Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}

Old Apr 12, 05, 5:58 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
Buffet breakfast includes American, Japanese and Chinese food. No worries
Old Apr 12, 05, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
What's in a Japanese and Chinese breakfast?

Glad they have American breakfast. I love bacon and eggs in the morning.

Does this Hilton also have some sort of internet access (either wired or wireless)? Doesn't have to be free, but I'm going to need to turn in some assignments online, and even with the time difference, won't be to my friend's until after the deadline.

I figure even if I have to pay, it can't be any worse than the exboritant rates I paid in Germany for wireless. 18 euros a day. Still cheaper to use that and Skype to call home than roaming though.
Old Apr 12, 05, 7:42 pm

While you are there, try and take a walk thru the town of Narita, up to the temples. It's a very charming little town, and is a nice walk from where the shuttle bus drops you off.

M8
Old Apr 13, 05, 9:42 am

How long of a walk is it? I arrive the day before my friends do for a tour of Japan, so I'm staying at the NRT Hilton that "early" night. My flight arrives at 3:20pm. Their flight arrives at 2:00pm the next day, so my plan was to go to the hotel for the night, then meet them the next day at the NRT Express before we head into Tokyo. That leaves me with the morning, and possibly part of the afternoon, and I was DEFINITELY interested in seeing the temples...
Old Apr 13, 05, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I planned on doing that.

How expensive are things in Narita (like food, any tours, etc)?
Old Apr 13, 05, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
I planned on doing that.

How expensive are things in Narita (like food, any tours, etc)?
I took the "tour" bus last year. (Okay, it was the public bus, I saw a lot of stuff) You can find normal priced food, but normal restaurants seemed pretty expensive. I was going to see a movie, but at $17.00 or so I just couldn't justify to see a 5 month old movie.

They have some inexpensive rice bowl places (Yoshinoya, I think). $3-$5 for a bowl. Pretty decent.
Old Apr 13, 05, 2:19 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Get the free shuttle from the hilton to narita town.Go up through the train station and straight out to the main road.Turn right and walk down the hill to the temple.It is a little over a mile I guess but could easily be done in a morning.
Food is expensive in Japan but the restaurants in Narita town are about the cheapest you will find-2 or 3 have suikiyaki for about $US12.
There are tours of surrounding areas but have not done these.Visit www.naritasan.or.jp to get some ideas.
Old Apr 13, 05, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I took the "tour" bus last year. (Okay, it was the public bus, I saw a lot of stuff) You can find normal priced food, but normal restaurants seemed pretty expensive. I was going to see a movie, but at $17.00 or so I just couldn't justify to see a 5 month old movie.

They have some inexpensive rice bowl places (Yoshinoya, I think). $3-$5 for a bowl. Pretty decent.
Do these rice bowl places have the option to put stuff on it (say like teriyaki chicken or something), or is it just a bowl of white rice?
Old Apr 13, 05, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drron
Get the free shuttle from the hilton to narita town.Go up through the train station and straight out to the main road.Turn right and walk down the hill to the temple.It is a little over a mile I guess but could easily be done in a morning.
Food is expensive in Japan but the restaurants in Narita town are about the cheapest you will find-2 or 3 have suikiyaki for about $US12.
There are tours of surrounding areas but have not done these.Visit www.naritasan.or.jp to get some ideas.
Thanks. I'll check those out.
Old Apr 13, 05, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by drron
I can validate all of the above, except you walk DOWN the hill and then UP another hill. The temple complex is on the top of the hill. The road is winding and picturesque. Take your time and your digicam. You can do this in a morning or afternoon, or split the day over both. The food is cheaper that what you will get at the hotel. The concierge staff at the Hilton is very helpful and very polite. They will answer your questions. No tipping.

M8
Old Apr 13, 05, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
I can validate all of the above, except you walk DOWN the hill and then UP another hill. The temple complex is on the top of the hill. The road is winding and picturesque. Take your time and your digicam. You can do this in a morning or afternoon, or split the day over both. The food is cheaper that what you will get at the hotel. The concierge staff at the Hilton is very helpful and very polite. They will answer your questions. No tipping.

M8
Ok ... you bring up a question. Is it proper to tip at all in Japan, or is everything all-inclusive in the price?
Old Apr 14, 05, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
Ok ... you bring up a question. Is it proper to tip at all in Japan, or is everything all-inclusive in the price?
No tipping at all.

BTW, the train stuff is pretty cool. They are on time to the second. The onboard monitors on the trains and subways are now in English, which makes the travel easier.

I would suggest you get a phrase book also. Japan is still very monolingual, however the Japanese are so very polite, and very willing to help.

If you get a chance, visit one of the English speaking bars. Here Japanese go to meet other Japanese so that they can practice their English. It's a special treat when a Gringo walks in. However, these are not pick up joints.

Enjoy your trip.

M8
Old Apr 14, 05, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
No tipping at all.
Except when staying at a ryokan.
Old Apr 14, 05, 6:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Lightbulb Don't give the Narita area short shrift - it has lots to offer.

The Hilton Narita is best done as a 10,000 point stay - then it's a bargain! As Gold or Diamond, you wil get vouchers for breakfast - they admit you to the restaurant with buffet, and though it states Continental brkeafast, every time I have been told to take anything. And they practically do have anything, Japanese, extended American, egg station, you name it you can get it. As to rooms, they are very similar, in spite of all the different designations.

When you arrive at Narita airport, stop at the kiosk on your way out and load up on brochures and maps for the sights I describe below...

As to the area, enjoy it - take the shuttle to Narita-shi, walk up Ometesando to the Narita-san Shinshoji Temple and gardens. You'll see a ceremony if you wait a bit - colorful procession with big gongs, bunring of the "goma-fuda" etc. Wander the parklike gardens - on weekends there are usually traditional concerts held in the gazebo by the lovely reflecting pond, nice samisen and shakuhachi music, or you might catch an outdoor celebration of "chanoyu", the traditional Japanese tea ceremony. In spring and fall, the sakura (cherry blossoms) and koyo displays (autumn leaf displays) can be very colorful. The website includes a map.

Afterward, walk back on Ometesando, stop in for a Japanese meal or go to the Barge Inn, a pub owned, iirc, by some Virgin Atlantic people.

Or, take a day and visit Sakura and the ancient castle grounds, home to Rekihaku, the National Museum of Japanese History. Or Boso-no-Mura village, with its living interactive showplace of ancient Japanese culture. These are easily accessible to Narita-shi, and inexpensive short day trips.

Mike Newman's Narita Layover page has some good information.

BTW, avoid the Hilton Narita's total ripoff, poor quality Matsukaze Japanese restaurant on the second floor. In my 40 years of visiting Japan, this was the nadir of my eating experience, for the value.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 05 at 7:19 pm Reason: add Matsukaze caveat
Old Apr 14, 05, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great tips. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: