Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Definitive On-Line Check-In Thread

The Definitive On-Line Check-In Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
When should a hotel cancel your reservation after OLCI?

removed

Last edited by MrOCTeckels; Mar 6, 2018 at 10:54 pm Reason: doesn't have anything to do with upgrades
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
For some reason I find that the OLCI always seems to offer me Twin rooms on lower floors the day before.

On the morning of check-in it shows an upgraded room (e.g. Executive King) so then I OLCI and I get the room number I select. I don't care about suites for solo travel so I'm happy to use the Floor Map to choose a given room once a decent option becomes available.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond ? TK*E
Originally Posted by yurtripper
For some reason I find that the OLCI always seems to offer me Twin rooms on lower floors the day before.

On the morning of check-in it shows an upgraded room (e.g. Executive King) so then I OLCI and I get the room number I select. I don't care about suites for solo travel so I'm happy to use the Floor Map to choose a given room once a decent option becomes available.
With me is also the same. They upgrade me in the morning and can see that in the online check-in. Sometimes just a room upgrade, sometimes suite upgrade. Never bothered to aask for a suite if they already upgraded me to a better room.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Having recently turned 60*, my cognitive action is not what it used to be and after reading this thread, I'm still confused...

I'll be staying at the Tropicana Doubletree in LAS next month** (Oct 6-8) and wondering...

• Do I check-in online via my Mac?
  • If yes, where would I see any notification of an upgrade***?
  • If yes, at what time? T-24hrs or wait a bit?
  • Do I check-in via the HH app?
  • Do I not check-in at all (Mac or app) and check-in at the hotel and then ask about any upgrades***?
  • What am I missing?

*the purpose of the trip is a childhood friends group 60th birthday weekend

**I had no say in the choice of hotel but I was able to find a saver award as I booked early

***I'm Gold and it's a holiday weekend so I'm not holding my breath

Last edited by goalie; Sep 12, 2018 at 1:52 pm Reason: added my status
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
Having recently turned 60*, my cognitive action is not what it used to be and after reading this thread, I'm still confused...

I'll be staying at the Tropicana Doubletree in LAS next month** (Oct 6-8) and wondering...
  • Do I check-in online via my Mac?
  • Do I check-in via the HH app?
  • Do I not check-in at all (Mac or app) and check-in at the hotel and then ask about any upgrades***?
  • What am I missing?

*the purpose of the trip is a childhood friends group 60th birthday weekend

**I had no say in the choice of hotel but I was able to find a saver award as I booked early

***I'm Gold and it's a holiday weekend so I'm not holding my breath
Dosen't matter which device you use to OLCI, it's the same on your Mac/PC/Phone etc

The main thing is NOT to OLCI if you don't see a room you like. Hotels usually upgrade OLCI the day itself, usually after 12 noon. If you don't see an upgrade (but want one), just wait to ask at the front desk. Ignore the "We will try our best to upgrade you at the property etc message" as every hotel I have tried have told me since I've selected the room via OLCI there's anything they can do to change it.

Some properties upgrade abit earlier, but it's rare to get one anything earlier than a day before.

The only time I would OLCI without any upgrades is when I know the hotel is running full (dates blocked on site) and I wanted to check in on time, instead of waiting around after 3pm.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by wantan
Dosen't matter which device you use to OLCI, it's the same on your Mac/PC/Phone etc

The main thing is NOT to OLCI if you don't see a room you like. Hotels usually upgrade OLCI the day itself, usually after 12 noon. If you don't see an upgrade (but want one), just wait to ask at the front desk. Ignore the "We will try our best to upgrade you at the property etc message" as every hotel I have tried have told me since I've selected the room via OLCI there's anything they can do to change it.

Some properties upgrade abit earlier, but it's rare to get one anything earlier than a day before.

The only time I would OLCI without any upgrades is when I know the hotel is running full (dates blocked on site) and I wanted to check in on time, instead of waiting around after 3pm.
So where I know nothing about the rooms at the hotel, it would be best NOT to OLCI and wait to check-in when I arrive at the hotel or should I go thru the OLCI process and stop if do not see any upgrade (which I assume is pretty easy to see during the OLCI process)
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
So where I know nothing about the rooms at the hotel, it would be best NOT to OLCI and wait to check-in when I arrive at the hotel or should I go thru the OLCI process and stop if do not see any upgrade (which I assume is pretty easy to see during the OLCI process)
There is no one answer that works here. Some properties falsely stay they can't change OLCI, but if you read the info it states they will continue to look for upgrades. Some properties will assign all the upgrade rooms the morning of check in or before. Some properties will only upgrade those that ask at check in. So I would suggest check the reviews of where you're going and see if anyone has posted their experience there. As always, a personal history with the property can get you much further than any status with the chain.
zap7 and wizla like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
There is no one answer that works here. Some properties falsely stay they can't change OLCI, but if you read the info it states they will continue to look for upgrades. Some properties will assign all the upgrade rooms the morning of check in or before. Some properties will only upgrade those that ask at check in. So I would suggest check the reviews of where you're going and see if anyone has posted their experience there. As always, a personal history with the property can get you much further than any status with the chain.
Thanks ^ and where this is the first time I've stayed at the Doubletree LAS, I have no history so with them I'll be checking reviews
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
No harm to go through the OLCI just to see what room category the hotel has put you in. If you don't like it, don't complete the OLCI.

Best time to check is after 12noon on the day of check-in as that's when most properties update the assigned rooms in OLCI.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by wantan
No harm to go through the OLCI just to see what room category the hotel has put you in. If you don't like it, don't complete the OLCI.

Best time to check is after 12noon on the day of check-in as that's when most properties update the assigned rooms in OLCI.
Thanks and thanks ^ tho I'm arriving LAS at approximately 09:30 so i think what I'll do is follow your advice and "peruse" OLCI the day before and then wait and see both via OLCI and then when I arrive at the hotel
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:55 am

Never noticed before but there's a little up arrow on some rooms on the room map. Is that meant to mean it's an upgraded room?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
Both, it will show when you use OLCI the you have been upgraded with a message and the different room type you can select and under My Stay the upgraded room type.
On my last stay I didn't get any notification about an upgrade when looking for rooms on OLCI. I also kept checking My Stay all the way up until an hour before I showed up at the property but it continued to show the room type I booked. I checked in around 3pm and I was upgraded to a room with a view on the Executive Floor. I was happy with the upgrade but I was hoping to be able to see it on the app as well.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:49 pm

Any data points from Canpoy properties?
...Do you get to choose room curing OLCI?

It seems like it is generally best to wait to check in at the hotel if no upgrade possibilities are showing up during OLCI, right? Once you check in and choose a room, it seems the front desk would be less inclined to look into upgrade possibilities.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Anyone else having trouble trying to use digital check in right now ( noon - UK time ) , been trying all morning, no luck!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
Anyone else having trouble trying to use digital check in right now ( noon - UK time ) , been trying all morning, no luck!
As above really....... stay tomorrow night in Cambridge, website goes blank when I hit OLCI......anyone else?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.