Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor {GBR} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor {GBR} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:50 am
Original Member

I too stayed a couple of days ago, and enjoyed it.

Currently having some minor refurb going on in the public areas, nothing too much to worry about. Rooms a bit quirky, but actually a welcome change from the standard boxes of the ex-hilton nationals. Got a nice room as HH diamond.

We stayed on the 2 nites dinner on first nite rate. Dinner was excellent.

Nightmare to find if driving however !!!! Too many one ways streets etc. Ended up stopping at the caledonian and asking for better directions. No carpark either. front desk has a card which gives directions to the public carparks. The one we were sent to only too cash.

Many great resturants nearby.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
My wife and I enjoyed our stay...it is not a perfect hotel but the staff is friendly and they treated this diamond well...if the price is right, go with it!...I do agree about the parking and the location for people with cars...which you really don't need here!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Hi folks.

I've had 2 stays recently as Diamond. Once in the old type rooms and once in the refurbished ones.

Both were clean,bright and tidy but not huge. 3rd floor rooms have been in the first part of the refurb along with the reception,bar and restaurant areas.

The restaurant is a huge improvement on the old one both in food and decoration.

Winter rates are pretty good but weekends can have less cheaper rates due to high numbers of guests on weekend breaks.

Also as a Diamond i had free use of the Leisure Club at the Caledonian. There is a pool, gym and steam room. Grosvenor guests without HH status can use the Caley Leisure Club for a nominal £5.

cheers

alan
Old May 15, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Does it have DVD?

Hi everyone

I will be staying at Grosvenor for an extended stay, starting next week. (Cal. is outside my budget, unfortunately).

I am HH Gold so I am hoping that I will be upgraded to a suite (cross fingers). Do any of these rooms come with a DVD player? Or, can I attach my own DVD player perhaps - do they have necessary input jacks? I am just debating whether I should bring my portable DVD player or not.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Old May 18, 2007, 2:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
This was one of a batch of hotels that "Hilton International " planned to sell off, there was an issue with the leasehold ( apparently they weren't in a position to sell it ).
I think that because of this it had been starved of cash over the last few years, this showed in the condition of the decor in some of the rooms and public area.
When the sale fell through and Hilton International was itself purchased by HHC, the renovation commenced

I last stayed there back in October when the refurb was just getting underway, the public areas were extensively changed, with a much more modern feel to them. A vast improvement on the previously tired decor.
I haven't stayed in a renovated room, but passed several with doors open and modern furniture still in it's wrappers inside.

As mentioned elsewhere the Hotel is made up of linked town houses, resulting in some bizarre corridor layouts.
It is also spread over 2 sides of the street with the "Grosvenor club" across the road.
With a complete overhaul I'm sure it will be a very nice place to stay!

I would imagine by now this should be completed.
Old May 21, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Stayed there 2 weeks ago and the room refurb program seens to have stalled. The room i was in was clean and large but the furniture was old and battered looking. It still appears that the refurbished rooms are only on the 3rd floor. Usual fruit,wine and chocolates and 2 free drinks in the bar as they were unable to offer me an upgraded room.

Can't recall ever seeing dvd/cd players in this hotel. Unless on request maybe.

alan
Old May 22, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Originally Posted by gypsyinabigtown
Hi everyone

I will be staying at Grosvenor for an extended stay, starting next week. (Cal. is outside my budget, unfortunately).

I am HH Gold so I am hoping that I will be upgraded to a suite (cross fingers). Do any of these rooms come with a DVD player? Or, can I attach my own DVD player perhaps - do they have necessary input jacks? I am just debating whether I should bring my portable DVD player or not.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
I am a diamond. According to the website, I have had the following stays at this hotel this year:

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor hotel
16-May-2007 - 18-May-2007
18-Mar-2007 - 22-Mar-2007
13-Mar-2007 - 16-Mar-2007
26-Feb-2007 - 01-Mar-2007
21-Feb-2007 - 22-Feb-2007
20-Feb-2007 - 21-Feb-2007
28-Jan-2007 - 31-Jan-2007

I have never once been upgraded to a suite. I assumed that they don't exist at this hotel ;-) I am always on the third floor though, which has relatively modern rooms. No idea about the DVD - I use my laptop to watch films on.

-simon
Old May 22, 2007, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How convenient (and affordable) is airport access? Do Golds receive the health club/breakfast benefits that Diamonds do (within inches of Diamond, the hard way!)
Old May 22, 2007, 12:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How convenient (and affordable) is airport access? Do Golds receive the health club/breakfast benefits that Diamonds do (within inches of Diamond, the hard way!)
Walk to the end of the road and cross over, Express Bus 100 goes to the airport every 10 minutes. Journey 25 minutes £3 single, £5 open return

http://www.flybybus.com/

No Health club on site, although I think they offer you access to the Health Club at the other Hilton in town, Hilton Caledonian.
This is a ten minute walk or faster jogging......

Breakfast is either served in the Grosvenor club if they put you over the road, or in the main building.
I am Diamond and have only stayed on breakfast inclusive rates, but a colleague who is Gold has been offered free cont breakfast

Last edited by adobbing; Jun 5, 2009 at 1:53 am Reason: incorrectly used platinum rather than diamond
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,SPG Plat,Gold Points Plus Silver, Sixt Plat,
Im going to edinburgh in July, anyone stayed at this hotel recently?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blowfish
Im going to edinburgh in July, anyone stayed at this hotel recently?
Work now seems to have finished on the refurb.

Have only stayed in the main building since, rooms have been varied in quality.
If I get an upgrade the room tends to be good, if there is no upgrade they can be a bit iffy.

Generally the higher the floor you stay on the lower the water pressure in the shower, so if you like a powerful shower a room on the first floor would be best.

Restaurant food was good and they were running a deal on 3 courses for £15 the last time I used it.

As always with this Hotel parking is a major issue. So if arriving by car, be prepared to chase the parking space. Very few usable spaces, although after 18.30 and before 08.30 no restrictions, so you can park anywhere on the road. The traffic wardens are ruthless in this area, so make sure you are gone by 08.30!
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
EDI Hilton Grosvenor

Two questions.

Is this hotel as bad as some of the personal reviews online, especially if one is put in the Club as per my reservation? For example at http://www.tripadvisor.com/

My reservation says: "Double Club wing room in Club wing ... Internet access ..." I take it that does not mean free access but probably 15GBP?

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 5, 2009 at 5:52 pm
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonours Diamond, Tesco Clubcard!
Originally Posted by Xeno
Is this hotel as bad as some of the personal reviews online, especially if one is put in the Club as per my reservation?

My reservation says: "Double Club wing room in Club wing ... Internet access ..." I take it that does not mean free access but probably 15GBP?
I haven't stayed in the Club wing for a couple of years but I don't like it at all compared to the main building. I believe that the Club rooms are marketed at a lower price than the rooms in the main building that possibly reflects the lower quality?

Internet access will be charged as you predicted.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 3:00 am

Programs: VS, BA, HHonours, IHG Rewards, Best Western
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I was in Edinburgh recently, at the HIX in Leith not the Grosvenor. There is a fast limited-stop bus service from the airport to the City Centre which is very reliable. Come out of the terminal and the bus stop is to your right. Fare to the Centre was £3.50 single or £6 return. Journey time around 30 minutes. On the return journey you can catch the bus from Waverly Bridge BUT there is something you need to be aware of. Edinburgh‘s roads and traffic are in a bit of a mess at the moment as they are working on a tram line that will run from the airport through the centre and up to Leith. At present the whole of the main shopping St, Princes St, is closed to traffic so buses are diverted around George St. I suggest you leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the airport and maybe check with the hotel as to which is the closest stop.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Starwood Gold, Carllson Gold
I've stayed here 7 or 8 times in the last couple of months. Formerly Diamond, but now a lowly Gold :-(

I have always had a room upgrade to a deluxe and these rooms have always been the refurbished rooms with the 32" Flat sceen tv and the "Brown" Decor. Yes, the hotel has a strange layout dur to its age, but the benefit is that the rooms are generally MUCH bigger than your usual modern Hilton.
I have always received a Comp breakfast and indeed I never boof a Breakfast inclusive rate, because I know my entitlements.

The "club" rooms across the road, are inferior and normally can be had from £59 a night. However as a gold or diamond, the likelihood of getting one of those rooms is miniscule, normally ending up with a deluxe room in the main building.
Only one one occaison was an upgrade not automatically allocated as they claimed they didn't have any rooms available. I sorta grumbled a lil bit and asked for any format or room in the main building at all, the girl gave me the best suite they have. Room 131 FYI. 2 rooms suite.

Wjilst outside having a smoke one night, I got talking to a duty manager. Apparently the plan is to refurb all of the club rooms in the next year or so and I suspect that then that side will be the place to be.

All in I think its a great hotel in a fab city and at a very reasonable price.

Last edited by Paddeng; Jun 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm Reason: added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.