Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

No Water or No Hot Water: Reason for Money Back Guarantee? Compensation?

Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Describe Compensation for Deficient Facilities/Service at UK Hiltons

I recently stayed in one of the better rooms (#448) at the Hilton London Paddington, where there was no hot water in the morning. Not enough time to transfer rooms to take a shower, due to need to get to Heathrow. I asked the hotel for reimbursement of the 35,000 HHonors points I'd redeemed for this stay. They said they weren't authorized to credit points (vs. U.S. Hyatts which can be quite generous). I didn't press the matter, figuring I'd contact Hilton Corporate when I returned to the U.S. Just now, Hilton Corporate credited back half the points on an "exception" basis, but said the hotel had the primary responsibility to provide compensation.

Anyone want to share their experiences seeking compensation for major shortcomings at pricey UK (or other international) properties?

[This message has been edited by Explore (edited Mar 05, 2004).]
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:30 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Explore:
They said they weren't authorized to credit points</font>
Why not to contact the hotel and request the other half of the compensation to be paid in GBP?

[This message has been edited by KVS (edited Mar 05, 2004).]
Old May 1, 2004, 2:49 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Service Recovery Folio Entry/Hot Water Issue Compensation

I was recently at a Hilton hotel where the hot water ran out in the middle of my shower, and it remained unavailable for about one hour thereafter. I called and they were going to send an engineer, and one never came, but the hot water came back in an hour.

I casually mentioned the problem at check out, and the person said "I can take $20 off your bill, is that ok?" Actually I had gotten in most of my shower, and it was a Saturday and I was not in a rush, so it realy was not such a big deal so I said that was fine.

However, it would seem that $20 is a small compensation amount regarding the inoperability of a utility as important as hot water.

The $20 was taken off the bill in a line item called
"service recovery: revenue"
Then there were 3 other lines with deductions of $1 $2 with the same entry that might have been the taxes associated with the $20.

It made me curious if they train the front desk agents to first offer $20, then if the person says something offer X, and then offer Y if they still complain.

I would be curious too if the $20 is some kind of "opening" standard reply, or how that all works.

Normally during the week it could have been a more troubling issue if in a rush, etc.
Old May 4, 2004, 12:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
It made me curious if they train the front desk agents to first offer $20, then if the person says something offer X, and then offer Y if they still complain.
I just read in this thread (Hilton LAX never again), that bayotter was offerred $20 off their bill in compensation for having to wait over an hour to check in, in the HH check-in line.

I have not had any experience with this but it would not surprise me if the front desk personnel are given a "script" to help deal with dissatisfied customers.
It would make sense from a Customer Service perspective as well as a normal "troubleshooting" procedure in trying to please said guest before escalating the issue to their manager.
Old May 4, 2004, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a "missing" hot water problem at my last stay at the infamous Reno Hilton 2-3 years ago. They gave me my $35 room for fre and waved saying "We hope you come back". There were a few very p!ssed others at the FD yelling and screaming. All the FD managers were obviously hiding and the clerks were taking all the flak.

Recently I had a host of problems at a DT (noise, water, dirt etc)and went down to check out 2 days early. After refusing to get the FD manager or MOD, the FD clerk listened to my tale of woes and offered to take 1/3 off my bill. I said no, and GET THE GM. So she disappeared, returned in 2 minutes and took 100% off the bill.

MisterNice
Old May 4, 2004, 5:44 pm

Asking for the GM is almost always 100% return on your money.Most of the time you never see the GM because they know if you asked for them,your already very displeased.
Old May 5, 2004, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Does anyone have any experience of raising service complaints with Hilton Corporate or the Diamond Desk. I had a very unsatisfactory experience on a recent stay but really couldnt be bothered arguing with the token gesture they gave. I didnt see the point arguing, and frankly I had better uses for my time then than demanding to see the GM. I did however pay a lot and I am not happy.

Also any good email addresses to escalate this too would be appreciated.
Old May 5, 2004, 1:17 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Corporate Will Try To Bump Complaint To Property

Hello,

It seems the defacto compensation if you are really displeased is waiver of one night room charges, and possibly an invitation for a comp night in the future if you are lucky.

I would write a letter to the GM of the hotel.

Otherwise per your question, email addresses are:
[email protected]
*He is a vp in HHonors, and he will probably give your letter to someon for handling;
[email protected]
*Not sure exactly where this goes.

I think the most the Diamond Desk can do is give you some points, and I don't even know if they do that.

I once had a problem at a hotel and they offered me 200 points .
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:06 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF

I recently stayed at an Embassy Suites in LV for four nights with a friend. During the stay, there was a gas main break which cut off the hotel from hot water for approx. 38 hrs. from 2am (Sat) to the following night at 8pm (Sun). Note, this occured w/i the hotel and was not a broader neighborhood issue. This appears to be not the direct fault of the hotel, although whether the gas main/pipes were properly maintained is subject to conjecture.

While trying to be understanding and patient, we did inquire a few times as to the status and ETA of hot water. It continued to be a moving target. The front desk did comp. one night's room (we were paying approx. $130/night). And they did offer free access to the Spa at Hard Rock Hotel (across street) -- a $20 value -- for showering.

These offers were generous, yet appropriate. And we didn't have to request it -- they offered w/o prodding. What is still bugging my friend and me is that there was never any written follow up and/or apology on the part of the hotel.

My question is, despite the reductions and Spa offer, would you expect the GM to write each customer as a goodwill gesture? For perspective, my friend is HH Silver and I am Diamond (the reservation was under his name -- same room either way at ES)). Not that I believe our status should matter in this case, but I offer it in case others view differently. Also, before someone asks, they were able to serve breakfast. Not sure how, because they appeared to be using gas. This also leaves a little element of sceptical doubt in my mind.

What do you think? And has anyone else had similar experiences and what did the hotel do?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
If everything else with the stay was fine I think that one night free and the $20 pass seems to be adequate compensation IMO.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
From the thread title, I thought maybe all Embassy Suites had stopped including hot water in the room rate or something!

I wouldn't expect a "written followup and/or apology on the part of the hotel." Sure, it would be nice, but don't count on it. Hotels generally don't seem to do things like this (I'm thinking of other disruptions I have suffered, such as false fire alarms in the wee hours of the morning and so on). It's water under the bridge and frankly, they're too busy running the hotel.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice
I had a stay at the same ES 12/30-12/31/03 and also had no hot water for the morning shower. Called front desk and mentioned this and they comped the room. Total rate was close to $150 if memory serves me correct. Was happy with that.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:55 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
From the thread title, I thought maybe all Embassy Suites had stopped including hot water in the room rate or something!

I wouldn't expect a "written followup and/or apology on the part of the hotel." Sure, it would be nice, but don't count on it. Hotels generally don't seem to do things like this (I'm thinking of other disruptions I have suffered, such as false fire alarms in the wee hours of the morning and so on). It's water under the bridge and frankly, they're too busy running the hotel.
Sorry, I guess my title could be misinterpretted.

Your point is well taken. And the responses clearly place my expectations in the minority. I understand that, when you say "running the hotel", you mean the day-to-day operational issues. But, it also seems to me that part of the manager's job is to facilitate repeat business, i.e. ensure guests are pleased and willing to return. A short written apology would take so little time and would go a long way to fostering goodwill, esp. in a town that has so many hotel rooms/choices. And the fact that "hotels generally don't seem to do things like this" (and I agree with the statement) would make the effort stand out that much more.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by wth
Sorry, I guess my title could be misinterpretted.

Your point is well taken. And the responses clearly place my expectations in the minority. I understand that, when you say "running the hotel", you mean the day-to-day operational issues. But, it also seems to me that part of the manager's job is to facilitate repeat business, i.e. ensure guests are pleased and willing to return. A short written apology would take so little time and would go a long way to fostering goodwill, esp. in a town that has so many hotel rooms/choices. And the fact that "hotels generally don't seem to do things like this" (and I agree with the statement) would make the effort stand out that much more.
A short written apology to ONE PERSON would take little time.

A short written apology to hundreds of guests would take a LOT of time. That's the problem. Evey customer (especially FlyerTalkers, who are a pretty whiny bunch overall) sees things from their narrow perspective, as though they are the one and only guest in the entire hotel.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 4:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
A short written apology to ONE PERSON would take little time.

A short written apology to hundreds of guests would take a LOT of time. That's the problem. ...
Actually, if the staff knew how to build a simple mail merge document, it wouldn't take any longer to write all the guests in the hotel than it takes to write one guest. As far as the costs, that would be another story.

Last edited by bigjim; Feb 8, 2005 at 4:51 am Reason: trying to get the quote right

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.