Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa {EGY}

Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Any recent stays at the Hilton Luxor? I have a GLON2 booked right now for 6 nights, although we may stay only five. One of our days will be a full day of Abu Simbel / Aswan and we may do a 2nd full day of sites in the general direction of Aswan. So, probably 3 full days of Luxor proper (including Valley of the Kings, etc.)

We are Gold, booked in a regular room with two twin beds. I assume we will get the buffet breakfast, right? How well does this hotel upgrade Golds? (As of now, it appears to have a wide variety of room type availability throughout our stay.)

I also have a booking at the nearby Starwood. That one costs less in terms of overall point value, but this hotel sounds like a bit better property. For what it's worth, the Hilton was over $300/nt. and the Sheraton is running at about $140/nt.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:54 am

We stayed there last May. Complimentary limo transfer from and to the airport and upon arrival got upgraded to a Nile Suite. Food is excellent at this property. Overall highly recommended.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
I also have a booking at the nearby Starwood. That one costs less in terms of overall point value, but this hotel sounds like a bit better property. For what it's worth, the Hilton was over $300/nt. and the Sheraton is running at about $140/nt.
I stayed at the Sheraton in 2008 and it was dated, old, and tired. There were some renovations underway but what was needed was a wrecking ball.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: Onepass Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Worldperks, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I stayed at the Sheraton in 2008 and it was dated, old, and tired. There were some renovations underway but what was needed was a wrecking ball.

I have stayed at the Sheraton as well. I agree that the rooms were basic, but the views and common areas were great. Also, the property is a steal as a Cat 1 hotel. For points stays, it is a no brainer to pay 2 or 3 thousand points per night versus the 35 thousand hilton wants.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I was at the Luxor Hilton in June (on points) for two nights. I would echo all the positive comments above. I had arranged for them to pick me up at at the airport, but they went above and beyond by sending one of their concierge staff to meet me in the secure area, before I got as far as finding where to purchase my entrance visa! The hotel was quite empty when i was there, but the service was superb all the time - highly recommended!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aldemar
We stayed there last May. Complimentary limo transfer from and to the airport and upon arrival got upgraded to a Nile Suite. Food is excellent at this property. Overall highly recommended.
Was the complimentary transfer something included in your rate? Or related to your HH status?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:20 pm

It was a reward stay as HH D.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:15 am

Good news: the free airport transfers are still done - they are fetching me at LXR on Thursday. (Gold, award stay.) ^
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:18 am

We're back home now - had an excellent stay at the Hilton Luxor. In fact, I'll go so far as to say this is one of the best Hiltons I've ever stayed in anywhere. The setting/location was perfect and the property and service are top-notch.

The only thing I didn't quite get: it seems to me that people haven't discovered this hotel yet. November is peak season for Luxor, yet the hotel seemed mostly empty. By the 2nd or 3rd day of the stay, staff knew our names and room number without asking. We had lunch one day at the more-famous Sofitel and we came away quite happy that we were at the Hilton. Better location, better service, and overall cleaner/fresher look & feel.

The only thing I can think of is that cash rates for the Hilton were pretty high for the market. It's probably hard to convince a non-Hilton frequent guest that this property is worth $300/nt. sight unseen when Luxor is full of $150/nt. hotels. Even a tourist hesitant to book unfamiliar name would probably book the far-cheaper Sheraton instead.

We enjoyed being on the north edge of town - slightly away from the main tourist drag but still walking distance to everything on the east bank. I liked the little street outside the hotel - more locals than tourists and more authentic shops that were pleasant to do business with.

All of the restaurants at the Hilton were quite good and fairly priced. OK, certainly higher priced than a small local restaurant, but surprisingly fair for such a good hotel.

Only oddity: the WiFi at this hotel is insanely priced - 50 pounds for 30 minutes. Fortunately, there is an Internet cafe directly outside the Hilton's front gate for 10 pounds per hour.

When we were picked up at the airport, the concierge indicated that we had a nice upgrade waiting for us. But we needed two double beds so we ended up having to decline our original room assignment. The room we got instead was still wonderful - a big outdoor balcony and a full view of the Nile. The website and this experience seem to confirm that all of the suites here have King sized beds.

Highly recommended to anyone planning a visit to Luxor. I'm convinced it's the best possible option if you are looking for a higher-end hotel to spend a few days in. ^
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
We're back home now - had an excellent stay at the Hilton Luxor. In fact, I'll go so far as to say this is one of the best Hiltons I've ever stayed in anywhere. The setting/location was perfect and the property and service are top-notch.

