Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:58 pm

Just completed my stay here, $50 daily food and beverage credit is indeed daily now. I was informed by check-in agent that it will be a lumpsum $100 credit which was not true. I was planning to use all in one day for dinner, so missed $50 credit the first day, but the manager on property was nice enough to correct it for me. The main check-in area is closed and under construction, also parking is still valet only $65.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Good thing you didn't ask the cabana prices. You would have been carted away on a gurney.
if only my 401k withdrawal didn't take 3 business days I could have rented a cabana for a few days.
dlaue and BlueZebra like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Can you elaborate on the $50 credit? I must being missing a post. Is that for Diamonds or was that a special rate? We're staying here over Thanksgiving and the hotel hasn't been very communicative via email or even phone.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jepiv
Can you elaborate on the $50 credit? I must being missing a post. Is that for Diamonds or was that a special rate? We're staying here over Thanksgiving and the hotel hasn't been very communicative via email or even phone.
food credit if $25 per adult up to $50 total is the breakfast benefit replacement at high end Hiltons for Diamond members
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
food credit if $25 per adult up to $50 total is the breakfast benefit replacement at high end Hilton’s for Diamond members
And Gold too I'm pretty sure. They just took $250 off our 5 night stay, no one cared what meal it was for. And I also got my ($250) Amex Surpass resort credit in a just a few days.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ABfly
Just completed my stay here, $50 daily food and beverage credit is indeed daily now. I was informed by check-in agent that it will be a lumpsum $100 credit which was not true. I was planning to use all in one day for dinner, so missed $50 credit the first day, but the manager on property was nice enough to correct it for me. The main check-in area is closed and under construction, also parking is still valet only $65.
Thanks for confirming the credit is now credited per day. I was told the lobby/bar construction would be done around 11/15, so Im hoping thats the case as we are arriving 11/13. If theyre just making finishing touches on the bar, maybe theyll have reopened the lobby by the time we get there.

How were the crowds/pool?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, HH:Diamond, Hertz:PC
I was looking at booking a few nights at the HW in May 2022. I'm seeing crazy rates, $1100/night or 440k points. Seems step, unless people think it is worth it. None of the other Hilton properties in Hawaii are no where near that. Waikoloa is showing $700 per night, but only 60k points, a much better deal. We have stayed at Waikoloa a few times, but was hoping to try some place new. Any suggestions? I have close to 2 million Hilton point, rather not drop them all at one place...
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Betel
I was looking at booking a few nights at the HW in May 2022. I'm seeing crazy rates, $1100/night or 440k points. Seems step, unless people think it is worth it. None of the other Hilton properties in Hawaii are no where near that. Waikoloa is showing $700 per night, but only 60k points, a much better deal. We have stayed at Waikoloa a few times, but was hoping to try some place new. Any suggestions? I have close to 2 million Hilton point, rather not drop them all at one place...
Do you mean the GW (Grand Wailea) or the Ho'olei? We had 6 people so the condos at Ho'Olei worked out much better (still outrageous). We already booked for next year the kids liked it so much (so did we). We'll be paying since we did blow all our points this year (and I thought it was well worth it). I also shopped around at other condos and the prices for the same amount of space (3,000 sf, 3BR) was often similar or more, and without the "epic" (grandkids' declaration) pools.

If you search and are flexible you can find the GW for 95K. If you consider the H'O has 3 bedrooms, 300,000 pts is actually reasonable since you get all the extra living space, too.

One caveat about booking the H'O on points - you do NOT get the 5th night free. But you do get free parking, and no resort fee.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, HH:Diamond, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Do you mean the GW (Grand Wailea) or the Ho'olei? We had 6 people so the condos at Ho'Olei worked out much better (still outrageous). We already booked for next year the kids liked it so much (so did we). We'll be paying since we did blow all our points this year (and I thought it was well worth it). I also shopped around at other condos and the prices for the same amount of space (3,000 sf, 3BR) was often similar or more, and without the "epic" (grandkids' declaration) pools.

