Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}

Old Mar 11, 04, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3MM - DL - UA - HHONORS - HYATT - MARRIOTT - SPG
I stayed at this property with HH points 3 different times in February 2004 and would not consider paying Hilton $$ in the current environment of what they are doing / have already done to the HHonors program as this is one of the best, if not the very best HH Category 1 properties in the world.

It might depend on who pays for this stay as your Gold status will get free buffet breakfast / health club / Japanese bath unlimited access / and a likely upgrade to an 11th floor deluxe room with high speed internet whether you use $$ or points redemption.

If employer pay, then whatever you are allowed as you will earn roughly 1500 base points / 375 Gold bonus points / possible 750 bonus on base if you choose 50% or 500 miles (miles are better for 1 night stay at this rate) based on $ 151.06 current exchange. Choose miles would be my option here. Longer stays get the switch to 50%.

However, it seems likely this is not the case since you went to the trouble of posting and if employer pay, we usually just book a nice room within limits and worry about ways to earn more air miles/hotel points on something else.

Even though the rates they publish and charge at this hotel include all taxes, I have always received HH points on the total bill.

If you are paying, then using points should be a better option if you have the 10,000 points, unless you really need stay credit / to earn points or use your points at great redemption values.

If you value your 500 miles at 2 cents each, then the net folio charge is $ 141.06 (151.06 - 10.00 = 141.06) and you earn 1,875 points for the stay if $$, so the net cost for point redemption is 11,875 difference which is a usage rate of 1.19 cents each.

Considering the relative destruction of the HHonors program points valuation in the last
12 - 18 months compared to 2002 based ALON/GLON/TEEN increases and on very limited point stretcher awards available for 2004 in all categories and NO PC101 awards, and the fact that category 2 - 6 are 20k, 25k, 30k, 35k, and 40k points per night makes us need to realize that smart redemption opportunities are going to be quite limited.

I think it will be very rare when you can get a better value than 1.19 cents / point in these times except with 6 day VIP awards at very expensive properties.

[This message has been edited by CrAAzyPlatinum (edited Mar 11, 2004).]
Old Mar 11, 04, 5:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Crazy said it best - we used the Hilton NRT as a stopover to / from Micronesia, and spent 10,000 HHonors points. A good deal, and got breakfast, etc.

There are very regular shuttle busses between the airport and hotel, and there is a shuttle to downtown Narita from the hotel as well.
Old Mar 13, 04, 10:51 am
LLZ

Thanks for all this info folks. I feel much better about booking this for a MR and will be there in two weeks.

I actually called the hotel, since Hilton had NO EMAIL for this property to find out about breakfast. I was told, quite politely as you can imagine, that it was for Continental only. So, I was slightly disappointed until I read this thread.

The agent that booked the room for me on the 800-HILTONS number did give me a larger twin room that specifically stated panoramic views's on the upper floors so I'm happily anticipating the service there having read this thread and being a Gold evidently helps too.

Any suggestions on what to do see/do for one afternoon in NRT? I have the evening that I arrive which is pretty much dinner (if I'm even hungry), crash, the next day is a "visit Narita" day, spend 2nd night, then up for breakfast and head out to airport for 1:00 p.m. departure!

Short, sweet, and 70K AA miles!
Old Mar 13, 04, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take the comp shuttle to Narita town, take the stairs up to the bridge to Narita Station, and then take the long walk to the Temple. Lot's to do and see and shop and eat along the way.

I'm emailed you a link to a photo album, FYI.
Old Mar 13, 04, 3:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Hilton Narita New Tokyo International Airport - that's a mouthful!

BTW, "panoramic" is not a word I would actually associate with this property. You see the highways, airport, industrial space and a bit of countryside . Service, "hai," absolutely!

The hotel's breakfast is probably OFFICIALLY Continental (so the agents can not tell you anything else, part of a culture with plenty of hierarchy and low tolerance for directness, IMO,) but my recent stopover was similar to others' here, where they stated the "Continental" coupon was good for anything in the breakfast buffet.

You can take the shuttle into town and wander - and eat too. The Naritasan Shinshoji Temple seems to be popular; there's a shopping centre, I don't know about the Narita Tourist Pavilion. (I do now - see my later post in this thread, after another visit.)

One can do some touring at nearby Sakura (about a quarter-hour from Keisei Narita station to Keisei Sakura station by train), including Makata shrine, Tsukamoto sword museum and samurai house, Sakura castle and grounds. A little train and bus, lots of walking options. Visit the Sakura tour pages.

Japan is at its best, IMO, in Spring and Fall. Fabulous floral displays, and Fall in places like Nikko and Lake Chuzenji, make New England a tad pale by comparison.

BTW, how are you getting 70k miles, if you don't mind the question? Nice score!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
Thanks for all this info folks. I feel much better about booking this for a MR and will be there in two weeks.

