Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Sep 10, 19, 1:05 pm
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Can’t understand why people continue to spend big $ or points at this property.
It's a nice property with Waldorf branding, so Hilton loyalists find it the overwhelming best Hilton option to earn or burn points if they want to be in Hawaii.

Marriott loyalists stay at the similarly disappointing but just as nice Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider properties in Honolulu for similar reasons. (The RC Kapalua on Maui is much nicer but doesn't extend the same benefits.)
Old Sep 10, 19, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
Because it is a nice hotel with nice pools on a nice beach in beautiful Maui. Most people don’t care about turn down service.
x2 Also very convenient to beaches such as Maluaka with great snorkeling in the area. We loved the various beaches we could visit and also the ability to experience a great pool with the kids in the afternoon...just wish the slides and lazy river stayed on later. There are only so mnay properties on Maui where one can use points. With my HH points numbering in the millions and the ability to use free weekend nights and buy 4 get 1 free, it is a rather decent value for the area. Just don't go in expecting a Park Hyatt experience...IMHO the property is just to large to have any sort of personal, luxury feel. The breakfast staff did remember us by the end of our stay and I think our son came home with a free collection of all of the GW stuffed animals that were available on-site.

Oh yea, I also had no issue getting our valet rate reduced from $40/day to $35 based on what our original confirmations showed.

Last edited by bmrisko; Sep 10, 19 at 5:57 pm
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:49 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM
Turn Down service available on request

Though turn down isn't a standard offering, if you call house keeping they will come do it. We did a couple nights while out at dinner and it worked out fine.
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:35 am

Programs: UA MP HH
Many, many people like Grand Wailea. It runs a pretty high occupancy rate, and has been raising prices since its ownership changed and the bulk of it's remodeling finished. It doesn't to be having problems being successful.

A small number of naysayers always try to influence things.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Gold, Caesars Diamond
The property also seems to be relying more heavily on group business at the expense of individual guests, but given high occupancy, it looks like that approach is working for them. I was there this weekend and there was what appeared to be a travel agent conference and a Chili's management incentive trip occurring at the same time. The TA conference took up the lawn by the fountains for meals, and the Chili's folks basically took over the rest of the place - their weekend-long open bar cabana was right by the poolside massage cabana and the spa was jam packed and rowdy as hell. I've been there around this time of year at least 4 times and have never encountered more than one conference or a few weddings across a weekend, none of which encroached upon everyone else's enjoyment of the common areas.

Service is super inconsistent, and it seems like changes aren't communicated very well among the staff. Called to ask about happy hour at Botero Bar, were told that it was from 3-5 daily. Went down, the bartender said they'd stopped it 8 months ago (it definitely existed when I was here in the spring). Called to confirm what time breakfast went until and got a different answer over the phone than what was printed in the September 2019 pamphlet - apparently the supposedly current pamphlet in the room was incorrect.

We had a bottle of sparkling wine in the room and no one ever came to retrieve the tray, ice bucket or flutes during our 4 days there. Seemed this was the case across the resort, as my brother in law and his wife had a tray of someone else's room service plates, ice bucket, etc. outside their door when they checked in and it was never retrieved. I really want to know how many ice buckets they have there that they can afford to just not collect them for days at a time!

Re: turndown - this sounds really stupid and first world problem-y, but they used to close the shutters at the sliding door, which can sometimes be sticky/difficult to close. We requested turndown twice and they never closed the shutters.

The beach basically disappeared when we were there in the spring (only 1 row of chairs could fit at some points), but it was wider this time. Not sure if it's tidal/time of year related or if they backfilled the sand, but it was much more enjoyable this time.

Pools are still great, bed still comfy, grounds still beautiful and F&B staff still friendly, but Blackstone has made a ton of tiny cutbacks in the past 18 months that, taken together, are just annoying at this point.

My biggest peeve has nothing to do with the actual resort or staff - it's the people who sprint down to the pool before breakfast (some even come up from the beach side before the pool staff drops the ropes at the stairs!), leave towels and books on 5+ chairs and don't come back until after noon. The official policy is the pool staff remove your unattended belongings after 60min, but no one actually does. Would love to see a system like Sheraton Waikiki where they have dry erase cards that say if you're not back by (time an hour from now), your items will be moved to the pool desk so someone else can enjoy the chair.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:07 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thanks @lexi123 for that summary/review.

