Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Guam Resort & Spa {GUM}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
At the hotel. It's dated. The lounge is mediocre: food is so-so, alcohol is served at cocktail time, but the white wine I got was not very good, there are signs saying if you take food away you will be charged. Parking. Oh my. All the close in spaces are reserved for taxis, and businesses and are often empty.

Was not upgraded. In the main tower (room I booked).

Shuttle is $15 one way (I asked). Visitor info says taxis from airport to hotels in this area are $15.

Roys (restaurant) is quite good.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, JAL JGC Sapphire
Just had a 3 night stay at the property and unfortunately it has really gone downhill significantly.

As a start, there were 11 of us staying at this hotel all coming to attend a wedding (chosen to stay at Hilton as per my recommendation from my 2 previous stays). I had e-mailed the hotel 4 weeks prior to sort out some arrangements, to advise them of our arrival details and also of some packages that I have sent to the hotel. I did not get any response from the hotel despite 3 chasers over a 2 week period (and also I found the e-mail of the GM and forwarded the e-mail over). Eventually I had to call up reservations to ask about this, and when enquired why I wasn't responded to on the hotel's official e-mail address, I was advised that they were "too busy" and did not have time to deal with this (great start).

We arrived at the hotel and were advised that we have been given a Premier Ocean View Room. I had checked the Hilton website before we arrived and see that the hotel was still selling rooms in higher categories, but the front desk agent did not offer me any other rooms at all. It took a few times asking and a lot of persuasion to get them to upgrade my room (but not for the night, instead for the night after onwards). What got better was that when we got up to the room, it was looking at the hotel drive way and had absolutely no views of the Ocean at all. Went back down to the front desk and the girl was like "oh I thought it was an Ocean view room" without any apology or offer to move us.

To be honest at this point in time I was very fed up with the hotel, fortunately later on I got to speak to Assistant Front Desk Manager Edward who tried to make things right by us, and try to move us to the right rooms and to accommodate our room arrangements as much as possible. If it wasn't for Edward's proactive service I would have already rang the Diamond desk to file a complaint immediately.

Also to note - we were eventually upgraded to a Tasi room (which is slightly nicer after the renovation, but still feels dated which is sad considering they have only just finished the renovation mid year) but a problem is that all the people manning the Tasi check-in (supposedly the premium wing of the hotel) were all staffed by trainees. Many of those trainees unfortunately have no customer service skills or just did not appear that they wanted to be there.

It was very sad to see the decline of the hotel from our fantastic stays 2-3 years ago to the state it currently is right now, and I hope Hilton will do something about it to make it right again as it has so much potential.

In short - if you were visiting Guam, unless you can pre-arrange anything with the hotel to ensure they can look after you (provided that they care about reading your e-mail in the first place), don't bother with this Hilton.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by kevinyhli
Just had a 3 night stay at the property and unfortunately it has really gone downhill significantly.

As a start, there were 11 of us staying at this hotel all coming to attend a wedding (chosen to stay at Hilton as per my recommendation from my 2 previous stays). I had e-mailed the hotel 4 weeks prior to sort out some arrangements, to advise them of our arrival details and also of some packages that I have sent to the hotel. I did not get any response from the hotel despite 3 chasers over a 2 week period (and also I found the e-mail of the GM and forwarded the e-mail over). Eventually I had to call up reservations to ask about this, and when enquired why I wasn't responded to on the hotel's official e-mail address, I was advised that they were "too busy" and did not have time to deal with this (great start).

We arrived at the hotel and were advised that we have been given a Premier Ocean View Room. I had checked the Hilton website before we arrived and see that the hotel was still selling rooms in higher categories, but the front desk agent did not offer me any other rooms at all. It took a few times asking and a lot of persuasion to get them to upgrade my room (but not for the night, instead for the night after onwards). What got better was that when we got up to the room, it was looking at the hotel drive way and had absolutely no views of the Ocean at all. Went back down to the front desk and the girl was like "oh I thought it was an Ocean view room" without any apology or offer to move us.

To be honest at this point in time I was very fed up with the hotel, fortunately later on I got to speak to Assistant Front Desk Manager Edward who tried to make things right by us, and try to move us to the right rooms and to accommodate our room arrangements as much as possible. If it wasn't for Edward's proactive service I would have already rang the Diamond desk to file a complaint immediately.

Also to note - we were eventually upgraded to a Tasi room (which is slightly nicer after the renovation, but still feels dated which is sad considering they have only just finished the renovation mid year) but a problem is that all the people manning the Tasi check-in (supposedly the premium wing of the hotel) were all staffed by trainees. Many of those trainees unfortunately have no customer service skills or just did not appear that they wanted to be there.

It was very sad to see the decline of the hotel from our fantastic stays 2-3 years ago to the state it currently is right now, and I hope Hilton will do something about it to make it right again as it has so much potential.

In short - if you were visiting Guam, unless you can pre-arrange anything with the hotel to ensure they can look after you (provided that they care about reading your e-mail in the first place), don't bother with this Hilton.
This is disheartening to hear. I'm heading out at the end of January for my 11th annual trip. Hope my experience is better.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I'm also heading out at the end of January. I was there maybe two years ago and had a much better time than you did. I found the staff at the Tasi side extremely enthusiastic (and younger than at the main hotel). I also got a nice personalized note from the GM with some sort of gift (fruit plate, maybe) in my room - as a mere Silver.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
There and back. I had a much better experience than Kevin - very much like my last time. Booked a Tasi King, got a Tasi Suite, which was enormous. I don't think it was dated at all. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Yes, the staff was young, but they were quite competent.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:59 pm

Early saver BB rate in Guam

I'm considering reservation of TASI ROOM in Guam Hilton. The room provides acceess to TASI lounge and TASI lounge breakfast.
In the site, I could find early saver BB rate.
​​​​​​Does the breakfast mean normal buffet breakfast, not Tasi lounge breakfast?
In other words, in the reservation option, can we choose normal buffet breakfast or Tasi lounge breakfast?
Thanks for you.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Tasi wasn't there when I stayed a few years back. As it is being billed as a "hotel within a hotel" I'm not sure you would be able to get access to the primary property breakfast but would suggest you contact the hotel to be sure.

