FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-AZ} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/553511-arizona-biltmore-waldorf-astoria-resort-us-az.html)

ByrdluvsAWACO Apr 30, 2006 6:58 pm

Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-AZ}

I'm thinking of doing a couple of stays at this property when the rates come crashing down in the summer. Can anyone relay their experience at this hotel as a Diamond or even a Gold?

BNAChairman May 5, 2006 8:50 am

I'll let your know after I'm there next week. I'm actually trying to get moved, though, since they won't offer HH points until June 1. :td: They won't retroactively credit the stay after June 1, either. It's all very interesting since they plastered the name of this property all of their web site and they aren't even ready to issue HH points for stays.

dankyone May 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Hmmm...

I am checking in tomorrow (May 31st) and departing June 1st...I certainly hope I get HHonors points! I would not have booked there if the place were not "plastered all over the Hilton website" so I hope this stay does not result in a nasty surprise!

SanDiego1K May 30, 2006 8:51 pm

Here's a recent thread on the Biltmore in the Luxury Hotel forum. It will give you some impression of the property, though of course it has no information on its treatment of Hilton elites.

dankyone Jun 1, 2006 11:01 pm

Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa Trip Reports and Reviews

This was a disappointing stay, but I did warm up to the place a little by the time I left. If you arrived expecting a regular Hilton, you would be very pleasantly surprised, but if you arrived expecting a stay at supposedly one of Hilton's very best properties you would likely be disappointed or even upset.

The arrival procedure was awkward at best. LOTS of valet/door staff standing around doing nothing. LOTS of front desk staff standing around looking puzzled. Literally, the first agent I approached yelled to her colleague, "Hey Mary, can you help this guy?"

I presented my HHonors card and the agent said "We're not giving Hilton points until tomorrow."

My room was not in the main building and I asked if it would be easier to valet or to self park. "Valet is $21 and self park is $7," was the reply.

I didn't ask what the prices were, I asked what was easier...when pressed, the young woman admitted she didn't know. "You never have to walk more than 10 minutes to get anywhere," she added. This was no great comfort to me given it was 105 degrees out and I had my business clothes on.

The self parking was VERY far from the rooms, but the valet was probably about the same. Very poor situation for parking.

The room was somewhat large, with new carpeting. Otherwise very standard for a Hilton type property. I was on the first floor and I had a very large patio with a dining table, 2 chairs and a lounge chair outside. The upper floors had no balconies in my wing (Paradise.)

Beds are pretty good, similar to the new Hilton bed. A/C worked extremely well, which was a nice benefit. Bathroom had 2 sinks, but was small. There were signature bath products which were better than the standard Hilton ones but nothing fantastic.

The spa is horribly outdated and almost substandard, but the gym was pretty good and offered complementary coffee/tea/iced tea. On the plus side, access to the spa facilities was free.

There does not appear to be any sort of lounge and no HHonors breakfast or recognition of any kind was offered, but this may change as of today (June 1.)

The grounds are extensive and the exterior of the buildings is quite attractive. HOWEVER, the pool decks and chairs are crumbling and nothing is really in the luxury category at all. In fact, given the competition in the neighborhood, this is firmly a second (if not third) tier property.

Overall, the staff is very inconsistent. Most seem to know little or nothing about the property and seem to be college age employed for the summer, not real hotel people. However, I had a great experience in one of the main bars after food service had stopped...a waitress offered me a room service menu, called in an order for me, and had it delivered seamlessly to my table in about 10 minutes. This was really the only unusually good service I experienced at the hotel.

I would consider this a great place to take kids to use the pools etc. if you got a good rate. It was a very poor choice for a business trip given the necessity to walk outdoors in the heat. I assume I will get HHonors credit...but absent this I would stay at the RC on Camelback given similar price points when visiting this neighborhood in the future.

