Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have stayed at the HI at the airport and the parking is tight. The airport Garden Inn has a bit more room but if it is full, still tight. The Double Tree used to be a Hilton and has a convention center on one end. If there is no convention or large meeting, you may have the best luck here.

I have stayed at the Garden Inn downtown and that parking lot was tight.

Hampton Inn Central off 210 south of California Ave: May be your best bet. Google Earth shows lots of parking particularly away from the hotel. You might even call the church next door and ask them. If they graciously say yes, a gift is in order. Korean Presbyterian Church of Utah. Click on the map and get the number.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7267.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United 1K
I'd stick with the Double Tree by the airport. There is plenty of room on and next to the property for a moving truck.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I would look at the Homewood Suites Midvale. This is a much older property, close to some good restaurants, but they are on a street that should be able to accommodate a 26' RV. Depending on day they can be very full or completely empty, but the street parking should work. They are in Midvale at 9th East and about 7200 South just near the 215 belt root or I15 and a quick trip to 80. If you can get a room ending in x02, 04, 06, 40, 42 or 44 you will likely be able to see the truck from your room.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by neo_781
Who did you call?
I talked to the hotel directly, not the call center.

Originally Posted by neo_781
Also just from general experience I would try to choose a property that is directly off the interstate and in a suburban or rural area.
I tend to agree, I like the idea of easy access/off/on. Not really looking forward to having to navigate potentially tight street with the truck.

I'll take a look at the other suggestions. My biggest concern is showing up at 10pm or later, and not being able to find a place to park. I probably will stick with the DT unless something really obvious stands out from the other suggestions.

Thanks again for the recommendations!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Anyone familiar with Zion National Park area?

Going to do a 2-night stay near Zion out of Las Vegas, but running into some logistical questions.

The Springdale Hampton Inn (right outside the Park entrance) is running $270/nt for our dates.

The Hampton Inn in St. George, an hour away (west, will hit it first from Vegas), is only $79. Big difference.

I'm trying to decide whether, on the first night we arrive after driving from Vegas, if it would be worth staying in St. George to save money, then driving the hour to Zion the next morning, and spending that second night in Springdale. Dollar cost averaging.

Should I really cheap out and spend both nights in St. George for $80/nt?

Or should I not cheap out and spend both nights in Springdale for $270 ($540, yikes that sounds like a lot).

Or I could reverse the nights, first night go all the way to Springdale, 2nd night spend in St. George.

I don't know how strenuous the drive is from Vegas, it looks like it's mostly freeway until you get past St. George.

What will I regret more - having to drive an extra hour to get to Zion in the morning, or having to drive an extra hour back to St. George in the late afternoon? We will have to be back in Vegas before noon the next day, which should not be a problem with the time change.

If I can't stay right in the Park (and the Zion Lodge is sold out for our dates), then I do want it to be an HH property. Don't want to use points.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Should I really cheap out and spend both nights in St. George for $80/nt?
I have stayed at the HGI and I have stayed in Springdale. Maximize your time in the park. If that means away from HHonors to get a cheaper property in Springdale I would do that.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:00 pm

why not see what is there in springdale that's not a hilton? the desert pearl inn for example is an excellent property right by the park entrance. depending on how often you go to zion, it may be worthwhile to stay right by the park to maximize your time there. mornings and afternoons are often better than mid-day for hikes when it is hot, so you'd potentially be cutting away from valuable time by staying in st. george.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Hey Eujeanie

I spent 6 months in Las Vegas and have been to Zion a handful of times. The drive between the two is very easy freeway driving with some great scenery and fun curves. Once you leave the freeway the drive is pretty simple but at night can be very dark.

I know where the Hampton by the park is and that spot is prime for sure. I have never stayed because I'm more the camping type but I believe the park bus goes right by there, plenty of food and drink options within walking distance. My suggestion would be staying closer to the park since the crowds build up fast and depending on what you're doing in the park driving back afterwards may be a bit tiresome. perhaps the second night in St George in a pinch so you're closer to getting back?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by japaik
why not see what is there in springdale that's not a hilton? the desert pearl inn for example is an excellent property right by the park entrance. depending on how often you go to zion, it may be worthwhile to stay right by the park to maximize your time there. mornings and afternoons are often better than mid-day for hikes when it is hot, so you'd potentially be cutting away from valuable time by staying in st. george.
That would be a consideration, since I was willing to pay for the Zion Lodge (and not get any points).

However, the Pearl and several of the other nicer-sounding independents are also sold out.

Can't remember them all off-hand, but the ones that are under $100 are the Rodeway Inn, Super 8, Days Inn, Quality Inn.

