Waldorf Astoria Orlando {US-FL}

Old Jun 16, 06, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Arrow Waldorf Astoria Orlando {US-FL}

"Hilton Hotels Corp. may open as many as 10 Waldorf-Astorias around the world to take advantage of a growing demand for luxury rooms.

The company has received "some very significant and high-end inquiries" from developers interested in building additional Waldorf hotels, President Matthew Hart said in an interview Tuesday in New York.

Hilton announced last week the development of a Waldorf in Orlando. It will be only the second Waldorf in the world, joining the original in New York City.

Hilton is building the Waldorf brand to boost its share of the profitable luxury-hotel market, dominated by companies such as Four Seasons Hotels Inc. and Marriott International Inc.'s Ritz-Carlton. Rates for luxury hotel rooms have grown faster than any other segment since 1997, according to consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP of New York.

The 500-room Orlando Waldorf, along with a co-joined 1,000-room Hilton, will be built at Bonnet Creek near Walt Disney World.

Hart said executives debated about whether the first new Waldorf should be in Orlando instead of a more established city such as Paris. Orlando was chosen because of its growing demand for luxury rooms."

Complete article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ness-headlines
Old Aug 6, 16, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
No reviews or updates?
Old Aug 7, 16, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by B767capt View Post
No reviews or updates?
I've stayed there a few times over the last few years when we did some trips to Disney. Good hotel, rooms are very comfortable. It can be nice if you can snag a Best of Waldorf rate, which includes a $50 credit per night, plus drink coupons in the lobby bar. Bull and Bear is a great restaurant. I have been upgraded as a Diamond from Deluxe to Golf view - not much of an upgrade. They can be very stingy about late checkouts, usually no more than 1 hour. It's a nice hotel, but I would prefer to stay elsewhere.

FYI, they charge you a deposit to stay.

To be honest, if I you're going to spend this kind of money, I would rather stay at the Ritz Grande Lakes or JW.

Edit: no on-site parking, valet only.
jalves likes this.
Old Aug 7, 16, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sig05 View Post
I've stayed there a few times over the last few years when we did some trips to Disney. Good hotel, rooms are very comfortable. It can be nice if you can snag a Best of Waldorf rate, which includes a $50 credit per night, plus drink coupons in the lobby bar. Bull and Bear is a great restaurant. I have been upgraded as a Diamond from Deluxe to Golf view - not much of an upgrade. They can be very stingy about late checkouts, usually no more than 1 hour. It's a nice hotel, but I would prefer to stay elsewhere.

FYI, they charge you a deposit to stay.

To be honest, if I you're going to spend this kind of money, I would rather stay at the Ritz Grande Lakes or JW.

Wow. Glad I read this. I was looking forward to a 4 day stay here but I think I'll look else where. Wife and I are attending a wedding at the Omni down the road and really want to stay at a Hilton affiliated property.
Old Aug 7, 16, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by B767capt View Post
Wow. Glad I read this. I was looking forward to a 4 day stay here but I think I'll look else where. Wife and I are attending a wedding at the Omni down the road and really want to stay at a Hilton affiliated property.
Don't get me wrong; it's a very nice hotel. I just think that if you're dropping $300/night, you can find better hotels in the area. The deposit really annoys me since you're prepaying months in advance.

I would definitely stay here again, but it's not my first choice for a luxury hotel. Depending on what you're doing, it can be a very nice location and the next door Hilton has a huge conference area. The Bull and Bear is a must-do fantastic restaurant.

The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek is a decent option and significantly less than the Waldorf. I guess it depends on what you really value.

The WA just irks me because of the resort fee ($30/day) -

Unlimited Standard WiFi internet access throughout the resort and public areas (excluding meeting space).

Unlimited access to in-room local and toll free calls

Two (2) welcome drinks in Peacock Alley or Aquamarine - [welcome drinks are limited to a few beers and house wine - my emphasis]

Access to the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club putting green, including putter rental
Access to spa & fitness amenities Bike rentals (based on availability)

20% off merchandise and apparel at the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club Pro Shop

10% off pool cabana rentals (reservations recommended)

10% off Spa Treatments at the Waldorf Astoria Spa

I wouldn't consider those to be great perks
Old Aug 9, 16, 6:04 pm

Don't get me wrong; it's a very nice hotel. I just think that if you're dropping $300/night, you can find better hotels in the area. The deposit really annoys me since you're prepaying months in advance.

I would definitely stay here again, but it's not my first choice for a luxury hotel. Depending on what you're doing, it can be a very nice location and the next door Hilton has a huge conference area. The Bull and Bear is a must-do fantastic restaurant.

The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek is a decent option and significantly less than the Waldorf. I guess it depends on what you really value.

The WA just irks me because of the resort fee ($30/day) -

Unlimited Standard WiFi internet access throughout the resort and public areas (excluding meeting space).

Unlimited access to in-room local and toll free calls

Two (2) welcome drinks in Peacock Alley or Aquamarine - [welcome drinks are limited to a few beers and house wine - my emphasis]

Access to the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club putting green, including putter rental
Access to spa & fitness amenities Bike rentals (based on availability)

20% off merchandise and apparel at the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club Pro Shop

10% off pool cabana rentals (reservations recommended)

10% off Spa Treatments at the Waldorf Astoria Spa

I wouldn't consider those to be great perks
Yeah, I totally agree with you. The 330 bucks just hit my credit card too. I will be looking at the Hilton. Thanks again!
Old Oct 4, 17, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Plat; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Gold; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but wanted to clarify that there is on-site parking available in their garage. Its not valet only.
Old Oct 5, 17, 8:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but wanted to clarify that there is on-site parking available in their garage. Its not valet only.
There is a self-park pay garage connected to the Hilton Bonnet Creek. Waldorf guests can use this parking garage if you don't want to valet. However from the garage, you have to walk through the Hilton to get to the Waldorf. This can be a good 10 minute walk, although it can be done all indoors.

