Waldorf Astoria Orlando {US-FL}

Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:56 pm

Planning on staying three nights here over July 4 weekend. I have the choice of 160K + a FNC here or $1100 for 3 nights at the JW Bonnet Creek. Points beats cash for me.

What's the Diamond situation like? Vouchers or free breakfast?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jbandy10
Planning on staying three nights here over July 4 weekend. I have the choice of 160K + a FNC here or $1100 for 3 nights at the JW Bonnet Creek. Points beats cash for me.

What's the Diamond situation like? Vouchers or free breakfast?
With the e-mail that just sent out from Hilton about breakfast benefit turning into credits, I'd just call and ask the hotel when they plan to make the shift. Email just says "early July." When I went in May, it was still continental breakfast buffet minus hot items.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:08 am

FYI, Waldorf desk just confirmed to me they are moving to credits as of July 1.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:21 am

I stayed at the Waldorf last month and I believe the continental buffet was ~$30 with the full buffet being $38. So with your $25 elite credit it shouldn't be more than a few dollars out-of-pocket for what is a very good spread.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:38 pm

This past weekend the continental breakfast was ~$22 on the paper menu they gave me. If you wanted the full breakfast buffet from the Diamond breakfast benefit, it was a $15 upcharge. So I basically ended up paying $20 each morning for a full breakfast buffet with tip.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:03 am

My wife generally doesn't eat breakfast, especially a sit down breakfast, so we'll probably enjoy using these credits elsewhere, likely for drinks at the pool or maybe for a nice dinner.

This credit makes a lot more sense when it's a $25 credit. Once you cut it to $12 at a property like Curio or Hilton standard brand, it becomes much less valuable.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Another instance where the credit works better in our favor. I'd much rather get the omelet than the provided continental buffet. I doubt we will eat there on both of our upcoming days either. I really wanted to go to Bull and Bear. $50 off that bill would be pretty nice.
jalves likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Just be aware that B&B is very expensive (and also very good) so $50 off will be nice but it will still be $$$$
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:49 pm

Currently here on a 3 night stay on points on a rainy July 4 weekend.

-Emailed concierge and kindly asked the day before if we could be upgraded from our standard room to a meager standard Disney View room (fireworks). They quickly upgraded us and gave me the option of the top floor for views. Views from the top floor do not disappoint. A balcony would have been nice, but on July 4, probably too much to wish for. I'm happy with the very modest upgrade on request.

-Our WN flight from ATL was delayed. We got to the hotel at like 1:00 AM. I luckily used mobile check in flawlessly and avoided a tired wait at the desk.

-First impression of the room is right in line with what you've heard. I get that Waldorf is supposed to be "old world luxury." These rooms just look "old" without the luxury. Tired isn't the right word. They aren't so much beat up as they are in need of a redesign. I consider the WA Park City to be "middle of the road" for WA and this property sits a step below, especially in the rooms. Yes, everything was functional. Big TV, shower seems fine. Coffee maker good. Wifi good. Curtains do the job. The bath looks like It needs a redesign. Overall, my wife agreed it just feels very old and it feels like WA didn't try too hard with the furnishing. These are all minor complaints though, and don't truly matter.

-Minor gripe with the room. We got in late and went to bed FAST. Halfway through the night. I woke up with a neck ache like no other. Turns out, housekeeping gave one bed all the real pillows and gave the other bed the vanity pillows. I got the vanity ones and paid for it. Seemed like a minor mistake that shows sloppy attention to detail.

-Pool area seems good. Not too crowded due to cloudy weather. I don't even want to ask what a Cabana costs. We will likely spend the day there tomorrow. $25 PP credit is being honored here. We are going to try some dining as well.

If you are paying cash, I really don't see why you would choose this over the Hilton next door. The value isn't there, sorry. It's worth it for 30K HH extra per night or a FWNC. If I was doing a cash stay, JW Marriott would be my pick over this place. The only thing IMO that qualifies this as a WA is the dining and maybe the service level. It doesn't feel like the 100 convention hotels sitting all around it. Thank God. But for 80K HH a night, it's pretty good. 95K would be a reach.

Edit - Some further thoughts after more time here. We actually had dinner at the poolside bar last night because most of the primary restaurants were booked up. To my surprise, the Caesar and Pizza we ordered we both pretty solid. Resort prices are in full effect here, not matter where you go. I got a medium latte at Hilton BC this morning and paid $6.15. Prices over at the Hilton seem to be around 20% cheaper on average, maybe.

