Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa {US-FL}

Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa {US-FL}

Old Jun 4, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: HH-Diamond
check out Sandestin.com for a calendar of events

There seems to always be something going on at the Village of Baytowne Wharf and you can download a list of scheduled activities by type or date on the website. From Mardi Gras-lite parades on Tuesdays, to cooking classes and wine tastings, you should be able to find an activity or two if you get a bit too sunburned to hang out on the beach during the daylight hours. My boys enjoyed the Euro-bungy, Putt-putt, and driving a Segway on our last trip. We also rented a wave runner for a cruise on the bay and checked out a kayak on the gulfside which was included in the activity fee you'll be asked to pay. The "free" ones are not the boats in front of the hotel. They are a little bit of a walk down the beach in front of one of the affiliated condos. The staff renting beach chairs can point you in the right direction.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Stayed in the hilton sandestin last week and it was one of the best vacations i've ever had domestically. Got an executive suite, beachview balcony. (The junior suites have additional bunks, the executives do not).

Beautiful scenery, the beach was gorgeous and never too crowded, water was great. No 18-24 spring break crowd, which was very nice, though there were quite a few kids there with their parents. The hotel spa was given high marks by the young lady accompanying me. Food in the hotel was very good and at baytown wharf was superb (the seared maple duck at the french restaurant in baytown was the best duck i've had). Service was great, friendly, most of the staff was incredibly personable. All in all it was very relaxing and I'll be checking in again in the future.

The only downside I noticed? I seemed to be the only person of color at the entire resort. ...I guess it's called the redneck riviera for a reason.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the post, Oopsz. I've been thinking about a stay at this property and your glowing review has gotten my attention.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: hhonors,NW WP,National
What are the benefits for a Diamond at this hotel.. my wife and myself planning to stay over the easter weekend. good time to go? what are the spa benefits for Diamond?
Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:14 pm
DAL

Originally Posted by enkey
What are the benefits for a Diamond at this hotel.. my wife and myself planning to stay over the easter weekend. good time to go? what are the spa benefits for Diamond?
Thanks
I think Easter will be a nice time, there will be some kids there. I'm almost sure the spa isn't owned by the hotel, they are just located in the hotel, like the super swanky restaurant on the lowest level. You should get a pass from the hotel to use the spa's workout facilities as a diamond - I've seen different results online regarding this. I think the spa told me when I was there that I could use the workout equipment AND the steam room/sauna and locker room. This summer my husband and I both will be using the spa!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:43 am

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Hilton Destin Florida

I read that the Hilton Sandestin Florida had been remodeled. Any truth to this? It was looking pretty bad several years ago.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:13 am

Stayed there during the summer of 06 and it wasn't that great. Not sure if it's been remodeled since.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: hilton diamond
sandestin, florida trip report

Just returned from week's stay at Hilton Sandestin Resort. We had an ocean view suite which included a fridge, microwave, and wet bar (as well as a sofa bed and a table with two chairs). I thought the room and the bath area were in good condition. The hotel has two outdoor pools and an indoor pool. The indoor pool came in handy as a place to escape the sun (and heat) for awhile. The beach is lovely (soft, white sand) and the water was warm and clear with a greenish cast. I thought the public areas of the hotel were in good condition too. As a diamond member we received coupons for complimentary continental breakfast (which could be upgraded for $6 to a full breakfast). The buffet food was plentiful and tasty. Now the downside...if you wish to utilize the hotel's beach umbrellas (with two chairs), there is a daily charge of $38 - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? Note: either plan to bring your own umbrella and chairs or go to Wal-Mart and purchase some to use. I would suggest you do not support this form of hotel blackmail.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA Lifetime Plat
Any current reviews?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:55 pm

Hilton Sandestin Trip Report

Stayed for a week in late May 2008 at the Sandestin Hilton.

1) At least while we were there, the beach was wonderful. Powder sand, warm water, no jelly fish. $40.00 per day for a setup of 2 chairs and an umbrella. Of course you can always buy your own and carry it down. Sign claimed that it was a private beach. Beach was definitely a highlight of the hotel and the area. It is hands down the nicest beach I have been to.

2) Pools were nice, but can be hard to get chairs unless you "reserve" for a fee. Lots of people plunking down towels in the morning and then not using the chairs at all. There needs to be a solution to that type of behavior. Pool water was pleasantly warm.

3) As a diamond received 2 vouchers each day for continental breakfast. For an extra 8 dollars or so per person, upgraded to full buffet which included omlet station, belgium waffle station, as well as traditional breakfast items. Kids 5 and under were free.

4) As a diamond received two small Evian waters each evening and complimentary internet access.

