Search

Conrad Dublin {IRL}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
The Conrad Dublin in the news...

Masked raiders threaten staff with knives at Conrad Hotel

Staff at one of Dublin’s top hotels were threatened with knives by three men in balaclavas during a robbery in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Three men wearing balaclavas entered the five-star Conrad Hotel on Earlsfort Terrace in Dublin 2 at about 1am on Wednesday. Two of the raiders were armed with knives and threatened staff to hand over cash.

The three men fled the scene with a small sum of money. No staff or guests at the hotel were injured during the robbery and gardaí at Pearse Street are investigating the incident.
Please see:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...otel-1.3195583

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
Conrad Dublin 4.5/5

Conrad Dublin

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Conrad Dublin

Earlsfort Terrace Dublin, IE 2

Conrad Dublin 4.5/5 (0 Photo)

Conrad Dublin

My wife and me went to Dublin for my wife's birthday celebration.

We stayed at the Conrad for 4 nights.

I sent a message in advance to the Guests' Relation Manager to ask for a little gesture for the birthday and mentionned it also in the booking comments section.

At check-in, no upgrade was possible as Gold. I got the e-check-in room (mandatory system selection). No birthday special in the room either.

Our room was on the 6th floor (refurbished room I assume). Nice twin room (no King?). Expresso machine and tea kettle were available, with a nice selection of teas and coffees. Minibar was not stocked (?)

Standard bathroom with tub shower. Average.

Very good housekeeping.

We had afternoon teas at Lemuel, complimentary breakfast (as Gold) and dinner at the Coburg brasserie (closing at 11pm, difficult to find a place to eat in Dublin after 9pm). Food was great. Service so so for breakfast (hotel was full), very good at other times. At dinner, a very helpful gentleman helped us for choice.

Wines and cocktails were good value for money.

All in all, a very nice stay, check-in welcome could be warmer. An executive lounge would be welcome.

Conrad Dublin 4.5/5

Would you like to write a review on the Conrad Dublin?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sylvest941
Introduction My wife and me went to Dublin for my wife's birthday celebration.We stayed at the Conrad for 4 nights.I sent a message in advance to the Guests' Relation Manager to ask for a little gesture for the birthday and mentionned it also in the booking comments section.At check-in, no upgrade was possible as Gold. I got the e-check-in room (mandatory system selection). No birthday special in the room either.Our room was on the 6th floor (refurbished room I assume).
That is quite poor. Golds should still get an upgrade subject to availability.

But above all, if a loyal guest emails in advance, why not making an effort to do something special for their birthday?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:25 am

I'm looking at this hotel as an option for September next year and read a Trip Advisor review that said an executive lounge is being added. Does anyone have any information whether this is true and if so when it is expected to open?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:01 am

Our two [2] stays, November and December 2016, one [1] night/two [2] days each

In 2015 my fiancé and I had agreed to requalify for the Hilton’s loyalty program Hilton Honors gold status, so in January 2016 we pre-booked stays accordingly to achieve our goal.

We had stayed at the Conrad Dublin before, so this was our second and third stay in November and December 2016 for one night each, which I have combined.

The Conrad had gone through a major renovation and the restaurant and bar received a make-over too.

It was unrecognizable at first. The hotel had finally arrived at the 21st Century.

The interiors are inspired by nearby Iveagh Gardens, so there were flower arrangements and prints.

The chandeliers were inspired by branches of trees.

The Coburg Brasserie, an equestrian themed restaurant which felt modern and inviting and Lemuel’s Bar was inspired by Gulliver’s Travels. We liked both designs and felt well visiting both.

The reception had moved closer to the entrance. There were maps of historical Dublin behind it.

We liked the details, like mirrors with flower frames, the seating areas including a pink sofa, the marble and Art Deco elements.

A ball room was also located on the ground floor.

The business center and meeting rooms, named after rivers in Dublin were on the first floor.

The fitness center with TechnoGym equipment and the pub Alfie Byrne were on the lower ground floor.

Check in was done very efficient and the welcome was warm.