If you search and are flexible you can find the GW for 95K. If you consider the H'O has 3 bedrooms, 300,000 pts is actually reasonable since you get all the extra living space, too.

One caveat about booking the H'O on points - you do NOT get the 5th night free. But you do get free parking, and no resort fee.
I'm looking at the GW (Grand Wailea), since it is just the wife and I. I was doing some searching for the 95k you mentioned, but can't find anything, I'm also not seeing anything about the 5th night free there either.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Betel
I'm looking at the GW (Grand Wailea), since it is just the wife and I. I was doing some searching for the 95k you mentioned, but can't find anything, I'm also not seeing anything about the 5th night free there either.
That's a given since it's a hotel. The H'O is considered a timeshare/hgvc so that's why it isn't. I was just confused by your "HW", just a typo but I wanted to be sure.

I see smatterings of 95Ks in April and May, but next Sept. and Oct. have tons of availability, unfortunately that has to be when you want to go, but it's there.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
EStandby upgrade

Im new to Hilton, currently a Diamond, and have a 7 night stay over Christmas upcoming on points & certs. I signed up for estandby upgrades at the time of booking for $81 per night to upgrade to. Deluxe ocean view room. For those that know the property & estandby upgrades better than me would you keep this or save the $ and roll the dice on an upgrade getting me the same room for free? Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unrdchi
Im new to Hilton, currently a Diamond, and have a 7 night stay over Christmas upcoming on points & certs. I signed up for estandby upgrades at the time of booking for $81 per night to upgrade to. Deluxe ocean view room. For those that know the property & estandby upgrades better than me would you keep this or save the $ and roll the dice on an upgrade getting me the same room for free? Thanks!
Over Christmas will be one of the busiest times of the year, especially with the opening up of international arrivals coming. There is a chance you won't even get the estandby upgraded room. With these kinds of resorts book minimum of what you will be happy with and if get an estandby or free upgrade it is a bonus. Status doesn't help much at these resorts.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by unrdchi
I’m new to Hilton, currently a Diamond, and have a 7 night stay over Christmas upcoming on points & certs. I signed up for estandby upgrades at the time of booking for $81 per night to upgrade to. Deluxe ocean view room. For those that know the property & estandby upgrades better than me would you keep this or save the $ and roll the dice on an upgrade getting me the same room for free? Thanks!
Agree with Baze. Christmas is crazy. I used to think if I didn't have an OV in Hawaii all was lost, but we recently stayed in their condos with a "garden view" that we found totally great. Not one sliver of blue ocean. And we were fine.

I would thank my lucky stars if I were you that you were able to book at reasonable points....over Christmas...not sure if they were all 95k but your certificates would have been. You did good. If you get an upgrade (and when we stayed at the GW side several years ago we were thrilled with our points stay upgrade from "terrace" to "garden". Honestly, you will spend little time in your room, and if you're missing a sunset since you *might* be facing the wrong way, just go down to the beach and enjoy
Baze and kirkwoodj like this.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Nov 9, 2021 at 6:04 pm
Old Nov 14, 2021, 4:51 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Using resort credit at Grand Wailea?

After lots of calls and emails have booked a 1 night stay on Nov. 27th. Wondering about the resort credit? All dining is booked up until Dec 5th. Other ideas? Mahalo
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by shanna135
After lots of calls and emails have booked a 1 night stay on Nov. 27th. Wondering about the resort credit? All dining is booked up until Dec 5th. Other ideas? Mahalo
Cash or points? If cash, resort credit will take off $250 of that (if you're talking about the Aspire resort credit)... If points...breakfast, lunch, drinks, spa, parking....anything you charge to your room. When we were there recently Humu was serving breakfast and they only took reservations for dinner). You can also get breakfast sandwiches, etc. at Cafe Kula, again, just charge to your room.

Another idea for dinner would be to order room service - you could certainly eat up a chunk of credit that way.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Nov 14, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.