When I was there, I was given access to the Diamond lounge and the Tasi lounge sounds similar. Breakfast in the morning, high tea mid day and dinner snacks and drinks. While breakfast in the Diamond lounge was available. we could also eat in the buffett (and we did every morning. Really loved the different options).

If you don't get a response here, you may want to just contact the hotel directly. ([email protected]) That way you'd have something in writing should there be a problem after checking in.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
How is the hotel in 2019?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I stayed mid 2018 and hotel was overcrowded and tired, however I got decent sea view room which was standard reward and access to Executive Lounge for breakfast. I was told, I can't have free breakfast in main restaurant. I'm gold. They also changed my preference for breakfast, so I got points.

I would stay again using points, because location was good, free parking and decent swiming in the bay.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I was so happy to peruse this thread, encompassing the second half of my 19 years residing on Saipan. (In the early 1980s, I also lived 19 months on Guam.)

After a decade living on the mainland, I may be moving back to "gatbo na Islas Marianas".

I would so look forward to returning to the Guam Hilton (and Westin) again, and also checking out the Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort.

By the way, "tasi" means "ocean" in Chamorro.

Does anyone know whether the Guam Hilton charges a resort fee?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Marianas Variety - Guam hotel occupancy declines as tourist cancellations rise
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer

Does anyone know whether the Guam Hilton charges a resort fee?
Hafa Adai,

They do not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:29 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Hilton Guam 2021 Update?

Any recent (2021) updates on this hotel? I stayed one night in 2018 and will be returning for a week in late January 2022 (hopefully) and considering a Tasi room.

DEN
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Originally Posted by DEN
Any recent (2021) updates on this hotel? I stayed one night in 2018 and will be returning for a week in late January 2022 (hopefully) and considering a Tasi room.

DEN
Stayed here for one night over the weekend. Proof of vaccination solicited upon check-in, similar procedures at F&B outlets. If you have a local or military ID, you can get special rates (sometimes with added benefits like early check-in/late check-out) at the Hilton and other hotels on island. However, the member prepaid rate can sometimes undercut those rates which is rarely the case at Guam's other loyalty hotels. What's open: Roy's is fine dining, Islander Terrace is main restaurant with buffet dining, and Caffe Chino is quick bites and casual sit down, Tree Bar is pool dining. What's Closed: Fisherman's Cove and Tropics BBQ, while Fisherman's Express items are being sold at Caffe Chino.

There are three wings in the hotel. Tasi>Premier>Main. But with the soft renovations at Main and Tasi, I would rank as Tasi>Main>Premier. The lobby area also received a soft reno in the recent years. Tasi guests used to get extra benefits called Tasi Reserve, but this seems to have died. Diamond members get breakfast at Islander Terrace, and access to the Tasi Lounge Cocktail hour. Premier Lounge is still closed as of now, but the Tasi Lounge is Grab-N-Go from 5pm-7pm. The Grab-N-Go option consists of one soft drink or beer, siomai, and a sandwich. It's nothing special tbh. You can also eat or hang out in the Tasi Lounge from 5pm-9pm. There's also a few Diamond parking spots near the main entrance, but these are usually full.

IME, the Hilton is the weakest Guam property on upgrades for loyalty members. You're guaranteed at least a one category upgrade, of what is operationally available. Meaning, if the hotel blocks (not sells) an entire room category, you're allowed to upgrade into the next avail category. So for a while, a Main Junior Suite could upgrade into a Tasi Suite. Upgrades to a suite are not common (relative to the local Bonvoy and Hyatt counterparts) and require a bit of rigamarole and manager approval. If you do. it will likely be in the same building (Main to Main Business/Junior Suite, Premier to Premier Suite, Tasi to Tasi Suite).

There's also soft blocking at the hotel for prearrivals. Meaning a room could still be booked directly, but not open to upgrades (even paid ones). I don't agree with this. However, if you can swing it, you can book the Tasi Executive Suite (as low as $417+11%) and if avail, get upgraded to the Presidential Suite (as low as $712+11%) which comes with 2Br with Main Bedroom essentially a Junior Suite, 2.5 Bathroom, Massive Dressing Room, full Kitchen, a Living Room, a Dining Room, and 3 patios.

Most would rank the Guam properties as Hyatt>Westin>Hilton>Sheraton while my preference is Hyatt>Sheraton>Hilton>Westin. Overall, the Hilton and the rest of Guam hotels continue to price higher than the product offered due to expensive labor and supply cost, and the significant portion of military guests that skew price insensitive.

https://www.hiltonguamresort.com/ and https://www.hilton-guam.com/ (use Chrome to auto translate) are great resources. You can find room layouts, dining hours, and even reserve seating/order online. If you have any questions, please lmk.
SPN Lifer, EqualOpp, DEN and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ALGU; Nov 7, 2021 at 12:25 pm
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:44 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the detailed update, it’s always nice knowing what you are stepping into. I ended up booking a Tasi room for January.

DEN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.