We booked a Deluxe Room and received one on the 6th floor.

When checking at the online application the Deluxe Room chosen for us had already the view (over the National Concert Hall, Earlsfort Terrace and the city) we wanted, so we kept it.

The room was large and the color scheme black, white, green, brown and anthracite.

There was a small hallway with a wardrobe.

The floor and one wall are wooden, which gave the room a residential feel. It reminded us of our stay at the Sherwood in Taipei.

A sofa was facing the comfortable king sized bed and was located underneath the TV. Obviously watching TV from the sofa wasn’t possible. We enjoyed sitting there for a chat and to have a light meal before our dinner at the Coburg Brasserie.

There was also a carpet.

The bedside lamps were unusual and reminded us about the Burren.

The modern artwork above the bed had us discussing what it was depicting. We came to the conclusion it could be inspired by the stairs of Earlsfort Terrace or it was a river, muscles or an arm.

The handles of our drawers looked like tree trunks or branches.

The writing desk was lacquered with integrated outlets, which were easy accessible, and had an elaborate base. There was a golden designer lamp as well. The desk was facing the room and located in the bay window.

Watching TV from the writing desk was possible. There were around 40 channels with lots of regional and international ones like Bloomberg, CNN and CNBC. The WIFI worked well at all times in the hotel as far as we remember.

Magazines available were Conrad’s own, the 30th edition Dining in Dublin and Travel Ireland. There was also a jogging map and suggestions by the concierge what you can do, when you have 1, 3 or 5 hours in Dublin.

The mini fridge contained two bottles of complimentary Conrad branded water.

We used the 24 hour in room dining, which was promptly delivered and correct.

The friendly member of staff and I chatted about my Doctor Marten’s boots. He liked them.

Our order included two Connemara cured salmon and one fresh fruit salad with a dollop of fresh cream.

When requesting the meal we were offered tap water too. It was a thoughtful touch, but we had our own drinks, so it was okay.

The presentation was beautiful and the quality of the food very high.

The cost was 38 Euro / ca. 44.30 USD.

There was also an iron and ironing board.

The bathroom was large with a sink, bath tub-shower combination and a toilet.

My fiancé surprised me by having requested Shanghai Tang bathroom amenities instead of the usual Aroma Therapy Associates via the online concierge. We have clothing from Shanghai Tang and know some of their perfumes, so we knew we would like it.

The water pressure of the shower was good and there were no complaints about temperature changes.

When checking in in December 2016 we had to wait for a bit due to a small queue.

We had booked a Premier Room to find out what the difference was to the Deluxe Room beside the inclusion of two drink vouchers per person according to the website.

At check in we received only one each, so I asked about it and received another set.

Late checkout at 2 PM was granted without problems.

The room layout and look were identical. Here are some of the differences we noticed.

The refreshment center could be stocked at request with choices of snacks including Keogh’s crisps (2.50 Euro / ca. 2.95 USD), Dormen’s Jelly Beans, wasabi peanuts and chili and lime cashews (5.45 Euro each / ca. 6.40 USD) or Benoit’s Chocolate Factory at 5.95 Euro / ca. 6.95 USD.

The views from the 7th floor were better than the ones from the 6th. While the differences in height sound small on paper in reality the difference was noteworthy as we found out.

The artwork was different too.

The room felt more luxurious due to the loofa, shoe polish equipment and more pillows.

We had also requested arrival amenities. The strawberries dipped in Valrhona chocolate and a bottle of Acqua Panna were already waiting for us. The strawberries were yummy as expected.

During this stay we had in room dining too. It included a beef burger with Dubliner Vintage Cheddar Cheese, home-made relish and twice cooked chips and a Croque Monsieur with Glen of Arklow baked ham, creamy béchamel sauce and Emmental Cheese on toasted sourdough bread and a fruit salad. The bill was 44 Euro / ca. 51.10 USD.

We used our drinks vouchers at Lemuel’s Bar. It was incredible busy, so we decided to make sure we would get a table by calling from our room to reserve one for later in the day.

In a separate review I will write about breakfast and dinner at Coburg Brasserie.

We would return again, if we are looking for a luxurious stay in the heart of Dublin. The Conrad beside the Morrison, A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel so far remain in our books the most memorable, stylish and luxurious Hilton options in Dublin, Ireland.

Here are some of our images we took during our November 2016 [our first stay post-renovation] at the Conrad Dublin, including:

Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to stay with them again in our future? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:17 am

Our dinner and breakfast experiences, Nov./Dec. 2016

During our two stays in November and December 2016 at the Conrad Dublin my fiancé and I had two dinners and two breakfasts at Coburg Brasserie.

The restaurant was very interesting. It was equestrian inspired, so there were lots of buckles, leather and other materials associated with riding.

When arriving one of the first things we noticed in November 2016 was the Henriot Champagne table, the art work and mirrors.

The Coburg Brasserie uses the Coravin System to pour fine wines.

The staff was friendly and attentive.

We were alone due to the timing being too late for lunch and too early for dinner.

Our meal consisted of two large bottles of still Uisce water, two Connemara Whiskey cured salmon with avocado and micro greens, one Freya's Schnitzel with salad, one corn-fed chicken with onion tart and peas, one cinnamon creme brulee, one lemon posset and to round it up one hot chocolate and two Patron Cafe XO.

It was classic with a modern twist, light and delicious. The most memorable dishes or components were the salmon, the schnitzel and the onion tart.

The cost of the dinner was 107.50 Euro (ca. 124.80 USD).

We were looking forward to another exciting dinner the following month.

Returning in December we had booked a dinner and breakfast included rate. We could chose a three course from the a la carte menu. Only the steak had a supplement of 5 Euro (ca. 5.85 USD). Drinks and side dishes were not included.

Unfortunately the only menu available was geared towards Christmas and much more classic and heavier than anticipated.

We also wanted like one month earlier a glass of Patron Cafe XO each, our favorite drink. It was sold out. We settled for two Tia Maria instead and Uisce water instead.

Our starters were a prawn cocktail with baby gem salad and chicken liver pate with fig, mango chutney and brioche.

The main courses were 35 days aged steak and rack of lamb with cherry and sage sauce. As a side dish we had seasonal vegetables, also 5 Euro (ca. 5.85 USD).

Our desserts were black forest fondant and a boozy mulled wine pear tart tartine.

The quality was as high as before, but the choices simply not completely to our taste.

The staff was attentive and efficient, even though they were very busy.

The bill was 20 Euro / ca. 23.25 USD.

As Hilton Honors Gold Members we chose the free breakfast as our My Way benefit.

Each morning we were brought to our table.

The breakfast is a mix of a hot and cold buffet and an a la carte menu.

The buffet was small, but had everything needed from juices to bread to fried and boiled eggs, smoked salmon and mackerel, different types of cheese, cold cuts, Killowen yogurt, pastries, potatoes, stir fried vegetables, bacon, grilled tomatoes and the infamous Nutella muffins. Of course there was much more including a gluten free corner.

As Gold Members we could choose a la carte items from the left side of the menu, like smoothies and buckwheat pancakes. French Toast was payable and cost 9.50 Euro / ca. 11.05 USD.

The quality was on both occasions good.

Service was attentive and staff had time for a chat about our plans for the day during our first visit. In December they were way too busy and receiving our a la carte items took a long time.

The buffet was overrun with guests and the staff couldn't keep up with replenishing things.

Considering our experiences we would return for dinner excluding Christmas and not join for breakfast again.

Here are some of our images we took during our Coburg brasserie visits:

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? Maybe, this depends on timing and purpose. ^
Would we want to enjoy a meal again at this restaurant? Maybe for dinner, outside the Christmas period. ^

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I just wish this property had an Executive Lounge.. otherwise, pretty nice.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Tale of Two Conrads

I had two separate stays at the Conrad Dublin in July, about two weeks apart. My first stay was somewhat disappointing, while the second was great. I had booked two "deluxe" rooms for my stay, and called in advance to ensure that they'd be connecting. While heading to the hotel I looked at the app hoping for an upgrade, and discovered that my deluxe rooms had changed to two "superior" rooms (a downgrade). On check-in I asked about this, and was told that they didn't have any deluxe connecting rooms available, so they had given us the lower room class. The front desk manager said that they could get us two deluxe rooms in different parts of the hotel, but nothing close. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased, as I had called and emailed in advance to specify that I wanted connecting rooms, and I felt like they should have either arranged them, or let me know in advance. Since they weren't going to change our rooms, I told them that I at least should get a refund for the difference in room rate. The desk staffer then tried to tell me that the rate was the same for both room types-- after I showed her the rate difference on the app, she agreed to refund the difference. Our rooms were a bit basic, but no issues, though I was a bit surprised not to see any Conrad Dublin sheep for the kids. I tried to get said sheep during the rest of that day, asking multiple members of housekeeping and the front desk staff, until finally someone gave me the sheep around 11pm. Overall the staff seemed very disengaged during this stay; we looked for the concierge at one point to ask a question and he had disappeared and the front desk staffers couldn't find him. I asked them about bakeries in the area for breakfast (we checked in early in the morning), and they weren't able to come up with any suggestions. The highlight of the stay was breakfast the next morning -- one of the best restaurant breakfasts I've ever had (and I've had a lot!). The selection was fairly extensive, the quality was top-notch, and the staff was very friendly and efficient. As a Diamond, I received buffet breakfast for the family, and was told we could each order one item from the menu. The staff also offered to bring hot chocolate for the kids.

After the issue with the rooms, I was tempted to switch my second stay to the Morrison, but decided to leave it at the Conrad. My return was to a completely different property. At check-in, I was upgraded to a junior suite, with the kid's room across the hall. They told me that if I needed connecting rooms they could downgrade us to the room category booked, but we decided to go with the upgrade. The suite was quite nice-- very spacious, with lovely decorations and artwork, as well as some board games and such (which entertained the kids). I was given drink vouchers for the bar at check-in, which I appreciated since there was no lounge. This second stay was much shorter than the first, and I wished they had given us the vouchers on that stay, as they would have come in much more useful then. Staff in the hotel were much more attentive this time- housekeeping brought extra turndown chocolates for the kids, and the concierge recommended a local seafood restaurant, and phoned over to see if they would do kids' portions. His recommendation was great, and worked very well for the family. Staff in the hotel were much more attentive this time-- Once again, the breakfast was excellent. I'd definitely stay again at this second version of the Conrad, but don't know if I was just lucky on the second trip, or they were having a bad day on my first trip...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
I always stay here when I'm in Dublin, it's become my favourite hotel there. It's true they don't have connecting deluxe rooms and I believe someone once told me that only the highest suite is connected to a twin for the kids. They should have been honest with you in advance of your first stay.
I agree, the breakfast is one of the best! Decent freshly brewed coffee!!

I am shocked to read you got a sheep and drink vouchers for the bar!!! After so many stays here not once gave I been offered that!! I will have serious words when I go there in September.

To be honest I think you were lucky on your second stay, I have stayed here so many times and only received a junior suite twice, and they are lovely. At least they have a seperate shower which the other rooms, superior and deluxe, lack. I hate having the climb over a high bath to shower.
wizla likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
I always stay here when I'm in Dublin, it's become my favourite hotel there. It's true they don't have connecting deluxe rooms and I believe someone once told me that only the highest suite is connected to a twin for the kids. They should have been honest with you in advance of your first stay.
I agree, the breakfast is one of the best! Decent freshly brewed coffee!!

I am shocked to read you got a sheep and drink vouchers for the bar!!! After so many stays here not once gave I been offered that!! I will have serious words when I go there in September.

To be honest I think you were lucky on your second stay, I have stayed here so many times and only received a junior suite twice, and they are lovely. At least they have a seperate shower which the other rooms, superior and deluxe, lack. I hate having the climb over a high bath to shower.
Thanks for the data point-- I'll make sure to keep my expectations low if I return. As far as the connecting deluxe rooms go, I didn't actually mind a superior vs. deluxe-- I was just annoyed that they downgraded me without mentioning it, and then tried to claim that the lower room type was the same price. Had I not been checking the app, I likely would have stayed there thinking I had received the rooms I had booked at the higher cost. Interestingly enough, at the end of the discussion, they looked at my next booking (also for two connecting deluxe rooms), and told me that they'd make sure to have those available/connected. So if they don't actually have connecting deluxe rooms, even the check-in staff don't seem to be aware of that fact. I wonder what they would have done if I had declined the upgrade and insisted on my connecting deluxe rooms? (probably just given me standard rooms again)

Good luck with getting the vouchers and the sheep on your next stay-- given that you're a repeat guest, it seems like the least they can do! As I mentioned, the sheep did take lots of persistence-- had my kids not really wanted them for their stuffed animal collection, I would have given up after the second try.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:07 am

Dublin Conrad (compared to IC or something else)?

I'm deciding between Dublin Conrad and Intercontinental, for 3 nights Aug 18-21. General sightseeing before heading out to the rest of Ireland. Not museums or anything, just walking around, going to pubs, etc.

Conrad 70k+70k+free amex weekend night; recently remodeled; as Diamond I'd get free breakfast. If Conrad had a lounge that would clinch it, but they don't. However I saw some reviews that said one was coming? I somehow doubt that is the case.

Intercontinental 55k+55k+free chase night (I'm Platinum, but it never gets me anything)
I wasn't too impressed with the IC London, maybe because we had a basic room and weren't around much since no breakfast. But IC Dublin is rated pretty well.

I guess I feel compelled to get a high value hotel with my certificates and points, but honestly we're normally happier at lower level chains as long as the hotels are in great shape. But it's only 3 nights so might be a good fit.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by qofmiwok; May 19, 2019 at 1:15 am
Old May 19, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
I always stay at the Conrad when I’m in Dublin. As a diamond and returning guest they treat me like royalty, I always get an upgrade usually to a junior suite or even one bedroom suite which are both lovely and have a seperate shower.
No lounge, but the breakfast is one of the best in Europe imo. Staff are amazing and nothing is too much trouble, the concierge and doormen are excellent and always ready for a nice chat.
Location is really good too compared to the IC, a lovely walk through the park and you’re in the main shopping and entertainment area with many good restaurants in the neighbourhood.
Enjoy your stay in Dublin.
qofmiwok likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:56 am

I personally don’t like Conrad. Not sure if they’ve remodelled but the last time I was there over a year ago, it was still steel and glass - very 1980s design.

Much prefer Westin with its short walk to Temple Bar. Alternatively Merrion with its understated luxury and close to a number of great restaurants.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:13 am

While I have no first hand experience with the Intercontinental, I did recently stay at the Conrad Dublin.

The hotel appears recently renovated and the room I stayed in appeared fresh and new. The staff were excellent and while I wasn't treated like royalty, I did receive excellent world class treatment from everyone on the premise, especially at their bar & restaurants. While there isn't a lounge, they will very generously give you about 5 drink coupons. As mentioned above, the free breakfast is excellent.

As to location, if you walk across the Park, it leads you to Temple street and all the touristy areas anyway. I didn't feel the location was an issue, since, in my view anyway, it was easy to either take a taxi or walk to whatever destination I was headed. I wouldn't let the location deter you from this hotel. It isn't an issue, at all.

Finally, I look forward to returning and will stay here whenever in Dublin without any hesitation.

PS - next time, what I'd to is head over to the shopping center across the park for a straight shave; haven't tried it, but, they appear to have an old world barber shop on the 2nd floor.

Last edited by Visconti; May 19, 2019 at 10:25 am Reason: Added PS...
Old May 19, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The Intercontinental is by far the better hotel although the Ballsbridge location won't work for everyone, I have always found it pretty good.

The Non refurbed rooms do look like something out of an old peoples home though but all are spacious and well appointed and its a nice quiet location with very good facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.