Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:30 pm
Original Member

Hilton?

I assume because you posted this in the Hilton forum that you are specifically looking for a Hilton family recommendation.

In that case, there is only one good alternative, at least in my mind. That is the Hampton Inn and Suites in Park City. Have not been there in about 4 years, but it is a reasonable place to stay, particularly for just a couple, for a ski trip.

There are plenty of Hilton family hotels down in Salt Lake City, but I personally don't like staying down in SLC and then trekking up to the resorts. Too much time each day wasted in traveling.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
You're posting in the Hilton forum. Were you looking for Hilton specific info?

There is the airport Hilton and the one downtown. You'll be more comfortable with a rental car if you stay at either one. There used to be a ski bus from the downtown hotels but it now requires a connection to Trax. I don't have specifics on the properties. Don't know if the Homewood Suites in Midvale is on the skibus route.

If you are happy with either of the Cottonwood Canyons and don't want to drive then check the UTA website www.rideuta.com and look for lodgings on the ski bus route.

Park City fans will weigh in I'm sure.

Ask if you have specific ?s

Jim
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
the homewood suites-midvale is fine. there is a bally fitness down the street where hotel guest get complementary access. ^
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest, Kimpton InTouch
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard my hometown (Midvale) talked about so much on the Internet. Awesome.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
I always stay at the Embassy Suites in downtown SLC for at least part of my ski vacations. Good rate, great breakfast and only 30 minutes drive from several ski slopes.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:14 am

Programs: United 1k - Hilton Diamond
I take my son skiing to Utah every year and we stay at the Hampton in Sandy UT. There are some ok places to grab a bite with in walking distance, and you can hit all the cottonwood resorts in 30-40 minutes, park city about 45min.

Hotel is average but nice Hampton, pool etc
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:23 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I've stayed at the Hampton Inn Park City and it's a decent hotel. Just be aware that it isn't actually in Park City, it's a few miles away, down the hill by the expressway. I say this because the chairlift starts right in the middle of Park City and you can walk to it from most of the hotels in town. You won't be able to do this from the Hampton Inn. You might also consider a hotel in downtown SLC. I've stayed at the Hilton and was impressed with the service and the accomodations. As I recall, there are shuttles from downtown to the ski areas near by, like Snowbird and Alta.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
A lot of this depends on which resort you plan to ski and/or snowboard at, how much you want to spend, and if it is going to puke snow or not.

Last season I had 4 season passes in UT- Park City, Snowbird, The Canyons, and Sundance. I spent 75% of my time at Snowbird with a few random day passes at Deer Valley.

Do you want to ski only one resort or many during your x day stay?

If it's going to snow a lot I'd stay at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird since they close the canyon roads due to avalanche danger. Many a day I've been waiting at the mouth of the canyon very sad due to the powder I was missing that others were taking since they were in the Lodge.

Just my two cents.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:32 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
When I ski in SLC, I always stay downtown. For the past three visits, I've stayed at the Sheraton SLC, but there is a Cat2 Hampton Inn about a block away. And I think that the Hilton Garden Inn downtown is brand new, IIRC.

We like to ski at a different resort every day, so we get a rental car and a downtown hotel. There are a number of great restaurants and bars downtown -- many within walking distance of many hotels. Many of the downtown hotel prices are very affordable. There are 8 resorts within 30 - 60 minutes of driving. The airport is close to downtown. You can rent skis and buy discount lift tickets downtown.

If you want to ski the same resort every day, then stay near that resort. If you want to stay in a busy resort-style environment, Park City is probably best. If you want the best snow, the resorts in the Cottonwood Canyons are most promising. But if you want to ski a different area every day and don't have to stay directly in a resort, then a downtown hotel might suit you.

Last winter, I took two ski trips to SLC -- each with four days of activities. We always take the third day off from skiing to do some other activity and give our legs a rest. We sometimes go night skiing at Brighton on that night since we already have the skis rented (usually with a 4th-day-free discount or coupon).

I think that these were our itineraries last winter:
Trip 1: Brighton, Snowbasin, snowmobiling, The Canyons.
Trip 2: Alta, Snowbasin, snowmobiling, Park City.

kansaitim, if you post again, I suggest that you advise where else you and your wife have been skiing, what level of experience you have in powder, how many days you intend to ski, and what other activities interest you during your trip, if any. Utah has great skiing, but there are a lot of different ways to plan a stay there. Unfortunately, there are no Hilton properties that are within walking distance to Utah ski slopes.

FWIW, my favorite time to ski in SLC is between about Feb 20 and March 20.

Edit: I found that this thread (found with a search for "ski") has some really good info about the SLC area properties.

