the reimbursement is related to occupancy:
If reimbursement depend on if a hotel is full, then by definition it depends on occupancy.
makes sense since if the hotel wasn’t highly occupied, the room would’ve been unsold and generated no revenue, so the hotel gets something nominal for their troubles in hosting the reward member.

if the hotel was nearly full, then the room likely would’ve been sold for money, so it displaces cash revenue. Thus, Hilton Corp reimburses the hotel for the foregone revenue.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

makes sense since if the hotel wasn’t highly occupied, the room would’ve been unsold and generated no revenue, so the hotel gets something nominal for their troubles in hosting the reward member.

if the hotel was nearly full, then the room likely would’ve been sold for money, so it displaces cash revenue. Thus, Hilton Corp reimburses the hotel for the foregone revenue.
Yes, what you say has been my understanding for many years. My post was in response to @patmcpsu, who wrote that the reimbursement rate doesn't depend on occupancy (but only on hotel brand, nothing else) yet cited a link that confirms that it does.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: VS Gold and a few more.....
Hi,

I can’t see the answer to this up thread so hopefully someone can help. If you buy at any of the gift stores or boutiques at GW and charge the value of the purchase to your room account - Do you earn Points on these purchases as per if you were using any of the bars/dining facilities?

Thanks in advance,

SD
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
All incidental purchases charged to your room at Waldorf Astoria's earn base and bonus points. Only a couple of Hilton family (the lower cost hotel chains) members don't allow this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Is it smokey there this weekend? Wildfire caused evacuation of a Wailea resort across the road.

Maui Now : Wailea Fire Burns 200 Acres, 60% Contained
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: VS Gold and a few more.....
I’m there currently - The fire started in a local electric substation at 18:45... It was a substantial blaze - The photo below was taken from the hotel entrance.

Power at GW was out for approximately 3 hours - The staff handled the situation well from what I saw given it stopped most people dining for the evening... The local Pizza takeout did well..!

A threat of mass evacuation of all properties in Wailea Beach was sent out via the local mobile phone beacon to everyone with an active SIM in the area at about 10pm which caused some panic. GW management soon issued an internal announcement via TV’s in room to advise this was premature and thankfully not needed.

I believe the sprinklers at the golf course across the road were activated to stop any potential spread in the direction of the beach hotels which was good thinking by someone.

A lot of guests reported smoke smells in their rooms last night due to the AC circulation. It woke me up about 2am and caused me to have a look around. I soon worked out it wasn’t to be worried about and put up with it for the rest of the night.

All is now back to normal in the hotel and the smoke has moved on. Hopefully the blaze is fully contained soon.

Thumbs up to GW staff for their professional approach.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
I'm thinking of planning a trip to this resort as I've got enough points for 5 nights standard awards and 2 weekend night certs. Our family includes 3 adults and 2 children (ages 14 and 15).

Understanding that there's no way to fit this many people in a terrace view king bed, what are the possible options for paid upgrades that could accommodate this many people? I didn't find too many posts regarding paid upgrades and costs so was wondering if anyone had experience this & how they were able to make it work?

I looked at the floor plans & wasn't sure if the 2 Queen setup included a couch. Even so, I assume you can't just bring 5 people into these rooms as there's some type of wristband program in place. Would I have to book a second room or are there rooms that fit this many guests?

Last edited by flyingsna; Jan 17, 2019 at 12:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
The high end suites have 2 and 3 bedrooms. Otherwise I don't see you getting 5 in a standard room there.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
Thank you for confirming- I wonder if anyone in this forum has experience or could steer me to the estimated cost to upgrade from the Terrace King room.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by flyingsna
Thank you for confirming- I wonder if anyone in this forum has experience or could steer me to the estimated cost to upgrade from the Terrace King room.
I believe you would need to call directly to get pricing for the top suites. Just based on the difference in the going rate between Terrace King and the lowest level suite, that is probably over $800 a night price. I think it would be very cost prohibitive to try to upgrade a free room into a big enough room to sleep 5 people, likely much cheaper to just get two rooms, plus you would get a full second bathroom. My understanding is that all suites only come with one king bed except the Grand Suite, so a connecting room would still need to be added onto a suite in order to fit everybody.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador
Updated Diamond Breakfast Benefit

Just returned from four nights at the GW, and thought I'd provide an update on the Diamond breakfast benefit. The $30/room/day credit is gone.
The benefit is now a $15 credit per person to be used only in the Grand Dining Room. FYI, the full breakfast buffet is $39/person, and a la carte items range from $20 (Grand Acai Bowl) to $30 (Create Your Own Omelette), juice and coffee included. Tax and tip extra.

No welcome letter was provided as the benefit was only recently updated.
Disappointing, and not much of a benefit IMO; I stuck with grab and go from Kula Cafe or Island Market at the Shops.

Apologies if someone else has already posted on this topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.