FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oklahoma, USA {US-OK} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/574349-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-oklahoma-usa-us-ok.html)

MilesMonster Feb 6, 2003 4:11 pm

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oklahoma, USA {US-OK}

I'm heading to Oklahoma City next month and wondered if any FT'ers know of a particular Hilton around the city that is best. I had looked into the HGI near the OKC Airport, or the Hilton OKC Northwest. Does anyone have experience with these two or recommendations on others? Location is not critical, but I'm trying to keep room cost under $75/night if possible.

Thanks!

PaulGQ Feb 6, 2003 6:14 pm

HGI is about 3 miles down the street from the airport, that is the one you want.

The Embassy Suites is nice inside with a garden-filled atrium-like atmosphere and profesional pool tables but the staff are not the brightest.

A credit card typo tied up my Amex to the point where it was maxed out and declined becasue amex though there was some fraud involved. They had no clue how to handle the situation and threatened to confiscate my card.

We abruptly left and had a nice stay at the HGI. Be advised that out of all the places in the world we have visited, some of the people in Oklahoma we spoke to were very nice, but many were the dumbest people we have ever encountered.

Don't bother asking for directions or anything releated to civics because many won't have a clue.

We did an entire OKC trip last Memorial Day if you want some guidelines.

[This message has been edited by PaulGQ (edited 02-07-2003).]

TxLobo Feb 6, 2003 6:54 pm

What is the best Hilton, if working Downtown OKC?

I have a project starting up there for a month?

Thanks

------------------
AA member since 1981.

PaulGQ Feb 6, 2003 9:19 pm

hilton brand or hilton owned?

I's say embassy is nicest, but HGI is the most functional.

both are 5-7 minutes from down town.

MileKing Feb 7, 2003 7:00 am

Stayed at the HGI back in December. Very new and very nice. Would certainly stay there again.

burnsflat Feb 7, 2003 4:11 pm

I live in OKC and my law office is one block south of the HGI on Meridian Ave. Meridian Ave is one of the main streets in OKC and thus has dozens of places to eat and is just minutes away from whatever you want to do. You may want to explore Bricktown (located in downtown 7 miles away) for additional entertainment.

The Hilton on Northwest Expressway is older and not in great condition but is acceptable. However, Penn Square Mall is less than 3 miles away, as is a movie theater and multiple restaurants. It's not too bad. It's across the street from Baptist Hospital, so expect sirens late at night.

PaulGQ is correct - we have some of the nicest people around. Of course PaulGQ is a moron with his statement that most Oklahomans are dumb - but then what can we expect from somebody who lives in Rhode Island? I know my directions well, know much about civic events and am pretty sure I am more educated than PaulGQ.

So come to Oklahoma - enjoy the town and people - and most importantly avoid the haughty attitudes of those Rhode Island nuts.

Eagle

------------------
Eagle

PaulGQ Feb 7, 2003 4:59 pm

haughty taughty - I will take that as the highest of compliments. I have my bachelors degree in computer science and an MCSE from Microsoft. My wife graduated #1 in her class - summa cum laude in political science and economics and owns an investment firm.

If you read my post, I said most of the people we ran into, specifically NOT all Oklahomans in general. But let me be more direct, they were dumber than stumps. This based on first hand experience. I am sure you have no experience with Rhode Islanders face to face, so you have no right to be critical. We'll chalk that up to a good ol' pot of Oklahoman ignorance.

Even when we meet people from Oklahoma, they all agree, and laugh about it. And don't me get started about the ignorant racism running ramped among the locals. I'm even white and I found it unappealing.

We were about 20 miles from Guthrie, and the attendant at the gas station had no idea how to get there. Never heard of it he said.

We went to the first drugstore in the US and the female bartender at the saloon next door had no idea where it was or that it even existed.

At the Cowboy Museum, the attendant in the movie exhibit never heard of Clint Eastwood. He said "Cleant Whooo?" Oh and be sure not to miss the barbed wire exhibit. You never get to see enough of those.

And no one could figure out why two executives would want to vacation there, as everyone under 35 that we met just wanted to get the hell out of Oklahoma.

Further, we passed by a wedding on the side of the road where the groom was wearing grey jeans with a big ol' belt buckle, bolo tie, and a cowboy hat. You'd never know he was getting married, except for his tuxedo coat with tails. Plaid really was his color.

Finally, anyone visiting Oklahoma must go to the OCGR - Oklahoma City Gay Rodeo. Never have I seen more men in skin-tight jeans with naked Barbie dolls sticking out of their back pockets.

On a more serious note, the Murrah Memorial was solemn and beautiful, and it is a must see for anyone visiting. The Oklahomans who designed that were no dummies. You see - they're not all stupid.

TxLobo Feb 8, 2003 7:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PaulGQ:
If you read my post, I said most of the people we ran into, specifically NOT all Oklahomans in general. But let me be more direct, they were dumber than stumps. This based on first hand experience. I am sure you have no experience with Rhode Islanders face to face, so you have no right to be critical. We'll chalk that up to a good ol' pot of Oklahoman ignorance.
</font>
PaulGQ, I would sure watch flaming a state like this...... I spent a Year working in the Providence area and it definitely had its warts and dumber than stumps too...

Now back to the question at hand, My client tells me that there is only two hotels in downtown.... a Renaissance and a Westin. Is that true, no Hilton's in the downtown area?

------------------
AA member since 1981.

PaulGQ Feb 8, 2003 7:39 am

I wouldn't stay downtown, I would stay at the HGI 3 miles from the airport. - about 5-7 minutes from downtown.

burnsflat Feb 8, 2003 10:08 am

Oh boy! You have a bachelors degree! Wow - and think I went on to law school when I could have stopped at a bachelors degree and have been as important as you. And you even get to brag on your wife. But wait - so can I! Nothing like having a wife who 4 pointed her masters! Lucky me.

Can't say I have had the pleasure of going to the gay rodeo. Did you enjoy yourself?

------------------
Eagle

PaulGQ Feb 8, 2003 3:46 pm

Again, more Oklahoman ignorance.

I will repeat myself because I guess you have a hard time reading. I DID NOT SAY ALL OKLAHOMANS. I said most of the people we ran into based on our first hand experience.

Like an animal trapped in a corner, you lash out at anything you can grab your hands on like my education or orientation.

I have not made any personal attacks against you, so that fact that you feel the need to attack me indicates you have some personal issues to deal with.

Anyhow, to MilesMonster, I suggest the HGI because my past experience was that I could not speak slow enough for the employees at Embassy Suites to understand me.

formeraa Feb 8, 2003 4:51 pm

Having graduated from Brown University in Providence, I would have to say that at least the people in Oklahoma City are friendly. Providence had some of the rudest and impatient people that I have ever encountered in my life. In addition, although downtown Providence has made tremendous strides in the past 7 or 8 years, it was a tremendously ugly city during the 70's, 80's and much of the 90's.

MilesMonster Feb 8, 2003 5:38 pm

Thanks folks - I'll be at the HGI (and not attending the gay rodeo).

PaulGQ Feb 8, 2003 5:52 pm

I'd have to agree that many Rhode Islanders are rude and impatient.

The people in Oklahoma were super nice and accomodating.

[This message has been edited by PaulGQ (edited 02-09-2003).]

pitsheel Feb 10, 2003 1:47 pm

What can I expect at the Hilton OKC Northwest as a Diamond? Is there an Exec floor? suites?
is the hampton inn nearby any good?