5) Self parking is $10.00 a day. The hotel has a shuttle service to take you around the area, so a car is not necessary.

6) Fun area with lots of food options and shopping nearby. A solid 20 minutes from Destin itself. Took 90 minutes to get to Pensacola airport.

7) Room often didn't get serviced until close to 5pm - not a major problem, just later than most places.

8) There is a deli / coffee shop. Prices are rediculous. Gift shop was nice with more reasonable prices.

Room was above average - well sized, great ocean view. Small fridge and microwave. Flat screen TV. Comfortable bed. There is a tower side to the hotel which is more recently renovated, which is where our room was.

Spa and health club looked great, but never actually used it.

Breakfast was very good, interior restaraunts all looked good. Food at the outside restaraunt wasn't that good.

Elevators were constantly breaking - at busy times there were waits for the elevators.

Kids programs were very well staffed and well run. $40.00 per 1/2 day session including a meal (discounts available for multiple day commitments)

Staff was all nice, but many seemed to be brand new and didn't know much about the hotel or the area. Probably in May they start bringing on the summer help, so my guess is that was a temporary issue.

Memorial Day weekend was the official start of high season, and the change was quite perceptable... wait for breakfast, difficulty getting table for lunch. The first part of the stay was much more relaxing.... once the crowds hit is started getting to be a bit of a zoo.

Overall, I thought that the resort was great. I would recommend early May before the summer crowds start.

BJFly
Old Mar 30, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold SPG Gold Hyatt Diamond Marriott Gold
Any recent stays?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
There is a "spring break promo" offered at this hotel. Here are the T&C's

This offer is valid for stays from February 16, 2009 through April 30, 2009. Offer includes complimentary Hilton Breakfast for two adults for each night's stay. Children 12 and under eat free at hotel-designated restaurant but must be accompanied by an adult. Hilton Breakfast is not valid for room service breakfast, after departure or at another hotel. Other restrictions apply. The 20% discount relates to the hotels Best Available Rate, which is a specific rate type that varies depending on time of purchase, is unrestricted,
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:50 am

Thanks for the info, we are actually looking at a week in early May. The rates are a LOT less for a partial ocean view executive room. Does anyone know how partial they mean by partial? Is it worth paying for oceanview or beachfront? Have any diamonds been upgraded to a better view?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: Amex Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond,
Just got home from this hotel today. I live over in Mobile, so it's only a couple of hours away. We go ALOT...a few times a year at least. We last went the weekend after Thanksgiving 08, and then the weekend after New Years this year.

The property does have its pros and cons. With it being so pricey, I always call a couple of times to make sure I get a decent room upgrade, especially if I'm using points. (I refuse to use 40k points per night and get stuck in an accessible room in the basement with no view). I just used 80k points for 2 nights and got my upgrade to the Jr. Deluxe Suite Beachview/Poolview in the larger tower. I've also stayed in the smaller spa tower before and it's nice (those rooms are standard rooms vs. the suites in the larger tower). My room would have run me $469 had I paid for it this weekend.

The staff has gotten better and is friendly; they always make sure I get my upgrades. My main complaint about this place is that it's so damn busy. Crowds, kids, families......kids, conventions, families, kids....you get it. Lots of noisy rambunctious kids everywhere. The elevators are slow as a result of the masses. Good luck getting in the pool or the hot tub. It's packed the whole time. When we go down to the beach, we walk a few properties over to set up our chairs to get away from everyone.

I absolutely love the resort. The amenities are great, the rooms are awesome, the views are spectacular, etc. It's just not a place to go for peace and quiet, which we like. We tend to go mostly from November through February to avoid all the crowds (mostly the families with the noisy kids). During those times, it's chilly on the beach but still nice...and NO crowds.

Also, if you're like my fiance'e and I and like the peace and quiet, you might want to check out renting a cottage in Seaside or any of the other smaller, luxurious communities about 15-20 minutes away in South Walton County.

Don't get me wrong, I love this place as I stay there all the time. It's just a little too family oriented for me most of the time.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:20 pm

Thanks so much for the input JRA2000TL. I would personally much prefer Seaside, but we are taking our daughter & son-in-law and their one year old and I think they would prefer the resort. We are going in early May and have reserved two "king executive partial beachview" rooms strictly based on price (cheapest). Do you know how partial "partial beachview" is? Do you think we would be likely to get a diamond upgrade, or is it worth paying for a better room (not going to blame you if we end up in the basement, just want to hear more about your experiences)? There are so many different room choices at widely varying prices - I'd hate to pay an additional $75 per night for 6 nights for a slightly better view and the same size room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.