The only thing I didn't quite get: it seems to me that people haven't discovered this hotel yet. November is peak season for Luxor, yet the hotel seemed mostly empty. By the 2nd or 3rd day of the stay, staff knew our names and room number without asking. We had lunch one day at the more-famous Sofitel and we came away quite happy that we were at the Hilton. Better location, better service, and overall cleaner/fresher look & feel.

The only thing I can think of is that cash rates for the Hilton were pretty high for the market. It's probably hard to convince a non-Hilton frequent guest that this property is worth $300/nt. sight unseen when Luxor is full of $150/nt. hotels. Even a tourist hesitant to book unfamiliar name would probably book the far-cheaper Sheraton instead.

We enjoyed being on the north edge of town - slightly away from the main tourist drag but still walking distance to everything on the east bank. I liked the little street outside the hotel - more locals than tourists and more authentic shops that were pleasant to do business with.

All of the restaurants at the Hilton were quite good and fairly priced. OK, certainly higher priced than a small local restaurant, but surprisingly fair for such a good hotel.

Only oddity: the WiFi at this hotel is insanely priced - 50 pounds for 30 minutes. Fortunately, there is an Internet cafe directly outside the Hilton's front gate for 10 pounds per hour.

When we were picked up at the airport, the concierge indicated that we had a nice upgrade waiting for us. But we needed two double beds so we ended up having to decline our original room assignment. The room we got instead was still wonderful - a big outdoor balcony and a full view of the Nile. The website and this experience seem to confirm that all of the suites here have King sized beds.

Highly recommended to anyone planning a visit to Luxor. I'm convinced it's the best possible option if you are looking for a higher-end hotel to spend a few days in. ^

Pinniped,

How di you arrange for the free transport? Did you mention the possibility of free pick up or they just offered it when you contacted them? Going in May and hoping to get a free transfer. Also joining the cruise down the Nile after, do you know how far away the cruise area is from the hotel?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by buaya00
Pinniped,

How did you arrange for the free transport? Did you mention the possibility of free pick up or they just offered it when you contacted them? Going in May and hoping to get a free transfer. Also joining the cruise down the Nile after, do you know how far away the cruise area is from the hotel?
I'm staying there this weekend. Early last week, I received an email from the hotel telling me about the complimentary airport pickup service and asking for my flight details. I provided the details, and received a response confirming that I'd be picked up upon arrival.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:27 am

The cruise docking area is a mile or two away- same side of the Nile as the hotel, towards the Luxor town center. 5-10 minute cab ride, tops.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
Hilton Luxor Resort and Spa

I recently did a one week stay at the Hilton Luxor and this is a great resort, and an excellent one for HHonors elites.

As a HHonors Gold, I received a number of free perks. The resort does complimentary airport transfers in a plush SUV, complete with refreshing cold washcloths and bottled water. We were upgraded from a basic room with a city view to a deluxe room with an "oh wow" Nile view. We received fruit and other treats in the room each day. The best perk however was a total surprise for us. The hotel arranged a complimentary candlelight dinner including wine right alongside the Nile. It was very thoughtful of them and we had a great time.

In addition to the perks we received, my overall opinion of the resort is that it is of the highest class. The star attractions are the two infinity pools, one in the main area and one in the spa area. These are set nicely against the Nile and offer great views, especially for sunsets. The staff is very attentive and polite and unlike other hotels in Egypt is not constantly looking for tips. I know lots of people say they go to a hotel and like the staff, but I sincerely mean it - they were terrific.

There are some very good food options too. Breakfast is buffet and is superior to the standard Hilton fare. There are inexpensive (relatively speaking) poolside options from the restaurant on the pool level. There is also a pan-Asian place called Silk Road that was quite good too.

We really enjoyed the spa area which was very relaxing. It wasn't very crowded at the hotel so most of the time you have the entire area to yourself.

We also used the on-site Thomas Cook agency to arrange some day trips. We did some comparison shopping and they were like 10% more expensive than other options, but we were happy to pay for the convenience of booking onsite. Our guided tours were very good.

I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing place in Luxor. It is the nicest property in Luxor. I'm actually quite surprised this flies the Hilton flag, as it performs at a much higher standard than the typical Hilton. You will love this resort.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Sounds nice.

How was traveling around Egypt as a tourist given the events of the last 9 months?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Sounds nice.

How was traveling around Egypt as a tourist given the events of the last 9 months?

It's a bit of a mixed bag. The positives are that due to the reduction in tourists, you have great deals and low occupancy at hotels. You therefore see great service there and in the hotels. Also the main tourist sites aren't very crowded, so no one is in the way of your photos. It's probably an ideal time to visit from that sense.

The downside is that the people who rely on tourists are really suffering, and the well known "hassle" culture there is really frustrating. The people who sell trinkets or operate taxis used to have waves after waves of tourists to sell to; now they really hound you. This is really unpleasant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.