Walking around the Hilton (soon to be a Signia?) this morning, there is no doubt in my mind I would probably just stay there if I ever came here again. Also, the Hilton is apparently an official Disney hotel, now. Interesting. It's apparent to me that these sister properties are more or less 2 sides of the same coin. The only thing setting the WA apart is basically Bull and Bear, which is open to anyone. You do get a bit of extra personalized service at WA. That's all. I guess I can see someone ponying up for the WA if they truly want to avoid the Hilton convention hotel vibe, but I'd warn that you are still not going to completely escape that feeling at the Waldorf. For what it's worth, if you are a Hilton captive, these are definitely the easy choices to make at Disney. The Disney Springs Hiltons all look abysmal, and yes, I've seen them up close. The Palace Buena Vista needs a renovation badly. If you aren't brand captive, and you're doing Disney do yourself a favor and take your business to the Swan. The location is Disney-optimal. The JW is great, but doesn't offer much to a Disney lover.
flockavelliFT likes this.

Last edited by jbandy10; Jul 4, 2021 at 8:07 am
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Just got back from 3 nights at the Waldorf Orlando booked using 3 free weekend night certificates from AmEx CC. As the comment immediately above mine mentioned, I don't see why anyone would choose this Waldorf over the adjacent Hilton Signia Bonnet Creek if paying with cash. Using points, I would still opt for Signia at 60k rather than Waldorf at 80k. As a Diamond, I was "upgraded" to a Disney-view room on the.....6th floor (standard room). Half of the building is "Disney view". The room was fine, although the couch, curtains, and some of the light fixtures look dated like they're from the '70s.

Due to using the FWN certificates, my reservation was actually 3 separate 1-night reservations which was a total PITA. Our room keys would only work for 1 night and then we needed to go back to the front desk to check out / check into the same room. I was unable to do that process on the 3rd day before going to Disney, so we (wife + tired toddler) were locked out of the room when we returned at 4:30pm. The Waldorf also arranged our transportation to/from MCO which they double-booked. I had to call the transportation company and apologize/cancel the 2nd reservation when there were 2 drivers waiting for us at MCO. I had also asked for a reservation at Bull & Bear and was told I'd be put on the waitlist and assured I would get in... only to find out that I was never put on any waitlist and didn't get a reservation.

The front desk at Waldorf was also annoying at checkout. 1 concierge not helping anyone, and 1 desk agent helping 1 person while myself and another 1 or 2 people were waiting for several minutes. Not a big deal in normal circumstances, but I don't think I've ever waited for a front desk person at Hyatt Place or Hampton Inns.

Overall, I see no reason to pay for the Waldorf. Stay next door at the Signia and get a reservation at Bull & Bear. I assume the AmEx Aspire $250 resort credit will still work at the Signia next door. The food we ordered from the Signia pool bar was excellent, and my kid loved the zero-entry pool. I took a chilly lap around the lazy river. I will gladly go back... to the Signia.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:04 am

To add to my comment from yesterday about my recent stay at the Waldorf Orlando:
  • All the food we had was very good. To be fair, I can be happy enough eating a sporadic breakfast at Hyatt Place, so take my opinion with a grain of cheap salt.
  • Bull & Bear was very good, but IDK if it warrants the price. Side dishes were quite large and we over-ordered food. Two people + toddler, 3 cocktails, 1 dessert was > $300 before tip. I'm from a LCOLA town so I am not used to paying anywhere near that much, even for our best restaurants we never exceed $200 for the 3 of us inclusive of tip.
  • Price ranges: 12oz can of Heineken from the poolside bar at the Waldorf was $9.xx. Old Fashioned / Aperol Spritz from all the other bars were ~$20.xx apiece.
  • All the drinks we had were very good: from the bar with the blue carpet (Peacock Lounge?), drinks at Bull & Bear (we were able to eat in their bar-area which has a few tables first-come first-served), and drinks at the poolside bar on the Signia side (Beech?).
  • Waldorf had a neat little 9-hole mini golf thing near the pool, cornhole, and large set of "connect 4", and a couple of ping pong tables outside.
  • Waldorf had a very nice workout room. It seemed comically big but I was there in the offseason.
    • Lots of ellipticals, bikes, treadmills. 2x Pelotons with big screens. Big wall TV that had on-demand fitness programs. Plenty of dumbbells, some nautilus machines, etc. Dip rack, pull up bars. Only obvious thing missing was there were no barbells or any associated racks (no bench press, no squat rack)
  • Nice pools on the Waldorf side, although we didn't use them at all
  • Awesome pool on the Signia side, with large zero-entry, lazy river, tons of seating, etc
  • Shuttles (coach bus) to/from Disney were ok. Their route is not clear to me.
    • First morning to Disney the shuttle arrived to the hotel ~10-15 minutes later than scheduled.
      • Waldorf to Magic Kingdom, to Animal Kingdom where we departed.
    • 2nd morning to Disney the shuttle arrived to the hotel on-time.
      • Waldorf to magic Kingdome, where we departed
    • Attempted to use the bus to return from Animal Kingdom in the afternoon. Bus schedule said it would depart at 2:50pm. We arrived at the pickup location around 6 minutes prior... then waited ~30 minutes. I called the hotel around 3:15pm and they said next bus is at 3:50pm. I explained the 2:50pm never arrived and was told to call an Uber and the hotel would credit me the cost. We did, and the front desk person appeared to give me the credit after returning to hotel.
    • Took bus home from Magic Kingdom on day 2. The route went from Magic Kingdom to 2 other parks (I think it was Epcot then Disney Springs) then back to the Signia and finally the Waldorf.
  • Hotel invoice is impossible to understand. The $50/day food/drink credit as Diamond is not reflected as a specific line item on the folio. They simply reduce certain charges by $50/day so you need to track what you spend if you want to ensure you get the appropriate credit. I ordered drinks at the Peacock Bar on 3 occasions and none of those charges appeared on my folio as separate line items. I believe they were added to my Bull & Bear charge. $47 credit for our Uber did not show up anywhere on the folio. I think they handled it correctly, based on my napkin math, but, again, it is weird that they can't simply show those amounts on the bill.
    • Now that I think of it, when I was checking in on the 1st day, there was a man at check out who was poring through a multi-page folio from his stay and asking questions about charges and credits, too. So it's not just me.
  • Service was really good at all restaurants / room service / bars. It was just the front desk check in / check out that wasn't up to snuff.
  • Bathroom in our hotel room was very nice with a shower and a separate bathtub, so we were able to give our toddler a bath the same as we would at home.

Last edited by perkunas; Dec 2, 2021 at 9:09 am
Old Dec 2, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by perkunas
  • Waldorf had a very nice workout room. It seemed comically big but I was there in the offseason.
    • Lots of ellipticals, bikes, treadmills. 2x Pelotons with big screens. Big wall TV that had on-demand fitness programs. Plenty of dumbbells, some nautilus machines, etc. Dip rack, pull up bars. Only obvious thing missing was there were no barbells or any associated racks (no bench press, no squat rack)
IIRC the Hilton's fitness room has a Smith machine.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:49 pm

Following up on my 2 posts from last week:

I went back through my emails and I received 9 different folios for our 3-night stay. It turns out they do show each and every room charge that I made as well as all of the various credits from Diamond status. All the info is spread across so many folios that it is still difficult to verify for accuracy. Some of the folios contained duplicate info, but they didn't actually charge my CC for duplicate folios. I created a spreadsheet to compare the folios to the charges that appeared on my AmEx statement and after wasting a lot of time, I think that everything is accurate.
  • 3-night stay
  • 11 room charges (6 meals, 3 bar tabs, 2 airport shuttles)
  • 9 folios emailed to me, but only 3 of those resulted in a charge to my AmEx CC
  • plus 2 other charges on my AmEx CC that weren't included in any of the folios [but seem to be for the correct amounts]
I do see they appropriately gave us our $50/day food and beverage credit for all 3 days, and I do now see they appropriately credited us for our $46 Uber when we missed the courtesy Disney shuttle.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:09 pm

Hello everyone! I’m debating staying at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando for 5 nights on points. The room rate is about $800 per night (ouch!) but the points rate is 80,000 per night which I think is quite good?

I am really unsure whether to take the leap and book or just reserve a Disney moderate resort and pay cash. There’s no way I would consider paying $800 a night for the Waldorf so I am just trying to decide whether it’s worth the points rate. Can you still use the pool at the Hilton Bonnet Creek resort next door?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Megan Murray
Hello everyone! Im debating staying at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando for 5 nights on points. The room rate is about $800 per night (ouch!) but the points rate is 80,000 per night which I think is quite good?

I am really unsure whether to take the leap and book or just reserve a Disney moderate resort and pay cash. Theres no way I would consider paying $800 a night for the Waldorf so I am just trying to decide whether its worth the points rate. Can you still use the pool at the Hilton Bonnet Creek resort next door?

Hi,

How much is the moderate resort? Disney hotel prices seem to have increased considerably in the past few years and currently there seems to be less availability depending on time of year.
Whilst you get the full disney experience , there are a number of comments on disney boards that the value for money at disney resorts is getting less ( ie limited or no daily houskeeping etc)
I suppose that if you are at the parks all day and using the hotel just as a place to sleep then a disney moderate might be ok .
I did like the disney coronado springs moderate resort with a beautiful lake ( this was before the gran destino tower and a club lounge)

I belive WA guests can use the Bonnet creek ( now Signia IIRC). 80k points seems to be very good value for money ( and if you stay 5 nights you only pay for 4 nights if you have hilton status)

Regards

TBS
jalves likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Dec 21, 2021 at 3:50 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.