I have stayed at this property several times and it is a nice property. They often have reasonable prices during the off-peak season. If you are traveling with kids, the Hilton Bonnet Creek is probably a better value since they have the lazy river pool and the more family-friendly restaurants right there. If you are traveling as a couple and want a more serene atmosphere, then the Waldorf Orlando is the place to be. Guests at both hotels can use the other property's facilities and restaurants.
jalves likes this.
Old Sep 11, 18, 1:15 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Any recent experiences here? Upgrades as diamond/gold? How's breakfast?
Old Sep 11, 18, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Braswch View Post
Any recent experiences here? Upgrades as diamond/gold? How's breakfast?
No, but I'll be there in a month and can update then
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Gold; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
breakfast at the Waldorf Astoria is very good. There is a combination buffet and table service. Extensive offerings on the "continental" breakfast (more than just breakfast breads) and the full buffet looked great.
Old Oct 18, 18, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jalves View Post
breakfast at the Waldorf Astoria is very good. There is a combination buffet and table service. Extensive offerings on the "continental" breakfast (more than just breakfast breads) and the full buffet looked great.
My girlfriend and I stayed there 10/13-16.

I fully agree with Jalves. Breakfast is served in the Oscar's restaurant until 11:30 am. We had the full buffet one day, with offerings that included omelettes, crepes, waffles, pancakes, lox, and a dessert buffet. We had the continental another day and I thought it was ample (fruit, breads, juices, meats, cheeses, cereals).

We had mixed feelings on the hotel itself. Short version: We thought the property itself was very comfortable and the spa was great, but that the service just missed far too frequently. Our thoughts:

POSITIVES
- great pool area, doubly so because there was almost no one there
- friendly staff
- lovely, well-run spa--my girlfriend thought the treatments and service were fantastic, and reasonably priced compared to NYC (!)
- food was enjoyable, though nothing to write home about (we ate at Oscar's, at the poolside restaurant, and through room service)
- view of the fireworks from our balcony was great
- very nice gym all to ourselves (nice mix of strength, stretching, and cardio equipment and space, with a big open floor area with artificial turf and lots of light streaming in through the floor-to-ceiling windows)
- we didn't play the golf course, but it and the running/biking trail looked lovely and well tended
- Disney-view suite was generously sized and comfortably furnished, without any wear and tear

NEGATIVES
- We thought the service level just wasn't good. Fortunately, we really enjoyed the positives and, having read the negative service reviews in advance (e.g., see TripAdvisor), were expecting worse. The best I can describe it is that we felt the service was missing all the little things that really make service smooth and a stay enjoyable. Examples of service that I think fell short and, when accumulated, become a noticeable negative.
  • misplacing an important package we had arranged with the front desk supervisor to have delivered directly to the hotel
  • not offering to help with our bags when we arrived (neither at the curb or at the front desk)
  • leaving in the room the previous tenant's half-finished bottles of wine
  • coming in late to turn down the bed and insisting on continuing (or misunderstanding us)
  • ignoring the do not disturb sign
  • losing track of luggage
  • checking us out mid-stay (we had a split reservation) despite me confirming with the staff twice by email, once in person, and once by phone that that would not happen
  • billing incorrectly
My two cents.
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:36 am

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek in early October 2018 using Hilton Honors Points and the HH Amex 5th night free benefit for a Disney trip. I am HH Diamond. Had to ask for it at check-in, but we got an upgrade to a suite, which was very nice--room was spacious and very clean and very comfortable. Staff were all very friendly and attentive. Diamonds (and I think Golds) get continental breakfast buffet, which is extensive, with a wide selection of pastries and breads, cereals, hot oatmeal, fruit, cheese, and cold meats. The hot buffet, with omelet station is a $15 up-charge. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the Disney parks. We used it a couple of times to go to the Magic Kingdom and it worked well. MK is the first stop. The same shuttle takes you to the other parks after MK, so that would take longer. We used LYFTs to get to the other parks and back to the hotel.
jalves likes this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
It seems treatment of Diamond elites are slipping. They are sending out email a few days in advance to "upsell" suites, even for diamonds. Also a minor point, but usually they typically give out 2 drink vouchers as part of the "hotel resort fee" and 2 additional vouchers for diamond guests. They have cut out the latter vouchers for diamond guests now. Very stingy with late check-outs as they only offer 12noon as "late check-out". I countered with 1pm and desk clerk reluctantly obliged with a grudging facial expression.
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I just booked two rooms on points for 5 nights here over the President's Day week. 80k per night with 5 for 4 is a net 64k per night. Paid rate is $420 plus taxes/resort fees- and the other (upscale) HH properties are ~$300 with the Hilton BC sold out completely- so i think this is a good use of points. Two questions- is breakfast still the continental, or are they doing the $X per day credit? And re breakfast do kids eat free as they do in the adjoining Hilton BC? TIA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: