Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
Many of my best memories at GW were walking back at night along that trail, after having parked on the street by the Fairmont. That trail was so beautiful - oh, the stars! It was probably 20 minutes from dropping P2 and the kids until I was back at the room. It was slightly stressful the first or second night, not knowing exactly where I was going (also, phone was out of batteries) - after that it was fine for P2 and relaxing for me. (That said, please be aware that in the night, that trail is super dark - I'm coming from a city where strolling down dark, deserted places is not something you do. I felt fine, but maybe others would not.)

For me, spending $65 per day to park the car (plus tips) would have imposed costs beyond the financial. I would have been pissed every time I handed over the keys. I think we would have gone without a rental car rather than paying that fee - and that would have reduced our enjoyment of the island. Put another way, assuming a non-infinite budget, consider where would spending $65 make you happier: parking, or 11 shave ices at Ululani? And then think about the length of the trip... We were there 5 nights, it would have been $390. Yes, it's easier to drop the car, but we would have mentally substituted out other things that we will remember much longer and more pleasurably than handing over the keys to the valet guys.

I enjoy vacations a lot more when it doesn't feel like we're wasting money.
That path really, really can be super dark. We walked it once at night home from dinner at the FS and literally could not see a thing, kept crashing into the bushes along the side. I think a small portable flashlight (which I have now) would be a great addition.

Our budget is not "infinite", but it certainly is healthy and we are very blessed that we don't have to make choices, but a lot has to do with mindset, too. I never get pissed handing over my keys to the valet. I just think about how many more Hilton points I'm racking up for my next trip.

But I really do see both sides.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:10 pm

I liked that ground floor lagoon wing option so much we chose that instead of an ocean view or deluxe ocean view upgrade. Be there Saturday.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That path really, really can be super dark. We walked it once at night home from dinner at the FS and literally could not see a thing, kept crashing into the bushes along the side. I think a small portable flashlight (which I have now) would be a great addition.

Our budget is not "infinite", but it certainly is healthy and we are very blessed that we don't have to make choices, but a lot has to do with mindset, too. I never get pissed handing over my keys to the valet. I just think about how many more Hilton points I'm racking up for my next trip.

But I really do see both sides.
Yes, I would reemphasize the darkness of the trail to anyone considering this. The reason is that lights are not present along that coast is to prevent harm to sea turtles - which you will likely see, if you're walking back in daylight hours and you have good eyes. I found myself only rarely in nature while on Maui. Maybe that's one of the reasons I so appreciated that nightly walk. Wailea is a more subdued type of luxury in the dark among the bright stars. Even if you do valet parking, do yourself a favor and go for a night stroll!

That said, I admit: I'm probably not a very good fit at GW - not economically-speaking, and not in my tastes. I enjoyed the pools, the beach, the location - but I'm more a fan of Kauai and the Big Island.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Everyone needs to be present for getting their wrist bands.
Confirmed.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:55 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Confirmed.
Yes, but if you don’t have one on, with a key card and name they will simply give you one at a towel kiosk.
atojbk likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:32 pm

Is the main entrance still blocked and everyone using the south entrance? Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Jailer
Yes, but if you don’t have one on, with a key card and name they will simply give you one at a towel kiosk.
Actually, they ask for name and room number. Have never used a room key/card.

The point of the original question was, for example, could you go to the towel desk and get the wrist bands for others in your room without those people being present. The answer is no. If you want a wrist band, you must show up in person. The serial number on the wrist band is tied to you for that day.
Beachchaser likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by airsniper
Is the main entrance still blocked and everyone using the south entrance? Thanks!
main entrance open

Actually, they ask for name and room number. Have never used a room key/card.

The point of the original question was, for example, could you go to the towel desk and get the wrist bands for others in your room without those people being present. The answer is no. If you want a wrist band, you must show up in person. The serial number on the wrist band is tied to you for that day.
correct. They did mention you can always get another one if you need to remove, eg pictures, wedding etc
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
main entrance open

correct. They did mention you can always get another one if you need to remove, eg pictures, wedding etc
Yes, our grandson did not realize he had to keep it for the duration, so took it off at the end of the day, and got another one the next day no problem.

So excited the main entrance is open again!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:43 pm

Yes, our grandson did not realize he had to keep it for the duration, so took it off at the end of the day, and got another one the next day no problem.

So excited the main entrance is open again!
The main entrance has been open throughout construction...it just the checkin, concierge and other services were moved to the ballroom entrance. Not sure this means those functions are back at the main entrance or not.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:22 pm

The main entrance has been open throughout construction...it just the checkin, concierge and other services were moved to the ballroom entrance. Not sure this means those functions are back at the main entrance or not.
How funny is that. We were at the Ho'olei condos in October, and came down from them, straaaaight across the light to "valet". It was the south entrance. Had no idea we could have gone to the main entrance, also. Have to admit it was a pain meandering south around Humu to get to the pool, instead of just driving to the main valet and going right past the lobby. Boy were we dumb.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:25 pm

We’re doing sunset cruise this evening, pickup is at south entrance. Fingers crossed can find it!
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:47 pm

How funny is that. We were at the Ho'olei condos in October, and came down from them, straaaaight across the light to "valet". It was the south entrance. Had no idea we could have gone to the main entrance, also. Have to admit it was a pain meandering south around Humu to get to the pool, instead of just driving to the main valet and going right past the lobby. Boy were we dumb.
We were at GW in October as well. The only area in the main entrance actually closed was the center atrium around Botero Bar...a wide circle around the bar, as remodeling the bar and the area above the breakfast buffet restaurant is one of the main projects. We walked back and forth across the entrance area several times a day, and up the path over to Wailea shops. You could only drive to the front entrance if you went past construction barricades, like the workers and hotel staff did every day.

Having the concierge desks and front checkin area in service would have been noisy and dusty. Heck, the noise at the Adult pool was pretty loud at times from the construction.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:05 pm

We were at GW in October as well. The only area in the main entrance actually closed was the center atrium around Botero Bar...a wide circle around the bar, as remodeling the bar and the area above the breakfast buffet restaurant is one of the main projects. We walked back and forth across the entrance area several times a day, and up the path over to Wailea shops. You could only drive to the front entrance if you went past construction barricades, like the workers and hotel staff did every day.

Having the concierge desks and front checkin area in service would have been noisy and dusty. Heck, the noise at the Adult pool was pretty loud at times from the construction.
Actually, now that I recall, the boys and girls split up one time (walking) to see who got home (to Ho'O) first...they went around south by Humu and we went past the Bistro Molokini which would have been a straight shot before...we ended up lost around the spa area, it was a mess.

I just hope by August when we return everything is wide open again.

Oh, and even with all that we ended up home first because the boys stopped by Kula for some snacks, so not a fair test. God forbid they could go 10 minutes without eating something.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:02 pm

Only the central lobby area is closed anymore. Mainly aesthetic & F&B issues remain. Aloha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.