Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Can you charge Aloha Trick Pony to room as well?

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Cash or points? If cash, resort credit will take off $250 of that (if you're talking about the Aspire resort credit)... If points...breakfast, lunch, drinks, spa, parking....anything you charge to your room. When we were there recently Humu was serving breakfast and they only took reservations for dinner). You can also get breakfast sandwiches, etc. at Cafe Kula, again, just charge to your room.

Another idea for dinner would be to order room service - you could certainly eat up a chunk of credit that way.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by rdchen
Is that the Taco Truck? I honestly don't know, we TOLD our kids to charge EVERYTHING to the room, but my (very nice) son-in-law I think paid for that one out of his own pocket so I'm not sure. My guess would be YES because no one brings money to the pool/beach.

The pork tacos were delicious with their mango salsa.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Thanks, yes that's the food truck.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Is that the Taco Truck? I honestly don't know, we TOLD our kids to charge EVERYTHING to the room, but my (very nice) son-in-law I think paid for that one out of his own pocket so I'm not sure. My guess would be YES because no one brings money to the pool/beach.

The pork tacos were delicious with their mango salsa.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:05 pm

As of 6 weeks ago I charged aloha trick pony and cafe kula to the room.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
As of 6 weeks ago I charged aloha trick pony and cafe kula to the room.
There is no doubt Cafe Kula can be charged to the room. It's one of the approved sites for F&B credit. Main place to currently eat breakfast.

Don't know about the taco truck.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:15 am

Programs: All
Yes - you can charge anything purchased from the Taco Truck to your room.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:15 am

Some questions for folks who have gone recently:

1) If you're Diamond, I am seeing conflicting reports that they are tracking the $50/day for the food/bev credit (2 people), versus a lump sum off at checkout, any recent DPs?
2) What has the auto-upgrade process been like? We're in a regular King room in the Molokini wing, which I understand is the lowest category of room in the worst wing. We're Diamond and are there for 8 nights so I'm hoping for the Napua tower, but they already denied that via email.
3) There is still no airport shuttle, correct? We have a toddler so thinking a traditional taxi is best over Uber/Lyft as they may have more trunk space for the stroller.
4) What is the shuttle into the rest of Wailea like? There is very little info and no schedule on the website.
5) It sounds like construction has finished in the lobby?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by bobdillingerz

1) If you're Diamond, I am seeing conflicting reports that they are tracking the $50/day for the food/bev credit (2 people), versus a lump sum off at checkout, any recent DPs?
2) What has the auto-upgrade process been like? We're in a regular King room in the Molokini wing, which I understand is the lowest category of room in the worst wing. We're Diamond and are there for 8 nights so I'm hoping for the Napua tower, but they already denied that via email.
3) There is still no airport shuttle, correct? We have a toddler so thinking a traditional taxi is best over Uber/Lyft as they may have more trunk space for the stroller.
4) What is the shuttle into the rest of Wailea like? There is very little info and no schedule on the website.
Just came back from our trip 11/13-11/20, so I'll gladly provide some DP's below:

1) I asked the same thing at the desk and they indicated it would post all at the end of my reservation. Can confirm it posted as a lump sum on my bill, despite only using part of it some days. Only complication was due to a mix of award and paid nights, as I had 6 free night certificates (which could not be all in one reservation-- 4 together, then 2) and 1 paid night that broke down into 3 linked reservations. The credit had to be used by the end of each reservation, so $50 for the 1-night, $200 for the 2nd (4 night) stay and then $100 for the 2 night stay.
2) The auto-upgrade process was implemented part-way through my stay, but we were upgraded to Deluxe Oceanview in the Chapel Wing. It was stunning. If you're going during a peak time, forget an upgrade. Napua Tower is currently closed and not bookable through at least June 2022, if I heard correctly. That would explain why.
3) No airport shuttle. We had a rental car, which we used all week long and was well worth it.
4) No shuttle was running into Wailea during our stay. Highly recommend rental car.
5) Construction is not finished. The Botero Lounge has been gutted and that whole area is surrounded by temporary construction walls. You can still access the lobby, but can't cross in certain areas. You will be able to check-in there though.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Jewelgirl04
Just came back from our trip 11/13-11/20, so I'll gladly provide some DP's below:

