Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor {GBR} (no longer Honors)

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor {GBR} (no longer Honors)

Old Mar 26, 16, 3:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Points & cash stay on Thursday night for my birthday, upgraded to Junior suite at the back of hotel.

Thought I might struggle with parking at 19.00, but struck lucky outside hotel.

Water, jellybeans, nuts and drinks vouchers as usual along with packet of crisps and minature bottle of gin and birthday card!

Ate out so no experience of restaurant this time, it did look like they had a large function on as lots of men in kilts with ladies in posh frocks in lobby.
Returned to hotel whilst function was still running but not kept awake by any noise.

Breakfast the following morning was busy but not problematic and food was good.

Overall decent stay and encouraged to stay again.
Old Aug 7, 16, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
Stayed here once more last weekend on a cheap sale cash booking as a Diamond. Upgraded to a suite in the main building, which was a decent size, and the high ceilings / old building feel certainly made it more memorable than many hotel suites! Given a drink voucher at checkin, and also given water bottles then in a paper bag much as you get at US hotels. Water and snacks in the room sadly no more. Breakfast was quite busy, fair size selection (smaller than at the WA), but decent quality.
Old Aug 13, 16, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Three stays in this fairly central located hotel. Have been located in the main building at all three occasions, but fellow travellers have had to go across the street to the annex. Upgraded to suites 2 of 3, last time a very full booked hotel with a giant family gathering for 4 nights. Drink vouchers as described above, eccelent service at front desk, short walking distance to the tram, which I personally like, at least one way from/to the airport
Old Nov 2, 17, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Just had a paid stay in double deluxe room. Spacious, but very tired. Public areas and staff great. And good location for West End / Haymarket.

Probably hard to make a 150 year old building work to modern standards, so creaky floors, small squeezed in lifts and odd room shapes have to be accepted. But corridor and room paintwork looking very tatty, bath has chunk of enamel missing, and ceramic of basin has lost its lustre (and whiteness). Room furniture, electrical sockets, lamps, etc also a bit out of sync with modern expectation. And a slightly musty smell on entering room.

Forewarned is forearmed, so if you just need a decent location Hilton property with some public space character it'll be fine. If it's a special weekend the room might disappoint you.

On balance I'm considering moving my stays to the Hampton that was recently opened a half-mile or so away.
Old Nov 2, 17, 6:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer View Post
Just had a paid stay in double deluxe room. Spacious, but very tired. Public areas and staff great. And good location for West End / Haymarket.

Probably hard to make a 150 year old building work to modern standards, so creaky floors, small squeezed in lifts and odd room shapes have to be accepted. But corridor and room paintwork looking very tatty, bath has chunk of enamel missing, and ceramic of basin has lost its lustre (and whiteness). Room furniture, electrical sockets, lamps, etc also a bit out of sync with modern expectation. And a slightly musty smell on entering room.

Forewarned is forearmed, so if you just need a decent location Hilton property with some public space character it'll be fine. If it's a special weekend the room might disappoint you.

On balance I'm considering moving my stays to the Hampton that was recently opened a half-mile or so away.
Slightly off topic for this thread, but the Hilton Edinburgh Carlton was the polar opposite when I stayed there last week. Despite being in an old building - everything was to a high standard - staff, room, decoration etc. Great views across to the Scott Monument too if you get a high floor room towards that end of the hotel.
Old Nov 2, 17, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by S_W_S View Post
Slightly off topic for this thread, but the Hilton Edinburgh Carlton was the polar opposite when I stayed there last week. Despite being in an old building - everything was to a high standard - staff, room, decoration etc. Great views across to the Scott Monument too if you get a high floor room towards that end of the hotel.
Yes, I was there recently too and I agree. Complete refurb a year or two ago when it became a Hilton AIUI. If Grosvenor was refurbed to same standard it would be a great property, but I'm guessing it is priced to suit a market such as the big tour groups.

I'm jumping between all the central Edinburgh properties (except Waldorf) to try and stick to a budget. Typical high-low order is Waldorf, Doubletree, Carlton, Grosvenor, Hampton with DT and Carlton dancing around each other more than the others but coming in close to my £100 / night target if booked far enough out. Grosvenor and Hampton noticeably under that £100 mark. Waldorf noticeably above it ...
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:41 pm

Was here last night on a reservation that was made way back last December in the sale. Even though I live in Edinburgh it’s still nice to have a night out the house. I think we have had four nights here this year at bargain basement rates.

Agree with what others have said, the place is now in need of an overhaul. I don’t remember it’s glasgow counterpart being in as bad shape when I stayed a few months back.

Preupgraded to a king deluxe. Room was clean and tidy with no housekeeping issues. The heating was really good was easy to adjust, however my big bugbear was the windows. They were so high up I couldn’t see out them and I am 6’3”.

At reception the staff were friendly and a complimentary welcome scotch was offered. In the welcome envelope was also drinks vouchers and a gain voucher for 500 points when spending £20+ in the restaurant.

Dined in the restaurant in the evening and I’ll be honest it was a non event. The kedigree croquettes were nice, however the burger I had for the main was so-so. It was quite dry and it’s the doughiest brioche bun I’ve ever come across. I didn’t even fancy the burger, however there was absolutely nothing on the menu that stood out at all. It’s a very poor menu overall.

They did redeem themselves with breakfast however as it was excellent and as I was off work and travelling to London later on it was nice to enjoy a dram with my haggis even if it was 8am.

At the rate I paid in the sale I have no complaints and would stay again although I wouldn’t pay top dollar and would probably dine in the Indian on the corner next to the hotel which is excellent.

Last edited by chrism20; Nov 6, 17 at 3:44 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 6, 17, 4:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20 View Post
Was here last night on a reservation that was made way back last December in the sale. Even though I live in Edinburgh itís still nice to have a night out the house. I think we have had four nights here this year at bargain basement rates.