You neatly outlined all the reasons why this hotel isn't really worthy of being considered a proper 5* luxury hotel IMO.
lexi123 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:05 pm

Location: California; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite, Omni
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

You neatly outlined all the reasons why this hotel isn't really worthy of being considered a proper 5* luxury hotel IMO.
But, but the GW has the only four wall handball court on that side of the island: that's worth half a * to me and about two other people in the world.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

GW hasn't been 5 star for several years. I don't believe they claim to be.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by lexi123 View Post
The property also seems to be relying more heavily on group business at the expense of individual guests, but given high occupancy, it looks like that approach is working for them. I was there this weekend and there was what appeared to be a travel agent conference and a Chili's management incentive trip occurring at the same time. The TA conference took up the lawn by the fountains for meals, and the Chili's folks basically took over the rest of the place - their weekend-long open bar cabana was right by the poolside massage cabana and the spa was jam packed and rowdy as hell. I've been there around this time of year at least 4 times and have never encountered more than one conference or a few weddings across a weekend, none of which encroached upon everyone else's enjoyment of the common areas.

Service is super inconsistent, and it seems like changes aren't communicated very well among the staff. Called to ask about happy hour at Botero Bar, were told that it was from 3-5 daily. Went down, the bartender said they'd stopped it 8 months ago (it definitely existed when I was here in the spring). Called to confirm what time breakfast went until and got a different answer over the phone than what was printed in the September 2019 pamphlet - apparently the supposedly current pamphlet in the room was incorrect.

We had a bottle of sparkling wine in the room and no one ever came to retrieve the tray, ice bucket or flutes during our 4 days there. Seemed this was the case across the resort, as my brother in law and his wife had a tray of someone else's room service plates, ice bucket, etc. outside their door when they checked in and it was never retrieved. I really want to know how many ice buckets they have there that they can afford to just not collect them for days at a time!

Re: turndown - this sounds really stupid and first world problem-y, but they used to close the shutters at the sliding door, which can sometimes be sticky/difficult to close. We requested turndown twice and they never closed the shutters.

The beach basically disappeared when we were there in the spring (only 1 row of chairs could fit at some points), but it was wider this time. Not sure if it's tidal/time of year related or if they backfilled the sand, but it was much more enjoyable this time.

Pools are still great, bed still comfy, grounds still beautiful and F&B staff still friendly, but Blackstone has made a ton of tiny cutbacks in the past 18 months that, taken together, are just annoying at this point.

My biggest peeve has nothing to do with the actual resort or staff - it's the people who sprint down to the pool before breakfast (some even come up from the beach side before the pool staff drops the ropes at the stairs!), leave towels and books on 5+ chairs and don't come back until after noon. The official policy is the pool staff remove your unattended belongings after 60min, but no one actually does. Would love to see a system like Sheraton Waikiki where they have dry erase cards that say if you're not back by (time an hour from now), your items will be moved to the pool desk so someone else can enjoy the chair.
I saw both of those conferences as well, but they never seemed to bother us. Probably b/c we were out at other beaches or parts of the island most of the day and didn't go to the main pool until 4 or later each day. I only saw the Chili's and travel agency signs around the property indicating the events, but never actually saw anything other than a meal over by the chapel. I do agree that it seems like GW gets the most business from large conferences and groups...not necessarily a bad thing if you know what to expect.

I do agree about the early pool reservation thing. We always went for walks around 7 and there would be quite a few folks down their claiming good chairs...as mentioned, we never went to the pool until the afternoon and there were always numerous open chairs, so not a big deal for us. I'd imagine if you wanted to use the pool early, this may be a slight annoyance. I'd probably just self-police if I saw stuff on a chair for more than a couple hours with no butt in the seat and take it upon myself to re-locate the belongings and occupy said chairs.

My biggest pet peeve is the marathon runners who think they own the Wailea walking path. I was walking with my 2 yr old one morning and literally got shoved out of the way by a runner as I was trying to yield to another family with a stroller. The dude was wearing leg and arm sleeves in the 90* heat, so probably wasn't all there to begin with anyways. Pretty sure it is a multi-use path not a training circuit...
lexi123 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
GW hasn't been 5 star for several years. I don't believe they claim to be.
It's disappointing but illustrative that any WA property would not be considered or strive to be 5 stars. Being 5 stars should be a basic standard for the luxury WA brand. Properties like this weaken the brand.
Cardboard55 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
So if they called it the Wailea Hilton you wouldn't complain about it?
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I could agree with that, but I'd consider the service closer to a Doubletree than a "Hilton".
smmrfld likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199 View Post
I could agree with that, but I'd consider the service closer to a Doubletree than a "Hilton".
Yikes.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:07 am

I would...Hilton Wailea sounds better
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:08 am

it would be more honest than the current branding. Even Conrad Wailea might be more honest.
smmrfld likes this.

Search this Thread