Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by thehaviet
Dates are 8/6 through 8/12

2 adults, 3 children under 13 yr old......
Five people is going to make it tough at Grand Wailea.
Cheking on the Chase Ultimate Rewards site, the Fairmont Kea Lani currently shows availability for your dates, for five people, at close to half of the GW rate. (Assuming you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve/if not, get one)
Kea Lani is just down the beach way from GW and is all suites.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Several...
Originally Posted by BOSOGG

Five people is going to make it tough at Grand Wailea.
Cheking on the Chase Ultimate Rewards site, the Fairmont Kea Lani currently shows availability for your dates, for five people, at close to half of the GW rate. (Assuming you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve/if not, get one)
Kea Lani is just down the beach way from GW and is all suites.
I just realized the Visa Infinite site (know it's different than CUR site) only allows you to search rooms for 4 guests total...

Anyway...here are some travel promotions for Maui at various hotels.

Promotions in Maui by Travel Impressions
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by soliloquy
I think the problem is that 5 people in one room forces you into a Suite at that property. You could find very reasonable rates for 4, but not 5.

5 guests per room exceeds the room occupancy limit for many hotels. You may see more availability if you decrease your number of guests.
2 queen and a roll-away will work for 5 people
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Several...
Originally Posted by fyugioh
2 queen and a roll-away will work for 5 people
Unfortunately, it can't be booked through the website that way. Maybe if he contacts the resort directly.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:50 am

I've been looking to change a current 6 night reward stay at GW, but nothing has been available. I looked this morning and although the alternate dates I'm looking for still aren't available, I noticed a bunch of 6 nights stays are:

Hope this helps a fellow FT. There were many other dates too.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:25 am

I noticed the same thing on Saturday as it seems they suddenly released a bunch on summer rooms all at once. I was able to finally change my 4 night point stay to a 5 night (using the 5th night free booking) and add on one more night in Maui for the same amount of points!! Whoop whoop!!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Ok...In need of some advice. We're looking to travel to Maui during death week- the time between Christmas and New Year's. Never been to Hawaii, wife and kids basically begging to go before the oldest hits college next year, etc... There are decent redemption rates for the Terrace view rooms, and I have enough where cash and points will make it almost palatable.

So...how are these rooms? I've seen mixed reviews. Some saying the rooms are really outdated, low end, etc. Some saying that they were fine. For this type of trip and outlay- at $1k+ per night before any point redemption- I don't really want to be dissapointed upon entering the rooms....
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by gold23
Ok...In need of some advice. We're looking to travel to Maui during death week- the time between Christmas and New Year's. Never been to Hawaii, wife and kids basically begging to go before the oldest hits college next year, etc... There are decent redemption rates for the Terrace view rooms, and I have enough where cash and points will make it almost palatable.

So...how are these rooms? I've seen mixed reviews. Some saying the rooms are really outdated, low end, etc. Some saying that they were fine. For this type of trip and outlay- at $1k+ per night before any point redemption- I don't really want to be dissapointed upon entering the rooms....
All standard rooms (up to Deluxe Ocean View) at Grand Wailea are pretty much the same, and the only difference will be the view and the floor the room is on. All rooms were renovated recently.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gold23

We will be there at that time. Try not to spend much time in the room. Use it to shower and sleep....too much to do. You will be fine
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:35 pm

Girlfriend and I are staying in May. I read on TA that they use wrist bands to control access to the pool. Don't know how contemporary and/or accurate that is. Two of my friends are staying at a nearby hotel. Any thoughts on how possible it would be for them to join us at the pool? Much obliged!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Yes, GW does use bands to limit use of the pool to GW occupants...they have for at least 10 years. Your friends might be able to visit, but they won't be able to use the water facilities.But recently have seen staff checking generally as well...so no guarantees.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:47 pm

Thanks. I guess if nothing else we could join them at the beach, since I'm thinking those are all public?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
And they change the color of the wristbands every day. So you can't (not that you would) save yours from the day before and give to your friends the next day.

Can you join them at their pool?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:01 pm

That may be the way to go if push comes to shove (figuratively at least).

Last edited by rincewind44; Mar 26, 2018 at 6:05 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind44
Girlfriend and I are staying in May. I read on TA that they use wrist bands to control access to the pool. Don't know how contemporary and/or accurate that is. Two of my friends are staying at a nearby hotel. Any thoughts on how possible it would be for them to join us at the pool? Much obliged!
Yeah, no guests at the pool. You might change your room to 4 adults instead of 2, and get their names as your other two in-room. If it doesn't change your room rate, of course
They give the same number of bands as registered guests and are VERY strict about it. No registered guest , no pool access or lounge chair access, and yes they will catch them and ask them to leave. I've watched it happen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.