Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-CA}

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-CA}

Old Dec 4, 07, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Trip Report

I'm wrapping up a stay at this resort.

For those of you that dread long walks at the HWV, avoid this place like the plague! I'm about as far away as you can get from the hotel lobby ...and it's a long walk through the casitas to get back/forth ....which can be especially tricky at night with similar looking structures and limited night lighting.

In any event, my highlights:

-the resort is probably the most beautifully maintained of any Hilton property anywhere. There isn't a blade of grass that's bent ...nor are there any wilted flowers anywhere on the property. The landscaping is simply magnificent...and outdoors, things are kept up superbly. The swimming pools are all sparkling and heated ...simply perfect too! Inside is another issue though.

-inside, the rooms are old with outdated features. Last time I was here, I stayed in an old original room... which was dark, dirty, and worn. This time, my Diamond status gave me a deluxe casita complete with a little kitchen area and fireplace. This room is a lot newer ...and a lot nicer, but still has a few annoying things. As an example, there's no power available on the side of the room that has the internet cable. In the bathroom, the towel rack is on the opposite side of the bathroom as the shower (and in this bathroom, that's quite a distance.) I could never get "hot" water --at best, it was lukewarm in the shower. The room is nice and spacious ...and cleaner than the old room I had during my last stay.

-the front desk service was friendly. And everywhere, the staff appeared to be friendly. But bartenders/barstaff/waitstaff are the worst. They're slow and sloppy -probably the worst crew I've run into quite some time. As an example, I saw next to a table where for breakfast a couple ordered a meatless egg breakfast dish (like a burrito of some sort.) They cut into it and saw bacon ...complained to the staff... and asked that replacements be made. What was disgusting was that I saw the waitstaff head towards the kitchen with those dishes ...but then turned around and gave it to another couple on the other side of the restaurant. I don't know about you, but I don't want someone else's rejects ...especially after a stranger slices into my meal to check out the contents with their knife and fork. Elsewhere, the waitstaff was soooo slow; clearing tables took forever. Often, they just seemed to stand along the outside of the dining areas just looking at their shoes or up at the ceiling ...and not at the job at hand. In this regard, I have to give service poor marks.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay ...and better than my last one (thanks in part to a better Diamond treatment.) Speaking of which, they delivered bottle water and a box of chocolates to welcome be to the hotel. I'm not sure if that was due to my Diamond status.... or to the fact I was a repeat guest.

In any event, if you enjoy strolling about amazing, well groomed grounds ...and perhaps take a dip in one of countless heated pools, this is the place for you. If you want world-class service footsteps away from a modern room, perhaps another place would be better.
Old Dec 5, 07, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Just as an fyi for others. If you're in one of the far distant casitas, you can call the bellmen & they'll pick you up in a golf cart & bring you to the 'center', and take you back. Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 08, 12:07 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
How were/have been people treated using a PL rate ?

--
Old May 27, 08, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
BTW it seems that the "fake" resort fee has no increased to $27.
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:24 pm

Programs: AWA Platinum;hhonors Diamond
La Quinta Resort & Spa refuses to upgrade Starlight Casita room

I booked a Starlight Casita room and am trying to check in today. They're refusing to upgrade me because the "Starlight Casita" is their highest available room. They'll give me a much nicer room if I pay for it. So availability isn't the issue. Any recourse or tips? They've always upgraded me to a Spa Villa in the past. Any ideas, is this a new policy? I'm a Hilton Diamond member.

Last edited by beaum; Aug 1, 08 at 12:31 pm
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold, UA/AS
Originally Posted by beaum View Post
I booked a Starlight Casita room and am trying to check in today. They're refusing to upgrade me because the "Starlight Casita" is their highest available room. They'll give me a much nicer room if I pay for it. So availability isn't the issue. Any recourse or tips? They've always upgraded me to a Spa Villa in the past. Any ideas, is this a new policy? I'm a Hilton Diamond member.
diamonds aren't *entitled* to suite upgrades. it sounds like they're sticking to the letter of the law. i would speak to a manager on duty and mention that you have received upgrades in the past, and are wondering if there's been a recent policy change. any time i've been cordial with a manager in the past, i've been given an explanation at the very least.
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:58 pm

I think that your expectations may be a little awry.

Diamond benefits are defined in the T&C as follows:

At the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, La Quinta Resort & Club and Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, Diamond members will receive two bottles of water per stay, welcome amenity on night of arrival AND may choose TWO of the following benefits:

** One category room upgrade excludes suites ..... If room upgrade is not available, member may choose one of the remaining options.

** 1,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points.

** Discount at select resort facilities (may include spa, golf, restaurant, etc.) At Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, Diamond VIP members will receive a $25 Dining Credit (food only) or 20% off Spa Treatment.
But I don't understand how they could refuse to give you a Starlight Casita room if you booked one.
Old Aug 1, 08, 2:05 pm

Programs: AWA Platinum;hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bondiboy View Post
I think that your expectations may be a little awry.

Diamond benefits are defined in the T&C as follows:

But I don't understand how they could refuse to give you a Starlight Casita room if you booked one.

They're not refusing to give me the starlight casita. T&C does say they'll upgrade you one category if a room is available. I know there are nicer rooms available than the Starlight Casita. I wouldn't consider the Spa Villa a suite, but that is my personal definition.
Old Aug 1, 08, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you booked it and paid for it you should get it or a refund, otherwise the T&C state "no sir". You are a Diamond so you should call the DD.