Last edited by sc flier; Nov 12, 2006 at 12:52 am
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:30 am

Programs: aa gold, usair silver, hilton gold
Thanks for all the responses; it is greatly appreciated.
My wife and I usually ski in either Aspen, Tahoe area or Jackson Hole, but we have heard great things about the various Utah ski areas. We would love to ski as much powder as possible. As we get older,we find the backcountry skiing is just too much work.
Thanks again,
Tim
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:58 am

I really like the Hampton Inn downtown. Absolutley nothing special about the hotel, but it is clean and consistent, and the staff is delightful.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have stayed both downtown SLC and Park City. Downtown is usually less expensive (very cheap if you use priceline ) but not nearly as fun or convenient. So even I - Mr. Cheapo - will usually pay a little more to stay in Park City. Better food and nightlife options, and a lot less time getting to the resorts in the morning. We got a great deal at the Radisson last time via orbitz.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:30 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Various offers-SLC

Just to add more info: another thread in this forum has info on buying 75$ off for $35 certs via hawaii red cross Hilton SLC center is one of them good one cert per day of lodging,food and beverage. http://www.hawaiiredcross.org/Default.aspx?tabid=159. Skiing up North-Snowbasin/Powder mnt? Hampton Inn Layton rooms for $69 nite, 30 minutes to Snowbasin [url]http://www.skiutah.com/members/sterlinghospitality . Info on the QuikStart where u get free lift ticket to Pk Cty,Dr Vly,or Cnyns upon arrival of morning flight into SLC http://www.parkcityinfo.com/skiing/quickstart. And many properties in the area offer the Super pass allowing you you to ski one of the 4 resorts in the Cottonwoods for as little as $48 day based on 4-day pass. This is an especially good deal for Snowbird as a lift ticket there alone w/tram cost $64 http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski then click on the banner"ski salt lake".

Last edited by rustyr; Nov 17, 2006 at 8:38 am
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:29 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I usually ski 2-3 times in UT a season.

Just adding my $.02 - when i go by myself, i always stay in downtown SLC to save some money. I usually do a Fri-Sun trip and the downtown hotels seem to have great rates on the weekends. For example, the Hilton and the Sheratons have been available at under $100/night each trip.

When I'm going with friends, they usually want to stay in Park City so we've done that as well.

Since the pluses to staying in Park City are apparent, I'll give some pluses for downtown -

1. Cheap Rooms
2. Easy drive to Park City - via I-80 and about 30 min each way
3. Interesting downtown area in SLC (newish Gateway shopping area), sightseeing
4. Ability to change resorts daily (park city vs. cottonwood canyons)

BTW - you can go to the sporting goods stores in SLC and get discount lift tix which i do before heading up teh mountain. Also, for much of the ski season, if you go to www.parkcity.com before you arrive, you can do a "quick start" voucher which gives you a free 1/2 day lift ticket by presenting it in park city with your boarding pass. Just make sure you sign up before you leave and make sure you have an extra boarding pass - i forgot this once when SWA collected my online check-in pass at the gate. it really burned me to pay $50 for a 1/2 day ticket that i could have gotten for free.

happy skiing! :-)
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:46 am
Suspended

honestly for downtown slc i have used priceline. priceline is always a risk. I have gotten the slc marriott university park for 36 dollars a night. its a really nice hotel new beds newly renovated has a lot of pluses. on the negative side there are some so so hotels also rated three stars so its more of a gamble.

i have stayed at the hilton downtown mostly a convention/business crowd still very nice, highly recommend another tall downtown hotel but has some amazing views.

if you really want to have an amazing trip book at the GRAND AMERICA it is an amazing huge hotel. Its five star rated by everyone, and i have seen some pretty decent rates and all the rooms are huge the owner spared no expense imported crystal from austria to a two million dollar mirror. This hotel was built to be "the best luxury hotel in the world" they did a pretty decent job and came really close. Although staying in a huge tall hotel downtown might not seem like the ideal ski trip this hotel is amazing i totally recommend it! One of my favorite ski trips ever was downtown slc and there some pretty nice bars in walking distance. Definitly check out the gateway i am from nyc and know malls ,but this one is really really nice. http://www.grandamerica.com/

staying at park city or snowbird you will get your typical ski town experience, but park city is really beautiful My favorite ski town in the US. booking a ski trip in park city during sundance can be expensive and offer you a unique experience to see lots of celebs but you will also have lines at restaurants, traffic, higher prices etc

if you have any questions let me know i live in NYC but i go out to utah all the time to ski its simply the best snow on earth, offers the convenience of being so close to a major city and hub airport, and nowhere else in the US can really compete with the convenience and snow quality!

Last edited by SkiUtah; Mar 27, 2007 at 10:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.