Return minibar key?

Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Return minibar key?

I accidently swiped a minibar key from the New York Hilton on Sunday. I'd like to return it, but I'm a bit afraid to alert them to the fact that I took it in the first case. This is a hotel that seems to charge a fee for everything possible. I could mail it back anonymously, but then I wouldn't have it if they come looking for it. Or I could just do nothing.

Any advice?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I never accept minibar key when I check in....too damn expensive
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Originally Posted by mikey1003
I never accept minibar key when I check in....too damn expensive
I had enough self control to not use the minibar key. But not enough to not steal the minibar key.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:08 pm

People mistakenly forget to return things all the time.

Send it back with a note apologising for not returning it as you totally overlooked it (or something to that effect anyways).

What can they charge you for if you return it?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
What can they charge you for if you return it?
^ Wholeheartedly agree. There's your answer.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Terminology quibble

Hilton Hotels offers guests access to in-room "refreshment centers" at check-in.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold
I accidently swiped a minibar key from the New York Hilton on Sunday. I'd like to return it, but I'm a bit afraid to alert them to the fact that I took it in the first case. This is a hotel that seems to charge a fee for everything possible. I could mail it back anonymously, but then I wouldn't have it if they come looking for it. Or I could just do nothing.

Any advice?
Just do nothing and nothing will happen. The NY Hilton has the same minibar key for every room and you are not the first one taking these
Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:16 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I'd send it back with an apologetic 'I forgot to turn this in at check out and found it when I was getting ready to wash my pants', or something to that effect. You might get some comp coupons for your 'honesty' and good will attempt.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, US Dividend Miles Silver
I stay at one HH very frequently (which has a liquor store across the road)...front desk usually forgets to give me a minibar key so I kept one about a year ago and it just lives in my suitcase. While staying there I grab a 6pack or whatever across the street and I use their fridge...beats shuffling down the hall for ice.

cheers,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.