MisterNice
Old Aug 1, 08, 8:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you booked a Starlight Casita room, that is really what you are entitled to; the hotel maintains the right to state whether there is availability for upgraded facilities for an awards stay or not (and suites are excluded.) You may request 1,000 bonus points, or the discount at selected resort facilities, as I read them. Sorry it did not work for you this time, but it seems they exceeded the T&Cs for Diamonds for you previously - much as have some properties for me, for which I am very appreciative.

Definitely chat up the GM and see if you have any possibilities with him as a previous guest.

As quoted above, with my highlighting:

[QUOTE=T&C]At the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, La Quinta Resort & Club and Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, Diamond members will receive two bottles of water per stay, welcome amenity on night of arrival AND may choose TWO of the following benefits:

** One category room upgrade excludes suites ..... If room upgrade is not available, member may choose one of the remaining options.

** 1,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points.

** Discount at select resort facilities (may include spa, golf, restaurant, etc.)
At Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, Diamond VIP members will receive a $25 Dining Credit (food only) or 20% off Spa Treatment.
Old Aug 1, 08, 9:39 pm

talk to priscilla, i stayed there last weekend and was in room 930, it was a villa spa suite of some sort. she was really nice
Old Aug 9, 08, 2:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Just returned from site visit. . .

at LaQuinta for an event this fall. The standard operating procedure at this property seems to be to say no to everything. We are having 800+ people and walking through the property where it was 116 degrees we were never offered any beverage during the visit - it was brought only after 3 hours of being in the sun we asked for it (small bottles of water - 1 per person was brought out). Couldn't get a $20 bill cashed/broken and it took 5 calls to the operator to have them turn off the blinking red message light that kept me up during the night. It was pretty astonishing since this is supposedly such a high-level Hilton property.

The customer service level at this hotel is not up to par with most Starwood properties imo; I am hoping that it was just due to the heat or something. I was really looking forward to having our event at this property; now after the site visit I am astonished at the lack of customer service shown.
Old Oct 13, 08, 12:02 am

Location: California; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Omni
I swear, this hotel is its own worst enemy when it comes to dealing with Diamonds. Armed with a Waldorf=Astoria smugness that not much needs to be done for elites, they seem to bend over backwards to do less than nothing. Clearly I should have been worried when I was directed to drive out of the resort onto Eisenhower and to a hovel at the far reaches of the property. Considering that not one of the 41 pools was within sight; in so much that there were two queen beds, when I asked for a king; because there was no Diamond amenity; due to the fact the room fronted a road and headlights peered in whenever a car drove by; and realizing it was about the farthest room from the main reception area, I slowly awoke to the notion that La Quinta was pissed at me for getting a $99 gov’t rate, based on me having correctional business in the area. So, I called the front desk (likely a toll call from the room) and said that, “As a Diamond with xty-x million Hilton points, I am just wondering is there is possibly a worse room in this half full hotel?”

They were happy to move me to a lovely casita, with a full living room and kitchen, near the spa and with a patio fronting one of the 41 pools. But, did it need to be so damn hard, particularly as the place seemed, well, under-utilized? True, there were about 10,000 Harley riders in for the motorcycle weekend, but I didn’t see a bike way out in La Quinta. In fact, I knew nothing about the gathering of the clans until I was walking downtown Palm Springs in search of an Idine. Coming unbeknownst to a Harley weekend is like stumbling blind onto the Coliseum or Pyramids; when unexpected it is all the more breathtaking. And although I vaguely recall that about a decade ago, but maybe in Winslow not Palm Springs, there were pitched battles between police and “motorcycle gangs” (please don’t fact check, I hate to have my memory de-Googlized), now almost every store and restaurant sported banners saying that bikers were welcome. Not only are a goodly amount of the Harley faithful now weekend-riding CPAs, but changes in the economy make the shopkeepers hungry for biker loot, even if traces of meth have to be blown off the occasional note.

Looking at hundreds, nay, thousands of gleaming hogs, who wouldn’t come down with a tinge of “chuck-it”, with an open road and a short day’s ride to Phoenix? But, it wasn’t to be my destiny, and I turned my four wheeled rotary-mobile west, stopping off at the outlet mall to buy some Dockers and dress shirts; but I took my Starbuck's w/out vanilla, thank you very much.
Old Dec 7, 08, 5:00 pm

Quick Trip Report

Back at the resort again... paid a discounted rate, and as Diamond was upgraded to a Starlight Casita complete with private sun deck.

Also as a repeat Diamond, the resort charge (now $27/day) was waived.
Old Dec 9, 08, 6:00 pm

Diamond Ammenity

Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
Back at the resort again... paid a discounted rate, and as Diamond was upgraded to a Starlight Casita complete with private sun deck.

Also as a repeat Diamond, the resort charge (now $27/day) was waived.
Just as an update, the gift sent to Diamond rooms at this resort is now a few bottles of water and a container of honey-roasted peanuts with the W=A logo on them.

On another note, the internet service at this resort is --horrible--. It feels like I've gone back into time and am using a 1200bps modem. I talked to their tech team and they said they're having bandwith and network issues and hope to have a better internet connection (and faster service into the rooms) later in '09.

If you want/need a broadband internet connection, you will -not- get one here anytime soon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: