Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Jeddah - Qasr Al Sharq {SAU}

Waldorf Astoria Jeddah - Qasr Al Sharq {SAU}

Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Arrow Waldorf Astoria Jeddah - Qasr Al Sharq {SAU}

Here's the story from the Business Traveller Email.

Note the starting rate of £766 a night!!!!!!!!!!

"It's Jeddah's turn to acquire not one but two top luxury hotels. In recent times the Saudi port city has been left behind in the prestigious hotel stakes with Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat all acquiring "palace" properties.

Jeddah will redress the balance next month with the opening of Qasr Al Sharq, a 46-all suite top luxury hotel. The property is managed by Hilton and it's located along Jeddah's North Corniche adjacent to the international chain's existing hotel. Soon after, Corniche (a Rosewood property) is slated to open.

The Qasr Al Sharq which has 60kgs of gold leaf adorning its decorative ceilings – will offer a highly personalised butler service and contain 1,200 crystal vases, porcelain china, intricate mosaics and the world's best fabrics. The level of detail is reflected in the bathrooms which have 20 different oriental-scented soaps. The interiors have been designed by London-based KCA International whose top-tier portfolio includes Dubai's luxury Burj Al Arab hotel.

Hilton is not known for properties of this order, so does it represent a change of tack for the hotel chain? "There is no change in our policy," says a spokesperson, "Qasr Al Sharq is a unique property. Both Hilton and the owner realised there was a clear demand for an upscale suite product."

Food and beverage outlets include two restaurants featuring Italian and Middle Eastern cuisine along with private dining facilities. There is also a business centre and a luxury spa.

Rates range between £766 (SAR5,000) and £7,656 (SAR50,000) plus 15% service fee. It's not clear whether or not special introductory rates will be offered during the opening period. When questioned about the prices, a spokesman replied, "These rates aren't really comparable to other hotel rates as they include 'on demand' housekeeping, as often as required, as well as breakfast, wireless internet access, a laptop in the room, late check-out and a personal butler."

Qasr Al Sharq's exact opening date in May has not yet been confirmed and Hilton's website is still not displaying any information. Bookings open on May 1."
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by Wudy15
...Rates range between £766 (SAR5,000) and £7,656 (SAR50,000) plus 15% service fee....
And I thought that my expense reports were sometimes pretty high!

If only I could slip this in without notice...
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP
HHonors Hotel Reward Category: 10 - 100K points per night
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Thumbs up

I've not been to Jeddah for a long time, but 25 years ago when I worked throughout The Kingdom, a place where there was no tourism and every hotel was a business hotel, there were times when you would pay just about any amount for that oasis of comfort after a week or two of living on "inshallah time".
I can remember shuffling into the Intercon in Taif, booking a room, having a shower and some food and checking out after just a couple of hours sitting in the huge marble lobby enjoying the fountain. Never even noticed how much I signed the Amex for.

Now I'm like most of my fellow HH forum members and concerned about trivial stuff like getting a couple of extra points on my stays, how "upgraded" my upgraded room is, and why I'm not targeted for more promotions.
I'm sure there are still those high-rolling road warriors out there looking for a really great luxury hotel room after a week in the desert, and not even looking at the £766 pricetag.

Commander Bob
Love those point-stretcher nights!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:15 am
Suspended

Qasr Al Sharq | A Waldorf Astoria Hotel™

Qasr Al Sharq | A Waldorf Astoria Hotel™ in Jeddah. Has anyone been there? How is the hotel? What does it offer for the diamond members?
Old May 8, 2022, 12:37 am

Any reason the base room isn't available on points all year?
Old May 12, 2022, 6:51 am

Anyone??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.