I actually called the hotel, since Hilton had NO EMAIL for this property to find out about breakfast. I was told, quite politely as you can imagine, that it was for Continental only. So, I was slightly disappointed until I read this thread.

The agent that booked the room for me on the 800-HILTONS number did give me a larger twin room that specifically stated panoramic views's on the upper floors so I'm happily anticipating the service there having read this thread and being a Gold evidently helps too.

Any suggestions on what to do see/do for one afternoon in NRT? I have the evening that I arrive which is pretty much dinner (if I'm even hungry), crash, the next day is a "visit Narita" day, spend 2nd night, then up for breakfast and head out to airport for 1:00 p.m. departure!

Short, sweet, and 70K AA miles!
</font>

[This message has been edited by JDiver (edited Mar 13, 2004).]

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 04 at 12:25 pm Reason: clean up
Old Mar 13, 04, 5:01 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:

I'm emailed you a link to a photo album, FYI.
</font>
Neat. Thanks PremEx!
Old Mar 13, 04, 5:11 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JDiver:
BTW, how are you getting 70k miles, if you don't mind the question? Nice score!

</font>
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it too. FLL-DFW-NRT= (1119+6427)= 7,546*2(R/T)= 15,092 base + 30,184 (AA "triple miles bonus") + 15,092 Elite Bonus + 10,000 (AA 2nd Pacific R/T Bonus) = 70,368.

$1079/70,368 = .015 cents/mile
Old Mar 14, 04, 12:56 pm

LLZ, Gotcha! FFLL - DFW - NRT + 10k 2nd trip, and a good price to boot (well, we couldn't use the cheapest fares, but...)

I sure hope they repeat this "triple" bonus promo, and FLY04 as well, in the future, though I won't hold my breath. In spite of tlal the upset about what "triple bonus miles" means, I am not complaining about my new 225,000 or so miles.

Cheers, JD

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it too. FLL-DFW-NRT= (1119+6427)= 7,546*2(R/T)= 15,092 base + 30,184 (AA "triple miles bonus") + 15,092 Elite Bonus + 10,000 (AA 2nd Pacific R/T Bonus) = 70,368.

$1079/70,368 = .015 cents/mile
</font>
Old Mar 16, 04, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Does the hotel have a health club?

------------------
Sharon
Old Mar 16, 04, 12:32 pm

From the Hilton website:

On Site Fitness Room
Pool
Tennis Court

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SkiAdcock:
Does the hotel have a health club?

</font>
Old Mar 16, 04, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a Gold I got a comp admission coupon to the "Spa." Which I assume means fitness center. Never went near the place, I'm afraid. So I can't comment from personal experience on the facilities.
Old Mar 16, 04, 2:22 pm

Nor I - I was there making a/c connections to Micronesia, and didn't have any chance to make use of the facilities.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
As a Gold I got a comp admission coupon to the "Spa." Which I assume means fitness center. Never went near the place, I'm afraid. So I can't comment from personal experience on the facilities.</font>
Old Mar 16, 04, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3MM - DL - UA - HHONORS - HYATT - MARRIOTT - SPG

This is a great hotel for a category 1 and the health club / baths / spa are top rate for a Hilton or any lower category hotel.

They have an indoor 25 meter pool with 4 wide lap lanes, 2 German Ultraviolet 15 minute cycle sun lamps with 3 chaise lounges for tanning, a scented steam room and a jacuzzi in the pool area.

YOU MUST wear a SWIM CAP to enter the pool, no exceptions. They sell them at the health club desk for Y-1500. You should be able to buy one much cheaper at home.

There is a mix of nice treadmills, bike machines and stair machines - probably 10 - 12 total and they look fairly new. They have a nice circuit of weight and resistance machines for a workout, a walking circuit and a large padded mat area. Maybe aerobics or Tai Chi classes?

Inside the locker rooms, they have a very nice Japanese bath area. 6 stalls for bathing Japanese style with a typical setup, a huge sauna that fits 20 or more easily that is very hot, no swim suits allowed. I used it several times and was 96 to 100 degrees C -- 205 to 212 degrees F each time. This is likely much hotter than you are used to, so be careful. A hot bathing pool, about 10 feet wide and 25 feet long with a smaller cold plunge pool.

This is great to relax after a 13 hour flight. I used it after arrival and the next day on 3 different Mileage runs I did in February and used HH points which is a great bargain here at only 10,000 per night.

They also have a relaxation room with drink machines, TV, nice chairs and 3 massage tables with someone on call. Appointments are needed for massage.

Golds receive full complimentary buffet breakfast from 6:30 - 10:00 am.

Old Mar 16, 04, 7:23 pm

CrAAzyPlatinum, great report! I have to hit the hot water next time... Domo arigato gozaima****a

(Remember folks, in Japan, people wash FIRST, THEN make cannibal soup!)
Old Apr 3, 04, 10:23 am

Anyone stayed at the Hilton Narita?

Is it close to the airport?

Would you pick a different airport hotel?

Observations / suggestions?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: