Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
if your kids will like a couple of short-ish hikes to some waterfalls along the way, then you should do a day trip to Hana with them. It's a no-brainer if it was just a couple's trip.
A quick jaunt to a cruise out to Molokini (using your car to go to and from the docks), maybe a SINGLE night out to eat driving elsewhere, and your round trip to and from OGG, it seems by my math you'd EASILY break even, at worst, having a car or not having one. In that case, or if it was even close, I'd get the car, but that's just me.
Thanks for much for helping me think this through. My question initially was: how would time ideally be split between the GW property (and the areas right around it) and the rest of Maui. I think the answer for us will be: mostly on GW, but with a day or two to explore the island. I've found that when I don't have a car, it forces me to walk, and I see places differently. And it doesn't seem too hard to walk around GW. (For instance, I've heard good things about Monkeypod, it looks walkable - please tell me if that's wrong. I think there's also a NY style pizzeria that delivers.)

The answer for us, I think, will be to have a car for the last few nights, after we've nearly had our fill of GW - and if timing works out, I won't need a taxi to return to OGG.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
Thanks for much for helping me think this through. My question initially was: how would time ideally be split between the GW property (and the areas right around it) and the rest of Maui. I think the answer for us will be: mostly on GW, but with a day or two to explore the island. I've found that when I don't have a car, it forces me to walk, and I see places differently. And it doesn't seem too hard to walk around GW. (For instance, I've heard good things about Monkeypod, it looks walkable - please tell me if that's wrong. I think there's also a NY style pizzeria that delivers.)

The answer for us, I think, will be to have a car for the last few nights, after we've nearly had our fill of GW - and if timing works out, I won't need a taxi to return to OGG.
That's a good plan but check to see if there's a hefty drop off fee from renting at GW and dropping at OGG.

And I think Monkeypod is a pretty far walk uphill. The Shops at Wailea is closer and has some restaurants (not sure what's open these days). Plus you can walk along the beach path to other resorts, too, if you like the looks of their restaurants better than the GW.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
The main principle is true - but the application doesn't necessarily follow, not for us. Beyond the per day cash cost of renting a car ($48 parking + $65 rental cost + gas), there are other costs. If we just hang out at the hotel one day, that's $115 "wasted" per day - having the car would push us to get out and do stuff, but would cause us stress if we just hung out. It's not that we couldn't afford it, but it's above some imaginary threshold and would seem wasteful. The parking almost doubles the cost of a car rental.

Probably most of the people at GW would just shake their heads and pay the money. But we'll be there on FNCs and points (since we were already going to Hawaii, the marginal cost of including Maui was 15K Southwest points + some FNCs and 95K for one night). In our situation, including a rental car almost double the base cost / pre-food+fun cost of the trip to Maui (out-of-pocket $20 + acquisition costs for points $510) (car cost: $570 + gas - cost of car to and from OGG would be ~$100). I don't want to be a cheapskate when we're there, but I also don't want to spend unwisely - that would impact our enjoyment of the trip, and might cause us to not spend on some other item (snorkeling trip? deep sea fishing? kayaking? helicopter?) that we'd enjoy and remember for a long time.

As I see it, I agree that a person shouldn't nickel and dime on that kind of vacation, but you still want to spend wisely. An unwise expense can make couples start to bicker, and then to be cheap in other areas. By contrast, if you get the main stuff right, you'll feel like you have more discretionary cash to spend on things worth the expense.

[Edit: sorry, $65 / day valet, $45 self-parking. So having a car would cost $600 for 5 days]
There's being frugal and then there's being cheap. Having erred on the latter side too many times while points chasing, I think that at some point you have to put aside the calculations and live the vacation. I believe what some of the other posters have mentioned are the "living" part.

The GW is a wonderful property that lives up to the "grand" in the grand Hawaiian style resort. It has imo, the best pool and beach combo for children on the island. Rooms are a decent size (though dated), and grounds are expansive, clean, and safe. It can be pretty lively when packed (as you can tell from the issues with scaling back up). You could absolutely stay on property (if you can bear the expense, everything is expensive) and have a wonderful time. But if you're solely running the numbers, you could also do so in a lot other cheaper destinations that aren't Maui.

There are many other unique Maui activities that can help give you a memorable vacation (e.g. road to Hana, sunrise/sunset on Haleakala, plate lunches and local beaches, waterfalls and hikes). Those require a car.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:44 am

Monkeypod is definitely walkable - it's maybe a 15 min walk up a hill (that has a walking path and is not particularly steep) and well worth the walk / incline for the amount of mai tais and beers you may consume. I couldn't imagine driving there from any resort in Wailea, except perhaps the Fairmont or Hotel Wailea.

