Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
omg I know how much you love GW so I’m shocked that you haven’t experienced it! Eek
it goes from bottom to top. The idea is that we start at the top to enjoy the slides and then we end up at the bottom. So to restart we need to get into the elevator and return to the top. It’s so great.
Ohhh, I was picturing an amusement park ride like Tower of Terror where you just dropped! And to think my abused grandkids had to WALK up the steps every time they used the slides! I'll never tell them what they missed. Actually, knowing them and now knowing what I know, after maybe trying it once I don't think they would have waited for an elevator, they'd take the stairs anyway!
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I had to look up images of this thing since it has never been operational when we were there....and I have a theory as to why it will never come back in this post Covid world - every picture I saw people were crammed shoulder to shoulder. I'm sure they could space them out, but still...

So did you start at the top and go down, start at the bottom and go up, or get a round-trip ride? Was it really fast like a big drop, or did it go slowly?
it has like a 10-12 person capacity and is very slow; much faster to use the stairs, but thats not the point!

its a one-way ride up, where they'd let the riders out and immediately start with a slide out into the top pool.
no more dangerous being in a pool FULL OF CHLORINE swimming next to someone; although we've seen plenty of travel industry money-saving cutbacks disguised as "for your safety during these unprecedented times."
i truly think its a deferred maintenance issue, and if someone is uptight about riding the water elevator due to covid, they ought not to swim there either
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Elite Membership - Grand Wailea

Any current members that can share your experiences. Looked at joining several years ago and did not. Enrollment fee is now $2500. I already have Lifetime Diamond status and most of my stays there I just use points. The Spa and Food discounts are intriguing but not sure I will get the value.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
it has like a 10-12 person capacity and is very slow; much faster to use the stairs, but thats not the point!

its a one-way ride up, where they'd let the riders out and immediately start with a slide out into the top pool.
no more dangerous being in a pool FULL OF CHLORINE swimming next to someone; although we've seen plenty of travel industry money-saving cutbacks disguised as "for your safety during these unprecedented times."
i truly think its a deferred maintenance issue, and if someone is uptight about riding the water elevator due to covid, they ought not to swim there either
That was my point, that Hilton could be using the Covid card to not fix the elevator. But if it truly is the only one in the world (as someone said) maybe the part simply can't be made/found. We had no problems spending hours on end in the pools both this August and last October (when Covid was even more of an issue). I don't like crowds, so I personally would not care to be on the elevator, but it has nothing to do with Covid, just my love of my personal space. Plus I would have no desire to go down a slide, so if I rode to the top I guess I'd just be walking down.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at some videos I see no attraction to the water elevator. Too crowded and slow. Nothing to do with Covid for me. Maybe ride once just to say you did it but not for me. I've been there a couple times. It was working first time but didn't ride it. Second time it was closed but don't feel I missed anything. Plenty of other things to see and do so I wouldn't cancel a trip just because the water elevator wasn't working.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
It and the annual fees are occasionally discussed in the Grand Wailea thread (search for "membership"):
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:27 pm

The owner of Pint and Cork is a complete jerk. Had multiple bad experiences with him. Go to Google and Yelp and read the reviews. He is a problem
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
"I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member"

Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like the type of club you get fleeced to join to enjoy the privilege of further being fleeced by the outrageous prices on resort.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:54 pm

So we are currently at the Grand Wailea. This is at least our 10th trip since 2000 and we are seriously trying to get a room at the Four Seasons and move out of here as quickly as possible. WHAT A TRAIN WRECK!!!
Half of the property is under renovation so there is constant construction noise. We were in the Napua Tower in a room that is $2000+ per night. They shut off our water without any notification because they were working in the room next door. No one could help us so we were moved to a completely different wing of the hotel.
The water elevator is not working and has not been for years. The Grotto Bar was closed for "emergency" repairs yet several workers told us it has been closed for some time and mostly due to the hotel being at low volume of guests so they do not want to spend resources to open it. Private dining/menu is shut down
The Spa has been under renovation for over a year. My wife got a massage in the temporary spa. Basically a hotel room that was converted. Her entire massage was overrun with construction noise on both sides. She had booked an early massage as she was told construction would not start before 0900 and yet it did. No help from the property or discount.
The hotel itself is run down, elevators had exposed adhesive where pictures or ads have been pulled down, not replaced and not repaired. All kinds of general maintaince issues. The fountain in front looks abandoned. Only half full, not working, flowers leaves and algae growing in it. The lake at Humu has now fish or any visuals in it and they are closed Monday and Tuesdays.
The adult pool is missing lots of tiles on the floor and sides of the pool. It is just not been a $2000 per night experience in any stretch.
To top it off they are hitting us with a $350 charge to check out after 4pm even though the hotel is well below capacity
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:43 pm

Nothing more annoying than construction noise during a massage.

As a PSA, I just want to throw some info out there - we stay over at the Ho'Olei villas, and by their very tranquil pool they advertise massages poolside in cabanas. I have NOT partaken of this, but I do know they are Hawaiian lomi lomi massages (which I have had in the past at other Hawaiian resorts) and are wonderful. This company is NOT affiliated with the GW Spa, it is a private company, and I do recall seeing that the prices are less than the GW prices. I have no other knowledge of this, but if you call the GW and ask to be transferred over to Ho'Olei I'm sure they will give you more info. I also don't know if you must be a Ho'O guest, but again, call for info. It's a short walk across the street.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
So we are currently at the Grand Wailea. This is at least our 10th trip since 2000 and we are seriously trying to get a room at the Four Seasons and move out of here as quickly as possible. WHAT A TRAIN WRECK!!!
Half of the property is under renovation so there is constant construction noise. We were in the Napua Tower in a room that is $2000+ per night. They shut off our water without any notification because they were working in the room next door. No one could help us so we were moved to a completely different wing of the hotel.
The water elevator is not working and has not been for years. The Grotto Bar was closed for "emergency" repairs yet several workers told us it has been closed for some time and mostly due to the hotel being at low volume of guests so they do not want to spend resources to open it. Private dining/menu is shut down
The Spa has been under renovation for over a year. My wife got a massage in the temporary spa. Basically a hotel room that was converted. Her entire massage was overrun with construction noise on both sides. She had booked an early massage as she was told construction would not start before 0900 and yet it did. No help from the property or discount.
The hotel itself is run down, elevators had exposed adhesive where pictures or ads have been pulled down, not replaced and not repaired. All kinds of general maintaince issues. The fountain in front looks abandoned. Only half full, not working, flowers leaves and algae growing in it. The lake at Humu has now fish or any visuals in it and they are closed Monday and Tuesdays.
The adult pool is missing lots of tiles on the floor and sides of the pool. It is just not been a $2000 per night experience in any stretch.
To top it off they are hitting us with a $350 charge to check out after 4pm even though the hotel is well below capacity
Sounds like yet another vivid example of why this property should be rebranded as a Doubletree.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Were you actually paying $2000 per night or using points? Just curious as regular rooms seem to cost up to $1500 per night. At least they were over the summer.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I used to pay full retail via Costco travel - about $700/night in 2019 for garden view because it was super close to the pool. I’m in sticker shock that it could be $1200 for the same room and with fewer amenities especially the water elevator.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
I used to pay full retail via Costco travel - about $700/night in 2019 for garden view because it was super close to the pool. I’m in sticker shock that it could be $1200 for the same room and with fewer amenities especially the water elevator.
That is the MINIMUM you will pay right now. Half of the hotel is closed right now. Constant construction and they simply dont care. It is very disappointing to say the least. Only room service for breakfast and lunch and it comes in a paper bag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.