Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Old Apr 27, 2002, 12:13 pm

http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/benefits/levels.jhtml

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.
Old Apr 27, 2002, 1:57 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
So, are you saying that this is a stealth way for HH to get the Diamond members NOT to use Point Saver rewards?
With CO, for flight awards, the more miles you have, the harder it is to use the basic rewards; one often has to use the double miles rules buster awards.
Old Apr 27, 2002, 2:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Zip:
So, are you saying that this is a stealth way for HH to get the Diamond members NOT to use Point Saver rewards?</font>
I am not sure how you came to that conclusion. I just booked a Point Stretcher award in London.

Old Nov 5, 2002, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Gold vs. Diamond Clarification

Whats the difference here? my question really refers to the Diamond description: Are they saying Diamonds get lounge access AND breakfast downstairs as opposed to golds are they saying that Lounge OR breakfast downstairs?

Gold VIP Membership

At US Hilton hotels, and at Conrad and Doubletree hotels with Towers or Executive Levels, Gold VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Towers or Executive Level floor, whenever possible. In cases when Towers or Executive Level accommodations have been fully booked, Gold VIP members will be offered either (1) the use of the Towers or Executive Level lounge, including complimentary continental breakfast each morning or (2) personalized certificates for each day of the stay for all occupants of the members room valid for complimentary continental breakfast in the hotel coffee shop or all-purpose restaurant.

Diamond VIP Membership

At US Hilton hotels, and at Conrad and Doubletree hotels with Towers or Executive Levels, In cases when Towers or Executive Level accommodations have been fully booked, Diamond VIP members will be offered the use of the Towers or Executive Level lounge, including complimentary continental breakfast each day of the stay.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 3:01 pm

I am not sure what they meant to say. In practice, hotels do not normally refuse entry to the lounge for Diamonds and if that lounge has breakfast (most do), that satisfies the breakfast guarantee as well. I am not sure you can demand a breakfast coupon for the downstairs restaurant in addition to the lounge with breakfast unless they already do it as normal practice in that hotel (normal in many international Hiltons).

On the other hand, for Golds, they may be denied entry to the lounge but will be given a breakfast coupon instead so they can keep the zillion Gold "riff raff" out of the lounge which otherwise would get overwhelmed.

I am sure that if the lounge does not have breakfast, then Diamonds will be given breakfast coupons for the restaurant as well. Perhaps others can verify this case.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 4:54 pm
DOC 2 BE

My take on this is as VENK said above, Golds could be denied Lounge access but get a Cont'l breakfast in the coffee shop, whereas Diamonds will NEVER be denied Louonge access.

Remember Trojan, that Lounge access also carries with it access to soft drinks (or alcohol gratis overseas) as well as evening hors d'oevures.

What this seems to me is a winnowing back on the perks that Golds used to enjoy. This might, I say might, be due to a number of those who were gifted Gold, by one way or another.

Therefore, a Gold may get the breakfast, and those in his/her room, as well, but it would appear that the hotel could bar you from the Lounge.

This appears to speak directly to that situation at the SJU Hilton, where now it is enshrined in the HHonors rules, that they need not let you into the Concierge Lounge.

In addition, at those hotels that are quite full and that might have small lounges, this is a way to control the number of those who are using it.

Diamond perks are safe, Gold perks can be cut back.

Old Nov 5, 2002, 5:12 pm

Doc 2 Be or Others, I will be at the Caribe Hilton in Dec. I am Diamond. What's the deal with the lounge? What can I expect? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
The Caribe Hilton has Diamond lounge on the 2nd to last floor (I can't recall how many floors there are) where you can check in as well. It has breakfast in the a.m.; juice and snacks during the day and some more light snacks; drinks at night. All complimentary for the diamond member and guest.

the golds and below (including corporate rate) use a different lounge across from the lobby. Pretty much anyone can use this lounge which has coffee and pasteries in the a.m.

As for the comments above; thanks; I only asked b/c I was reading the rules today and didn't quite understand what they were saying so I thought I would see what other FT'ers have to say.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 6:08 pm
DOC 2 BE

Gandalf:

As Trojan said, you have nothing to worry about. Past posts noted that this hotel absolutely refused to allow Golds into their lounge, despite what the rules said.

Now that the rules have been amended, they are on quite firm ground to deny Golds access. However, as the rules read now, no Diamond should EVER be denied access to a Lounge.

Old Nov 5, 2002, 6:10 pm
DOC 2 BE

By the way, a way around the rules, should you wish to be contentious, is to say well, the rules say that I will be offered either 1 or 2 and I CHOOSE LOUNGE ACCESS, Thank you very much.

It is worth a try if you wish to be legalisitic.

Old Nov 5, 2002, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:

....The golds and below (including corporate rate) use a different lounge across from the lobby. Pretty much anyone can use this lounge which has coffee and pasteries in the a.m.
</font>
Last month the lobby lounge was closed and another lounge opened on the 2nd floor by the small business office. The morning was as above, but in the evening they had hors d voures similar (only slightly less selection) to the Executive Lounge with complimemtary red and white wine. Just sign in.

MisterNice

Old Nov 5, 2002, 7:50 pm
m

While TrojanHorse showed that the executive lounge will be made available to Diamonds in the USA, the wording is different for Hiltons outside the USA (copied from the web site):

At Hilton hotels outside the U.S. with Executive Floors, Diamond VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Executive Floor, whenever possible. In cases when there are no Executive Floors or where Executive Floor accommodations have been fully booked, Diamond VIP members will be offered a complimentary continental breakfast each morning or an alternative special amenity.

So, even though most are impressed by Hiltons outside the USA, it appears that they can deny Diamonds access to the lounge if the level is "full".
Old Nov 5, 2002, 8:51 pm
DOC 2 BE

m:

Wow, good catch. Now that is a change!

Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:49 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
For what it's worth, as a Gold (just shy of Diamond) I was denied lounge access at the Conrad Hong Kong on an award stay. But I was given complimentary continental breakfasts (the good, Continental kind) which is consistent with the written policy.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 12:25 pm

I spent a night each at the Corby & Northampton UK Hilton in September. Being Diamond, I asked about breakfast. Was told breakfast was an addtional charge...being UK Hiltons they didn't participate in that part of the HHonors program???
Pulled out my copy of Hilton rules. At Corby the desk clerk said he would have to talk to the manager in the morning at 8:00 AM. I said I'll be gone at 8:00 AM, call him at home. The clerk then decided I would get breakfast at no charge.

The next night at Northampton the same situation. The clerk said I was upgraded to a king ( that was her interpretation of offering another ammenity ) I said I was happy with a queen bed, I want breakfast.
She then decided to give me breakfast...as she was doing me a big favor.

Was I the first HHonors VIP to ever ask about complimentary breakfast at these locations?

Bottom line... it shouldn't take an argument. Always carry a copy of Hilton's rules, diamond or gold, especially if your going to the UK!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.