Agree with what others have said, the place is now in need of an overhaul. I donít remember itís glasgow counterpart being in as bad shape when I stayed a few months back.

Preupgraded to a king deluxe. Room was clean and tidy with no housekeeping issues. The heating was really good was easy to adjust, however my big bugbear was the windows. They were so high up I couldnít see out them and I am 6í3Ē.

At reception the staff were friendly and a complimentary welcome scotch was offered. In the welcome envelope was also drinks vouchers and a gain voucher for 500 points when spending £20+ in the restaurant.

Dined in the restaurant in the evening and Iíll be honest it was a non event. The kedigree croquettes were nice, however the burger I had for the main was so-so. It was quite dry and itís the doughiest brioche bun Iíve ever come across. I didnít even fancy the burger, however there was absolutely nothing on the menu that stood out at all. Itís a very poor menu overall.

They did redeem themselves with breakfast however as it was excellent and as I was off work and travelling to London later on it was nice to enjoy a dram with my haggis even if it was 8am.

At the rate I paid in the sale I have no complaints and would stay again although I wouldnít pay top dollar and would probably dine in the Indian on the corner next to the hotel which is excellent.
It only seems like a few years ago when they did a major refurb, closing various rooms/ floors off whilst this was in progress.
Used to stay there regularly many years ago and they used to put me in one of the suites over the road, lovely big room.

Prior to the ďimpositionĒ of the dough and co menu, the restaurant went through a phase of being really good, shame as Iíve always liked the Grosvenor despite its foibles.
I guess with the Carlton, Doubletree and now Hampton it will struggle to compete for Hilton Honors business.

I remember when I first stayed there, checking out an Indian slightly further away called the Cavalry club which was great.
It then moved over the road and the prices escalated massively!

Good to hear the breakfast is still good, I remember this was one of the few Hiltonís that tried to supplement you for a double espresso, used to enjoy the robust negotiations to avoid this!
Old Nov 8, 17, 10:24 am

I'm in the Townhouse annex over the road from the main hotel this time. Credit where it's due, the building feels fresher and it's a very pleasant room.

I have a voucher for a drink at the bar, which is presumably the Gold benefit.
Old Nov 8, 17, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by adobbing View Post
It only seems like a few years ago when they did a major refurb, closing various rooms/ floors off whilst this was in progress.
Used to stay there regularly many years ago and they used to put me in one of the suites over the road, lovely big room.

Prior to the ďimpositionĒ of the dough and co menu, the restaurant went through a phase of being really good, shame as Iíve always liked the Grosvenor despite its foibles.
I guess with the Carlton, Doubletree and now Hampton it will struggle to compete for Hilton Honors business.

I remember when I first stayed there, checking out an Indian slightly further away called the Cavalry club which was great.
It then moved over the road and the prices escalated massively!

Good to hear the breakfast is still good, I remember this was one of the few Hiltonís that tried to supplement you for a double espresso, used to enjoy the robust negotiations to avoid this!
I didnít think it had been that long either tbh. As others have said there isnít much you can do with the room shapes and designs etc due to the age of the building, however it does really need freshening up.

The menu is woeful. I was at Hilton Wembley the following night. They are also dough & co, however the menu has nearly twice the options and they also have a separate set menu which rotates.

I know itís London but Edinburgh is also a big enough market where the menu really should be better than the rubbish that was on it and there should at least be a couple of specials as well imo.

I guess time will tell how it fairs with all the additional HH options in town. Itís in a fantastic spot though and that will probably save it.

Re the Cavalry Club Iím sure it won a lot of awards around the time it moved across the street and that has probably been an additional factor in the pricing. Britannia Spice down at Ocean Terminal also hiked the prices when they won curry house of the year.

I'm in the Townhouse annex over the road from the main hotel this time. Credit where it's due, the building feels fresher and it's a very pleasant room.

I have a voucher for a drink at the bar, which is presumably the Gold benefit.
I canít ever recall being over in the other building, I probably have and have forgotten. Must give it a try.
Old Nov 8, 17, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20 View Post
I canít ever recall being over in the other building, I probably have and have forgotten. Must give it a try.
Don't.

I think I've racked up about 25 stays here so far this year. I really dislike the dislocation of the Townhouse from the main hotel. Especially in the winter months, when you've got to brave the weather to pop over for drink/dinner/breakfast. But worse of all is the bathroom. Well the water actually, as the bathroom hard product is light-years better than the main building, but the water pressure is universally awful. Truly awful.
Old Nov 8, 17, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by adobbing View Post
No chance. This is rock solid group-booking central. From spring to Autumn, the place is wall-to-wall with huge groups of tourists. All off on large coaches by day. In the winter they struggle, as do all Edinburgh hotels, and I was picking rooms up for £55.
Old Nov 9, 17, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by kryten22uk View Post
Don't.

But worse of all is the bathroom. Well the water actually, as the bathroom hard product is light-years better than the main building, but the water pressure is universally awful. Truly awful.
Hmmm . One of the positives (for me) of both buildings I meant to call out was the decent depth bath rather than those special shallow hotel ones, and the speed it fills at.

I don't recall main building shower being disappointing, and Townhouse gave nice "kick" in shower head when I turned it on with a good flow afterwards. Maybe it varies around the property ?
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:27 am

Yes it varies massively. There are some rooms where it's ok, but many that are poor, and the Townhouse is very noticeably worse.
Old Jan 16, 18, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just did a 3 night stay on a 53GBP rate. Upgraded to a suite in the main building on the first floor. Location works for me as the Haymarket train station and tram stop is just about 3 minutes away. I came in from London right to Haymarket and departed for Glasgow from the same station.

restlessinRNO and wizla like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: