Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Dublin {IRL}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Just posted in the last couple of hours, although lacking the 1000 points in lieu of an upgrade, sigh...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by acysb87
Thanks for the update stifle.
Have a 2 night stay booked in August.
we'll be there in august also, for 3 nights (17th-20th). will we overlap?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
Originally Posted by stifle
Just posted in the last couple of hours, although lacking the 1000 points in lieu of an upgrade, sigh...
Ditto the lack of 1k points. Now, can I be bothered to e-mail DD.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Great stay....

We had such a wonderful stay at the Conrad Dublin a few years ago. Friendliest people in the world.

After checking in and having the view of the state concert hall across the street, our curiosity got the best of us and we walked over to see why everyone was so dressed up. Imagine our surprise when we walked across the street, only to be invited in by staff, informed that if we had the time and desire we were welcome to wait for about 10 minutes for intermission, and be invited to watch the 2nd half of Camelot (for free)!!! It was awesome and this was just the beginning of what turned out to be such a wonderful vacation.

We had a fabulous room....separate bedroom and very well appointed living room. In fact, we had a huge picture window that directly faced the concert and we turned the two chairs around and people watched.

Staff was very friendly and the location could not be beat. If you run, there is a great place to run at st. Stephen's Green.

There was a great little restaurant down a nearby alley called "Unicorn" that we went to twice.

We rented a car for a week....wouldn't have done it any other way...we had a blast. Avon Parting of the Water ?, loved it. Had a blast one day in Gorp. Drove to Kilkenny of course and just explored as much as we could.

Wanted to stay in a castle just one night so we stayed at the Clontarf Castle and was upgraded to the Royal Suite! We felt like we had fell back into time having dinner there too...that place was sooooo cool.

We'd go back to Ireland in a heartbeat.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I don't understand all these positive reviews about the Conrad Dublin. I stayed there for 3 nights in July and thought it was a joke. It was by no means of Conrad standard. To be fair, I haven't stayed in other European Conrads (just TYO, HKG, BKK, SIN, ORD), but I've stayed in plenty of Hiltons, including Hilton DUB Airport.

Firstly, upon [early] arrival I asked if a room was ready and the clerk said she'd have one in a few minutes. I asked about an upgrade and she replied "I won't be able to upgrade you if you're checking in early". So I replied, "I'll just leave my bags here and check in later so I can have the upgrade". She then responded "actually there are no upgrades". For a hotel with no exec lounge, an upgrade was important, but hey, if they're full, they're full.

My problem with the hotel is that it's just not good enough. Conrad is supposed to be a deluxe 5 star brand, but this place was such a let down. Small and non-flatscreen TVs, no separate shower, tired room furniture (all pinks, tans, beiges and fake wood), no wifi in the rooms (just wired - so 1998), a really small gym the likes of which you'd likely find in a Tuscaloosa Airport Hampton Inn with no pool/spa/sauna, and a breakfast that really was a let-down compared to the always glorious Hilton breakfasts that you get everywhere else in Europe.

Oh, and when I asked about whether there was a Conrad Dublin toy, e.g. a duck or teddy, I was told, "we used to sell ducks but not anymore". Is this so important? Of course not, but you expect a certain standard from a Conrad and this is well below that standard.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: Various
I had my first Conrad experience at this hotel back in 2009. I guess I never posted anything about it here, but it was one of the best experiences I've had in Europe. I'll try to post a couple of photos I took in a few days.

The room was somewhat small, but comfortable without question. High quality furnishings/bedding/linen, even if not the most modern. The staff were friendly/helpful, and one thing not mentioned so far, is that the Business Center does have free internet access terminals available around the clock.

The breakfast buffet was one of the highest quality I have seen anywhere in the Hilton hotel group. Toast made and brought out on a toast rack, good hot and cold item selections, including some yogurt in ceramic 'pots' that was superb, and the smoked salmon is from a local company (Wrights of Howth) that is some of the best cold smoked salmon I've eaten. ( I ended up tracking down where to buy it and brought some home with me to the US). Cold and hot beverages, including a 'proper' cup of tea were just beyond comforting (IMO).

I used the public transit for my entire visit, and recognizing where the bus stops (Earlsfort Terrace) near the hotel was a challenge, but worked out ok. The Tram/Luas was not really that convenient, as stops are on the other side of the park, and the Green Line (only tram in this area) only goes to points South/South East. The Airport Express bus drop off closest is at Stephen's Hall, which is a good 6 city blocks from the Hotel (if you have luggage).
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
So I take it there are no signature Conrad duck's in the bathtub? Or any sort of other animal in the room you can take home with you?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts in the thread do seem to indicate that.

Originally Posted by bthobe
So I take it there are no signature Conrad duck's in the bathtub? Or any sort of other animal in the room you can take home with you?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Conrad Dublin last week of June 2012

I am taking my wife to Ireland from the 26th June - 3rd July and was looking to stay in Dublin the first and last nights as we drive around the country. When I looked for a reward reservation on the 26th for the Conrad or the Hilton in Dublin there was no availability for about two weeks. Anyone know what is happening in Dublin at the end of June that would explain the lack of availability? Any chance of the diamond desk helping secure a reward reservation if they are at capacity?

I was able to get a points + money reward for the night of the 2nd.

cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not much showing on the tourism, convention & visitors or similar sites, so it may be they have yet to release rooms and rates? Nothing to be lost by calling, maybe a stay to be gained - or even contacting the property directly.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:03 am

I just got back from a 3 night award stay. The hotel is well situated in Dublin. The free breakfast was acceptable but not outstanding - it's basically a large buffet with few egg options (the eggs were always undercooked IMO).

I found the room to be very quiet, which was nice. Aside from that, I thought the hotel was acceptable but not outstanding. The concierge was helpful but seems more used to dealing with businesspeople than tourists.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Just returned from a 2-night award stay here. 100K points felt a bit much for this property, although it was a quite acceptable experience. Booked a classic king bed room. I'm gold, and after booking got the email offering free upgrade + paid upgrade options (subject to availablity). I was not expecting an upgrade as I knew the hotel was fully booked, as was most of dublin (westlife was in town....sheesh).

On arrival, check-in agent did not mention anything at all about upgrade, and only when asked was it confirmed that no upgrade was available. Was confirmed that breakfast was included, as was free internet. Room (710) was bigger than I had expected, and in fact a fine room, extremely quiet and great black-out curtains. 2 bottles of still water were in the room, and were replenished the following morning. TV control seemed to take notion to have a mind of its own at times, but we didn't complain about it. Good lotions etc in the bathroom. Bed was a large king, but really a bit too firm for my liking. Paper was delivered both mornings. Wireless Internet speed was ok, but for some reason evertime I used it I had to log back in again.

Car park was 15 euro a night (I didnt realise that you had to pay at the desk as opposed to the pay station in the car park, until when trying to pay at the pay station was asked for 136.50 Euro, which is the "normal" non-resident rate !)

Breakfast had good selection, but sausages were tasteless and scrambled eggs a bit creamy. But good fruit options, and bread/pastries and other hot food was good. great juice options including various smoothies.

Ate in the hotel restaurant 1 night. My fillet steak was excellent, my GF's strip steak was a bit tough. Menu had any 3 sides for 5 euros. We thought 3 would be fine between the two of us, however these are the smallest sides in history, chips (fries) consisted of 6 chips each 1 inch in length. The other two sides were of similar proportions. Dessert (bread and butter pudding) was quite tasty.

Location isn't bad...3 minutes walk to St Stephen's green and a good shopping mall, and similar to Dawson street which has good nightlife options for those that require it. 15-minutes brisk walk to the liffy. However in terms of getting to it by car, if coming from the North, mapping shows that you are constantly working against the dublin 1-way system, so much easier to take the port tunnel and the East toll road and come at it from behind, so to speak. The 2 tolls work out at 4.75 euro, but it is a much easier approach.

Last edited by tangey; Jun 25, 2012 at 5:00 am
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks for the good review! I just canceled our stay at the Westin because we recently made HH Gold & I wasn't about to pay the Westin €15/day for wi-fi & also pay for breakfast. Doesn't sound like a 5* property but should suit us well next month.

Originally Posted by tangey
Just returned from a 2-night award stay here. 100K points felt a bit much for this property, although it was a quite acceptable experience. Booked a classic king bed room. I'm gold, and after booking got the email offering free upgrade + paid upgrade options (subject to availablity). I was not expecting an upgrade as I knew the hotel was fully booked, as was most of dublin (westlife was in town....sheesh).

On arrival, check-in agent did not mention anything at all about upgrade, and only when asked was it confirmed that no upgrade was available. Was confirmed that breakfast was included, as was free internet. Room (710) was bigger than I had expected, and in fact a fine room, extremely quiet and great black-out curtains. 2 bottles of still water were in the room, and were replenished the following morning. TV control seemed to take notion to have a mind of its own at times, but we didn't complain about it. Good lotions etc in the bathroom. Bed was a large king, but really a bit too firm for my liking. Paper was delivered both mornings. Wireless Internet speed was ok, but for some reason evertime I used it I had to log back in again.

Car park was 15 euro a night (I didnt realise that you had to pay at the desk as opposed to the pay station in the car park, until when trying to pay at the pay station was asked for 136.50 Euro, which is the "normal" non-resident rate !)

Breakfast had good selection, but sausages were tasteless and scrambled eggs a bit creamy. But good fruit options, and bread/pastries and other hot food was good. great juice options including various smoothies.

Ate in the hotel restaurant 1 night. My fillet steak was excellent, my GF's strip steak was a bit tough. Menu had any 3 sides for 5 euros. We thought 3 would be fine between the two of us, however these are the smallest sides in history, chips (fries) consisted of 6 chips each 1 inch in length. The other two sides were of similar proportions. Dessert (bread and butter pudding) was quite tasty.

Location isn't bad...3 minutes walk to St Stephen's green and a good shopping mall, and similar to Dawson street which has good nightlife options for those that require it. 15-minutes brisk walk to the liffy. However in terms of getting to it by car, if coming from the North, mapping shows that you are constantly working against the dublin 1-way system, so much easier to take the port tunnel and the East toll road and come at it from behind, so to speak. The 2 tolls work out at 4.75 euro, but it is a much easier approach.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Not 5 star by American standards but a good place by European standards. The location is great. I'd go back. Just be prepared for room size. The rooms are small compared to American rooms but a good size for Europe.

Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks for the good review! I just canceled our stay at the Westin because we recently made HH Gold & I wasn't about to pay the Westin €15/day for wi-fi & also pay for breakfast. Doesn't sound like a 5* property but should suit us well next month.

Originally Posted by tangey

Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Currently staying at Conrad Dublin. Has anyone ever gotten a duck or animal at this hotel? They act like that have never heard of such when I ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.