Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Is it just me, or does the frequency by which this hotel changes its elite breakfast benefit seem absolutely bizarre?

I'm glad the Sunday brunch is nice. But I'm hard pressed to think that any brunch could be worth about $160 for 2. I guess if I applied my $60 credit, it would only be $100.

Any better value options to spend the new credit?
I'm sure the changes are due to all Waldorf Astorias now requiring a breakfast benefit (effective 1/1/2018), and this particular Waldorf having trouble finding a way to meet their obligation without shooting themselves in the foot. Honestly, I expect them to change it again in the future, because a $30 overall credit is too generous. I predict that either:
  1. Hilton Honors terms will change its terms to make resort properties exempt
  2. The resort will construct a bare-bones lounge with bare-bones continental breakfast offerings.
The daily $30 credit is per room, not per person. So $65/person buffet x 2 people is $130, and you can apply the $30 to bring it effectively $100 plus tip. As far as justifying the cost, it's a lot of high-end stuff (and high quality too) so if you eat/drink enough it becomes a bargain compared to anything else at the resort. Here's the menu: Sunday Brunch Menu

Here is a picture of the terms sheet regarding the $30 credit. It's a lot of words for a straightforward policy:
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Ti, Hilton Dia, MVC Chairman, Hertz PC, Royal Caribbean D+, MSC Diamond
I like this change of $30 to spend in restaurant or room service better. By the third night, my son wanted to eat somewhere besides ordering room service. He lives a very hard life it seems. In the afternoon my wife mentioned they do have something out in the Napua Lounge but it was very basic. We ate breakfast every morning in lounge which was very convenient. Also we were able to partake of happy hour and heavy apps every evening. The apps left us full and not needing to go and get dinner. Impressed enough that we will be trying to use our three free nights next year (two aspire and one ascend 15k spend cert).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:05 am

I have an upcoming stay with a family of 4. We will probably only eat a couple times at the resort because we tend to be out exploring/activities and can have better breakfast options while driving. This policy works well for us since it will effectively be $150 credit for 5 nights. If we use it all at even 1 meal, it works better for us
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Silly me for thinking it would be $30 per person (although I've been given $25 per person at some regular Hiltons on the mainland). Obviously, this won't go very far. But can we at least pool the credits? Like if we're staying 3 nights, we'll just be issued a $90 credit to use any way we'd like during our stay?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by frank808
I like this change of $30 to spend in restaurant or room service better. By the third night, my son wanted to eat somewhere besides ordering room service. He lives a very hard life it seems. In the afternoon my wife mentioned they do have something out in the Napua Lounge but it was very basic. We ate breakfast every morning in lounge which was very convenient. Also we were able to partake of happy hour and heavy apps every evening. The apps left us full and not needing to go and get dinner. Impressed enough that we will be trying to use our three free nights next year (two aspire and one ascend 15k spend cert).
So this trip you were in the Napua Tower...if you use 3 free nights next time I'm sure they are for regular rooms, no? So will you pay to upgrade again? Trying to figure out if we're offered an upgrade to the Napua Tower if it would be worth it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So this trip you were in the Napua Tower...if you use 3 free nights next time I'm sure they are for regular rooms, no? So will you pay to upgrade again? Trying to figure out if we're offered an upgrade to the Napua Tower if it would be worth it.
"Worth it" is a personal judgement only you can make. Breakfast and drinks are free, lots of apps and other food items. If those have appeal to you, then it might be "worth it" to you. But we don't know you, and what is of value to you.

We have stayed at GW 8 or 10 times, always in the Napua Tower. It is "worth it" to us.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
"Worth it" is a personal judgement only you can make. Breakfast and drinks are free, lots of apps and other food items. If those have appeal to you, then it might be "worth it" to you. But we don't know you, and what is of value to you.

We have stayed at GW 8 or 10 times, always in the Napua Tower. It is "worth it" to us.
I was actually speaking to Frank808 - he was in the Napua Tower this trip, but would not be if he uses free night certificates on his next trip. I was wondering if *he* would pay to upgrade again.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

Thanks. Silly me for thinking it would be $30 per person (although I've been given $25 per person at some regular Hiltons on the mainland). Obviously, this won't go very far. But can we at least pool the credits? Like if we're staying 3 nights, we'll just be issued a $90 credit to use any way we'd like during our stay?
No, $30 must be charged to the room each day. If you charge stuff to the room on only one day, only one $30 credit would apply. To give a sense of how easy it is to spend $30 in a given day, most poolside cocktails are about $15/ea.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:13 am

Ah. I hate that. Would rather just use them all towards a brunch.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pwdump
Ah. I hate that. Would rather just use them all towards a brunch.
Yeah, I might feel the same way. So for us "value seekers," what are some (comparatively) good ways to use the credit? Is there a plausible happy hour, a relatively good food deal, etc?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:07 am

Yeah, I might feel the same way. So for us "value seekers," what are some (comparatively) good ways to use the credit? Is there a plausible happy hour, a relatively good food deal, etc?
I consider the Sunday Brunch to be the best value encountered during my stay (it provided all the food and alcohol I needed for the day, basically). I believe Botero Lounge has a happy hour from 3-5pm (and possibly another one later in the evening?), but I forget the specifics.

Also, I know everybody wants to save money, but we also don't want to ruin a good thing. This property has been stingy about offering rewards nights and only recently increased availability. We don't want to kill the golden goose by having points-stays associated with cheapskates. This resort has a business model, and that business model involves guests spending money. Don't get me wrong, I stocked-up on wine/snacks at the ABC store, and ate my fair-share of meals off the resort, but spending the $30 credit on the resort each day and no more will come off as freeloading. If enough people do it, the $30 credit, the awards availability, or both, would probably go away.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Is it just me, or does the frequency by which this hotel changes its elite breakfast benefit seem absolutely bizarre?

I'm glad the Sunday brunch is nice. But I'm hard pressed to think that any brunch could be worth about $160 for 2. I guess if I applied my $60 credit, it would only be $100.

Any better value options to spend the new credit?
Good lord! I though $100 for my breakfast (2 adult, 1 child) next door at the Marriott was bad.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Good lord! I though $100 for my breakfast (2 adult, 1 child) next door at the Marriott was bad.
This is the last time I'll repeat myself on this, but the cost of the brunch is $65 (making it $130 for two people). And this is a brunch (with high-end offerings like oysters, crab legs, steak, etc) in addition to the standard breakfast stuff (eggs, bacon, etc), plus bottomless mimosas. The full menu is here and you'll see that it's apples and oranges when compared to a typical breakfast buffet. I consider this brunch to be the best value I encountered on the resort.

Last edited by patmcpsu; Dec 17, 2018 at 8:48 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
We don't want to kill the golden goose by having points-stays associated with cheapskates.
Characterizing those who don’t buy into your (misguided, IME) definition of proper travel behavior as “cheapskates” dramatically reduces your credibility.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
This is the last time I'll repeat myself on this, but the cost of the brunch is $65 (making it $130 for two people). And this is a brunch (with high-end offerings like oysters, crab legs, steak, etc) in addition to the standard breakfast stuff (eggs, bacon, etc), plus bottomless mimosas. The full menu is here and you'll see that it's apples and oranges when compared to a typical breakfast buffet. I consider this brunch to be the best value I encountered on the resort.
It looks good, but I am having a hard time considering $65 (before tax and tip) to be a good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.