Far and away my preference is for the Phoenician in PHX...but they were still asking $395/night which was out of my budget for this trip. The Biltmore's facilities and clientele are reflective of the significantly lower rate ($219.) I think it is a huge mistake on Hilton's part to market this place as one of their prestige properties...I am not likely to return and I would certainly not spend the number or points required for a reward stay.

Gilly Jul 11, 2006 8:28 am

Bumping this up to see if anyone has stayed here since June 1st. My husband and I were considering this for a "babymoon" but wanted more info before we committed to it.

Thanks!
Erin

bnarayan1511 Jul 16, 2006 8:16 am

Another bump

I too, am considering a stay here this weekend (July 21-24) and am wondering if someone could post a recent experience as a Diamond at this property. Reading some of the other posts for Phoenix area resorts, I've narrowed it down to the Biltmore, Tapatio Cliffs, Squaw Peak or Scottsdale resort.

FT, please share your collective infinite wisdom and tell me the best option :)

ThWilmesi Jul 22, 2006 12:26 pm

Anybody with recent experiences at Arizona Biltmore, Diamond treatment?

I am planning a trip into the Phoenix area and was contemplating a stay at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel. Since it has been branded a Waldorf Luxury Collection Hotel has anybody had a recent trip. I would be most interested in comments about the quality and size of the rooms, dining experiences and most of all what can I expect as a Hilton HHonors Diamond.

Thanks for all your responses

Thomas

geoffco Aug 29, 2006 11:48 am

I'll follow the previous posters with another bump of this thread. Any recent experiences to share? I'm thinking about staying there this weekend. $129/night seems like a very good rate. Thanks!!

Edit: found some more info with another search ^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...izona+biltmore.

Bondiboy Aug 29, 2006 12:04 pm

No recent experiences - but don't expect too much.

Please see
http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...vip_membership

Diamond VIP members will receive two bottles of water, welcome amenity on night of arrival AND may choose TWO of the following benefits:

* One category room upgrade If room upgrade is not available, member will receive both of the remaining options.
* 1,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points
* Discount at select resort facilities (may include spa, golf, restaurant, etc.) - At Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, Gold VIP members will receive a $25 Dining Credit (food only) or 20% off Spa Treatment

omegadeal Aug 29, 2006 8:47 pm

I was there about two weeks ago. As diamond on a paid stay I was given the choice of an upgrade, a $32 (Or something like that) credit for breakfast one morning, or 1000 HH points. I went for the breakfast and the check in person told me they gave me the upgrade anyway.

I got a room in one of the villas and it was nice, but I wouldn't call it an upgrade at a luxury hotel. It felt like a mid class Hilton from the 80s, but certainly nothing wrong with it.

The _Banking_Scot May 12, 2007 9:44 am

Net direct rates in July $119

Hi,

I am considering coming to Phoenix in the first week of July for some R&R and noticed the Biltmore offering Net direct rates from $119 ( Tapatio Cliffs is offering $129)-not a bad rate

PS I know PHX will be HOT in July!:D

Regards

TBS

Jaimito Cartero May 12, 2007 9:50 am

Biltmore or Pointe-less?

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 7725620)
I know PHX will be HOT in July!:D

Hell is hot. Phoenix is scorching!

That's a very good price for this property. I don't think I've seen below $150, but I haven't been actively searching, either.

I've got a $98 room booked at the Pointe Squaw Peak at the end of May, which is the lowest I've seen there for awhile. They often have their "this is not a suite" room $10-$20 less than the standard suites. Don't forget that this property is included in the $75 Hilton/Red Cross certs. :)

LAX1K to AmWest May 12, 2007 10:14 am

Hi,

I am considering coming to Phoenix in the first week of July for some R&R and noticed the Biltmore offering Net direct rates from $119 ( Tapatio Cliffs is offering $129)-not a bad rate

Regards

TBS

I am also thinking of staying there in June... will let you know how it works out... it is so low, I can justify it

cfischer May 13, 2007 10:14 am

Hi,

Regards

TBS

thanks for posting this!