Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Colombo {LKA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We will be staying at the Hilton Residence for the first time this summer. I've found several references to the suites having washing machines and dryers, though not on the hotel website.....Can anyone confirm or deny from their own experience?
It was built as a condo. All units have washer/dryer and full kitchen.@:-) Although it has been a few years since I last stay with them.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:57 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Excellent news! Thank you.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
We will be staying at the Hilton Residence for the first time this summer. I've found several references to the suites having washing machines and dryers, though not on the hotel website. For example:
You can find videos for both the Hilton and the Hilton residence + more than hundred other hotels at youtube.com/loyaltylobby.

Hilton Colombo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YW-7N2HBQc

Hilton Colombo Residence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ePP_gwk2k

I haven't had time to do reviews of these two properties, but will eventually.

Last edited by holtju2; Jun 8, 2012 at 10:26 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2
That's a nice video, showing a suite with a ridiculous amount of space and a nice view. It makes me happy with my choice of the property.

I didn't see a washer/dryer, though.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
That's a nice video, showing a suite with a ridiculous amount of space and a nice view. It makes me happy with my choice of the property.

I didn't see a washer/dryer, though.
There was an awful lot of space so they might have been somewhere, although I don't remember seeing them on this suite.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

We have always stayed at the Hilton during our many visits to Colombo. This time, I found better redemption value at the Residence and stayed there for the first time. My conclusion:
  • Chose the Residence if personal space is important to you. Suites are massive.
  • Chose the Hilton if public space is important to you.

Advantage: Hilton Residence
  1. Suites are very large, with at least two bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, and living room. You can store food in the refrigerator and warm it in the microwave.
  2. All suites have a combi washer/dryer. It was great to get our clothes clean for onward travel. We had to have maintenance come and explain how to use it. We also had a drying rack brought. The combi is in a back corridor behind the suite. It was hot and clothes dried fast.
  3. Massage is very affordable. You can have your massage outside by the swimming pool where they have a massage table under a canopy. There is also an inside room by the gym. It was ridiculously affordable, at $10 for a half hour foot massage and $20 for a full body massage. Warning: they do use oil, so wear a swim suit or something you don't mind brushing up against oil. Quality was excellent, and it was very pleasant outside in the cool evening air.
  4. Be aware that families are attracted by the suites, and the pool was filled on Sunday with children.

Advantage: Hilton
  1. There is an executive lounge.
  2. Spoons is a superb restaurant, one of the best high end restaurants in Colombo.
  3. Concierge service is good.
  4. Breakfast offerings are more extensive. Breakfast room is huge with many stations for food all around the world.
  5. There is always a Filipino band playing in the evening. Music is quite enjoyable.

Summer is the time of the great diaspora from the Arab countries. There are many families with all adult ladies in black abayas and full face coverings. The Iraq embassy occupies two of the penthouse suites on the 32nd floor, but Iraqi women do not wear abayas.

I highly recommend Mango Tree for northern Indian food. It is just 5 minutes from Hilton Residence. It has an extensive menu including great tandoori and excellent breads. I had cardamon lassi for the first time while my husband had mint lassi. If we had this restaurant at home, we'd be regulars.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I'm booking an RTW as a status run for 2013, and am considering where to stop in Asia. I need somewhere one flight from HKG, and CMB fits (the CX flight makes a stop in SIN but it still counts as one sector) and is long (just under 2500 miles each way). Since I love swimming in the ocean, I'm thinking Phuket would be more fun, but the flight length for Colombo is tempting, and the Hilton is inexpensive and looks nice.

The Hilton web site says there is a beach nearby. In trying to find out if there is a nearby beach and if it's nice to swim at, I think maybe there is one a short walk away that is not nice at all, and then maybe Mount Lavinia is a couple miles away and some people swim there but it's very rough, and a nice beach is an hour or more away. Is this the situation?

Also, how careful does one need to be regarding food and water? E.g., eating fruit or salad, brushing teeth, etc.?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
The Hilton web site says there is a beach nearby. In trying to find out if there is a nearby beach and if it's nice to swim at, I think maybe there is one a short walk away that is not nice at all, and then maybe Mount Lavinia is a couple miles away and some people swim there but it's very rough, and a nice beach is an hour or more away. Is this the situation?
There is no beach for swimming in Colombo. Mt Lavinia might be close mileage wise but is far time wise. It's an hour from the Hilton. Negombo is quite close to the airport. I'm told it has beaches but I have no personal experience.

Also, how careful does one need to be regarding food and water? E.g., eating fruit or salad, brushing teeth, etc.?
I eat everything, though I am selective as to where I eat. I've never gotten sick in Sri Lanka. I brush my teeth with tap water at the Hiltons. I used bottled water at Tea Trails per their instructions.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
We have always stayed at the Hilton during our many visits to Colombo. This time, I found better redemption value at the Residence and stayed there for the first time.
nice trip report sandiego1k....wil be staying here next month during the t20 cricket world cup....the hilton was sold out so i had to use diamond force to get a room at the hilton residence....i just had a bunch of questions:

how is the breakfast at the residence????

what is the area like????are there shops & restaurants within walking distance????

i believe this property does not have an executive lounge....is that true????

how much time did it take you to get here from the airport????

thanks in advance....
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
how is the breakfast at the residence????
It was fine, though not as expansive as the extensive breakfast at the Hilton. There were all the traditional dishes in addition to a couple curries.

what is the area like????are there shops & restaurants within walking distance????
There are a couple 7-11 shops within a block so better than the Hilton in this regard. We didn't walk around, but the Indian restaurant we liked so much was only about a 5 minute taxi ride.

i believe this property does not have an executive lounge....is that true????
True - but every room is at least a 2 bedroom suite. Go to one of the convenience stores and stock up on beverages. You have a full refrigerator in your kitchen.

how much time did it take you to get here from the airport????
Same as the Hilton - about 45 minutes.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
It was fine, though not as expansive as the extensive breakfast at the Hilton. There were all the traditional dishes in addition to a couple curries.

There are a couple 7-11 shops within a block so better than the Hilton in this regard. We didn't walk around, but the Indian restaurant we liked so much was only about a 5 minute taxi ride.

True - but every room is at least a 2 bedroom suite. Go to one of the convenience stores and stock up on beverages. You have a full refrigerator in your kitchen.

Same as the Hilton - about 45 minutes.
cool....thanks for the answers....
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just finished a 5 night stay at the hilton residence....i had to use diamond force here to get the room since the cricket t20 world cup was taking place in sri lanka with most of the matches being played in colombo....here are some observations:

pros:

the suites are huge....lots of space....full sized kitchen, dining area, living area, 2 bedrooms & 2 full bathrooms....

breakfast had lots of choices....

as sandiego1k mentioned, having the washer/dryer in the suite was a huge advantage....

massage was a little more expensive than what sandiego1k stated but still extremely affordable....as per today's exchange rate, $20 for a foot massage & $32 for a full body massage....i got the full body massage twice during my stay & it was very good....

cons:

the suites looked a little tired & the furniture was worn....none of the bedroom or bathroom doors closed unless you locked them since all the hinges were loose....

the second bedroom was tiny with only a small twin bed....

the free internet for diamonds was slow....the first day it barely worked....

i checked in around 10pm & when i noticed the twin bed in the second bedroom, i asked for an extra bed to be brought up to the room....i must have made this request around 10:30pm & it took them forever to do this....after 3 reminders it was finally brought up at 1:30am....

the water pressure in the bathrooms didn't work that well if both showers were being used at the same time....

besides that the stay was pretty uneventful....there was a grocery store across the street so we stocked up on food & drinks from there which lasted us the full stay....so we didn't miss having a lounge....there are a few places to eat like a pizza hut & kfc within walking distance....

nothing wrong with this property but i think the next time i'm in colombo i'm going to give the hilton a try....
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: EK Platinum; HH Gold; MRT/SPG Platinum; EY Gold
Any recent experience at Hilton Colombo ?

Does anyone have a recent experience at either Hilton Colombo or Hilton Colombo Residence ? Also, any tips for good rooms or lounges ?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ramsap
Does anyone have a recent experience at either Hilton Colombo or Hilton Colombo Residence ? Also, any tips for good rooms or lounges ?
See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ighlight=lanka
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: EK Platinum; HH Gold; MRT/SPG Platinum; EY Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thank you Jerry. I did see that report, but they are from 2005. Hence checking any recent stays or tips

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.