Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:45 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Screenshot below from the Nor1 - nor1 email was sent to me 3 days before arrival.

App upgraded me 24 hours before checking in. I asked again for further upgrades at check in because why not

Originally Posted by vnfilm1
@Gertjaars: How far ahead of your check in day to see the complimentary upgrade offer appear on your app. And at check in, do you ask for a complimentary upgrade again or the front desk personnel do it herself/ himself.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Screenshot below from the Nor1 - nor1 email was sent to me 3 days before arrival.

App upgraded me 24 hours before checking in. I asked again for further upgrades at check in because why not

Thanks for sharing. I assume, I would see the NOR1 list of upgrade before my trip.
I just want to make sure I understand correctly. For your case, the app give you a complimentary upgrade (to a garden room) thru NOR1. Then you req another complimentary upgrade (from garden room to deluxe ocean view), per your req at check in .

This my fist time stay at WA in Maui .You said "You will see the construction if you are in a Garden View Room. Always ask for a Higher floor on the left wings." I am not clear, what you mean. The left wings of building ( name?) where garden view room located or you mean the building ( Molokini) where 1 bedroom king Terrance located.

Last edited by vnfilm1; Mar 7, 2022 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:24 pm

Does anyone have any idea when the construction in the main area will be complete?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by spier072
Does anyone have any idea when the construction in the main area will be complete?
Immediately after your stay
Beachchaser likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:16 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Front Desk told me it could continue through July 2022. They're doing a ton of work.
Originally Posted by spier072
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:25 am

Redemption rates went up overnight

The resort went from 95,000 points to 110,000 points for standard redemptions overnight. Unless I missed something, I had no idea this change was coming. 95,000 points a night was not really worth it, at 110,000 I likely will not be back and will just stay at the Hyatt.
kthpence likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by brodielayne
The resort went from 95,000 points to 110,000 points for standard redemptions overnight. Unless I missed something, I had no idea this change was coming. 95,000 points a night was not really worth it, at 110,000 I likely will not be back and will just stay at the Hyatt.
while price increases are frustrating its within line with the andaz down the street going from a category 7 to category 8 and now costing 35k to 45k points, the grand wailea will cost about $300 more for a 5 night stay points wise when you value at 0.5 cpp
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Yes, something is up. Over on the Conrad-Maldives thread, we're seeing jumps from 95K to 120K for standard redepmtions.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
while price increases are frustrating its within line with the andaz down the street going from a category 7 to category 8 and now costing 35k to 45k points, the grand wailea will cost about $300 more for a 5 night stay points wise when you value at 0.5 cpp
The Marriott will be going up by up to 30k points too. Of course, these are all still good redemptions compared to cash rates.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Not a fair compare as the GW is old and tired.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Not a fair compare as the GW is old and tired.
Exactly. If I had a wealth of both Hilton and Hyatt points (I have the former, not the latter bc of 5/24), I'd never use my points at the GW, unless perhaps I was going to Maui with children (I don't have children). I'd much rather save my points and use them at WA Pedregal, Beverly Hills, Amsterdam, Maldives, etc. before the GW. If paying cash, always look to the Andaz or Hotel Wailea before GW.

Honestly can't believe they are now going to be charging more points for base rooms - this property doesn't really know how to do anything right IMO.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by kthpence
Honestly can't believe they are now going to be charging more points for base rooms
Why? There isn't a single night on the calendar with cash rates less than $1k.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
And if you use FNC's, as many do, it doesn't matter whether it's 95 or 110 as long as it's designated as "standard" rewards.

You also have to do your homework to see if you are a good fit for a property, I've made mistakes where I went for max value and it was just not our style at all.

The GW is our style, especially since we have grandkids now who are the perfect age. I can see why a young couple with no kids would hate the mania. But do your homework to see what's a good match for you. Sometimes it will be the 50K property, not the 95.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Mar 10, 2022 at 3:04 pm
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
And if you use FNC's, as many do, it doesn't matter whether it's 95 or 110 as long as it's designated as "standard" rewards.
Using 2 fnc and 440k points a week long stay will cost 60k more points when utilizing 5th night free, while inconvenient it will not deter my return to maui.

Last edited by Beachchaser; Mar 10, 2022 at 4:01 pm
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Why? There isn't a single night on the calendar with cash rates less than $1k.
I'm basing this on the fact that not only has this property gone massively downhill since the late 90s, but it has deteriorated even more so since the pandemic hit. Raised their valet prices when they weren't even valeting the cars (this was truly insane to me back in Dec of 2020), limited to no food outlets (of which are terrible), horrible service, terrible/dated rooms, outdated spa ... I mean honestly, the list goes on.

My point was thee fold (which I think I stated pretty clearly above):
  • If you have Hilton points to burn, I still wouldn't burn them here as this property is not worth what they have now raised their points prices to (I guess now though you are getting more for your FNA certs than before which is a positive? But I'd also rather use those elsewhere)
  • If you are paying cash, I couldn't think of a worse way to waste money than spending it here
  • They are raising their redemption rates despite everything going downhill drastically since covid
Again, as someone mentioned above, this isn't the right property for everyone, certainly not the right one for me, but I feel like those who have never been to Wailea and are traveling hours and hours to get to a very expensive vacation destination should be well warned that they are potentially going to be ripped off at this hotel. Personally, I would never fly 5+ hours (or 8+ for our East Coast friends) just to sit by a disney style pool complex that doesn't even have ocean views from the adult pool...let alone pay over $1,000/night or 110k points per night for it. Just not my cup of tea.
brodielayne likes this.

Last edited by kthpence; Mar 10, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.