Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
These were for the first 10 or so days of October. The hotel appears to have a big convention at mid month, and we are booked right after the convention. Standard paid booking.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bigjimbo99
I thought there was now a 95,000 point maximum for all Properties? All gone now? Any ideas places left to obtain value greater than 0.4 cents on HH points?
The maximum is for a standard room and there are plenty of places to obtain that value, though not necessarily in Maui.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: Amex, AA, BA, Delta, True Blue, Hyatt, Fairmont, Marriott, HH, IHG
Thank you, it was the convention dates that I saw. Good to know that 95,000 can still get a standard room if not too busy.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bigjimbo99
Thank you, it was the convention dates that I saw. Good to know that 95,000 can still get a standard room if not too busy.
I have been watching Reward nights here for more than a year. Standard rooms at the Grand Wailea are called "Terrace" rooms but they are not always available for sale on the website even when they aren't fully booked. Instead, this resorts seems to release standard rooms periodically throughout the year but them they will pull them just as quickly. Best just to look every day.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:14 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
I am checking out today from a brief stay at this hotel so a few points to contribute:
  • Was able to grab two rooms at 95k points for 2 nights about 5 days prior to the trip. This is peak season (Dec 28-30) but the availability fluctuated quite a bit from hour to hour. For a few days we didn't have enough points, then after buying some, the room wasn't available etc.
  • No upgrades at checkin offered or even looked for. Perhaps peak season? But not even a courtesy of we couldn't find an upgrade for you. Since we had a cranky 1 year old in tow, I took what was given and moved on to settle down. The terrace rooms we got faced the parking lot partially, so kinda noisy and a buzz kill. The agent did spend a few minutes going over amenities we got from resort fee (oh you get free long distance, free coffee in room ... I hate this part where they make it sound like its such a big deal). I had to remind him that there is no resort fee charge atleast.
  • No diamond or gold line for checkin. So 30 minutes waiting.
  • Room wasn't really clean, no toiletries in one room, bath tub had hair.
  • Couldn't give connecting rooms even after requesting during reservation.
  • Pools were good (read: not mind-blowing). Food was quite mediocre at best.
  • No cabanas or beach chairs available. Were told cabanas were sold out for a week (huh?), and beach chairs had a 15 party waitlist ahead of us. Really? When a hotel is selling for over $1000 a night, this is what they provide?
  • No reservations available from concierge for Humu, but could find many on Opentable.
  • Finally got a 2pm checkout atleast on one room on the bright side.
  • Was able to use the coupons for drinks and $20 off dinner easily, that was a bright point too.
  • Some of the staff members we met were excellent - esp at pools, bartenders, servers etc.
Given that this is marketed as a five-star property, I wasn't much impressed and expected much more. I could see myself paying 3-400$ or so for this given the excellent beach and location, anything else is just a ripoff. I think the sweet spot is when you have a few young kids who can keep themselves entertained in the pools all day, this may be worth it. I have stayed at the Andaz down the road and would easily go back there next time. The Grand Hyatt Kauai, similarly setup too, is much nicer. Will be trying to Marriott next time also.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Good luck finding $3-400 for this area during the peak of peak seasons. As to the cabanas, they have XX number. They don't just keep a couple extra in a closet. Did you try and book in advance? We book them in advance every time we go. Again, peak of peak seasons. We have seen the cabanas heavily booked in non-peak season.

That being said, as they have completed their remodeling, their prices are definitely up for 2018.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
I am checking out today from a brief stay at this hotel so a few points to contribute:
  • Was able to grab two rooms at 95k points for 2 nights about 5 days prior to the trip. This is peak season (Dec 28-30) but the availability fluctuated quite a bit from hour to hour. For a few days we didn't have enough points, then after buying some, the room wasn't available etc.
  • No upgrades at checkin offered or even looked for. Perhaps peak season? But not even a courtesy of we couldn't find an upgrade for you. Since we had a cranky 1 year old in tow, I took what was given and moved on to settle down. The terrace rooms we got faced the parking lot partially, so kinda noisy and a buzz kill. The agent did spend a few minutes going over amenities we got from resort fee (oh you get free long distance, free coffee in room ... I hate this part where they make it sound like its such a big deal). I had to remind him that there is no resort fee charge atleast.
  • No cabanas or beach chairs available. Were told cabanas were sold out for a week (huh?), and beach chairs had a 15 party waitlist ahead of us. Really? When a hotel is selling for over $1000 a night, this is what they provide?
  • No reservations available from concierge for Humu, but could find many on Opentable.
  • Was able to use the coupons for drinks and $20 off dinner easily, that was a bright point too.
  • Some of the staff members we met were excellent - esp at pools, bartenders, servers etc.
Given that this is marketed as a five-star property, I wasn't much impressed and expected much more. I could see myself paying 3-400$ or so for this given the excellent beach and location, anything else is just a ripoff. I think the sweet spot is when you have a few young kids who can keep themselves entertained in the pools all day, this may be worth it. I have stayed at the Andaz down the road and would easily go back there next time. The Grand Hyatt Kauai, similarly setup too, is much nicer. Will be trying to Marriott next time also.
Was just there the 13th-19th of December. My experience was 180 degrees different than yours for all but the last 2 points. My stay was great. Upgraded from the Terrace room to an Ocean View. Used points at 79K per night for 6 nights. All service was excellent. And dinner at Humuhumu was fantastic with an awesome table. Didn't try for any cabanas or lounge chairs so can't really comment other than there were always a couple of each available during our walks. Spa Grande was fantastic for my wife's Escape package and my pedicure. So I was very pleased.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
You probably were not upgraded, even though Diamond, because you booked so late. LIFO. A diamond who has held that reservation for 11 months, IMHO, should be the one upgraded.

And I think from reading this thread everyone's expectations are elevated because so many of us were upgraded.

My mindset was that I'd be perfectly happy with the Terrace/parking lot view I booked on points, so when we were upgraded to "only" garden view we were very happy.

I hope you addressed your room issues immediately (no toiletries, hairs) sounds like housekeeping did a very quick/shoddy job. If you call it to their attention I'm sure they would improve considerably.

I never bother with concierges, personally, just not my style. No big deal to make your own dinner reservations.

Our experience was also very different because we went off season (Sept.) and were able to negotiate a great cabana for a good price.

Was the pool not great to you for some reason? I just loved the lazy river, I went round and round and round and...
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
I am not sure what you expect. You book a hotel in Hawaii at the absolute busiest time of the year and then complain that you can't get adjoining rooms, you have a partial view of a parking lot and some other people who had reservations for months beat you to reserving cabanas and food at Humu? Am I reading this right? Guess why the hotel can charge $1000 per night for low end rooms this time of year......THEY ARE SLAMMED. This means people who planned their trips out in December and January of last year beat you to all of those things.
I will concede they should have clean rooms, with no hair in tub and Wailea does suffer from not having at least a Diamond check in line but the other stuff is just hard to read the complaints about
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL
In fairness to the person posting, other than the cabanas, it didn't read as a complaint to me. More a series of observations. I think it's pretty much accepted that you won't get an upgrade at most resort hotels at this time of year, but it does seem that other aspects of the level of service expected from this property were poor. I do agree that the cabana thing is quite annoying, but I also find them over-priced anyway. However, if they're selling out the hotel obviously knows its market well.
I do love the GW, but I'd say it's WA based on location only. I wouldn't rate it as WA based on accommodation or service. Definitely a hotel I love going back to, but I don't quite agree with the brand position.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Dec 30, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
In fairness to the person posting, other than the cabanas, it didn't read as a complaint to me. More a series of observations.
I agree, it was descriptive, not whiny, and a valuable data point for keeping expectations reasonable.

I would have been bummed with that series of occurrences, too.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I agree, it was descriptive, not whiny, and a valuable data point for keeping expectations reasonable.

I would have been bummed with that series of occurrences, too.
I think there were clear complaints with the lack of ability to get adjoining rooms. Hard to expect when it is that busy.
I think there is a clear complaint on check out times, again hard to expect much later than 2pm in peak season.
Clear complaint on lack of ability to get into Humu. Sorry set number of seats and they are booked well in advance that time of year
Don't think you should expect comments or availability of free upgrades when it is peak season and you just stood 30 minutes in line to check in.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I do love the GW, but I'd say it's WA based on location only. I wouldn't rate it as WA based on accommodation or service. Definitely a hotel I love going back to, but I don't quite agree with the brand position.
I was at the GW for 3 nights earlier this year. We had never stayed at a Waldorf Astoria before. Based on the name, we had high hopes about everything, especially the service. It fell short on the service. I stood at the bell desk while two employees carried on a conversation without even acknowledging me. One of them even looked right at me. Now that I know what to expect, I wouldn't mind going back . I liked the food and the pool/lazy river/water slides. The beach was really nice too, but we didn't spend enough time there.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Marriott Hyatt

Managed to score a BRG rate under $300 a night for a Garden view in October. Concerned about some of the reviews but assuming most of those come from people who are paying a lot more and justifiably have high expectations. Any comments on the current condition of the rooms? Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by stlrod

Managed to score a BRG rate under $300 a night for a Garden view in October. Concerned about some of the reviews but assuming most of those come from people who are paying a lot more and justifiably have high expectations. Any comments on the current condition of the rooms? Thanks.
Rooms need upgrades. They are not terrible by any means but they are far from luxurious or modern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.