Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2001, 6:47 pm
DOC 2 BE

AND, the West Wing's A/C is "American Style" = Quite Cold, not like the easily overwhelmed European type. I might add that the same A/C is blowing in the health club, and that was quite welcome, as well!

Old Aug 10, 2001, 9:35 am

Hilton have just appointed a GM to this hotel - hopefully things will improve.

I couldn't agree more with Stimpy's comments about the Concierges.

I have never had any problems with the lounge though. The guy who is normally there in the evening (young, short camp Austalian) is a delight, Sim is gaga about him.

Nick
Old Aug 10, 2001, 4:43 pm
DOC 2 BE

His name is Brad.

Old Aug 13, 2001, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I met the Aussie lounge guy and he was fine. On Sunday the lounge was staffed by a woman with a German accent who asked to see my Gold card. The rest of the week was OK and the Executive lounge is actually pretty nice.

OK, one more complaint. The hotel could not print out a proper bill. I was staying at a 125GBP rate, but the bill showed 146GBP excluding VAT. A quick call to the front desk told me that it was actually 146GBP *including* VAT, but they couldn't get the computer to print "including" rather than "excluding". This was supposedly due to our conference rate. Be warned.

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 08-13-2001).]
Old Aug 13, 2001, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They had two very nice girls working in the Metropole Executive lounge named Bianca, eg the Italian Bianca and the German Bianca. The Italian Bianca transferred in Feb so I would venture a guess the German-accented attendant is probably named Bianca.

MisterNice
Old Sep 5, 2001, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Hilton Metropole London upgrade to Family Room

I was fortunate enough (and greatful) to get a six night rewards stay at the London Metropole. Was only able to get a room that has a king bed, however, my wife and two daughters are going as well.

Any suggestions for getting the Family room with two queen beds? Any suggestions for getting any room that will sleep 2 adults and 2 kids?
Old Sep 5, 2001, 8:00 pm
ed

I don't think there is any such thing at the London Hilton Metropole, or any other central London hotel. We recently stayed there on 2 GLON awards and had 2 connecting rooms for 2 adults and 2 children. Each room was barely big enough for 2 people! Also, if you are gold be prepared for arguments about the free breakfast- I had to talk to 3 people before we got it.
Old Sep 5, 2001, 9:35 pm

Ed,

Thanks for the info. Did you book two rooms ahead of time?

The Hilton web sight offers "Family Rooms" with two queen beds and a sofa bed. I am gold and appreciate the heads-up.

[This message has been edited by MIKEM (edited 09-05-2001).]
Old Sep 5, 2001, 11:05 pm

Location: Vienna, VA - VS Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I just stayed there over the summer, and the rooms you want are the rooms in the new wing called club rooms i believe. The other rooms (including executive room) are tiny!! Having tried std,biz, exec and club rooms I have come to the conclusion that it is worth paying a few $$ moer for the club room. For the award though I have the same prob as we want to stay 3 in a room in Jan but normal rooms are too small. I checked with the hotel when i was last there and they say they might honor the upgrade if there is room, but they dont have to as it is an award stay and not paid. Apparently the rules state paid stays are the only ones that qualify for upgrade. Anyway if you do manage to get an upgrade on an award stay let me know as I want to see if we can do it as well.
Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2001, 5:36 pm

brit_in_va

Thank you for the information. I'm not going until the early summer of 2002 (I like to do my homework ahead of time). However, I just spoke with HH reservations who confirmed that I need a GLON cert. and that because I'm a HH Gold, I should get the upgraded room. I'm not too comfortable with this and would like to know how you do with your January stay. I was thinking about making a paid reservation for the one night before my reward stay and try to remain in that room for the entire stay.

Keep me posted!
Old Sep 6, 2001, 8:15 pm
ed

Mikem, We reserved 2 connecting rooms ahead of time and had 2 GLON certificates. I asked for gold upgrades at check-in and was told there were no upgrade rooms available. That's when I asked for breakfasts and they reluctantly gave access to the exec lounge.

I wasn't too impressed by service at the hotel. We didn't get a morning newspaper 3 of the 6 days and they forgot our wakeup call one morning. There were no phone books in the room. I needed to look up something in the Yellow Pages and not only didn't the concierge have one but he didn't know where I might find one.

On the positive side, it's very convenient to several underground lines and within walking distance of Paddington Station.
Old Sep 7, 2001, 2:05 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
The Metropole is huge and has been posted many times on these boards service levels vary enourmously. However, I've never had a problem getting an upgrade. The first time I stayed I was upgraded to a Club room and was able to enter the Executive Lounge with my Gold card. From that first stay I now go straight to the Exec Lounge to check-in. The team in the lounge are very friendly and always upgrade to an executive room. The rooms are not "tiny". Maybe by US standards they are, but by central London standards they are not. Believe me there are much smaller and much more expensive rooms in central London!

Mikem - During the summer the Metropole is very busy with conference and tour party traffic and is often full. On several occasions over the last couple of months I have not been able to get a room. The only way you are going to guarantee enough space for your family is reserving an additional paid room. If your arrival is before 4:00 pm you could see if you can get an upgrade to a family room, and if succesful, you could then cancel the booked room without penalty.

WRT breakfast. The Executive Lounge provides Continental breakfast with a good range of fresh (not canned) fruit, along with cereals and cold cuts. I like this as it prevents the temptation (I can resist anything except temptation) of the bacon and sausage on the hot buffet!
Old Oct 4, 2001, 11:16 am

Amazing upgrade at Hilton Metropole (London)

stayed at the Metropole lastnight for the first time ever... checked in with my Gold VIP card- without even asking for any form of upgrade, they put me in the Sheriden Suite- on the top floor of the east wing, with a full separate sitting room, two bathrooms, terrace, etc.. i was shocked nonetheless when i opened the door.

Not bad for 140 pounds!

Old Oct 4, 2001, 12:59 pm
DOC 2 BE

The New West Wing has the better A/C. Have been told that the regular rooms in East Wing are also smallish; although your suite sounds suite!

I was given an "apartment suite" -- standard King bedroom in one room and next door, is a full room with a kitchen, stove, microwave, TV and dining room table with a coffee table. It was great for the wife to work while I slept!

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 10-04-2001).]

Old Oct 4, 2001, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DOC 2 BE:

I was given an "apartment suite" -- standard King bedroom in one room and next door, is a full room with a kitchen, stove, microwave, TV and dining room table with a coffee table. It was great for the wife to work while I slept!

</font>
Wow! That's the kind of thing I really prefer. The only time I've tried it so far was at the Las Vegas Hilton GVC. I guess I'll be staying at the Metropole next time I'm in London (which won't be soon though).

Is it standard for the Metropole to upgrade Gold VIP members like this?

Do they have a club room? Well, I guess one would not need one if one had a kitchen in the suite...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.