Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Feb 10, 19, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
but Iíll keep returning until we get bored of the pool and water elevator.
My wife and I took the water elevator and declared it a "once in a lifetime" experience. Because we couldn't imagine why we'd want to do it again. Nobody else has ever built one, so we may not be in the minority.

The pool is pleasant enough (a bit odd, but pleasant). I honestly think those under 10 would enjoy it the most, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
For $600 I'll continue to wrap myself up in towels like a mummy. Ridiculous price. And so many of them sat empty. Did they ever think to lower the price and they'd all be full?
Yes, the prices of those cabanas boggle my mind, but lots of people pay it at the Grand Wailea! I'm kind of shocked, as I've been in many other 4 and 5 star resorts where they have canbanas and people won't rent them for 50 bucks!
Old Feb 11, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: UA MP HH
For $600 I'll continue to wrap myself up in towels like a mummy. Ridiculous price. And so many of them sat empty. Did they ever think to lower the price and they'd all be full?
The ones with the TVs are the family cabanas, seat about 8, and you get a ton more stuff than the smaller cabanas. If you watch the stuff they do and bring for the family cabanas, I think you might have a different opinion.
Old Feb 11, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
The ones with the TVs are the family cabanas, seat about 8, and you get a ton more stuff than the smaller cabanas. If you watch the stuff they do and bring for the family cabanas, I think you might have a different opinion.
I'll ask next time about the various costs - last time we specifically asked about the TV because there was some big sporting event going on my husband wanted to see (can't remember what it was). Hey, with the Aspire $250 credit it makes it a bargain $350, right?
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:08 am

We inquired about the cabanas and when told it was $600 I laughed in the guy's face. I'm not sure what Id pay for it but it sure as hell isn't $600
Old Feb 11, 19, 6:19 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I'll ask next time about the various costs - last time we specifically asked about the TV because there was some big sporting event going on my husband wanted to see (can't remember what it was). Hey, with the Aspire $250 credit it makes it a bargain $350, right?
Haha. Of course, you should probably figure the card annual fee in your calculations.
Old Feb 11, 19, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post

Haha. Of course, you should probably figure the card annual fee in your calculations.
But of course! As well as the free night, the airline credit, the extra points...
Old Feb 13, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (airline status-free leisure traveler), HH Diamond
I agree that the water elevator is once in a lifetime experience to simply say that you did it.

It is not very exciting. Moves slow. Long lines to take your turn. Etc.
Old Feb 16, 19, 11:03 am

Basic Question From A Newb

Hello Flyertalk!

Long time lurker, first time poster hoping all of you knowledgeable people can give me some advice on the check in particulars at GW.

My husband and I will be there first week in April (terrace view king) and are Hilton Gold, and hoping for a room upgrade. We land at OGG at 10:00 am, well before check-in time, and are wondering about the merits of checking in online vs doing it in person.

Are you more likely to get a room upgrade if you check-in in person?

Weíre debating between picking up the rental car, grabbing lunch, and then just heading down to Wailea and checking in as soon as we can vs. checking in online and taking the rest of the day to explore West Maui, probably not getting to the hotel until 2-4 hours after check-in time (which I believe is 4:00).

Any advice you have on best way to check-in to get the best room is appreciated!
Old Feb 16, 19, 11:37 am

Check your reservation a couple of days out. We were PRE-upgraded from the lowest terrace room (on points) to Garden/POV a few days before.
Old Feb 16, 19, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by alonft View Post
Hello Flyertalk!

Long time lurker, first time poster hoping all of you knowledgeable people can give me some advice on the check in particulars at GW.

My husband and I will be there first week in April (terrace view king) and are Hilton Gold, and hoping for a room upgrade. We land at OGG at 10:00 am, well before check-in time, and are wondering about the merits of checking in online vs doing it in person.

Weíre debating between picking up the rental car, grabbing lunch, and then just heading down to Wailea and checking in as soon as we can vs. checking in online and taking the rest of the day to explore West Maui, probably not getting to the hotel until 2-4 hours after check-in time (which I believe is 4:00).

Any advice you have on best way to check-in to get the best room is appreciated!
If it were me (and this is what we usually do) I would pick up the rental car and head up to Mama's Fish House for lunch. It is a great restaurant on the water that is far from where you are staying. By the time you have picked up rental car, gone there, eaten, and headed to GW it should be around 1:30 or 2.
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by alonft View Post
Hello Flyertalk!

Best upgrades are preassigned and basically it will let you check-in to the upgraded room. I think it has to do with what gets oversold. Don't book too last minute otherwise no upgrades at all even as diamond paying $. Also shorter stays get upgraded quite frequently. I once extended a stay at rack rate and no upgrade was given. I dont think FDC has any capacity of upgrading due to the no. of diamonds and GW members who frequent.

We just checked in here last night for 5 days on points and got upgraded from king terrace to deluxe ocean front two queen when we noticed 5-6 days ago. We booked 3 weeks ago.. Last time same thing king to 2 queen napua when we just had a 1 night stay. Prior to that booked 1 week before trip and had a parking lot facing room and I was lucky I gave them another chance.

If landing at 10, get lunch on the way. Room wont be ready. There are a ton of good places as others have said.

Also, we find that the breakfast isn't a bad option. Since kids eat free, unless getting a buffet, we could eat at sub-$20 each day pre-tip after the $30 credit. Confirmed with front desk that starting Jan 1, credit is per day and applied at the grand buffet.

Last edited by sahiljain22; Feb 16, 19 at 5:32 pm
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:36 pm

Getting upgraded

Iím checking in for a 7 night stay, combining two weekend night Certs and five nights on points. Should I try to email ahead of time to see about an upgrade (Diamond) or just wait till we get there? If I do email, who do I email? Should I mention I need these reservations linked (already mentioned to a CSR). Also my two night reservation has 2 adults, my 5 night reservation has 1 adult, and itís actually 2 adults, 2 kids. Do I need to correct that ahead of time or can I do that at check in? Thereís no extra fees for kids are there? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:37 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
I would reach out to the front desk and let them know to tie those reservations together. Are you booked in the terrace king with sofa bed or 2 queens? Let them know so they don’t make a change from 2 Queen to 1 king if you only have 2 listed. We have combined cash, points and cents before and always talk to the front desk ahead of time. It is better to get one special notes made at the front desk.
Old Mar 3, 19, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ladybugmama View Post
Iím checking in for a 7 night stay, combining two weekend night Certs and five nights on points. Should I try to email ahead of time to see about an upgrade (Diamond) or just wait till we get there? If I do email, who do I email? Should I mention I need these reservations linked (already mentioned to a CSR). Also my two night reservation has 2 adults, my 5 night reservation has 1 adult, and itís actually 2 adults, 2 kids. Do I need to correct that ahead of time or can I do that at check in? Thereís no extra fees for kids are there? Thanks!
I would definitely contact the hotel -- and make sure they respond! It took me 2 emails. Just don't expect too much from them. I don't think this hotel particularly cares if you're a Diamond. They didn't really care that I was.
Old Mar 3, 19, 11:46 am

I would not show up with 4 people when my reservation said 1 (or 2). What if all they have is one King bed? Cozy vacation?

Search this Thread