"Nicer" chains like Best Western and Holiday Inn are in the same vicinity as the Hampton Inn, about $250+.

So you think St. George in either direction is a mistake? We are not heavy hikers (older), will take the tram and walk a little at several stops.

If the Zion Lodge does have any cancellations would you jump on that rather than being in Springdale at all?

This will be early June.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by BLazarus22
Hey Eujeanie

I spent 6 months in Las Vegas and have been to Zion a handful of times. The drive between the two is very easy freeway driving with some great scenery and fun curves. Once you leave the freeway the drive is pretty simple but at night can be very dark.

I know where the Hampton by the park is and that spot is prime for sure. I have never stayed because I'm more the camping type but I believe the park bus goes right by there, plenty of food and drink options within walking distance. My suggestion would be staying closer to the park since the crowds build up fast and depending on what you're doing in the park driving back afterwards may be a bit tiresome. perhaps the second night in St George in a pinch so you're closer to getting back?
Yes, the shuttle stops right there at the Hampton. I don't think we have to worry about night driving because it will be June, should be light very late.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
I am a Hilton crazy so take with a grain of salt but I would do your first option and stay in St George on the first night and in Springdale after a day in the park. I took my mother to Zion and the only strenuous hike we did was the Canyon Overlook hike which took ~90 minutes and we comfortably saw the park in a day. We even had enough time to enjoy the hot tub at the Hampton before sunset. This was in winter though so we had our own transport through the park and there wasn't any crowds. Springdale is quite a nice hotel by Hampton standards. Have you been to Bryce Canyon? It is not terribly far away. Good luck with your decision.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by earlyriser
I am a Hilton crazy so take with a grain of salt but I would do your first option and stay in St George on the first night and in Springdale after a day in the park. I took my mother to Zion and the only strenuous hike we did was the Canyon Overlook hike which took ~90 minutes and we comfortably saw the park in a day. We even had enough time to enjoy the hot tub at the Hampton before sunset. This was in winter though so we had our own transport through the park and there wasn't any crowds. Springdale is quite a nice hotel by Hampton standards. Have you been to Bryce Canyon? It is not terribly far away. Good luck with your decision.
This is actually the option my husband likes best.

We are flying into LV that morning, so he says he'd rather do the shorter drive in case the flight is delayed, etc, plus with the time change going east. We actually think we might avoid some of the crowds at Zion by arriving a little later the next morning from St. George - early risers tend to want to get on the earliest shuttles possible.

What other less-strenuous hikes did you and your Mom do that you particularly enjoyed (or that any of you can recommend?).

And yes, it hurts to not get points (unless it is a special stay like the Zion Lodge). Our other chain we use is Marriott, and their properties are more expensive in St. George and don't exist in Springdale.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
This is actually the option my husband likes best.

We are flying into LV that morning, so he says he'd rather do the shorter drive in case the flight is delayed, etc, plus with the time change going east. We actually think we might avoid some of the crowds at Zion by arriving a little later the next morning from St. George - early risers tend to want to get on the earliest shuttles possible.

What other less-strenuous hikes did you and your Mom do that you particularly enjoyed (or that any of you can recommend?).

And yes, it hurts to not get points (unless it is a special stay like the Zion Lodge). Our other chain we use is Marriott, and their properties are more expensive in St. George and don't exist in Springdale.
We took the Emerald Pools Trail to the lower pool but did not go on due to ice. We walked up to Weeping Rock and also as far as we could at the very end of the road before one would have to enter the river. All were quite easy. I'd recommend Canyon Overlook for an incredible view but there are some steep drop offs and I had to watch my mother closely every step of the way. There were other people her age that we encountered that did not seem to have much trouble so it probably depends on how fit one is. Angel's landing and Inspiration point take far longer and are considerably more strenuous.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:17 am

earlyriser, those shorter hikes look perfect for us.

Thank you, all, for all the help - we'll do the first night in St. George, and the second in Springdale. Right now the Hampton in Springdale is over 110,000 pts for our night, but if it drops down to standard levels we'll switch to that. Otherwise we'll live with the $269.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:39 am

Sometimes the light bulb just goes off.

I had been checking Springdale for the 2 nights for points (110,000 each), or just the second night for cash.

But when it suddenly occurred to me to check just the FIRST night for points, it was 50,000! Hilton was going to charge the premium points for both if I had booked both, instead of breaking it out!

So one for that and one for $269 is perfectly fine. And we don't have to switch hotels, or store our luggage, and will be closer to the park all the time.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.