And, to your question above, you need a car on Maui. I couldn't imagine not having one. Some days we never touch it in valet and just hang at the resort, but even factoring in the cost of that, the convenience far outweighs that benefit. Further, as it seems like you are quite cost conscious, a car allows you to easily stop at Walmart/Target/Costco and stock up on snacks and drinks before arriving to the hotel. This saves us a lot of money, particularly on the booze front.

Regardless, and I know I'm speaking for myself personally here, but trying to pinch pennies while in Hawaii will ultimately make your trip more stressful. Hawaii, albeit absolutely beautiful, isn't that relaxing (at least not like it used to be), so adding stress on to your vacation worrying about the self-parking cost is honestly not worth it, IMO.

Also, when we were there in Dec 2020, we had to pay for valet, but only self-parking was allowed - is that not the case anymore?
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:35 pm

Counterpoint is that you can get by on ubers depending on what you want to do and how much driving, this is what I did, mainly out of convenience but would also not be surprised if it ended up being cheaper than renting. if UsernameChuck plans to spend a few days staying on the resort, uber seems like a pretty good way to go.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:17 pm

Having just checked out of GW yesterday, I was very happy I got a car, even though I didn't use it much. The Shops at Wailea are fully open, and that is a short 15 minute walk or 2 minute car ride away, but restaurant prices are hardly better than those at GW. Also, GW has literally 2 food options open (Bistro Molokini and Cafe Kula). If you are balking at car parking prices, you will lose your mind on food prices. Also there are really no affordable options in walking distance. You will need a car (and a 20+ minute car ride) to find something that seems affordable/ fast food. Ubers will take 10 minutes to arrive at GW and who knows how long on the return. A round trip anywhere will likely cost as much as one day of rental/parking, not even factoring in the convenience of being able to walk right to your car and go.
ChinaShrek and LovePrunes like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:52 pm

As Diamond, how late can we check out? Also would like to know if there are any restrictions on the $40/day breakfast credit. Can we combine several days worth of credit for a dinner, for instance?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by miss_travel
As Diamond, how late can we check out? Also would like to know if there are any restrictions on the $40/day breakfast credit. Can we combine several days worth of credit for a dinner, for instance?
Was just there until April 8. As I recall the food credit could only be used between 7am and 10am at Cafe Kula or Bistro Molokini.

Don't get me started on late check out...like the time our room wasn't ready until after 5pm, because the occupant in front of us stayed until after 4, then, of course, the room had to be cleaned. Under non-Covid times, GW has one of, if not the highest, average occupancy on Maui.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
When I asked for late checkout at 1pm, they asked "is that all?". So I could have asked for later.

The clerk at Cafe Kula let me use my credit after 11 a.m. for packaged items only, not for freshly made items, and told me that that was a one-time courtesy, and that I should be back before 11 in the future (which I did).
miss_travel likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Mehdron
When I asked for late checkout at 1pm, they asked "is that all?". So I could have asked for later.

The clerk at Cafe Kula let me use my credit after 11 a.m. for packaged items only, not for freshly made items, and told me that that was a one-time courtesy, and that I should be back before 11 in the future (which I did).
Last week I was given a 2pm checkout. Also the breakfast credit has to be used daily. By 11am Cafe Kula (only breakfast items) and 10am at Bistro Molokini.
miss_travel likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:16 pm

When booking with cash, the price is different between 2 adults vs 3 adults. If booking with points, the price is the same (95k) for both cases. Will I be charged additional for the third adults at the hotel if I specify 3 adults in my point reservation? Thanks.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Just realized that some friends of ours (our kids are in school together) will be at the Fairmont while we're at GW - literally the same 5 nights. It'll be great to see them on the beach, for snorkeling, etc. - but would be even greater if they could come over and check out the pools for a day. I'm guessing that GW won't want any non-registered guests in the pools, but I don't want to give up too easily. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the ok to have visitors?
Old May 16, 2021, 7:24 am

Just realized that some friends of ours (our kids are in school together) will be at the Fairmont while we're at GW - literally the same 5 nights. It'll be great to see them on the beach, for snorkeling, etc. - but would be even greater if they could come over and check out the pools for a day. I'm guessing that GW won't want any non-registered guests in the pools, but I don't want to give up too easily. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the ok to have visitors?
They can tour the ground with or without you. But they can't use the pools.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1P
Are the complimentary snorkel class, Hula class, art tour and botanic tour available for guests now? Any other recommendations of activities for kids 6 and 9? Thank you!
Old May 16, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by kgkg
Are the complimentary snorkel class, Hula class, art tour and botanic tour available for guests now? Any other recommendations of activities for kids 6 and 9? Thank you!
The water slides and river will keep your kiddos busy from opening to closing.

The snorkel and scuba classes are available. I don't know about the others.
kgkg likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.