Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Utah, USA {US-UT}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2003, 12:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kathnunley:
The downtown Hilton is very nice - good location.... The Olive Garden is on the ground floor there - but I recommend going across the street and over 1/2 block to Cafe Pierpont - pretty good food and reasonable - mexican (Utah style) with a seafood twist. [This message has been edited by kathnunley (edited 04-16-2003).]</font>
Actually, it is Spencers for Steaks and Chops that is in the Hilton. The Olive Garden is about a block away.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 12:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scott218:
For those who have been to Utah....

Instead of Salt Lake City, I might have to stay in Provo, about 40 miles away.

Although there is a Hampton Inn there, I'd rather stay in Salt Lake. How is the traffic like in the morning on major routes? How long does it take to go from Salt Lake to Provo during rush hours?

</font>
I do not recommend staying in SLC and driving to Provo. During non-rush hour, it can easily take an hour to get there and 1.5 hours during rush hour. True, by going to Provo in the morning and coming back in the evening, you would be going somewhat against the flow, but a lot of people do go to Provo from SLC to work. (I do this myself about once a month.)

If you do stay in Provo and need to be in SLC a couple of days during your stay, you could take the local transit authority's express bus service that goes on the carpool lane of the freeway, and thus often takes less time than driving. This only operates during the rush hours and only from Provo to downtown SLC in the morning and downtown SLC to Provo in the evening. During the rest of the day, the transit agency operates non-express buses that go from where the light rail line ends.

http://www.rideuta.com/schedules/vie...5&pdaView=True
Old Apr 17, 2003, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I might have to stay in the Hampton Inn at Provo then. Driving 2 hours roundtrip isn't the best thing in the world.

Are there things to do in Provo and its neighbouring towns/cities?
Old Apr 17, 2003, 6:26 pm

http://www.provo.org/econdev/Visiting/visiting.html

http://www.utahvalley.org/Visguide/index.htm

http://www.utahvalley.org/Visguide/h...ovo/Hamptn.htm

Lots of stuff to do. If you can give me a better idea of what it is you like to do, I can be more specific. (I went to college in Provo at Brigham Young University, so I can get really detailed if you want.) The Hampton Inn is near a large indoor shopping mall, (Provo Town Centre) and a short drive away is another indoor mall (University Mall) that is the state's largest. There are all kinds of ethnic restaurants, since many BYU students served religious missions in foreign countries and of course many foreign students come to BYU.

For me, I like the BYU main library, the Lee Library, which is the state's largest library, but I am just weird that way.

The public library there is also worth checking out if you are into historic architecture. It is an old building that is over a hundred years old. http://www.provo.lib.ut.us/
The library is frequently used for wedding receptions. http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,480036009,00.html (the photograph doesn't do the library's ballroom justice).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scott218:
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I might have to stay in the Hampton Inn at Provo then. Driving 2 hours roundtrip isn't the best thing in the world.

Are there things to do in Provo and its neighbouring towns/cities?
</font>
By the way, if for some reason you need to stay in a full-service hotel, there is a Marriott in downtown Provo near NuSkin.

[This message has been edited by amanuensis (edited 04-18-2003).]
Old May 20, 2003, 12:39 am

Are there any updates on these two properties (Hilton Airport or Downtown)? I'm going to be in the area in June and want to make sure I stay in the best hotel for upgrades and comfort.

Please update me if you have anything new.
Old May 20, 2003, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I recently stayed at both the downtown and airport locations. The above posts got it right. The airport location is a bit worn, but the service is excellent. The bar ...er ... club was quite fun ;-) but quite empty. The bartender was a hoot and so were the few other patrons.

The downtown location is a bit newer and does not feel "worn" at all. It too gave excellent service. The lounge was nice with the usual breakfast/snack/dessert fare. I will say that the giant bowl of strawberries at breakfast was *wonderful*.

The Olive Garden is not inside the hotel -- it's one or two doors down. I avoided it nevertheless (It is, after all, the Olive Garden). I tried the steak house across the street -- Christopher's. it's next to the cafe mentioned above. Aside from really good food it turned out they did iDine. What a pleasant surprise! There's another steak place in the lobby that is said to be very good. My rule is to never eat in the hotel so I didn't eat there.

Two other good places to eat in the area: Ruth's Diner & Log Haven -- both of which are out of the city and require a car to get to.
Old May 20, 2003, 8:19 pm

Location: Danville, CA - "When I read about the evils of DRINKING, I gave up READING.
The downtown Hilton is superior to the airport property. The executive lounge is great and they also have a happy hour in the afternoon for two hours. Spencer's is the restaurant on the ground floor and their steaks are excellent. As a guest of the hotel nobody has to sponsor you to have drinks. New Yorker two blocks down is great for seafood and eating alone. It has a good size bar, great drinks, and three TV sets showing sporting events. Around the corner is a new martini bar next to Hotel Monaco. Nice place with beautiful people.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 9:46 am

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Just finished my stay at the Downtown Hilton. Great property. I was upgraded and love the lounge on the 18th floor. What a great city SLC is. One of the the cleanest downtowns I have ever seen. I met an old friend from high school at Temple Square. The Mormon Tabernacle is beautiful!
Old Sep 19, 2004, 7:44 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Best Hilton in SCL

I'm currently planning a trip from Australia to The Falkland Islands and it looks like I'll have to go BNE-AKL-SCL-PUQ-MPN and am wondering about accommodation.

Which is the preferred Hotel in SCL ? Has anyone stayed in SCL and can give me reports ? I prefer Hilton, but am SPG Gold and stay at PC, BW and Accor often.

Marien Coral by Hilton seems nice - and I especially like 1pm checkout standard, but in not-often-travelled destinations (or as my TA says "Dude, this isn't LA or London, you make my life very difficult somtimes" ) it's always better to get first hand experience
Old Sep 20, 2004, 6:23 am
Suspended

I presume you do mean Santiago de Chile.
Sorry to disappoint you but there are no Hiltons at all in Chile one of a number of countries HH is woefully absent.

If you stay at Starwood I would highly recommend the Sheraton Cristobal Tower as opposed the regular Sheraton adjoining. Nice hotel overlooking the city, close to the more upscale areas of this intresting city and some of the most friendly and helpful staff/service I have ever received in a hotel worldwide.

mike

Ps edited to add the hotel you linked to is in Santiago, Dominican Republic.

Last edited by MIKESILV; Sep 20, 2004 at 6:30 am
Old Sep 20, 2004, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I second the San Cristobal Tower recommendation. The regular adjoining Sheraton is good, the Tower is outstanding.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, AA, AS, VX, Hilton Diamond, Marriot, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Salt Lake City to Provo Hilton Family Recommendations

I am a Hilton Gold. My wife and I will be on several business trips to the Salt Lake City area south through Provo. Our main concerns our comfort of the beds, quietness, safety, cleanliness, parking, and quality of the staff. Additionally, my wife likes as many TV channels as possible. Any information and/or experiences about any of the Hilton Family Hotels from Salt Lake City through Provo would be deeply appreciated.

As always, thank you very much. :-:
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:09 am

I'm virtually living at the Hilton nin downtown SLC these days. The hotel is fine - reasonably clean and quiet (despite lobby remodel). Service is okay. The neighborhood is tourist friendly - plenty of acceptable restaurants, though many businesses for the resident downtown clientele close at 4:00PM or so.

There is an Embassy Suites down the street which is probably better, though more expensive. Breakfast, nicer rooms...the usual. I prefer the Hilton mainly for the gym.

Having not watched television since the sixties, I can't comment on TV.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:18 am

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Orem a number of times and it is fine. Nothing too fancy, but I have always been happy with the service and the accomodations.

I have also stayed at the Airport Hilton. The Airport Hilton is a bit worn, and like most airport hotels, not near anything except the airport.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RoadWeary
I have also stayed at the Airport Hilton. The Airport Hilton is a bit worn, and like most airport hotels, not near anything except the airport.
The Airport Hilton is the best chance for a nice upgrade and they have a great lounge with good food and free booze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.