1) I asked the same thing at the desk and they indicated it would post all at the end of my reservation. Can confirm it posted as a lump sum on my bill, despite only using part of it some days. Only complication was due to a mix of award and paid nights, as I had 6 free night certificates (which could not be all in one reservation-- 4 together, then 2) and 1 paid night that broke down into 3 linked reservations. The credit had to be used by the end of each reservation, so $50 for the 1-night, $200 for the 2nd (4 night) stay and then $100 for the 2 night stay.
2) The auto-upgrade process was implemented part-way through my stay, but we were upgraded to Deluxe Oceanview in the Chapel Wing. It was stunning. If you're going during a peak time, forget an upgrade. Napua Tower is currently closed and not bookable through at least June 2022, if I heard correctly. That would explain why.
3) No airport shuttle. We had a rental car, which we used all week long and was well worth it.
4) No shuttle was running into Wailea during our stay. Highly recommend rental car.
5) Construction is not finished. The Botero Lounge has been gutted and that whole area is surrounded by temporary construction walls. You can still access the lobby, but can't cross in certain areas. You will be able to check-in there though.
Thank you so much for these, very helpful.

They did offer me a paid upgrade into the Napua Tower, but for an extra $900/night. So at least part of it is available. Our stay is indeed over Christmas, but figured that between 8 nights and Diamond our position in their auto-upgrade algorithm might be favorable. Not sure though.

How did you get an upgrade partway through? Did you physically check in at the desk when you arrived at the hotel and make the request? Typically we do digital key and bypass the front desk but it seems like it might be worthwhile here.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:18 am

Upgrade to the Napua Tower for a Diamond is a very rare thing, and is technically forbidden by the T&Cs.
kirkwoodj and Beachchaser like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:25 am

Gotcha, thanks. Have seen previous DPs of this happening but they were in low season. What's the next tier down? The bottom tiers of the Molokini look small and a bit far from everything.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience throughout the Hilton world of domestic, international and resorts, long stays you are less likely to get an upgrade and short stays more likely. An upgrade for a long stay they are losing possible revenue for a longer time so they are more hesitant to upgrade you. A short stay, 1-4 nights you have a better chance. My best upgrades anywhere have come on one night stays and for anything 5 days or longer it was a very rare beast to get an upgrade and if did it was only a 1 level up. Sometimes it was same room but to an executive level room. For full disclosure am a lifetime Diamond.
worldiswide likes this.

Last edited by Baze; Dec 3, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:44 pm

Thank you so much for these, very helpful.

They did offer me a paid upgrade into the Napua Tower, but for an extra $900/night. So at least part of it is available. Our stay is indeed over Christmas, but figured that between 8 nights and Diamond our position in their auto-upgrade algorithm might be favorable. Not sure though.

How did you get an upgrade partway through? Did you physically check in at the desk when you arrived at the hotel and make the request? Typically we do digital key and bypass the front desk but it seems like it might be worthwhile here.
As mentioned earlier, the T&C do not permit upgrades to Napua Tower, I had forgotten about that. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want a better room, you should pay for the upgrade. The hotel will be fully booked during Christmas-- I have been during Spring Break and it's equally improbable to get an upgrade.

I should clarify, the automatic upgrade system didn't start until two days into our stay. We were upgraded to the Deluxe OV in the Chapel Wing upon check-in at the front desk. If you aren't notified of an upgrade, I would try checking in at the front desk when you arrive. It's worth seeing if maybe they'll upgrade you, even if it's unlikely. Can't hurt.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
so inquiring minds want to know, how much is the cabana charge?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide
so inquiring minds want to know, how much is the cabana charge?
You can see the rates on their website. They have seasonal rates, and rates related to prime locations versus less desirable locations...last I looked, anywhere from $400 to $1200.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.